PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45

Darius
05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
My post was about the Office of Communications. The women's hockey situation could be included with the "A tender in some difficulty is being stabilized with repair preparations underway" part. I am not insensitive to those who are part of and close to the women's hockey program, the situation sucks, but for me it is to this board what Benghazi is to Fox News. The wording of the McCloskey press release had little if anything to do with the restructuring.

Scott
05-09-2014, 09:51 PM
Slightly off-topic from today's discussion -

I attended the UNH Alumni Association meeting last night in Wolfeboro and listened to Marty's spiel about the new UNH football stadium. I must say that I was impressed with the presentation and how quickly they have almost raised $5 million to get the ball rolling (with a supposed promise for $20 million in bonds to finance the construction, if the Trustees approve this endeavor). I was chatting with another alumnus (and hockey fan) before Marty's talk and jokingly suggested that one us should inquire about the "promised" jumbotron for the Whitt.

Apparently, the jumbotron was supposed to be a done deal last year. Unfortunately the company that UNH was negotiating with was sold to another entity, and negotiations apparently broke down afterwards. This was confirmed by the alumnus that I was speaking to, as well as Marty himself during his talk. So now they're basically starting over with the project, but no timeline has been set. I guess we can hope that it's in place by the 2015-16 season, but we'll have to see.

Marty freely admitted that it has been a "difficult" year (without going into specifics, obviously). He mentioned that the football stadium project is LONG overdue, especially with the new construction and renovations to campus buildings over the last several years....I believe he called the present football facility "an embarrassment" when compared to the rest of the campus. The project to install lights at the current stadium is underway, and Marty announced that first UNH home game in history to be played under the lights will be Saturday, September 27 at 7 PM versus Dartmouth.

wildcatdc
05-10-2014, 10:08 AM
It has to be expensive. They have to pay for all those unfocused ads at JFK and running those commercials on super station WMUR.

You just don't get it, do you? The ads have been part of a successful overall marketing program to draw more students from the tri-state region (ny/nj/pa) And it's worked.

In addition, a focused campaign in Asia has created an influx of Chinese students. The plan is to expand that, and look to other BRIC countries (in fact, I'm looking to assist here in Brazil).

Out-of-state students and foreign students improve the talent pool, and often provide an economic boost to the University. The pay a higher rate, AND often pay closer to fully "rack rate" than the average population.

A nice effect of bigger coffers is the ability to fund the research that Snively refers to, which is a huge differentiator. The provost was telling us last week that roughly 20% of our student population are engaged in research with the faculty. Pretty compelling.

So If you want to keep throwing out smarmy non sequiturs, go for it. However, it would be better for the conversation if you could explain, with facts, why you think these efforts aren't worth it.

wildcatdc
05-10-2014, 10:38 AM
UNH is not the Titanic. It is underway and on course. A tender in some difficulty is being stabilized with repair preparations underway. I doubt anyone received a true golden parachute beyond typical layoff/early retirement payouts, but the chairs are being rearranged. Some will be removed from the boat entirely as the department is streamlined and modernized. This could happen in other departments as well over the next few months. I also feel for those who have faithfully served the U for many years and now lost their jobs. It is part of the price as P-Hudd moves UNH to the present and positions the school for the future.

Bingo. This is also why they are being INCREDIBLY circumspect about hiring a new PTP dean. Need to make sure we get an A+ candidate to replace Innis. Again, as you said, Darius, positioning for the future.

Darius
05-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Slightly off-topic from today's discussion -

I attended the UNH Alumni Association meeting last night in Wolfeboro and listened to Marty's spiel about the new UNH football stadium. I must say that I was impressed with the presentation and how quickly they have almost raised $5 million to get the ball rolling (with a supposed promise for $20 million in bonds to finance the construction, if the Trustees approve this endeavor). I was chatting with another alumnus (and hockey fan) before Marty's talk and jokingly suggested that one us should inquire about the "promised" jumbotron for the Whitt.

Apparently, the jumbotron was supposed to be a done deal last year. Unfortunately the company that UNH was negotiating with was sold to another entity, and negotiations apparently broke down afterwards. This was confirmed by the alumnus that I was speaking to, as well as Marty himself during his talk. So now they're basically starting over with the project, but no timeline has been set. I guess we can hope that it's in place by the 2015-16 season, but we'll have to see.

