PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Great Lakes Invitational, One like no other as part of the Winter Festival

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Huskiefan906
12-15-2013, 08:01 AM
It is finally time for an unusual GLI going outside.
Not sure how the ice will hold up for 4 games, and what kind of crowds will watch, but should be very exciting this year to see who takes the trophy.

Tech will be upset about the first half, but have been steadily improving.
Western seems to be hot or cold this year.
MSU is experiencing some highs and some lows
Michigan has recovered, but should be missing some spark plugs due to the World Juniors.

UMICH
12-15-2013, 02:20 PM
It is finally time for an unusual GLI going outside.
Not sure how the ice will hold up for 4 games, and what kind of crowds will watch, but should be very exciting this year to see who takes the trophy.

Tech will be upset about the first half, but have been steadily improving.
Western seems to be hot or cold this year.
MSU is experiencing some highs and some lows
Michigan has recovered, but should be missing some spark plugs due to the World Juniors.

Tech is a good team.
Western is remembering who they are.
state is a joke, but they have a dent defense along with good (for now) goal-tending.
Michigan is unlike any other Michigan team in the past. They are responsible defensively (most of the time) but they lack offensive punch. The minor offensive firepower that we have will be gone to World Juniors (as is typical).

I actually like Tech this year to reclaim their tourny....

They played Michigan very tough in Yost this year even though they were swept.

Biddco
12-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Looking forward to going to this. I'll only be at the semifinals because of a wedding but this shall be a good time. Too bad it didn't happen last year because now there will not be any unique jerseys.

Michigan has to be the favorite this year.

Spartanforlife4
12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
Looking forward to going to this. I'll only be at the semifinals because of a wedding but this shall be a good time. Too bad it didn't happen last year because now there will not be any unique jerseys.

Michigan has to be the favorite this year.

We'll have a throwback.

1966 Throwback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HaQUNm9KZw)

I would expect there to be a green counterpart but maybe we'll just stick with the scripts for the away jersey.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-15-2013, 06:11 PM
Sparty vs. Western for the title is my guess. MSU will use the experience gained playing Tech in Houghton, plus Tech's frustrating last four games to put together a 2-1 or 3-2 win in the semis despite a late comeback attempt by the Huskies. Western would like another shot at this one after getting stonewalled by Tech last year, and will use that motivation to beat Michigan in their semi. Flip a coin for the results of the Chumpionship and Championship games.

Biddco
12-15-2013, 06:39 PM
We'll have a throwback.

1966 Throwback (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HaQUNm9KZw)

I would expect there to be a green counterpart but maybe we'll just stick with the scripts for the away jersey.

Most excellent. Of course Tech will be in their beautiful gold 3rds which are one of the best in college hockey.

Spartanforlife4
12-15-2013, 07:50 PM
Sparty vs. Western for the title is my guess. MSU will use the experience gained playing Tech in Houghton, plus Tech's frustrating last four games to put together a 2-1 or 3-2 win in the semis despite a late comeback attempt by the Huskies. Western would like another shot at this one after getting stonewalled by Tech last year, and will use that motivation to beat Michigan in their semi. Flip a coin for the results of the Chumpionship and Championship games.

Well, Western stifled our offense at Munn and Lawson, so if those semi-final results happen I would say WMU wins 3-0 or 3-1. But, maybe we'll improve with some rest and getting a couple guys back and have a better lineup offensively.

manurespreader
12-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Every team in this is improving. Will WMU beat Michigan? Maybe, but my money is on Michigan. Will Tech beat MSU i'm guessing yes.

Another question, what will be the ice conditions. A lot of these outdoor games Have terrible ice. Seating will not be great, agreed.

wolverineTrumpet
12-16-2013, 08:13 AM
I will be warm and in Texas for this years GLI. I will have about as good a view of the ice from Houston as I would have in one of the first rows at Commerica. Having gone to the Michigan vs. aOSU game in Cleveland's baseball stadium, I can say that hockey in a baseball stadium is dumb. I'd rather watch hockey at the Joe. I'm one of the very few Michigan fans that actually enjoys the whole tournament and will go to all 4 games. I can't imagine sitting outside for 2 games in a row with bad sight lines. That sounds miserable to me.

