X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
    Checking in after a long absence--some guy from Metro gets an USCHO account to spread the Roadrunner gospel? Hallelujah!

Go Bozak, and our other NHL'ers. Still can't believe we had 10 in the NHL recently, although that number may have since dropped.

I do believe we play an Ivy League school this weekend, and I'm guessing they have unattractive uniforms. Let the beer flow, and go Pios!
    All of those paying sports fans deciding to go to tractor pulls, roller derby, WWE, drag races, UFC and tattoo-a-thons, instead of DU events, to punish the Pioneers. "Oh, the humanity!"
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post

We are ever true to Brown,
      For we love our college dear,
      And wherever we may go,
      We are ready with a cheer,
      And the people always say,
      That you can't outshine Brown men,
      With their Rah! Rah! Rah! and their Ki! Yi! Yi!
      And their B-R-O-W-N.
      We prefer the drinking version-

We are ever true to Brown
      For we love our college dear
      And wherever we may go
      We are ready with a beer!
      And the people always say
      That you can't out drink Brown men
      With their scotch and rye
      And their whiskey dry
      And a B-O-U-R-B-O-N!

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

And wherever we may go
        And the people always say
        That you can't out drink Brown men
        And their whiskey dry
        And a B-O-U-R-B-O-N!

My brother used to tell me the two iron clad requirements for Pembroke ladies: They had to be ugly. And wear glasses. Are those traditions still in place?

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post

And wherever we may go
          And the people always say [whadda they say?]
          That you can't out drink Brown men [and women]
          And their whiskey dry
          And a B-O-U-R-B-O-N!

FYP.

Of course you prefer the drinking version given the fact you guys were last a national factor when Bill Gilligan was playing and Dick Toomey was the coach. I know it's unlikely but I hope the band makes the trip to Denver and CC.

Now....let's go Bruno let's go. Let's go Bruno let's go.
          Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 12-31-2013, 09:10 PM.
          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
            No connection other than the tens of thousands of graduates living and working in Denver, who received degrees at no cost to the taxpayers. Your premise is flawed and presented twice now with no evidence. Let's start with a simple question: what constitutes "connection?" in your mind? And what are these "issues" which seem to occupy so much of your time? Picking on Metro State? Please, not to make me laugh.

The University of Houston (referred to derisively by UT and A&M grads as Cougar High) is a public institution. Yet in the Phi Slamma Jamma era (multiple consecutive Final Four appearances) had difficulty filling the modest sized Hofheinz Pavillion. Rice University, one of America's finest, can only average around 20K for football, in a 70K seat stadium. But they play their games against A&M and Texas in Reliant Stadium because of the enormous crowds of local alums who show up. One is private, the other public. Both have attendance issues. From where I sit their "connection" problems are about the same as DU's: too many graduates from other schools in the market. And too many major league options for fans not connected to those schools.
            Taxpayer money: FAFSA (federal) is used by many private & for-profit schools including DU. WICHE and College in Colorado (state) subsidizes the cost for many DU students in-state and in the west.

Why would DU meddle with Metro State, if they weren't a threat? They are to DU.

It's well known that DU is having financial issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
              Taxpayer money: FAFSA (federal) is used by many private & for-profit schools including DU. WICHE and College in Colorado (state) subsidizes the cost for many DU students in-state and in the west.

Why would you bother to create an account on a hockey site just to talk crap about DU if you didn't feel threatened? (I know, dumb question on the internet). If Metro is doing so great, why do you have so much time to come be a polemic here? I gotta tell you, for someone who also lives and works in the Denver area, I don't often hear much conversation about the two, let alone sympathy for Metro over the name change.

Metro is the most fantastic institution in the Rocky Mountain region. Heck, the entire academic universe. Is that what you want? But DU and Metro are different animals. And that's fine. No, I did not grow up in the Denver area, but after coming here and getting two degrees from DU, I consider myself to be pretty well committed to and active in the Denver community... And I'm glad that both Metro and DU exist for this city.

Unless you want to talk about DU or hockey, go toot your Metro horn elsewhere.
              University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
              Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

The question, pal, is why would Metro try to poach on the name "Denver" if not to confuse easily confused Metro candidates as to the nature of the "school" they're planning to attend? And to capitalize on the academic reputation DU has built up in a century and a half. Let me help you put it in focus. During the second Bush administration, three DU grads served in the cabinet. Three metro (certificate holders?) also served in the WH during that same period: "regular or decaf?" "you want fries with that?" "has anyone seen the urinal cakes?"
                Last edited by Old Pio; 12-31-2013, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                  Why would you bother to create an account on a hockey site just to talk crap about DU if you didn't feel threatened? (I know, dumb question on the internet). If Metro is doing so great, why do you have so much time to come be a polemic here? I gotta tell you, for someone who also lives and works in the Denver area, I don't often hear much conversation about the two, let alone sympathy for Metro over the name change.