Marty freely admitted that it has been a "difficult" year (without going into specifics, obviously). He mentioned that the football stadium project is LONG overdue, especially with the new construction and renovations to campus buildings over the last several years....I believe he called the present football facility "an embarrassment" when compared to the rest of the campus. The project to install lights at the current stadium is underway, and Marty announced that first UNH home game in history to be played under the lights will be Saturday, September 27 at 7 PM versus Dartmouth.Thanks for the update from last night. I attended a presentation Marty spoke at last spring and left with a similar vibe. The rudder is firmly in hand, the seas are sometimes choppy, but we are on course. The topic that hit me most a year ago was the challenge of competing in and staying current with multiple conferences. Also from Marty and the other non-athletic presenters there was an underlying sense of how much every initiative and decision at UNH is driven by return on investment. Raising money is much more important at the U than for other state schools. I assume they have significant private benefactors, but wonder what the B10, SEC, PAC12 programs would be like had they been on the State of NH budget all these years.

I'd not heard the video screen story, but have heard of a another situation, several years back, involving an individual benefactor which unexpectedly didn't happen at the last minute for reasons beyond anyone's control. My hope is that the wait is worth it. I've seen different quality arena video and prefer none to the lesser quality options.

Darius
05-10-2014, 01:35 PM
You just don't get it, do you? The ads have been part of a successful overall marketing program to draw more students from the tri-state region (ny/nj/pa) And it's worked.

In addition, a focused campaign in Asia has created an influx of Chinese students. The plan is to expand that, and look to other BRIC countries (in fact, I'm looking to assist here in Brazil).
Out-of-state students and foreign students improve the talent pool, and often provide an economic boost to the University. The pay a higher rate, AND often pay closer to fully "rack rate" than the average population.

A nice effect of bigger coffers is the ability to fund the research that Snively refers to, which is a huge differentiator. The provost was telling us last week that roughly 20% of our student population are engaged in research with the faculty. Pretty compelling.

So If you want to keep throwing out smarmy non sequiturs, go for it. However, it would be better for the conversation if you could explain, with facts, why you think these efforts aren't worth it.http://www.navitas.com/study_university_usa_unh.html

http://www.navitas.com/study_university_usa.html

zoofer
05-11-2014, 07:29 PM
You know guys, I realize that both of you, Darius and wildcatdc have some valid points but the problem I have is that "the rudder is firmly in hand" is BS.....you see my problem is that the guy you choose to be at the helm has lied to my face! And what's more, many others that he lied to the night he spoke to the Women's Friends group have left because of his actions!! He guaranteed us that when he spoke with everyone on the team regarding what they saw on that fateful day, that ALL 18 people related the same exact story to him.....not true, by 14 to 4 from my count!!! Personally I think that is enough but as we've all read from The New Hampshire article, his treatment of the players was rude, uncalled for, and out right embarrassing for an AD to act.....many of the player's parents are disgusted with his treatment of their daughters!! So yea, while you have made some valid observations of how UNH might be attracting new prospects, I would rather know that the students, and student-athletes specifically, under the auspices of this Captain were treated like adults, and not chattel to be pressed into service under his reign!

wildcatdc
05-11-2014, 07:56 PM
You know guys, I realize that both of you, Darius and wildcatdc have some valid points but the problem I have is that "the rudder is firmly in hand" is BS.....you see my problem is that the guy you choose to be at the helm has lied to my face! And what's more, many others that he lied to the night he spoke to the Women's Friends group have left because of his actions!! He guaranteed us that when he spoke with everyone on the team regarding what they saw on that fateful day, that ALL 18 people related the same exact story to him.....not true, by 14 to 4 from my count!!! Personally I think that is enough but as we've all read from The New Hampshire article, his treatment of the players was rude, uncalled for, and out right embarrassing for an AD to act.....many of the player's parents are disgusted with his treatment of their daughters!! So yea, while you have made some valid observations of how UNH might be attracting new prospects, I would rather know that the students, and student-athletes specifically, under the auspices of this Captain were treated like adults, and not chattel to be pressed into service under his reign!

Zoofer... Sorry man, but you have to read more closely. I'm not referencing Marty in my posts - I'm referencing The Prez. I have been critical of Marty as well, consistently.

One time, MANY MANY posts ago, I alluded to the fact that some out there may be measuring Marty's performance more broadly than just this incident, (for instance, Capital Cup results, graduation rates, new football facility fundraising, etc.,) and therefore, may have a different perspective on his value to UNH. Aerman made a great point (paraphrasing) that many of us are looking through a very focused lens of the Coach M debacle, and it's easy for some to make the case to can Marty, ASAP. But it's just not as simple as that.

This will probably make its way very slowly through a variety of legal and HR avenues before we ever see things clearly and get adjudication.

zoofer
05-11-2014, 08:07 PM
Appreciate ur thoughts DC......let me add though that Pres. Huddleston hasn't exactly been the picture of reason having remained silent thru his AD's actions! Legal's gagging or not, his silence is anything but golden!.....and as for MS and his positives, ask any Friend, men or women's group, if the hockey programs have benefitted at all during his employment.....in fact you'll get a 180* reaction......seriously! tickets available when Michigan and Notre Dame visit the Whitt! This is a program that had a waiting list miles long for season tickets......simply pitiful!

wildcatdc
05-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Tickets available when Michigan and Notre Dame visit the Whitt! This is a program that had a waiting list miles long for season tickets......simply pitiful!

