Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: General Question about US League Skill Levels

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I was under the impression that the CHL that was referenced was the Central Hockey League. Which wouldn't be younger players, but older players, that probably played NCAA or juniors and can't hack the NHL, AHL or even the ECHL.
    Yea, that is what I was referencing... The Central Hockey League... The pro league that is based around the Central US....
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I just want to thank everyone for the responses so far....I am learning a lot.

Comment

The question was skill level…so size and strength get taken out of the equation. Please just take note of what the NTDP U18s just did to Michigan (#3 at the time) and what that truly means. The US u18s have lost several games to USHL teams already. In terms of skill, D1 is overrated….there are 60+ NCAA teams and only 16 USHL teams. What's harder to play? That said (yes, I know I'm not following directions):

1. NHL
        2. AHL
        3. ECHL
        4. OHL
        5. WHL
        6. USHL
        7. NCAA D1
        8 QMJHL
        5. NCAA D3
        7. NAHL
        8. MSHSL

Comment

The first five levels are simple: NHL, AHL, ECHL, CHL, NCAA D1. It's not absurd to argue the order of ECHL, CHL and NCAA D1 but that's generally the proper order.

The order of the next three is debatable because there is wide variation in quality within each level, but the next three are USHL, NCAA D3, EJHL, probably in that order. The best USHL and EJHL teams would crush bottom-half NCAA D3 teams. But the top NCAA D3 teams would beat many USHL teams and probably all EJHL teams. So the order of these three depends on the metric you're using, though USHL probably comes out on top. After these comes ACHA, followed by NAHL and then all the top school-based leagues (prep schools, Minnesota, Massachusetts, etc.) as well as possibly some other junior leagues (I haven't kept up with recent changes in these leagues) and placing all these in order could be its own thread, though I would guess Minnesota comes out on top.
          Last edited by Meehan Popcorn Guy; 12-17-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Innova View Post
            I just want to thank everyone for the responses so far....I am learning a lot.
            What besides that we don't agree on much of anything?
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              What besides that we don't agree on much of anything?
              Everyone had NHL first! Seriously, the discussion is what I was looking for when I started this thread....not the exact order.

Comment

Originally posted by midwest hockey View Post
                The question was skill level…so size and strength get taken out of the equation. Please just take note of what the NTDP U18s just did to Michigan (#3 at the time) and what that truly means. The US u18s have lost several games to USHL teams already. In terms of skill, D1 is overrated….there are 60+ NCAA teams and only 16 USHL teams. What's harder to play? That said (yes, I know I'm not following directions):

1. NHL
                2. AHL
                3. ECHL
                4. OHL
                5. WHL
                6. USHL
                7. NCAA D1
                8 QMJHL
                5. NCAA D3
                7. NAHL
                8. MSHSL
                My brain hurts

Comment

1. NHL
                  2. AHL
                  3. ECHL
                  4. OHL
                  5. WHL
                  6. USHL
                  7. NCAA D1
                  8 QMJHL
                  5. NCAA D3
                  7. NAHL
                  8. MSHSL
                  Ah thanks...bbdl.

There is little question that the OHL and WHL (Canadian Hockey Leagues) are a step above the USHL. But they just have younger players than the NCAA and players that have moved to those leagues from the NCAAs have done well. This is what I was referring to...NCAA D1 is 3.5 on the above list.

Sorry about the Canadian diversion...I know its not in the question. Its just an important distinction that fans should understand.
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

1. NHL
                    2. AHL
                    3. ECHL
                    4. OHL
                    5. WHL
                    6. USHL
                    7. NCAA D1
                    8 QMJHL
                    5. NCAA D3
                    7. NAHL
                    8. MSHSL
                    No way is the USHL higher up than NCAA D1, you are just flat out wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X