This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Maine Hockey 2013-2014 - Red Light District

Last nights tie bumped us up to 15th in the pairwise. Lot of hockey left to play...

Comment

5hole can u still park in garage on campus?
      sure why not

Comment

Big difference seeing the team up close than seeing it on TV or in the slog at Fenway.....the one thing that really stands out in person is they don't have much size.

First ten minutes or so they played fast and hard and really structured hockey. After that it seemed to come undone a little...lot of turnovers....not a lot of rushed created....and Lomberg's goal may have been the first rebound they got to all night.

Marty saved their bacon, although if they hit two posts and go in or Lowell's post goes out instead of in, different story. Still Lowell kind of dominated the middle part of the game. Power play looks decent, lot of movement lot of crossing. Schurhamer's shot is nice and O'Connors and Huttons's speak for themselves. Shore looked good, tremendous stick on puck skills but seems to skate with some loops sometimes. Thought Lowell's Chapie was best skater and probably best player overall on ice.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
        43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
        104-47-14 (.669) in that time
        3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
          Union made UNH look foolish last night AT UNH
          I sort of wish that were true, but UNH looked foolish all by themselves. And in case you haven't noticed, "AT UNH" means nothing recently. They are 0.500 at home and have lost to the likes of Harvard there.
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
            5hole can u still park in garage on campus?
            Yes, in the Comm Ave garage. Parking is free and plenty of room. Enter across from the T stop on Commonwealth Ave. Short walk (200 yards) from garage to Conte Forum.

Beacon St. garage is for Flynn Fund donors only and heavily enforced. Don't try to get in there... you won't.
            Last edited by FiveHole12; 01-18-2014, 10:52 AM.
            'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
              I agree whole-heartedly.

Still, Maine needs to go balls-out tomorrow at Conte in an effort to get another HEA point or two, because their exceptional goaltending will soon be gone, and this season might well represent the best shot they'll have at the NCAAs for a while... Might as well take the shot while it exists.

Marty's been the biggest reason that Maine has become (marginally) relevant again, and they need to ride that horse as long and as long as they can. He's definitely Maine's MVP, IMO.
              I completly disagree. I don't see them making the tournament this year. And if you think with the direction Red has the team going with some of his recruits coming the next couple of years that THIS year is the best shot at the tourny for a while then IMO you are way off the mark Fish. This team will get better and better. Yes marty is the primary reason why they have the record they do, but just because he's gone next year doesn't mean we're going back to Timmay time. Some scorers and size coming in will make a huge difference going forward. I guess I just don't see that if Red is doing what he's doing with this group how you can think they'll be worse when more talent comes to town.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                Big difference seeing the team up close than seeing it on TV or in the slog at Fenway.....the one thing that really stands out in person is they don't have much size.

First ten minutes or so they played fast and hard and really structured hockey. After that it seemed to come undone a little...lot of turnovers....not a lot of rushed created....and Lomberg's goal may have been the first rebound they got to all night.

Marty saved their bacon, although if they hit two posts and go in or Lowell's post goes out instead of in, different story. Still Lowell kind of dominated the middle part of the game. Power play looks decent, lot of movement lot of crossing. Schurhamer's shot is nice and O'Connors and Huttons's speak for themselves. Shore looked good, tremendous stick on puck skills but seems to skate with some loops sometimes. Thought Lowell's Chapie was best skater and probably best player overall on ice.
                BoSox3066 is largely correct. Fact is, UML is a very good team and played THEIR game at home against us. They got into their rhythm and made Maine play their game. Just like Maine did to UML at Alfond in December. They kept us pinned to the boards or at least out of the middle for most of the second and a lot of the third. Fact also is, Marty was so on last night, it was great to watch. Our seats were at the end where UML shot twice, just in front of the goal line. Clearly, Marty was the difference. There was a big UML flurry in the 3rd where he did everything but sell beer and popcorn.

58.5 minutes and Maine can't score. Very frustrating. Seriously, UML could've won 4-1. UML didn't get frustrated. Their best quality is tenacity. They just never let up.
                Fact: Red nicely coached his way to the tie. At 18:12 he calls time out, gathers them up, gives 'em a talking to, pulls Ouelette, sends 6 skaters out. 26 seconds later, Lomberg buries it. It was a thing of beauty. The OT was wild and wooly. Take the tie, take the 1 point, on to Conte tonight. Good Luck Boys! Play hard and play physical. I fear BC is starting to hit their stride.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                  I completely disagree. I don't see them making the tournament this year. And if you think with the direction Red has the team going with some of his recruits coming the next couple of years that THIS year is the best shot at the tourney for a while then IMO you are way off the mark Fish. This team will get better and better. Yes marty is the primary reason why they have the record they do, but just because he's gone next year doesn't mean we're going back to Timmay time. Some scorers and size coming in will make a huge difference going forward. I guess I just don't see that if Red is doing what he's doing with this group how you can think they'll be worse when more talent comes to town.
                  ck1969 is right on. Red has just begun the resurrection. Either absolutely or relatively (to the other guy), you get the clear feeling that he's in total control and more importantly knows exactly what to do with what he's got. And yes, Marty is absolutely the first key to our success so far this year.
                  Last edited by DoubleA; 01-18-2014, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                    Yes, in the Comm Ave garage. Parking is free and plenty of room. Enter across from the T stop on Commonwealth Ave. Short walk (200 yards) from garage to Conte Forum.

