UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

“Inappropriate contact on the bench”......Nice comment Marty....wonderful way to destroy someone’s life and reputation...
    What you did to Brian was unconscionable....and it’s not so much what you did, but how you did it...
    20 years of service...Brian deserved a private conversation with you and you alone, before you received any other input..I guess you had to cover your politically correct ***.
    How about a handshake and a thank-you for 20 years of service, as well....that is the first hand account, as I know it.
    Whatever happened, Brian deserved your support, not a termination letter for such a minor infraction with an athlete that he tried to mentor for 6 months.
    I can describe 12 cases/incidents with with “your” coaches/players over the term of your tenure that were much more severe and deserved harsher penalties but were not even addressed.

It’s about time you started paying attention to the real issues/concerns in your athletic administration....and if you don’t know what those are...shame on you. Other than a few facility improvements over the past few years
    what have you accomplished? More smoke and mirrors and fantasy dreams (new football facility – are you kidding me – do you want to bury the entire athletic department forever? – an idiot could figure out that the expected revenue from
    that program couldn’t/can’t support or sustain itself....EVER.)

Since you arrived...the one revenue producing program you have been responsible for, has been on a downward spiral (not the result of the product put out on the ice, or the effort of the dedicated coaches involved)....
    the attendance, the marketing, the concessions, the total atmosphere in the rink – all your fault.......from independent observers, even U Mass Lowell has blown right by us....open your eyes...
    Start addressing the the real issues staring you in the face...and start addressing them with the courage you’ve never displayed...those in the know have witnessed the real Marty Scarano...and it’s not pretty....you can only hide behind your affable personality for so long ....
    Sooner or later, the powers that be will wake up..and you’ll be served YOUR termination letter......I personally can’t wait for that day...Any respect at all that I ever had for you is gone....
    Best of luck.
    Happy holidays.

Greg Tsairis
    ****ed off alumnus....and I don’t stand alone.....

Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Wow...pizzed off UHN alums ..... .whodathunkit ??

Hey, Blake James might soon be looking for a job
    sure why not

Comment

I want to see this video of Brian making too much physical contact with a player to get fired. This guy was loved by the female players when I was in college and the men's players also seemed like he was a good guy.

One of the most perplexing things Scarano has done was to renew Bill Herrion's contact which has a record of 92-144 while going 9-20 in the final year of his contract in 2012-2013!

I know noone cares about UNH hoops but to renew a guy that three 20 loss seasons in eight years and has never gotten past the AE Semis with only three appearances.
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

I had my say earlier this week about "complacency" as the root cause of all current issues in UNH Athletics (especially hockey) on the other thread. Many thanks to our *esteemed* AD for coming out over the last 24 hours and proving my point as to who is the source of the widespread complacency. Pathetic handling of the McCloskey situation. Way to go, boss.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
          I want to see this video of Brian making too much physical contact with a player to get fired. This guy was loved by the female players when I was in college and the men's players also seemed like he was a good guy.

One of the most perplexing things Scarano has done was to renew Bill Herrion's contact which has a record of 92-144 while going 9-20 in the final year of his contract in 2012-2013!

I know noone cares about UNH hoops but to renew a guy that three 20 loss seasons in eight years and has never gotten past the AE Semis with only three appearances.
          UNH will never pony up the $$$ to hire a coach who has the track record to turn around a losing program. Add to the fact that they are in the America (L)East conference which consistently has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to recruit legitimate D-1 basketball talent. The best players that come to the AE conference tend to go the schools that have an established winning record (like Vermont and Albany).

Would love to see UNH make a real investment basketball, move them to better division (even the CAA) and bring in a coach that has the ability to create a winning program. I am becoming more and more skeptical that it will happen in my lifetime.
          UNH

Comment

I do feel like "inappropriate physical contact" was the wrong choice of words from a public relations standpoint because at first glance it could appear to mean something entirely different. I would feel the same way had this been the head coach of the men's team at Alabama-Huntsville and the same situation occurred and the same wording was used by the athletic director to announce the reason for the coach being let go.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              UNH will never pony up the $$$ to hire a coach who has the track record to turn around a losing program. Add to the fact that they are in the America (L)East conference which consistently has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to recruit legitimate D-1 basketball talent. The best players that come to the AE conference tend to go the schools that have an established winning record (like Vermont and Albany).

Would love to see UNH make a real investment basketball, move them to better division (even the CAA) and bring in a coach that has the ability to create a winning program. I am becoming more and more skeptical that it will happen in my lifetime.
              UNH spends in the middle of the pack in the A-10 in hoops and Herrion's contract is for 152k through 2016 before supplemental money and car stipend. The car stipend was 7k and the supplemental was 24k back in 2010. (LAST FIGURES I COULD FIND)

In 2010, Coach Mac made 218,189 and Umile 277.

Herrion has the full allotment of scholarships....
              Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Agree with Blackbearbandie. When we first saw the headline "inappropriate physical contact" my wife and I thought it must have been in the locker room. Then I read it was "on the bench during a game", which is a completely different circumstance and makes you wonder - what could a coach do to a player on the bench that would merit immediate firing after so many years of outstanding service to UNH? I too would like to know just what happened, and if a reprimand or suspension for a few games would have been more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
                  Agree with Blackbearbandie. When we first saw the headline "inappropriate physical contact" my wife and I thought it must have been in the locker room. Then I read it was "on the bench during a game", which is a completely different circumstance and makes you wonder - what could a coach do to a player on the bench that would merit immediate firing after so many years of outstanding service to UNH? I too would like to know just what happened, and if a reprimand or suspension for a few games would have been more than enough.
                  Based on what I've heard, the player was being insubordinate, and that prompted a flare-up between the two. I'm sure in retrospect, Coach McCloskey would admit he should have responded differently ... but unless there's a big chunk of information missing from the accounts I've been made aware of, then a reprimand (probably in private) should have been enough. Instead, he gets fired, and also gets the privilege of reading the misleading comments from the AD's offices making this incident sound like something else entirely.

