X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
    HOLD ON HERE! Does that say they will honor the seniors at the CONCLUSION?? Fhat The Wuck DU?? It's always been pre-game or intermissions since I've been going. What happened? That's just plain dumb and actually disrespectful. I don't usually get wrapped up in the Coombe/University/Anti-Boone stuff... because I'm not an alum, I'm just a hockey fan! But hear me out. So......wait until after the game... when people (like me) are 3 sheets to the wind, or already headed to the parking lot before the game is over? And what, God help us, happens if DU loses the game? Anybody remember the game when they lost to who I believe was CC, the final regular game, and they had to skate the WCHA trophy around? The players looked like they were holding a casket up in the air. And what if Makowski gets a game misconduct??? I tell ya... this is bad bad baaaaaaad planning. Don't give me that "TV" crap either. I don't care if flippin Condolesa Rice or the Pope are going to be at the game..... you make it happen. What a load of dog crap. I think this is terrible, and I apologoze to those Seniors.
    Hang on now, let's not jump to conclusions. Have to consider the source. If it's coming from DU Athletics, it's often rife with inaccuracies, typos, and the like. Remember the 4-4 win or whatever it was? Perhaps it was supposed to say they'd be honored at the conclusion of the first or second period. And the game isn't televised Saturday.
    University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
    Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by 32 Degrees! View Post
      HOLD ON HERE! Does that say they will honor the seniors at the CONCLUSION?? Fhat The Wuck DU?? It's always been pre-game or intermissions since I've been going. What happened? That's just plain dumb and actually disrespectful. I don't usually get wrapped up in the Coombe/University/Anti-Boone stuff... because I'm not an alum, I'm just a hockey fan! But hear me out. So......wait until after the game... when people (like me) are 3 sheets to the wind, or already headed to the parking lot before the game is over? And what, God help us, happens if DU loses the game? Anybody remember the game when they lost to who I believe was CC, the final regular game, and they had to skate the WCHA trophy around? The players looked like they were holding a casket up in the air. And what if Makowski gets a game misconduct??? I tell ya... this is bad bad baaaaaaad planning. Don't give me that "TV" crap either. I don't care if flippin Condolesa Rice or the Pope are going to be at the game..... you make it happen. What a load of dog crap. I think this is terrible, and I apologoze to those Seniors.
      Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
      You can just hear the PA guy: "Wait, wait, wait. Don't leave yet. Yes this season was a gigantic fuster cluck. But we want to honor our seniors. Especially the guy who may be the best goalie in college hockey this year. Seriously. Stop."

No honoring of our hockey immortals, no playing of the Alma Mater, a jelly donut in the locker room and honoring our seniors when most of the tiny "crowd" is heading home. Perfect.
      Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
      Hang on now, let's not jump to conclusions. Have to consider the source. If it's coming from DU Athletics, it's often rife with inaccuracies, typos, and the like. Remember the 4-4 win or whatever it was? Perhaps it was supposed to say they'd be honored at the conclusion of the first or second period. And the game isn't televised Saturday.
      Now let the record show that I am well known worldwide for my lack of perception, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think I'm detecting a trace amount of dissatisfaction with the planned format for Saturday night.

Now just for the sake of illustration, let's say that Denver does lose the game by a lopsided score and droves of fans are headed for their cars with fifteen minutes to go in the third period. Moreover, let's say that Makowski is issued what would be an extremely rare misconduct given his career penalty minute totals. Let's say that--heaven forbid--Sammy [who is no more than one of the four or five best goalies in the history of the program] suffers an injury on Friday and is unable to dress for Saturday's game. Finally, let's say that by the time the final buzzer sounds after a 6-3 Miami win, and there are still dozens, I say dozens, of fans still left in the stands, I think I'm detecting a sentiment that says this would be an improper scenario in which to bid a fond "adieu" to the departing seniors.

Geez, you guys are a tough crowd to please.
      Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 03-05-2014, 08:33 PM.
      sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
        Now let the record show that I am well known worldwide for my lack of perception, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think I'm detecting a trace amount of dissatisfaction with the planned format for Saturday night.

