PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45

Chuck Murray
07-11-2014, 10:37 PM
Any sightings of BS35 lately?

Word around town is that he's quietly been (self) promoted to BS36 this summer. :D

Snively65
07-21-2014, 09:59 PM
Word around town is that he's quietly been (self) promoted to BS36 this summer. :D

Ok, I have been away for week; any news, other than UNH breaking their all-time annual fund raising record by over 30%?

Felger
07-22-2014, 06:34 AM
any news, other than UNH breaking their all-time annual fund raising record by over 30%?

Just this little nugget:

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20140722/GJNEWS_01/140729878

Scott
07-22-2014, 12:30 PM
Just this little nugget:

Yep...the "other shoe has dropped", so they say. :rolleyes: Good luck to coach McCloskey in his fight.

JB
07-22-2014, 02:06 PM
Just remember the “I could get them to indict a ham sandwich” legal aphorism reference grand juries.

There is a certain benefit to the University and by extension the State of an indictment against McCloskey. In general I was under the impression that in NH indictments are typically reserved for felonies not misdemeanors, although things might have changed since I last served on a grand jury. I know it happens but last time I got to do my civic duty I don't remember a single misdemeanor being brought forth by the county.

Chuck Murray
07-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Just this little nugget:

Seeing stuff like this really just makes me sick to my stomach.

Whatever interest I had in giving the devil (BS36) his due for the fundraising/stadium project successes ... fuggedaboutit. :mad:

Darius
07-24-2014, 04:42 PM
Seeing stuff like this really just makes me sick to my stomach.

Whatever interest I had in giving the devil (BS36) his due for the fundraising/stadium project successes ... fuggedaboutit. :mad:Another way to look at it is that the indictments validate the dismissal decision.

Priceless
07-24-2014, 06:43 PM
I am a Maine grad so normally I would relish any turmoil in Durham. However, this is beyond belief. In the interest of full disclosure, Brian was one of my coaches in high school. He was the coach who led NYA to the state title in 1989. He was never a "player's coach" in the sense of taking it easy or cutting people slack. But he always struck me as someone who enjoyed coaching and who developed a very strong bond with his players. 25 years later, guys who played for him in high school still praise him - and not just as a coach but as a role model. He could be very intense, and I can see him grabbing a player by the jersey to get their attention. Physically assaulting a player and threatening them? No chance in hell. Not the man we grew up with so many years ago and not the man who has been praised by both the Men's and Women's players at New Hampshire. I wish we had him at UMaine - not just because of his coaching and recruiting abilities but because of the man he is. I know people change, or have a different life in private that we don't know about, but I can't even fathom this. I don't know if any of you are friends with him on Facebook, but the support he has gotten from past (and I think even some current) players at UNH on FB paints a more accurate portrait of him than these trumped up charges. Maybe when everything comes out we'll find something else, but until then I firmly believe in Coach McCloskey and his version of events. I hope that when all the facts come out he is not only exonerated, but wins his wrongful termination suit against the school.

zoofer
07-24-2014, 07:38 PM
The man you speak of so eloquently from 25 years ago, is still the same man today!

Ryan422
07-24-2014, 09:55 PM
Wow. It's quite a world we live in when coaches can now be indicted for being too intense on the bench and hurting a players feelings.....

And that is what I am sticking too until I am proved otherwise (an indictment doesn't really prove much of anything)

Snively65
07-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Another way to look at it is that the indictments validate the dismissal decision.

Or, the dismissal decision swayed the grand jury? I think that it is near time to rid "jury by your peers" for a system that requires some minimal level of competence in jury selection.

Patman
07-25-2014, 12:50 AM
I am a Maine grad so normally I would relish any turmoil in Durham. However, this is beyond belief. In the interest of full disclosure, Brian was one of my coaches in high school. He was the coach who led NYA to the state title in 1989. He was never a "player's coach" in the sense of taking it easy or cutting people slack. But he always struck me as someone who enjoyed coaching and who developed a very strong bond with his players. 25 years later, guys who played for him in high school still praise him - and not just as a coach but as a role model. He could be very intense, and I can see him grabbing a player by the jersey to get their attention. Physically assaulting a player and threatening them? No chance in hell. Not the man we grew up with so many years ago and not the man who has been praised by both the Men's and Women's players at New Hampshire. I wish we had him at UMaine - not just because of his coaching and recruiting abilities but because of the man he is. I know people change, or have a different life in private that we don't know about, but I can't even fathom this. I don't know if any of you are friends with him on Facebook, but the support he has gotten from past (and I think even some current) players at UNH on FB paints a more accurate portrait of him than these trumped up charges. Maybe when everything comes out we'll find something else, but until then I firmly believe in Coach McCloskey and his version of events. I hope that when all the facts come out he is not only exonerated, but wins his wrongful termination suit against the school.