In the meantime, the player continues to play, with no apparent disciplinary action. I guess ultimately it would have been Coach McCloskey's decision to bring said player into the program to begin with, and I'm guessing further that said player didn't just develop this insubordinate attitude overnight, so "let the buyer (i.e. recruting coach) beware" I suppose. It's that double-edged sword you get with a player with an "attitude" on your team in some ways, but this takes the term "coach killer" to a whole new level.

It is distressing (but sadly not too surprising) that no one - and I mean NO ONE - associated with UNH has had the, uh ... *intestinal fortitude* to step up and say something positive about Coach McCloskey's 20+ years of service to the University. He has been left to twist in the wind, labeled as a virtual sex offender in the eyes of most who don't bother to read past the headline, while everyone else from the AD on down to his flock of sheep just goes about their own business, complacently bellying up to the UNH trough. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post

Scott, I am presuming you are younger than me (most on this forum are) and I can tell you that UNH basketball has been an embarrassment since (and before) I went to the school there. In the mid-70's their futility prompted a full article in Sports Illustrated. I think the program has something like 3 or 4 seasons of 15+ wins in the last 40 years. Highly doubt things will ever change.

As for Marty, over the years on this forum I have described him as the best AD UNH has ever had. Of course, his competition was Andy Mooradian, Gib Chapman (a Umile favorite) and Judy Ray but, nevertheless, he operated with a purpose. He started at UNH in 2000, right at the peak of hockey hysteria at UNH and rode that wave, and that of football, for several years. But as time has gone on I think some of the chinks in his armor have gotten bigger and, in a lot of cases, needlessly. Off the top of my head I can think of the endless debates over student cheers, where the pep band should sit and, my favorite, why the SID office found it "impossible" to provide games notes on line prior to the game. In all three of these cases what was asked for was finally given but, in the process, he at least miffed some of the schools most loyal fans.

I do think being AD at UNH is a difficult job. UNH is a small state school stuck up in the northeast corner of the country. The state doesn't give the University a lot of money, particularly for athletics, so Marty and those who raise funds have to do some yeoman work to keep programs like men's hockey and football competitive. It is laudable that there are plans to upgrade the football facilities. However my question is, at what cost? It is well known that FCS schools do not make money on football and it is also well known that hockey is the only profit center in UNH athletics. You would think that, when it comes to physical upgrades, that hockey would be the priority. I would think that Marty would have looked at the hockey landscape, both in Hockey East and nationally, and come to the conclusion that the competition is going to be fiercer as time goes on. Notre Dame is in and UConn is on the way in Hockey East. Those schools are not shy about spending money on athletics. Then there is Big Ten, which will swallow up chunks of national tv time showcasing name brand schools. Where will that leave a poor sister like UNH in a few years? If the funds to spend are limited (and I am sure they are) and you want your brand name sport to continue to be competitive (I hope he does), then actions speak louder than words.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      It is distressing (but sadly not too surprising) that no one - and I mean NO ONE - associated with UNH has had the, uh ... *intestinal fortitude* to step up and say something positive about Coach McCloskey's 20+ years of service to the University. He has been left to twist in the wind, labeled as a virtual sex offender in the eyes of most who don't bother to read past the headline, while everyone else from the AD on down to his flock of sheep just goes about their own business, complacently bellying up to the UNH trough. Nice.
                      I'm not associated with UNH but I will tell you that in my many conversations with Brian over the years when he was with the men's program I always found him to be engaging, sharp, quit witted and, most importantly, without an edge. The more I think about this dismissal, the more it puzzles me. To be summarily dismissed like he was, you have to think that there was either a pattern of behavior between Brian and the players or Marty used this one incident to get rid of a guy he didn't want any more. And the wording of the official statement coming from Marty's office? Was that an "unfortunate choice of words" or deliberate? The answer to that question will tell me a lot.

Comment

My guess is the players parents are raising hell and threatened God knows what if thus coach was not fired.

Regarding your AD's job success, I think UNH is tough because your fans expect national success competing on and off the ice with some of the best programs in the nation with money to burn. UNH, to me, is on par with the Maines or UVMs of the world but can't compete annually with the NDs or BCs of Hockey East due to resources. That being said, they've managed to be competitive and be in the NCAAs every year so I'd be happy
                        Brown Bears - 2014 National Champions

Comment

I don't know the specifics of the incident, but wanted to weigh in with support for Brian. Based on my few interactions with him, this would seem to be out of character, and then the AD's brutal handling of this is just disgraceful. If the AD wanted to replace him based on performance, he should have done so up front, rather than creating an excuse.
                          The Souza record:
                          15-16 10th place
                          16-17 10th place
                          17-18 11th place
                          18-19 8th place
                          19-20 9th place
                          20-21 10th place
                          21-22 9th place
                          22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                            Based on my few interactions with him, this would seem to be out of character, and then the AD's brutal handling of this is just disgraceful. If the AD wanted to replace him based on performance, he should have done so up front, rather than creating an excuse.
                            Agreed and especially agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Onion Man View Post
                              My guess is the players parents are raising hell and threatened God knows what if thus coach was not fired.
                              I would not be surprised ... but what exactly would the threat(s) have been? Player transferring to another school (probably will happen now anyway)? Civil lawsuit (and if so, for just what exactly?)? Would either have been so onerous in and of themselves to support the dismissal of a well-respected coach who's been with your program for the last 20+ years without incident?

Comment

Working...
                              X