Beacon St. garage is for Flynn Fund donors only and heavily enforced. Don't try to get in there... you won't.
                    I park on the driveway in front of Conte. I have high friends in low places! :-)
                    Originally posted by mookie1995
                    bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                    Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                    Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      I think All bear was the only one predicting great things from this years team, his win prediction was 20 something? I thought he was crazy . As the summer went along the more I heard about Red the more I liked the guy, just little things, but from those things I heard, I knew he was going to get this team turned around. I was never convinced Monty was the only guy, sure I thought he could work but I wanted a nat'l search and thought he was one of many that could work.

I'm still waiting for a road win in another teams building. That seems to be a monkey on their backs at this point. Hopefully that comes Friday night.

As to what I thought, I figured if they could get 6th place and improve conditioning, discipline and work ethic I'd be very happy. So far I'm very impressed, obviously Shore, Hutton and Marty really stand out. But Leen, Swavely, the Freshman line, Lonberg and others have impressed also. Incoming recruits sound promising.

They have exceeded my expectations for sure
                      Well I posted this at the end of May after Gendron was hired...

Originally posted by BlackI
                      Well this is how I see it. This team started the regular season losing 9 of 10 games. Ended the regular season going 6-3-4. The competition over the last 13 was stronger than the first 10, even at a time when competition in the league is fierce.

Having said that, the loss to graduation doesn't seem as bad as it has been in the past. So with no coaching changes, I would expect a natural improvement where a team that battled to be in the hockey east playoffs now is in the mix in the middle battling for home ice. My reasoning is that Maine may not be graduating as many losses, and they young talent can play more of a significant role. We can expect relative improvement from this logical and linear reasoning.

Now, it has been stated that Red believes heavily on off ice programs and is a stickler for conditioning. There goes some more relative improvement in the sense that I don't see how a well conditioned team would start of losing 9 of the first 10 games.
                      However, I also predicted Corkum would be retained as an assistant and got that prediction wrong.

But others are now predicting about next season it seems after Fishman's prediction. So here are my thoughts, Fishman...

The team will continue to incrementally improve team defense. And the two incoming defensemen are almost sure bets to be in the line up given their size, at home style, strong in the corners, clear the net front, etc... Something I think the line up has been missing the last several seasons. This probably improves the penalty kill. In addition, the incoming forwards will probably yield consistent scorer, and a power forward type(good in the corners and going to the net front for battles/traffic/garbage goals). The goal tending may slightly dip, but going for that position is a guy that is a former USHL allstar that has already played for Maine. And a guy that is already practicing with the team and saw a lot of rubber in junior hockey. Then the third guy is playing in the USHL going against D1 level talent in that league. Maybe someone emerges or a good rotation develops out of those three. To me this all adds up to an even stronger squad next season where instead of being surprised by a top four HE finish the fans would be disappointed if it didn't happen. This is just an opinion, but to me it seems like a reasonable expectation.

Now, back to this season.

Tonight's game is a big test for this squad. Seems like a win tonight could indicate a top four HE team and a team that can have success in the playoffs. Hoping that is what we see tonight. That would really raise some eyebrows.

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                        Maine will eat our lunch tonight.
                        The one line Pillsbury doughboys scored 6, but only got one goal from the jg-arnold-hayes line (plus an empty netter).
                        New lines got lucky last night. That won't happen against a good team.
                        Well don't worry bout that one . This group has a ways to go before being labeled a good team. I suspect beagles give them wake up call tonight
                        Last edited by all bear; 01-18-2014, 02:16 PM.
                        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                          Maine will eat our lunch tonight.
                          The one line Pillsbury doughboys scored 6, but only got one goal from the jg-arnold-hayes line (plus an empty netter).
                          New lines got lucky last night. That won't happen against a good team.
                          Any and all lines look good against BU.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Any and all lines look good against BU.
                            Have 2 extra tickets section I for a Maine fan.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                              It seems silly to be talking about NCAAs when the the team still doesn't have a win in an opposing teams barn. Their road record is awful. I think people are getting a little too excited over this team. Sure, they've made progress but there is a lot of work left to do.
                              You look like Nostradamous after tonight. Same thing I've been saying. I'll eat my underwear if they make the NCAA's. I'll go so far as to say they won't have a road win this entire season. Not discouraged by the progress at all but people need to sober up. This team isn't that good. Maine goes as Marty goes. See tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                                You look like Nostradamous after tonight. Same thing I've been saying. I'll eat my underwear if they make the NCAA's. I'll go so far as to say they won't have a road win this entire season. Not discouraged by the progress at all but people need to sober up. This team isn't that good. Maine goes as Marty goes. See tonight.
                                Typical 2nd game of the weekend for Marty
                                I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Working...
                                X