PDA

View Full Version : UAA vs Lake Superior, 'twas the fight before Christmas

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

seawolfpunk
12-08-2013, 11:47 AM
UAA coming off a tough split with uaf, while lake state coming off getting swept by ferris.

Discuss

Suze
12-08-2013, 05:17 PM
UAA coming off a tough split with uaf, while lake state coming off getting swept by ferris.

Discuss

I'm just glad these games are being played in Anchorage. Lake Superior has beaten some teams who swept UAA, so it's going to be another battle. One I think the Seawolves are up for, however. Both teams have 10 league points, so UAA really needs to take advantage of home ice and get 4!

Seawolf Fan
12-08-2013, 05:19 PM
Haven't followed Lake State closely so not sure my impression is correct.
One weekend to the next do they seem to run hot and cold?

seawolfpunk
12-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Sounds like of there rotating goalies is former Mankato goalie Kevin Murdock. I remember Clark and lunden lighting him up when he was with the mavs.

Other than that idk anything. Else about them

Go seawolves

Suze
12-08-2013, 06:44 PM
These two teams seem similar to me, at least on paper. In the WCHA Lake Superior is #5 in team offense with a 2.80 average per game. UAA is #6 with 2.67. Likewise they are #7 in team defense with 2.70 and UAA is #8 with 3.08. The Seawolve's PP is much better (25.42 vs. 13.95), but Lake's PK is 85.1 vs. UAA's 73.6. Both teams penalty minutes are similar. Gundy is the #5 goalie in the league and Lake's Kapala is #9.

Globke, Campbell, and Czuczman are their top guns, respectively. Should be a good series!!

Bill
12-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Haven't followed Lake State closely so not sure my impression is correct.
One weekend to the next do they seem to run hot and cold?More like one night to the next.

Seawolf Fan
12-08-2013, 07:21 PM
More like one night to the next.
Are you guys rotating goalies?
What do you mean one night to the next?
No pattern emerging?

Bill
12-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Are you guys rotating goalies?
What do you mean one night to the next?
No pattern emerging?
Kapalka has been playing most of the games in net lately, but he and Murdock have rotated at times in the past. Most weekends we've played very well one night and not so well the other night. Generally Friday has been the good night and Saturday the off night, but not always. The pattern is inconsistency, although many teams struggle with that.

Seawolf Fan
12-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Gundy has pretty much grabbed the bit and run with it. It's nice to have 2 guys behind him that could also start.
To me our freshmen class has been a pleasant surprise. Maybe no superstars but 6 of them have consistently cracked the lineup. Moving up to D1 is a pretty big step. Moving Leask from D to forward may have been a forced move but at this point appears to be the right one. Kwas makes things happen and Bailey makes it exciting. Allen has found his scoring touch and should only get better.
The new coaching staff from top to bottom are all positive and moving our program in the right direction.
We won't win em all this year but we can play with anyone. Granted some nights better than others.
It's a new day and a great day to be a Seawolf!

LSSULaker889294
12-08-2013, 10:47 PM
The last time LSSU and UAA met was the 1992 NCAA tournament where the Lakers won 7-3. This weekend will be the first time the Lakers and Seawolves play in Anchorage. Should be an entertaining series.

AKSWF
12-09-2013, 03:20 AM
How does LSSU play? Run and gun? Dump and grind?

Alaskana
12-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the stats, Suze!

Stat wise, it sounds like these teams are pretty even on average and that the difference maker could be the small things like the fact that Gunderson is doing somewhat better than Kapala. On the flip side, their PK is somewhat better than ours and that could give them the upper hand. But anytime you get two even matched teams it's anyone's game.

Seawolf Fan
12-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Some of the polls and rankings

KRACH
Lakers 13
Seawolves 34

Pairwise
Lakers 12
Seawolves 35

USCHO Poll
Lakers 17
Seawolves unranked

ESPN Poll
Lakers dropped out this week so 16???
Seawolves unranked

Suze
12-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Some of the polls and rankings

KRACH
Lakers 13
Seawolves 34

Pairwise
Lakers 12
Seawolves 35

USCHO Poll
Lakers 17
Seawolves unranked

ESPN Poll
Lakers dropped out this week so 16???
Seawolves unranked

Thanks Seawolf Fan. BTW, it was nice to meet you last Saturday ... finally. Now I know who you are, so you better be nice! ;)

Seawolf Fan
12-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Thanks Seawolf Fan. BTW, it was nice to meet you last Saturday ... finally. Now I know who you are, so you better be nice! ;)
Dammit! Now I have to change my whole personality and be nice?
Seriously, it was nice to meet you and Mr. Suze.
Minor differences aside I know you just want what's best for the program.
It's a new day and a great day to be a Seawolf!

seawolfpunk
12-10-2013, 01:34 PM
It would sure be nice if the boys can take 4 points this weekend going into the holiday break.

I have a hunch Murphy, duwe and Roy will get in the lineup this weekend.

Go seawolves

AnchorsAway
12-10-2013, 05:56 PM
As they say, there ain't no mentum like momentum, and the Lakers lost any that they had built up from a sweep over BG a couple weeks ago by being swept by Ferris on home ice. The Alaska trip (albeit this time to a different locale) has traditionally been a battle for the Lakers, so hopefully they can shake off the jet lag and pick up some much needed points headed into the holiday break. Heading into this season we expected to see mainly a 50/50 split in playing time between Kapalka and Murdock, KK had been our undisputed number 1 guy since day 1 of his freshman year until last season when he was hampered by some injuries and KM filled in admirably in his stead, so much so that when KK returned it was a 50/50 split toward the end of the season. KK has gotten the edge in stats by about a 2-1 margin thus far this year, and has fared better overall, but he did struggle a bit last weekend against FSU so i'd expect to see KM get a start this weekend.

seawolfpunk
12-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Chalk talk with coach Thomas at 615 before Fridays game in the northeast student room

Alaska Hockey
12-10-2013, 08:45 PM
As they say, there ain't no mentum like momentum, and the Lakers lost any that they had built up from a sweep over BG a couple weeks ago by being swept by Ferris on home ice. The Alaska trip (albeit this time to a different locale) has traditionally been a battle for the Lakers, so hopefully they can shake off the jet lag and pick up some much needed points headed into the holiday break.
You will need momentum just to make that time-consuming exhausting uphill trip out to the most western College Hockey Team......so far west they only have those easy "Eastern Road trip's for afternoon games, also enjoy that 11pm puck drop. Better take a nap if staying up to watch the games on cable or internet. 'Wolves sweep ........

Suze
12-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Bump. Anyone know how Matty is?