No arguments here! I brought an Ann Arbor grad with me to the Mich weekend and had to hide my embarrassment at the amount of blue we saw. And I don't mean blue shirts!!

Chuck Murray
05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
Zoofer... Sorry man, but you have to read more closely. I'm not referencing Marty in my posts - I'm referencing The Prez. I have been critical of Marty as well, consistently.

One time, MANY MANY posts ago, I alluded to the fact that some out there may be measuring Marty's performance more broadly than just this incident, (for instance, Capital Cup results, graduation rates, new football facility fundraising, etc.,) and therefore, may have a different perspective on his value to UNH. Aerman made a great point (paraphrasing) that many of us are looking through a very focused lens of the Coach M debacle, and it's easy for some to make the case to can Marty, ASAP. But it's just not as simple as that.

This will probably make its way very slowly through a variety of legal and HR avenues before we ever see things clearly and get adjudication.

How's about we widen the lens a wee bit and consider not only (1) the debacle that has been the Women's Hockey program and the mishandling of Coach McCloskey's dismissal, but also (2) the flagship Men's Hockey program on a steady slide to mediocrity from the heights of D-1 over the course of BS35's tenure, (3) the overall embarassment of the Men's Hoops program still playing on the wrong side of the street, at the bottom of an incredibly weak D-1 conference, and (4) up until now having done diddly-squat about Football playing in a prehistoric facility (Field Lights in 2014 - Yippee!! Send a telegraph message to Tommy Edison in the afterlife inviting him to flip the switch!! :rolleyes: ). Not to mention the peeping tom hanging around with Men's Hoops. Yeah, it's been a banner year ... :(

wildcatdc
05-12-2014, 12:14 PM
How's about we widen the lens a wee bit and consider not only (1) the debacle that has been the Women's Hockey program and the mishandling of Coach McCloskey's dismissal, but also (2) the flagship Men's Hockey program on a steady slide to mediocrity from the heights of D-1 over the course of BS35's tenure, (3) the overall embarassment of the Men's Hoops program still playing on the wrong side of the street, at the bottom of an incredibly weak D-1 conference, and (4) up until now having done diddly-squat about Football playing in a prehistoric facility (Field Lights in 2014 - Yippee!! Send a telegraph message to Tommy Edison in the afterlife inviting him to flip the switch!! :rolleyes: ). Not to mention the peeping tom hanging around with Men's Hoops. Yeah, it's been a banner year ... :(

Been clear about my distaste for Marty, Chuck, but to indulge you (and to continue to play devil's advocate, simply because I have a difficult time with unbalanced conversations....):

1. I have been clear that I think the handling of Coach's dismissal (whether for valid reasons or not), was and is a complete embarrassment. To Marty, AND to the President. Can this PLEASE be the last time I agree with this publicly? I'm going hoarse here.

2. Men's hockey.... how much blame/credit are you ascribing to Marty for the program's downfall? vs. Dick? vs. an apathetic fan base? I mean, what is HIS personal culpability for the failures? And if he is PERSONALLY culpable for the men's hockey failure, how much credit are you giving him for Fooball, Gymnastics, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Women's Lax, etc., all quite successful on his watch? Not to mention the academic successes, which in this day and age in NCAA athletics, is actually meaningful. I just want to know that we aren't cherry-picking his failures based on some actions that have ticked ALL of us off.

3. Men's hoops? I go back to the Bob Berry/Gerry Friel days, Chuck. Shot around in Lundholm with Bob's son (he also introduced me to this new thing called "rap music" in the 70's, picked up on a recruiting trip to NYC). Hoops at UNH? I think the hockey job at UAH has more promise, and at least it's a novelty there!! I would love to see a successful program (somehow UVM has managed it), but dang, I'm not sure how you hang that one completely on an AD.

4. So now that the fundraising appears to be making its goals, and the progress on the new stadium appears imminent, NOW the argument is that it came to late? Really? Or that's it's just about the lights?!?! C'mon, man. Go way back in this thread - I threw out the Cowell improvements before they were publicly announced and got crapped on - first because it "wasn't going to happen", and then because the "fundraising wasn't going to happen", and then because it was "ill-advised". Now it appears the refrain is that they "waited too long" to do this. SMH

5. Yep, some assistant's crazy perversions were an obvious outcome of Marty's lack of talent/management ability.

AGAIN, I'm just trying to bring balance to the conversation. I am no fan of Marty. Whether he stays or goes is of no import to me. But if you're going to argue for dismissal, at least:

1. Acknowledge that there are two sides to the ledger, and that people "in charge" are looking at both sides
2. Hold him accountable for those things he CAN control. Kinda tough to beat someone up for stuff out of their control.