Now just for the sake of illustration, let's say that Denver does lose the game by a lopsided score and droves of fans are headed for their cars with fifteen minutes to go in the third period. Moreover, let's say that Makowski is issued what would be an extremely rare misconduct given his career penalty minute totals. Let's say that--heaven forbid--Sammy [who is no more than one of the four or five best goalies in the history of the program] suffers an injury on Friday and is unable to dress for Saturday's game. Finally, let's say that by the time the final buzzer sounds after a 6-3 Miami win, and there are still dozens, I say dozens, of fans still left in the stands, I think I'm detecting a sentiment that says this would be an improper scenario in which to bid a fond "adieu" to the departing seniors.

Geez, you guys are a tough crowd to please.
        Home equipment can't detect that sentiment. It takes professional gear.
        2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
          Home equipment can't detect that sentiment. It takes professional gear.

Sing it with me kids!

Long may we cherish her
          Faithful and true
          University of Denver
          For me and you!

[But mostly me and, quite frankly, not so much you]

Comment

Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
            Sing it with me kids!

Long may we cherish her
            Faithful and true
            University of Denver
            For me and you!

[But mostly me and, quite frankly, not so much you]
            "She's the pride of Colorado. Hail to Denver U."

Comment

My home sarcasm meter just went kaflooey

Big nite in MSG for Bozie last night in Leafs 3-2 OT win against Rangahs. He scores the opening goal on his first career penalty shot and pots the OT winner.
              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

No no no, you guys got it all wrong. The Athletic Department has it all planned out correctly. First of all, they got a last minute cancellation and the game will be televised nationally, and the cameras were instructed to give plenty of Boone-time, Brittain will get the shutout, Makowski will get a hat trick, and the crowd will be rockin' to the end. With that all lined up, of course it would be appropriate to honor the seniors at the end, not some pansy intermission. Not much else I can say.

Comment

Holy smokes, looks like DU totally rocked in the cross country ski championships today. Women finished 2, 7 and 13, and men finished 2, 5 and 8. Utah had poor results for some of their skiers, as did Colorado. So it looks like DU will be in the lead after today. Great job, skiers!

Update: yep, DU with a good lead after the second day:

DU 299
                  Utah 248
                  Colorado 241
                  New Mexico 231
                  Vermont 186

I have to say, I like our chances at this point. The main variable that I don't know the answer to, is whether DU is as strong in the longer XC races that will be held Saturday, as they are in the shorter XC races that happened today. If DU can expect similar results in the XC races on Saturday as they got today, then it would take a big disaster in the slalom races tomorrow for DU to lose. If DU is weaker in the longer XC events, and if Utah and Colorado have a good day in the slalom tomorrow, then it will end up being very close. DU has two contenders to win the slalom tomorrow--it will be interesting to see how aggressively or conservatively they ski. Also, DU will need a much better showing tomorrow from the woman that placed 28th in the GS on the first day.
                  Last edited by Pablo; 03-06-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

After Neb-O swept Denver in Magness Arena--on the basis of overtime goals by Josh Archibald earlier this season--I suggested the Pioneers keep on eye on him when the teams met in Omaha. That advice went unheeded as Archibald scored a third consecutive game winning goal versus the Pioneers.

Before last weekend's series I suggested the Pioneers keep an eye on Chase Balisy and Shane Berschbach. The Denvers did a splendid job in holding Berschbach to a mere three assists and Balisy to just four goals--including a hat trick and the game winning goal on Saturday.

As Denver prepares for its series against Miami I will offer the advice that the Pioneers pay particular attention to Austin Czarnik and Riley Barber. When the formation and alignment of the NCHC was announced the one player I was most eager to see in person was Austin Czarnik. Small in stature and perhaps generously listed as being 5-9/150 pounds, Czarnik is nevertheless a dominant force when on the ice. Coming to the conclusion of his junior year he has already amassed well over 100 points [35-82-117]. While just six of his goals have come on the power play an astonishing seven have been short handed goals. In short, Czarnik is a superb skater and penalty killer. Denver is well advised to be aware of Czarnik every shift he takes.

