X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2013/14 Part II: The HFH is Covered with Frozen Drivel

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
    Ever since the scourge has hit our thread, discussion has slowed to a crawl. Sigh.

Anyone care to actually talk about hockey? Thoughts on the upcoming weekend? While we have had trouble against Princeton at home, typically we take care of business in NJ (and given how the Tigers are doing, this should hopefully be a morale boosting win). As for Quinnipiac, while they are of course doing well again this year, we managed to tie them at home last year (and earlier this year), so I hope we continue to play tough against them. No reason we can't walk away with at least 3 points this weekend!
    Recent troubles have occurred at Princeton, but there is a silver lining in that we did beat them at home this year. It will certainly be an interesting game. As for Quinnipiac, there is a matter of the W-L-T cycle when we play in Hamden that still has yet to be broken. I will let your own research dictate what my prediction is, as I typically predict on the basis of streaks.

Comment

Ever since the scourge has hit our thread, discussion has slowed to a crawl. Sigh.

Anyone care to actually talk about hockey? Thoughts on the upcoming weekend? While we have had trouble against Princeton at home, typically we take care of business in NJ (and given how the Tigers are doing, this should hopefully be a morale boosting win). As for Quinnipiac, while they are of course doing well again this year, we managed to tie them at home last year (and earlier this year), so I hope we continue to play tough against them. No reason we can't walk away with at least 3 points this weekend!
      The usual. We need to play for 60 (or 65) minutes on both ends of the ice for each game.

I was happy to see 17 and 19 score goals on Friday. Saturday we fell behind but mounted a comeback that was thwarted by a penalty when we thought we tied it.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUD View Post
        Science shows those who talk to themselves think that they have a higher IQ. A little voice told them so.
        -
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
          I want to take this opportunity to apologize to FlagDUDE08 for the assertion that his significant other was not real. I have it on good authority that FlagDUDE is in fact dating Miss Michigan.
          For some reason I read that as "Miss Michelin" and thought "that makes sense".
          Originally posted by moe24
          Thread over... REDRocket wins!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            -
            And they're talking to the smartest person in the room.
            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Princeton's most recent two games were played last weekend in British Columbia. They shellacked Simon Fraser, 8-1 and lost a squeaker to the U of BC, 1-0.

Interestingly, the same two Canadian schools faced off last weekend against North Dakota, which may not be quite the powerhouse this year that it has been in other years but still is considered worthy of considerable respect. The Sioux also lost a squeaker to UBC, 3-2 in overtime, and barely got past Simon Fraser, 4-3.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                It all starts with the goaltending.
                Goaltending stats for Scott Diebold:

First 7 games (BC, BU, Sacred Heart, UNH, Harvard (2), Dartmouth):
                Goals against: 10
                Shots on goal: 184
                Goal rate: 0.054
                Save rate: 0.946

Last 12 games (Cornell, Colgate, Union (2), Mercyhurst (2), Quinippiac, Princeton, Denver (2), Ferris State, Minnesota)
                Goals against: 36
                Shots on goal: 314
                Goal rate: 0.115
                Save rate: 0.885

On a per shot basis, for every 1 goal allowed in the first 7 games, Scott is surrendering 2.1 goals in the most recent 12 games.

Comment

I know this is old news, but I really enjoyed seeing Jerry D'Amigo playng for the Leafs at the Winter Classic. At about the same time 4 years ago, he was making a name for himself at the WJC. But he didn't have a full beard back then, just perpetual 5 o'clock shadow.
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by RPIcrank View Post
                    Goaltending stats for Scott Diebold:

First 7 games (BC, BU, Sacred Heart, UNH, Harvard (2), Dartmouth):
                    Goals against: 10
                    Shots on goal: 184
                    Goal rate: 0.054
                    Save rate: 0.946

Last 12 games (Cornell, Colgate, Union (2), Mercyhurst (2), Quinippiac, Princeton, Denver (2), Ferris State, Minnesota)
                    Goals against: 36
                    Shots on goal: 314
                    Goal rate: 0.115
                    Save rate: 0.885

On a per shot basis, for every 1 goal allowed in the first 7 games, Scott is surrendering 2.1 goals in the most recent 12 games.
                    Been noticing this too. Unfortunately this is really the one place where we don't have much of a choice. We'll never know how good we could have been if Kasdorf had been healthy.

Soffer played pretty well in the U-18 exhibition, other than the goal he gave up which was on a giant rebound, but it looked a bit like nerves, especially that early in the game. Hard to tell for certain since it was an exhibition, but from what I saw the U-18s were pretty charged for the game and were trying hard to win. I realize he's not going to be a long-term answer more than likely, but he's clearly got more utility to him than the average 3rd stringer that we have seen over the years. Even if only for a change of pace or to give Diebold a night off, might be nice to see him in net in a meaningful game.

Diebold certainly needs to be stronger. He was good against Denver but he's had some pretty weak outings otherwise.
                    Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by RPIcrank
                      Good stuff, I enjoy the numerical analysis.

As a follow up, I took a look at the shooting percentages of those teams in each bucket in order to try and control for the relative strength of each group. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like collegehockeystats lists the number of ENGs scored by each team, so those are included in shooting%.

The first group of seven opponents is shooting 0.0972 as an aggregate, while the later group is shooting 0.1052 (with repeated teams counting twice).

Certainly doesn't explain the difference between the two groups, but it normalizes them a little.
                      RPI Class of 2012
                      Visit rpitv.org to watch almost every RPI Hockey home game LIVE, as well as a huge collection of on demand games from this season and seasons past, all for FREE!

Comment

Originally posted by RHamilton View Post
                        Good stuff, I enjoy the numerical analysis.

As a follow up, I took a look at the shooting percentages of those teams in each bucket in order to try and control for the relative strength of each group. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like collegehockeystats lists the number of ENGs scored by each team, so those are included in shooting%.

The first group of seven opponents is shooting 0.0972 as an aggregate, while the later group is shooting 0.1052 (with repeated teams counting twice).

Certainly doesn't explain the difference between the two groups, but it normalizes them a little.
                        It's good to find a thread where Math is allowed.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          RPI 2013/14 Part III: Math and Drivel.
                          Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            As long as there won't be a surprise quiz.
                            Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                            Benjamin Franklin
                            The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                            Gary Player

Comment

Jerry Knightley '65 to join the Ring of Honor http://www.rpiathletics.com/news/201...107140230.aspx.

Induction will be on 2/7/14 (Yale game). The 1964 NCAA squad will be honored on the same weekend.
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 01-09-2014, 11:25 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Article about Haggerty at CHN http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...6q-J4k.twitter.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X