Clear All

• Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red Light District

continue....

Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red Light District

Great article on Coach Leach by Larry Mahoney at the BDN:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/12/0...?ref=SportsBox

Comment

watched the replay tonight on FCSA... what a great effort out of Swavely to get back and break up the play prior to the Hutton goal... those are the kind of plays that win games....

Comment

That was the play of the game, IMO... A thing of beauty.

Tell ya what- I didn't see this group of guys ever playing this well, but they make very few mistakes as a group, and go for the jugular in transition.

Apparently, it's more about the coaching than it is about the recruiting right now, and this Maine team has a chance every night.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 12-10-2013, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Tell ya what- I didn't see this group of guys ever playing this well, but they make very few mistakes as a group, and go for the jugular in transition.

Apparently, it's more about the coaching than it is about the recruiting right now, and this Maine team has a chance every night.
          Like I said earlier in the season, Red is going to have to cook with what's in the cupboard. And so far he's whipping up some pretty tasty meals. He just needs to get the "to go" meals up to snuff. I really am amazed at how much of a difference he and the staff have made. They have certainly exceeded my expectations so far. I give them an A- going into Xmas. If thay had a road win or two it would be an A.

Comment

without question....

Comment

Per the Maine Hockey Journal, Maine names 3 finalists for AD: Karlton Creech of the UNC Chapel Hill, Jim Herlihy of the Univ of Montevallo & Scott Kull of TCU.

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                Per the Maine Hockey Journal, Maine names 3 finalists for AD: Karlton Creech of the UNC Chapel Hill, Jim Herlihy of the Univ of Montevallo & Scott Kull of TCU.
                Do any of them have ties to the school or state?
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                  Do any of them have ties to the school or state?
                  Creech and Kull don't. Herlihy, sort of. He was born in Exeter, NH, but calls Millinocket, ME home. All three appear to have good credentials.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                    Creech and Kull don't. Herlihy, sort of. He was born in Exeter, NH, but calls Millinocket, ME home. All three appear to have good credentials.
                    Kull grew up in Old Town, then went to undergrad at a school in Ohio before getting his masters at Ohio State. Herlihy as mentioned lived in Millinocket and went Plymouth State for undergrad and UHN for his masters.

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2013...ame-bu-falling

Hockey East Power Rankings - Maine up to 6
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

I always felt these players were better than what we saw on the ice. Maybe not superstars, but decent enough players. But laid back, Timid TIMMAY just never had it in him to get everything they had to offer out of them. Just wasn't his forte, with his, "Oh shucks, we'll just keep working in practice, and we'll get better". Always tomorrow for TIMMAY, which is why the guys never had that leave it all on the ice mentality. Didn't bring it this week, oh, well, there's always next week.

TIMMAY never demanded them to be excellent, and he really didn't know what to do to help them be excellent . Red does. And he knows what he has to teach them to help them be better, to eliminate those mistakes and play as a team. And to make the sum of the parts better than the individual components. To make it short, the man just knows how to coach.
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                          Not the Jimbo Herlihy that I went to school with at UMaine?
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

I'm glad to see that Maine finally made a change with the hockey program, and I'm not down on Red in any way.

But I haven't seen the team in person yet (and I won't until Florida). What I do know is that they were a game over .500 last season after the Christmas break. This year, before the Christmas break, they're . . . a game over .500. Granted, they'll have a chance to change that v AIC...

Safe to say that the program is making progress toward reestablishing the home atmosphere that everyone misses. And unlike last season, the team certainly was ready to go at the start of the season this year.

Those things are nice, but results are the bottom line. Hopefully they start getting some results on the road. If that starts in Florida, that'd be ok with me
                            1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                              I always felt these players were better than what we saw on the ice. Maybe not superstars, but decent enough players. But laid back, Timid TIMMAY just never had it in him to get everything they had to offer out of them. Just wasn't his forte, with his, "Oh shucks, we'll just keep working in practice, and we'll get better". Always tomorrow for TIMMAY, which is why the guys never had that leave it all on the ice mentality. Didn't bring it this week, oh, well, there's always next week.

TIMMAY never demanded them to be excellent, and he really didn't know what to do to help them be excellent . Red does. And he knows what he has to teach them to help them be better, to eliminate those mistakes and play as a team. And to make the sum of the parts better than the individual components. To make it short, the man just knows how to coach.
                              I vow never to write about or put his name in another post here on fanforum. I wish him no ill. As a matter of fact, I'm going over to see his Kimball-Union team play in a tournament at Milton Academy on 12/20. Not because I'm a K-U fan but because the rink is in my neighborhood, walking distance, and the teams playing have a lot of Div 1 recruits.

Name all the good things that can happen to this young team if we keep putting his name in any of this. The past doesn't matter. The only shot that counts is the next shot. Red and staff have turned a train wreck into a winning record in 2 1/2 months. That's pretty good. There's a long way to go before returning to prominence, but I love what I see so far.

Comment

Working...
                              X