As for the games, there's no telling what the ice conditions will be like. I think we see a Tech vs. Michigan final that could go either way.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-16-2013, 09:25 AM
I usually go both days, but this year I'm only going on the second day. These outdoor games have jumped the shark.

streaker
12-16-2013, 10:34 AM
I usually go both days, but this year I'm only going on the second day. These outdoor games have jumped the shark.

Watching these four teams play each other, outside... compares to watching paint dry. Michigan will be without its two top points earners and the other three teams struggle to score under *normal* ice conditions. I'll take the under 15 for total goals scored in the tourney.

Shirtless Guy
12-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Michigan Tech really needs to make some noise in this tournament to get their team headed in the right direction after two disappointing weekends against BGSU and BSU.

Spartanforlife4
12-16-2013, 11:41 AM
I seem to remember the Cold War having pretty good sight lines. That was the last outdoor game I was at. I just can't see a baseball stadium having good sight lines though. When the upperdeck tickets are the most expensive that should signal a problem. I've been in those for Tigers games and it's not like you can't see anything, but they're pretty far from the field and it's really hard to tell what the ball is doing when it jumps off the bat.

I don't know how well the alumni game is going to sell, but since the Classic isn't being played here they should've just lined the rink up along one baseline. and set up temporary stands on the other side. But since I'm saving for Pasadena I guess I don't have to worry about that this year unless free tickets get handed to me, so I'll just have to worry about if the TV view looks good.

Also holy *$%# they're charging $150 for some seats for the alumni game?

owslachief
12-16-2013, 01:40 PM
I am very much looking forward to not going this season; in fact, the anticipation has been building for some time.

Shirtless Guy
12-16-2013, 01:43 PM
I am very much looking forward to not going this season; in fact, the anticipation has been building for some time.I will watch on TV but I had ZERO interest in attending this tournament in a baseball park.

ubish
12-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Western is remembering who they are.

Thanks for noticing! The first part of the year has been up and down, but the team is starting to show flashes. They are as you say, remembering who they are and are starting to play solid Bronco hockey.

bigblue_dl
12-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I will watch on TV but I had ZERO interest in attending this tournament in a Detroilet.
Fixed that for ya.

Shirtless Guy
12-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Fixed that for ya.
I have no problems going back to the Joe even though it makes zero sense that the red wings are the last one to get a new building.

FadeToBlack&Gold
12-17-2013, 02:11 PM
I have no problems going back to the Joe even though it makes zero sense that the red wings are the last one to get a new building.

From the standpoint of team success it doesn't make sense, but when the plans for Comerica Park and Ford Field were first formulated in the mid-90s, the Joe was only 20 years old and still a serviceable building compared to other, even older facilities in the NHL at the time. Tiger Stadium had outlived its usefulness, and the city badly wanted the Lions back downtown for obvious economic reasons, so their stadiums were given priority and built next to each other.

streaker
12-17-2013, 03:52 PM
From the standpoint of team success it doesn't make sense, but when the plans for Comerica Park and Ford Field were first formulated in the mid-90s, the Joe was only 20 years old and still a serviceable building compared to other, even older facilities in the NHL at the time. Tiger Stadium had outlived its usefulness, and the city badly wanted the Lions back downtown for obvious economic reasons, so their stadiums were given priority and built next to each other.

That's correct. The problems that the Joe has were there from its inception: crowded aisles, not enough restroom facilities (especially for women) , poor pressbox and suites, not to mention the idiotic staircases at both entry points, especially the one leading out to the habi-trail to either Cobo or the garage. The stadium itself is not bad for general viewing. If anyone had been to the Olympia they would have loved how close the seats were to the ice (unless in the nosebleeds where the pitch was about a 7% grade or more), but overall it was also a poorly inefficient structure and made JLA look genius.