This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

Honestly, if Montgomery can't get the team ready for the CC series, and if a bottom of the barrel CC sweeps DU, then DU deserves to finish mid-pack and out of the tournament. Montgomery is right to take the blame for the loss. DU came out slow and was completely outworked by CC on Friday. Gotta give credit to Owens--he gets his teams better prepared for the DU-CC rivalry than the DU coaches do.

DU can always pull some magic by winning their league tournament and getting on a run, backed by excellent goaltending and a healthy LaLeggia. But at that is extremely wishful thinking at this point. DU ski and lacrosse teams much more likely to do something good this season. Hopefully hockey can win a few games, make some noise, and go into next season with something to build on.

Comment

Originally posted by co14ers View Post
      Haven't they already been mathematically eliminated from the post season?
      There's a chance that DU can make it to the NCAAs by winning the NCHC tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
        Pioneer LAX may help you get your groove back.
        Yep, I'm stoked about the LAX team. The more I watch DU, the more the sport grows on me.

On the hockey front, I really hope the Pios put their best foot forward in these last 4 games. This past weekend was a major step back. In my time as a season ticket holder (which isn't terribly long), I can't remember DU not having home ice the first round of the conference playoffs. Does anyone know the last time this happened?

Comment

I believe their magic number is 12 to be eliminated.

Comment

I'm a Cubs fan. An affliction for which Jerry Lewis will start a new telethon.
            2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
              I agree with what you say except I don't think Jussi, Nick or Scott stay even if George was here.
              The only one I think might have stayed around was Shore. He was the last to sign, right? Mayfield wasn't much of an asset to lose, in my opinion, just a bunch of useless penalty minutes. Jussi was probably gone no matter what. I think Shore was on the edge between being able to go pro and staying in college another year.
              University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
              Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

I agree with what you say except I don't think Jussi, Nick or Scott stay even if George was here. Jussi was an older player who leveraged himself a pro contract off of a great season. Had he not had a similar year this year or got hurt, he doesn't get a contract. As a non-drafted player, his value would never be higher. Nick was a junior and it appears LA wanted him in their system. It is hard to say no to your future employer and playing 3 years in college as a top 6 forward is pretty much the norm for the Shore's. Scott's game is much more geared towards the pro game. What were penalties in college aren't necessarily penalties in the pros. He is having a very good year in the AHL and is on the Islanders radar. Now that the Isles are pretty much out of it, there are rumors he could get called up when they have their fire sale. The Isles are in need of big, physical defensemen. Scott brings that along with some good skating, passing and shooting skills. He doe not have the offensive skills of Donovan but is a much bigger physical presence that the Isles sorely lack on D.
                This wasn't going to be a championship season under any circumstances. But I think we're all still stunned by the change behind the bench and how and why it happened. It's fairly rare (almost never?) that a coach with Gwoz' resume gets fired. And I think that had some impact on the team. I look for better things next season. This season I'm writing off.

Comment

This wasn't going to be a championship season under any circumstances. But I think we're all still stunned by the change behind the bench and how and why it happened. It's fairly rare (almost never?) that a coach with Gwoz' resume gets fired. And I think that had some impact on the team. I look for better things next season. This season I'm writing off.

You're quite the athletic supporter.

Comment

I am too, I just don't see it happening under any circumstances. This past weekend was the nail in the coffin for me, sorry. I am not a fair weather fan, I have been passionate about the Pioneers since 1976. I just want the season to be over. Finally, Old Pio and BigBossMan, can you guys call a truce? We have better things to talk about!!
                    "The bottom line is, the cream rose to the top, and that’s Denver.”
                    Tom Serratore

Comment

Originally posted by Dmann View Post
                      Finally, Old Pio and [Insert Screen Name Here], can you guys call a truce? We have better things to talk about!!
                      Seconded.
                      University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                      Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

This is the point in the college hockey season when I start to wonder what attrition--other than graduating seniors--the Pioneers will suffer before the start of the following season. Sam Brittain and David Makowski represent the sum total of seniors which will depart through graduation.

An annual rite of the month of March is the exodus of non-senior class college hockey players to the siren sound of beckoning professional playing careers. Personally, I will be interested to see if either Josiah Didier or Joey LaLeggia takes the money and runs to professional hockey.