Riley Barber is a sophomore who has already scored 77 points in his career--exactly the same number Czarnik posted through his first two years at Miami. It's safe to say Barber will eclispe that number either this weekend or in the playoffs. In tandem, Barber and Czarnik have scored 29 of Miami's 92 goals this season, nearly a third of the team's goals. If Denver doesn't do a better job of defending Czarnik and Barber than it did versus Archibald, Balisy and Berschbach it may be a long and disappointing end to the regular season for the Pioneers.

Because Miami is locked into eighth place in the NCHC standings the Redhawks may approach this series with the notion there is nothing to lose by pressing the attack and paying somewhat more attention to offense than defense. While that could provide Denver some openings for counter attacks, it also would require Denver to scrutinize Czarnik and Barber closely when either or both are on the ice.

Comment

Good update and great job by the Pios today. ( I saw a update with DU at 301 and UT at 246, but no matter what, we made a huge leap today) Was that expected? From what I read about seeding's, it looks like our men slalom could do better tomorrow then they did in the GS yesterday where they slightly underperformed. Very interesting format where all 3 skiers are counted on to contribute to team score. Mucho pressure to ski fast and not fall down. In college golf, we send out 5 players and only the 4 best rounds count..

Comment

Originally posted by thedunker View Post
                        Good update and great job by the Pios today. ( I saw a update with DU at 301 and UT at 246, but no matter what, we made a huge leap today) Was that expected? From what I read about seeding's, it looks like our men slalom could do better tomorrow then they did in the GS yesterday where they slightly underperformed. Very interesting format where all 3 skiers are counted on to contribute to team score. Mucho pressure to ski fast and not fall down. In college golf, we send out 5 players and only the 4 best rounds count..
                        Here are all the results from Days 1 and 2. DU up 299 to 248 over Utah.

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2...B_OEM_ID=18600

DU Game Notes for Miami series this weekend.

https://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf9/2...B_OEM_ID=18600

INJURY REPORT...
                        • Freshman Brad Hawkinson is expected to miss the rest of the season and receive a medical redshirt due to an upper body injury suffered early in the season.
                        • Junior Joey LaLeggia is questionable, while juniors Josiah Didier and Wade Bennett are listed as out.
                        • Sophomore Quentin Shore is also listed as out for this weekend’s regular season finale.

Terry Frei on Stastny still being with the AVs.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...trade-deadline
                        Last edited by du78; 03-06-2014, 04:52 PM.

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by COHockey View Post
                          No no no, you guys got it all wrong. The Athletic Department has it all planned out correctly. First of all, they got a last minute cancellation and the game will be televised nationally, and the cameras were instructed to give plenty of Boone-time, Brittain will get the shutout, Makowski will get a hat trick, and the crowd will be rockin' to the end. With that all lined up, of course it would be appropriate to honor the seniors at the end, not some pansy intermission. Not much else I can say.
                          Just go with the nice men, and don't make a fuss.

Comment

Does anybody else find this odd:
                            Pre season Wade Bennett was a Freshman
                            On the roster he is a Sophomore
                            On this week's injury report he is a Junior
                            And Saturday he's being honored as a Senior
                            GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post

Yeah, it's another example of the fine job being done by the crack staff [that's the staff on crack] in the Sports Information Department. Frankly, this is the biggest display of incompetence since Old Pio's S.A.T. scores were released.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                                Unless Wade went to summer school every year and/or had college credits that he brought with him, he is only a junior as he entered DU in 2011-12 as a Frosh. Wouldn't surprise me if he is graduating as a lot of players go to summer school at DU and he will be 24 at the end of this school year. Chevy graduated in 3 years as he had AP courses under his belt and went to summer school.

Beau, Nick Shore and Jay Z would have been seniors this year had they stayed.
                                Last edited by du78; 03-06-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X