This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: All Things Denver XXXVII

I see Wade Bennett is a nominee for the Humanitarian Award. Congrats toWade!
    What is really amazing is that he started the year as a Freshman and by the Winter Quarter is a Senior!

You may have missed Trevor Moore's goal on Saturday came in as the fifth best goal in NCHC play.
    GO DU !!!

Comment

Anyone else get this email?

Greetings Pioneer Fans,

As a friend of the program, we would like to invite you to attend a luncheon and hockey practice. You will have the opportunity to meet Coach Montgomery and personally hear about the upcoming series against North Dakota. The details are as follows:

Wednesday, January 22, 2014
      Parking in Lot 103 (corner of High St. and Buchtel Blvd.)
      Magness Arena – east concourse (section 11)
      1:00pm - Coach Montgomery talk
      1:15pm – Lunch
      1:30pm – Hockey practice begins

Please RSVP to Marianne Leiby at 303-871-2388 or marianne.leiby@du.edu by Tuesday January 21. We appreciate your support and look forward to seeing you at practice.

Go Pioneers!

Ryan Peck
      Senior Associate Athletic Director
      Development and Major Gifts
      University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
      Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

"52 years isn't a slump, it's a tradition" -dubbie31

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierPioneer View Post
        Anyone else get this email?
        Yes.
        sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

Happy Birthday, Jason Zucker

"While a lot of fans where still in line for an icy cold beverage, Zucker was busy scoring his fourth goal of the year. Only eight seconds into the final frame, the tally set a Wild record for the fastest goal to start a period."
          GO DU !!!

Comment

Haven't posted in a long time but my wife forwarded me this letter. Thought it was worth sharing --

University of Denver
            Jan. 17, 2014

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

I'm sure that many of you sense, as do I, that the University stands at a significant point of transition and that we are about to enter an altogether new phase in our 150 year long history. Looking back, we've all been working hard since the dark days of the mid-1980's when we weathered that deep, existential financial crisis. So many good things have been accomplished since that time, and there is a great deal to be proud of. Much of this progress is due to the commitment of our wonderful faculty and staff, and to a consistent approach based on responsible management and an unwavering focus on the continuous growth of quality.

This year, fiscal 2014, will be our 25th consecutive year of operations in the black. Over the past two decades we've invested more than a half-billion dollars into our campus, which is now among the most beautiful and functional in America. Our students, both undergraduates and graduate students, are the most capable and most diverse that the University has ever seen. They've been drawn to DU by our superb faculty and staff, who have created a magnetic intellectual and cultural environment that attracts students and scholars from all over the country and all over the world. Indeed, we are the region's most international University, with nearly 1,500 international students, one of America's finest study abroad programs, international programs in virtually all of our units, and one of the world's finest schools of international studies. Our “reach” has become quite extraordinary, with the substantial majority of our students being drawn to Denver from places other than Colorado. We have certainly become a magnet for talent, and this is one of the principal ways in which we serve the city whose name we bear. I've been so very, very fortunate to bear witness to all of this growth in the quality of the academic enterprise at DU.

The years ahead will bring great changes to all of higher education, and for our University they will be years of extraordinary opportunity. We have a solid financial platform from which to address those changes. Apart from balanced operations, the success of our ASCEND campaign (which will end this sesquicentennial year) has been such that our net assets now top $1.1 billion. Our endowment is many times the size it was in the mid-1980's and more than double its size when I took office in 2005, and now exceeds annual operating expenses by a substantial margin. Because of successful fundraising and solid operations, we've added to student financial aid while we've managed to hold tuition increases to a modest level for the last several years. In fact, the net cost of attendance for DU undergraduates receiving financial aid is now roughly the same as it was ten years ago. All of this, a foundation based on academic quality and financial responsibility, provides us with a platform from which we must seize the opportunities of the coming years.

Those coming years will be an extraordinary and challenging time, a time when our University can rise to still greater heights of quality and impact. It will need new leadership for that new time, consistent leadership for another decade or more. I've been Chancellor for nine years now, and it is time for me to step aside and make room for that new leadership. Consequently, after many months of deep consideration, Julanna and I have decided that this year will be our last at DU. Today, I have informed our Board of Trustees that I will step down as Chancellor at the end of the current fiscal year, this coming June 30th. For me that will mark 33 years at the University, the last 13 as Chancellor or Provost, and all as a faculty member.

There will be lots of time to remember those years over the coming months. For now, let me simply say thank you to all of my friends and colleagues among the DU community. I've been so very fortunate to be counted as one of you. Leading this institution that I love so dearly has been the greatest honor of my life.

