PDA

View Full Version : RPI 2013/14 Part II: The HFH is Covered with Frozen Drivel

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Ralph Baer
12-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Continue

Last thread http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?105599-RPI-2013-14-Sunny-with-a-slight-chance-of-drivel

FlagDUDE08
12-09-2013, 06:53 PM
About time :)

DrDemento
12-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Took me a bit of time to find this thread-I had half expected a different title. Let me throw this one out there-we are currently the best first period team in the nation(outscoring opponents 27-5). I am not sure i can ever remember an RPI so dominating in scoring in the first 20 minutes. Why is it then-that after the first 20 minutes we have been outscored and shot in both the second and third periods? Are we changing our approach after leading in the first period? Are other teams adapting to us so quickly after falling behind? Is this a classic case of Jekyll and Hyde? What needs to be done?

FlagDUDE08
12-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Took me a bit of time to find this thread-I had half expected a different title. Let me throw this one out there-we are currently the best first period team in the nation(outscoring opponents 27-5). I am not sure i can ever remember an RPI so dominating in scoring in the first 20 minutes. Why is it then-that after the first 20 minutes we have been outscored and shot in both the second and third periods? Are we changing our approach after leading in the first period? Are other teams adapting to us so quickly after falling behind? Is this a classic case of Jekyll and Hyde? What needs to be done?

Maybe our conditioning is worse than we thought... although based on some of our games, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ralph Baer
12-10-2013, 12:23 AM
Took me a bit of time to find this thread-I had half expected a different title. I was too lazy to look through the previous thread for other title suggestions. My first thought was "The Road to Lake Placid is Covered with Frozen Drivel" but that sounded too negative.

Red Cloud
12-10-2013, 06:24 AM
I was too lazy to look through the previous thread for other title suggestions. My first thought was "The Road to Lake Placid is Covered with Frozen Drivel" but that sounded too negative.

I'd have gone with just "Drivel."

GRussinko
12-10-2013, 06:44 AM
I'd have gone with just "Drivel."

Or perhaps "Dribble."

Ralph Baer
12-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Or perhaps "Dribble."

That's for the thread about the basketball team. ;)

FlagDUDE08
12-10-2013, 07:58 AM
So one of Ralph's typical tags is now "fire flagdude08"? I'm honoured. :D

Ralph Baer
12-10-2013, 08:29 AM

You can't be sure it is me. ;)

I add that most of the times it has appeared, it wasn't me who posted it.

Red Cloud
12-10-2013, 08:34 AM

No, you're honored.

FlagDUDE08
12-10-2013, 09:28 AM
You can't be sure it is me. ;)

I add that most of the times it has appeared, it wasn't me who posted it.

I'm well aware that it was jericho who thought I should join the circus. ;)

DeepRed72
12-10-2013, 10:13 AM

Here's a thought - let's petition to make college hockey games only 20 minutes. After all college basketball has a different length of game than the pros so why not hockey? Actually my theory on Dr. D's cogent observation is that after the first period Appert is telling the boys to ease off the gas pedal and save something for the Nationals :-)

Ralph Baer
12-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Here's a thought - let's petition to make college hockey games only 20 minutes. After all college basketball has a different length of game than the pros so why not hockey? Actually my theory on Dr. D's cogent observation is that after the first period Appert is telling the boys to ease off the gas pedal and save something for the Nationals :-)

But the Nationals play baseball. Why should he do that? ;)

engineerhockeyfan
12-10-2013, 10:54 AM

It seems to me that it is all a matter of adjustments. The opposition makes adjustments in the second and third period, and we don't counter.
I believe that we continue to play the same in the second period, and if we still have the lead in the third, we do seem to sit back a little.
The games we have given up the lead in the third, we have very little offensive zone play.
At least, that is the way it looks to me. Too cautious in the third period.

Red Cloud
12-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Getting out of the gate quickly is always important, so on that, it's hard to fault this team whatsoever. Up 2-0 in the first six or so minutes (or less) both nights last weekend, that works. Always better to be playing from in front than trying to play catch up.

I'm not really seeing a lack of conditioning here as much as a lack of effort - not that they don't care, but more that after going up by multiple goals, that the job is done. In the past Appert has accused his teams of "wanting it to be easy" and the challenge really now is to get past that and put together the full 60. From everything we've seen this is a team that needs to play like it's down 2-0 when it is up 2-0, and that's got to be a psychological angle. You know you're not down 2-0, so it's difficult to play like that.

This is a team on the cusp of being able to do something really special, and the hurdles that need to be cleared in order to get there are relatively minor. We've already seen a team capable of controlling both sides of the ice for large swaths of games, we just need to see it even more.

Have heard some complaints about the 3rd period on Saturday - against a better team there might have been problems, and that may be true. RPI did look complacent there. But there can certainly be some allowances for the opponent as well. In that case, just get the 2 points and move on. More worrisome is the 2nd period on Friday which wasn't played with a whole lot of intensity.

turk181
12-10-2013, 11:35 AM
For Sunday's game vs Team US-18........ Among the opportunities to help raise awareness that afternoon is the elimination of music over the sound system as well as the exclusion of the goal horn as those with autism are sensitive to loud music. Additionally, the volume of the public address announcer's microphone will be lowered. Also, because of sensitivity to bright lights, the video board will not feature flashing displays....http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/2013/12/10/MHOCK_1210130453.aspx?path=hockey

turk181
12-10-2013, 11:42 AM
Higgsy's goal going viral?......http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie-Robenhymer/Brock-Higgs-or-Pavel-Datsyuk/99/56325

Waite21
12-10-2013, 11:45 AM
Or perhaps "Dribble."

That's for the thread about the basketball team. ;)

I think I'll refrain from starting the thread about RPI's basketball team until they get their defensive average under 107 points per game. :eek:

Ralph Baer
12-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Higgsy's goal going viral?......http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Julie-Robenhymer/Brock-Higgs-or-Pavel-Datsyuk/99/56325

Not quite viral with just over 10,000 hits. :)