Metro is the most fantastic institution in the Rocky Mountain region. Heck, the entire academic universe. Is that what you want? But DU and Metro are different animals. And that's fine. No, I did not grow up in the Denver area, but after coming here and getting two degrees from DU, I consider myself to be pretty well committed to and active in the Denver community... And I'm glad that both Metro and DU exist for this city.

Unless you want to talk about DU or hockey, go toot your Metro horn elsewhere.
                  Yeah, but the losers he hangs out with have a low opinion of DU because of the name issue and the fact that DU gave 'em 9 inches of sandpaper dik over it. And since most of them are either unemployed or underemployed, they have plenty of time to focus on how jealous they are of DU. And how DU is somehow responsible for their abysmal lives. Excuse me: HEY, YOU MISSED A SPOT. Sorry, my Metro (grad?) yard boy is doing his customary crappy job washing my car. Where was I? Oh, yeah, the third tier losers who go to Metro undoubtedly think DU students are rich, pampered, spoiled elitist brats. And I'm proud to say that more or less accurately described me in my undergrad days. So? H*ll, I was even in a fraternity! And if this clown had come through rush, he'd have wound up on the porch eating cookies with Jugdish, Mohammed, Sidney, Clayton and Lonnie.
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 12-31-2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

The question, pal, is why would Metro try to poach on the name "Denver" if not to confuse easily confused Metro candidates as to the nature of the "school" they're planning to attend? Let me help you put it in focus. During the second Bush administration, three DU grads served in the cabinet. Three metro (certificate holders?) also served in the WH during that same period: "regular or decaf?" "you want fries with that?" "has anyone seen the urinal cakes?"
                    Your sophomore year when you lived in Centennial Halls and worked in the kitchen, didn't you used to bake urinal cakes?

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                      Your sophomore year when you lived in Centennial Halls and worked in the kitchen, didn't you used to bake urinal cakes?
                      I specialized in frosting. MMMMMMMMM, frosting.

Comment

The question, pal, is why would Metro try to poach on the name "Denver" if not to confuse easily confused Metro candidates as to the nature of the "school" they're planning to attend? And to capitalize on the academic reputation DU has built up in a century and a half. Let me help you put it in focus. During the second Bush administration, three DU grads served in the cabinet. Three metro (certificate holders?) also served in the WH during that same period: "regular or decaf?" "you want fries with that?" "has anyone seen the urinal cakes?"
                        You're proud of DU being associated with the Bush administration (9/11/01 on Bush's watch, Iraq WMD's, GITMO torture, Wall Street crimes/collapse)? Crazy.

Poach "Denver"? DU's official name is Colorado Seminary.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/03...-to-steal.html

That's who was threatened. Not a Metro grad, but a DU grad.

Comment

You're proud of DU being associated with the Bush administration (9/11/01 on Bush's watch, Iraq WMD's, GITMO torture, Wall Street crimes/collapse)? Crazy.

Poach "Denver"? DU's official name is Colorado Seminary.

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2011/03...-to-steal.html

That's who was threatened. Not a Metro grad, but a DU grad.
                          As usual, DG had it right: "bring your GED and state issued ID card" Just out of curiosity, do you even know whether you blow up a hockey puck or kick it?

Comment

As usual, DG had it right: "bring your GED and state issued ID card" Just out of curiosity, do you even know whether you blow up a hockey puck or kick it?
                            Do you blow it up ot kick it? That's a good one. Everybody knows it's neither. You serve it and generally do so with a cut spin, low to the backhand side, in the deuce court.

Blow it up or kick it. You're a real card alright.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                              FYP.

Of course you prefer the drinking version given the fact you guys were last a national factor when Bill Gilligan was playing and Dick Toomey was the coach. I know it's unlikely but I hope the band makes the trip to Denver and CC.

Now....let's go Bruno let's go. Let's go Bruno let's go.
                              Hey, we've got to get through the season somehow!

The band wouldn't care to make the trip if it was a home game. I can't imagine they've attended an away game in the past 20 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                                My brother used to tell me the two iron clad requirements for Pembroke ladies: They had to be ugly. And wear glasses. Are those traditions still in place?
                                I think Brown was recently rated one of the most attractive student bodies in the country. And I believe it. If you walk around campus all you see is model-esque figures and faces.

Comment

Working...
                                X