to me, the real question, is how much of this is real (I'm doubting much) and how much of this is "sports vs. other places"... you grab me by the shoulder and get in my face I'm on the understanding that's assault, legally. You do that in a coaching situation, assuming it doesn't escalate, its called "getting their attention".

I'm not saying its fair, and I'm not asking coaches to back off... but if you're dead set on using legal standards then stuff we consider normal will get a lot of people in jail. Fact is, and it seems like it in this case, it can start to be used as a pretext to get rid of a coach. After all, the law considers things different.

Sign of the times all around I suppose. Yuck.

zoofer
07-25-2014, 05:52 AM
Sign of the times is right Patman....another factor to this charade is gender...MS has said that the fact that it was a male/female incident affected his decision....funny thing is that from my experience, these girls prefer a gender neutral environment...they consider themselves hockey players, not female hockey players! So in today's world, the need to be PC, affects a simple disciplinary act....and so it goes....

wildcatdc
07-25-2014, 08:43 PM
Sign of the times is right Patman....another factor to this charade is gender...MS has said that the fact that it was a male/female incident affected his decision....funny thing is that from my experience, these girls prefer a gender neutral environment...they consider themselves hockey players, not female hockey players! So in today's world, the need to be PC, affects a simple disciplinary act....and so it goes....

Zoofer - what is the source of the MS comment about the male/female circumstances of his decision? I'm not doubting the veracity, would just like to know when/where he said this.

wildcatdc
07-25-2014, 08:46 PM
It will be interesting to have the perceptions of each party get the light of day. When each side's version of the "facts" come out, I would think it would make forming an opinion a little easier for those who have yet to do so.

Chuck Murray
07-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Another way to look at it is that the indictments validate the dismissal decision.

... and yet another way to look at it is the indictments are an attempt by State employees in the AG's offices to validate the dismissal decisions made by other State employees at UNH.

Not saying that's necessarily what's happened here, but reasonable people could come to that conclusion.

UncleRay
07-26-2014, 02:53 PM
... and yet another way to look at it is the indictments are an attempt by State employees in the AG's offices to validate the dismissal decisions made by other State employees at UNH.

Not saying that's necessarily what's happened here, but reasonable people could come to that conclusion.**Looks left. Looks right. Looks in the mirror.** Where??

zoofer
07-26-2014, 05:27 PM
Wildcatdc, it was said at the FOWH meeting where MS came to "set the record straight"......this was also when he described the altercation to us, as rape! I was so taken back by this, that I asked everyone in the room if we all knew the facts....how could MS make that kind of an indictment with everything we had heard up to that point showing nothing near that! As time is want to do, facts to this date have shown to be anything but MS's version of events.....just ask the 22 people that were in the player's bench......

Ryan422
07-26-2014, 06:12 PM
It will be interesting to have the perceptions of each party get the light of day. When each side's version of the "facts" come out,

All the facts will probably never come out. I doubt it will go to trial.

The case is being handled by the Strafford county attorney's office, not the AG's office. They are county employees, not state employees.

wildcatdc
07-27-2014, 11:14 AM
Wildcatdc, it was said at the FOWH meeting where MS came to "set the record straight"......this was also when he described the altercation to us, as rape! I was so taken back by this, that I asked everyone in the room if we all knew the facts....how could MS make that kind of an indictment with everything we had heard up to that point showing nothing near that! As time is want to do, facts to this date have shown to be anything but MS's version of events.....just ask the 22 people that were in the player's bench......

Thanks, Zoofer. I wonder if anyone kept a transcript of that meeting.

What confuses me is that if 22 people are in complete agreement, how is there an indictment? And how is she not being held accountable for a false accusation/lying to police?

Hope people understand why those who have NOT formed an opinion are really confused by the juxtaposition of the opinions of many on this thread and what's actually taking place in the judicial arena.