Best regards,
            Robert Coombe

Comment

I'm not exactly consumed with optimism that our next chancellor will be less of a PC twit than Coombe. I remain to be convinced that the academic and financial improvements he takes credit for are in any significant way related to the "Boone caper" and (more importantly) what it represents. The disrespectful and condescending attitude of the University of Denver toward its alumni didn't begin with him, and presumabiy won't end with his departure. Still, to the extent a Chancellor should be given credit for improvements in the condition of the university, Coombe is entitled to take a bow. And to our thanks.
              Last edited by Old Pio; 01-17-2014, 04:28 PM.
              2011 Poser of the Year & Pulitzer Prize winning machine gunner.

Comment

Hopefully the next Chancellor is pro-Boone.
                DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                  Yes. And if we had an alumni association worthy of the name, it would begin pounding the jungle drums for the full, complete, restoration of Boone today. But since we don't. Since our alumni association is an aggregation of house mice, I would imagine it would remain mute on the subject. Just as it has since Coombe initiated his jihad. There's an opportunity here (likely to be missed) for alumni and students to combine their voices and efforts to undo the "Boone Blunder."
                  Last edited by Old Pio; 01-17-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by du78 View Post
                    Will only happen if the Board of Trustees is pro-Boone.

But since they don't seem to be, and the University doesn't seem to value alumni much (with only a handful of large donors making up a disproportionate amount of donations, why would they need to?), I'd say chances are pretty slim.
                    University of Denver Class of 2010; Daniels College of Business International MBA Class of 2011
                    Henley Business School 2014 Intake- MSc in Business & Management Research/Doctor of Business Administration

DU Grilling Society

Comment

Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                      Yes. And if we had an alumni association worthy of the name, it would begin pounding the jungle drums for the full, complete, restoration of Boone today. But since we don't. Since our alumni association is an aggregation of house mice, I would imagine it would remain mute on the subject. Just as it has since Coombe initiated his jihad. There's an opportunity here (likely to be missed) for alumni and students to combine their voices and efforts to undo the "Boone Blunder."
                      We gotta remember that the BoT fired George. Ritchie got rid of Boone. There's much more at play here than ol' Bob Coombe.

Of course, having a Chancellor who will actually make eye contact with students when he/she walks across campus would be somewhat of an improvement.

I remember when he first started having open "office hours," with the caveat that you basically couldn't use that time to raise concerns about anything...

DU Grilling Society

Comment

We gotta remember that the BoT fired George. Ritchie got rid of Boone. There's much more at play here than ol' Bob Coombe.

Of course, having a Chancellor who will actually make eye contact with students when he/she walks across campus would be somewhat of an improvement.

I remember when he first started having open "office hours," with the caveat that you basically couldn't use that time to raise concerns about anything...
                        Like Papal audiences? If (and it's an enormous if) alumni and students were to make a big enough stink, the possibility exists that even Chancellor of the Universe Ritchie and the rest of his stooges on the BoT might conclude that conceding on Boone would be a small price to pay to restore harmony. Sort of like Scrooge letting Bob Crachit take the whole day off on Christmas.

Comment

If (and it's an enormous if)
                          I think enormous is being optimistic here.

It's a chicken/egg scenario. The University doesn't pay us alumni much heed because we don't donate very much and seem distant. We don't donate much and involve ourselves because we feel alienated and unheard. Lord knows we've tried.

But it's probably the dollars that count most. Dan Ritchie has more of those than I do.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Pio View Post
                            As we were saying. . .
                            Hope the new chancellor that we get fire's the pdopps

Comment

Like Papal audiences? If (and it's an enormous if) alumni and students were to make a big enough stink, the possibility exists that even Chancellor of the Universe Ritchie and the rest of his stooges on the BoT might conclude that conceding on Boone would be a small price to pay to restore harmony. Sort of like Scrooge letting Bob Crachit take the whole day off on Christmas.
                              It seems that the Board's approach to seeking harmony is to charge ahead, do what they're going to do, and just hope it eventually blows over and we move on. That they know better than we do how to run the institution. That we're apathetic enough to just let it go. Which is sadly probably true for the most part. No point in trying to appease us if they're patient enough. The small, vocal minority gets more deference because it fits more in line with the inclusive excellence message they'd rather align with.

DU Grilling Society

Comment

It seems that the Board's approach to seeking harmony is to charge ahead, do what they're going to do, and just hope it eventually blows over and we move on. That they know better than we do how to run the institution. That we're apathetic enough to just let it go. Which is sadly probably true for the most part. No point in trying to appease us if they're patient enough. The small, vocal minority gets more deference because it fits more in line with the inclusive excellence message they'd rather align with.
                                All mostly true. Although I'm not certain that whining PC Gestapo aligns with "inclusive excellence" particularly well.

Comment

Working...
                                X