X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
    Not to belabor the point (that's not true, entirely to belabor the point)...

One of the NHL studio analysts was making a point about the Blackhawks the other day, and how good teams beat the teams they're supposed to beat- the Blackhawks have only lost one game to a team under .500 all year, to division rival Nashville.

8 of DU's 14 losses and 3 of 6 ties were to teams with a .500 record or worse. Makes sense how just a few of those games would really change the Pairwise picture. Of course, most of us feel like DU sits where they deserve to be. But given how many of the losses were close losses, things really could have turned out a lot differently. Hopefully next season with more time with these players, Montgomery can eliminate some of those close losses to bad teams. Goes a long way in college hockey.
    Related datum: In his 25 years as head coach at Nebraska (over 250 wins, you do the math) Tom Osborne lost only one game to a team that finished below .500.
    Last edited by Old Pio; 03-10-2014, 10:27 PM.
    2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
      Would be great if both teams could slip into the tournament. Been a quiet basketball year compared to the past few.
      Yeah, bad year for hoops at DU. Looks like the only hope for an NCAA bid is for the women, which would actually be pretty cool. Men are getting KILLED in their game today, so are done.

Good luck to lacrosse team tonight. Big game against Penn State, hope they can ride some momentum from their win vs. Notre Dame.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
        What you say works both ways. While it's true that Montgomery can work hard to "turn" some of the close losses into wins for Denver, it is also true that opposing coaches can work hard to "turn" what were some close wins for Denver into losses for Denver/wins for Denver's opponents. I'm a firm believer in hearing both sides of a case.
        Originally posted by ELFORS View Post
        Didn't score enough, 21 games with 2 goals or less leading to a record of 4-13-4. This is the true reason we deserve to be where we are.
        It all adds up very quickly.
        University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
        Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Lacrosse final:

Denver 15
          Penn State 11
          sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post

Looks like the NCHC has two teams dancing in SCSU and UND. Only way a third team gets in is by the autobid.
            I have odd premonition that somebody is gonna do this, something I have mentioned in a couple other posts, elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
              Lacrosse final:

Denver 15
              Penn State 11
              Wonder if the hockey team can borrow some of the lax team's offense?
              University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
              Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Jus sayin: Since DU's 9-1 start to last season, they have managed a 27-27-11 record. Mediocrity didn't just appear the second George Gwozdecky got fired, it's been with us for a bit longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Jus sayin: Since DU's 9-1 start to last season, they have managed a 27-27-11 record. Mediocrity didn't just appear the second George Gwozdecky got fired, it's been with us for a bit longer.
                  Especially the February slump. Even more frustrating when the Fighting North Dakotas are in the middle of their annual second half surge.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

• Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                    Especially the February slump. Even more frustrating when the Fighting North Dakotas are in the middle of their annual second half surge.
                    I hate to say it, but UND's knack for their surges is actually quite impressive. DU's '04 championship team was about the only time they pulled off such a feat. That team was in 7th place at Christmas time (after having finished in 7th the year prior)...though some people like to think there was some intervention from the spirit of Keith Magnuson, whose passing coincided with the reversal of DU's fortunes that season.
                    Last edited by Chris; 03-11-2014, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      I hate to say it, but UND's knack for their surges is actually quite impressive. DU's '04 championship team was about the only time they pulled off such a feat. That team was in 7th place at Christmas time (after having finished in 7th the year prior)...though some people like to think there was some intervention from the spirit of Keith Magnuson, whose passing coincided with the reversal of DU's fortunes that season.
                      Thank goodness under Hakstol they've never been able to finish. I really don't want to be behind them in championship count.
                      Last edited by HoosierPioneer; 03-11-2014, 10:34 AM.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Championship Game in the Women's Tourney of the Summit Conference.

Halftime score:
                        South Dakota 33
                        Denver 32

If Denver wins the game it would enter the NCAA tourney with 10 wins. The current record for fewest wins by a team playing in the women's bracket of the NCAA tourney is 12.

Comment

Final from the Summit Conference Tourney [women's bracket]:

South Dakota 82
                          Denver 71
                          Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 03-11-2014, 03:01 PM.

Comment

I was able to catch some of the women's game from my desk on ESPN3. I think South Dakota just wore them down, but pretty remarkable that a 9-22 DU team was that close to making the tournament. And good job by lacrosse beating Penn State. Looking forward to the matchup vs. Ohio State on Saturday.

Not really sure what to expect from our beloved hockey team. If a team like DU that can't seem to win 2 games in a row is somehow able to make a run in the conference tournament...then I'll be happy, but will be scratching my head at how sense this sport makes. One glimmer of hope--Brittain will be playing his final games, should be motivated, and he absolutely has the ability to steal a game or two on his own. Haven't heard an update on Didier or Shore's health. But if they and LaLeggia are playing pretty healthy, then DU could be a much improved team from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                              Haven't heard an update on Didier or Shore's health. But if they and LaLeggia are playing pretty healthy, then DU could be a much improved team from here on out.
                              Last I heard Didier was possible for this weekend, Q still out indefinitely.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

• Originally posted by Pablo View Post
                                Not really sure what to expect from our beloved hockey team. If a team like DU that can't seem to win 2 games in a row is somehow able to make a run in the conference tournament...then I'll be happy, but will be scratching my head at how sense this sport makes. One glimmer of hope--Brittain will be playing his final games, should be motivated, and he absolutely has the ability to steal a game or two on his own. Haven't heard an update on Didier or Shore's health. But if they and LaLeggia are playing pretty healthy, then DU could be a much improved team from here on out.
                                Basically, DU will have to either go on an 8 game winning streak or go 8-1 with an allowable loss to UNO. Big Sam can steal some, but this is probably too much even for him. He led DU to that overtime victory against UMD at the F5 two years back, where DU was (I believe) outshot 75-45. He can do it. But up to 8 times? Maybe, just maybe, the offense can explode for 4 a couple of times and lessen the overall burden. Maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X