Didier is a draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens. Every team at every level of hockey needs a big, "stay-at-home" defenseman. Didier is such a player. His skating and puckhandling will never remind anyone of Paul Coffey, nevertheless Didier can be a dominant physical presence in his defensive zone, has the ability to clear the crease of both rebounds and opposing players and can make a decent first outlet pass more often than not. I think his future in professional hockey would be as a "third pair" defenseman, meaning he'd need to be willing to tangle with other teams' tough guys if the situation arose. Whether or not Montreal feels Didier is a prospect capable of making it to the NHL, and how quickly Montreal wants him to start his pro career, will be factors in determining whether Didier leaves Denver in March.

LaLeggia is a draft pick of Edmonton. As is their recent custom the Oilers are having, yet again, another dreadful season. LaLeggia is generously listed on the DU website as being 5-10/185. There aren't many NHL defensemen either that short and/or light. Edmonton needs help in every phase of the game. Because of that, LaLeggia may feel now is as good a time as any to try his hand in the professional ranks. I don't think LaLeggia is big enough to play as a defenseman for a career in professional hockey, but he has enough speed and puckhandling skills that a switch to a forward position is realistic. Edmonton may be understanably wary about the fact LaLeggia's point totals have dropped each of the past two years.

Speaking for myself, Didier and LaLeggia are the two players whose potential early departure will hold my attention once Denver's season ends. I don't know if either or both will leave, but I'll be watching with interest.
                        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

In the 2009-10 season Marc Cheverie was an All American with a 2.08 GAA and .932 Sv % and was a finalist for the Hobey**

Today Sam Brittain has a 2.10 GAA and .931 Sv%
                          Vote for Sam for the Hobey!
                          http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the...ial-award/vote

Sam, The Great, Brittain is one of 10 finalists for Senior CLASS award.
                          Fan votes count for 1/3 of the selection process.

Vote Early and Often!
                          Once every 24 hours.
                          http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/hockey_2013-14/

** that team included 2 other All Americans: 3 players now in the NHL, 1 in the AHL, 4 in the ECHL and 3 in Europe
                          Last edited by vizoroo; 02-24-2014, 06:05 PM.
                          GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
                            Seconded.
                            Thanks to you, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by A Shot and a Goal View Post
                              This is the point in the college hockey season when I start to wonder what attrition--other than graduating seniors--the Pioneers will suffer before the start of the following season. Sam Brittain and David Makowski represent the sum total of seniors which will depart through graduation.

An annual rite of the month of March is the exodus of non-senior class college hockey players to the siren sound of beckoning professional playing careers. Personally, I will be interested to see if either Josiah Didier or Joey LaLeggia takes the money and runs to professional hockey.

Didier is a draft pick of the Montreal Canadiens. Every team at every level of hockey needs a big, "stay-at-home" defenseman. Didier is such a player. His skating and puckhandling will never remind anyone of Paul Coffey, nevertheless Didier can be a dominant physical presence in his defensive zone, has the ability to clear the crease of both rebounds and opposing players and can make a decent first outlet pass more often than not. I think his future in professional hockey would be as a "third pair" defenseman, meaning he'd need to be willing to tangle with other teams' tough guys if the situation arose. Whether or not Montreal feels Didier is a prospect capable of making it to the NHL, and how quickly Montreal wants him to start his pro career, will be factors in determining whether Didier leaves Denver in March.

LaLeggia is a draft pick of Edmonton. As is their recent custom the Oilers are having, yet again, another dreadful season. LaLeggia is generously listed on the DU website as being 5-10/185. There aren't many NHL defensemen either that short and/or light. Edmonton needs help in every phase of the game. Because of that, LaLeggia may feel now is as good a time as any to try his hand in the professional ranks. I don't think LaLeggia is big enough to play as a defenseman for a career in professional hockey, but he has enough speed and puckhandling skills that a switch to a forward position is realistic. Edmonton may be understanably wary about the fact LaLeggia's point totals have dropped each of the past two years.

Speaking for myself, Didier and LaLeggia are the two players whose potential early departure will hold my attention once Denver's season ends. I don't know if either or both will leave, but I'll be watching with interest.
                              I understand scouts from Montreal and Edmonton have been at almost every DU game. I think both are gone. I would love to see them stay but that isn't the way of the world anymore.
                              DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

I understand scouts from Montreal and Edmonton have been at almost every DU game. I think both are gone. I would love to see them stay but that isn't the way of the world anymore.
                                The general rule of thumb: if we're discussing whether or not they're gone, they're gone.
                                Last edited by Old Pio; 02-24-2014, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X