I'm going to bow out of contributing to this conversation, until any real NEW updates come regarding the Coach M investigation. Otherwise, I feel like I'm just repeating myself, and that's not healthy for anyone involved. It's been a less-than-stellar year for UNH Athletics/Marty in many ways, and that's a shame for all, especially given a few of the bright spots we should be celebrating.

Tchau.

Chuck Murray
05-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Thanks for indulging me, wildcatdc. :D Anyway, not necessarily responding to OR criticizing you personally, but just to expand on some of your defenses to the other issues (and you need not feel compelled to respond) ...

1. I have been clear that I think the handling of Coach's dismissal (whether for valid reasons or not), was and is a complete embarrassment. To Marty, AND to the President. Can this PLEASE be the last time I agree with this publicly? I'm going hoarse here.

Agreed. Again, not necessarily directed at you - I know where you stand on this issue. Take a cough drop. ;)

2. Men's hockey.... how much blame/credit are you ascribing to Marty for the program's downfall? vs. Dick? vs. an apathetic fan base? I mean, what is HIS personal culpability for the failures? And if he is PERSONALLY culpable for the men's hockey failure, how much credit are you giving him for Fooball, Gymnastics, Field Hockey, Volleyball, Women's Lax, etc., all quite successful on his watch? Not to mention the academic successes, which in this day and age in NCAA athletics, is actually meaningful. I just want to know that we aren't cherry-picking his failures based on some actions that have ticked ALL of us off.

I lay most of the blame for the "apathetic fan base" on BS35. From the moment he began to micromanage the specifics of the "fan experience" at The Whitt, the former energy has gradually been sucked out of the building. Gotta change the songlist to remove certain songs ... gotta drop leaflets on the fans on what to chant, and what not to chant ... gotta get the band to play over that nasty offensive opening game chant ... :rolleyes:. Not to mention milking the crap out of the ST holders for years on end, then trying to milk the wait list ... oops, wait, lookie here, no more wait list. Didn't he have enough work on his plate where he didn't need to meddle? Or did Mrs. BS35 get offended and put him up to it? Kidding or not, this was all entirely avoidable, and it's something too many folks have forgotten and have given him a pass on.

3. Men's hoops? I go back to the Bob Berry/Gerry Friel days, Chuck. Shot around in Lundholm with Bob's son (he also introduced me to this new thing called "rap music" in the 70's, picked up on a recruiting trip to NYC). Hoops at UNH? I think the hockey job at UAH has more promise, and at least it's a novelty there!! I would love to see a successful program (somehow UVM has managed it), but dang, I'm not sure how you hang that one completely on an AD.

Definitely one of the tougher tasks on his agenda ... but whether it's doable or not (see UVM as you pointed out), you gotta make a better run at it, don't you? Experiment maybe, do something different. Play a few games over at The Whitt, make it an event (and I'm not necessarily comparing it to the Bonner/Florida visit), maybe take a hit in the box office and play more games there. At least your recruits (and potential transfers) will see you playing in a real D-1 building. Before you cite the prohibitive costs ... it doesn't stop Women's Hockey from playing at The Whitt instead of Jackson's Landing. I know a local HS hoops coach of some renown who just shakes his head at what happens there, and the overall lack of imagination and/or willingness to look in different directions. What has BS35 really ever done to try to break the Men's Hoops program out of its doldrums? The latest hire seems increasingly short of new ideas, too. :(

4. So now that the fundraising appears to be making its goals, and the progress on the new stadium appears imminent, NOW the argument is that it came to late? Really? Or that's it's just about the lights?!?! C'mon, man. Go way back in this thread - I threw out the Cowell improvements before they were publicly announced and got crapped on - first because it "wasn't going to happen", and then because the "fundraising wasn't going to happen", and then because it was "ill-advised". Now it appears the refrain is that they "waited too long" to do this. SMH

The ONLY thing I will assume IS going to happen anytime soon is the lights. And that's only because BS35 has gone too far out on that limb for it not to happen. I hope the rest of the stadium funding falls into place, and the stadium project comes to fruition. I went on about that a few posts earlier to some of our "jumbotron groupies" :eek: ;) and I think it's time it happens. But I find the fawning, self-promoting comments on the project from the AD just a little too precious for my liking. I mean, the idea that NH HS kids are going to be impressed that there are LIGHTS at Cowell Stadium?? :rolleyes: Has BS35 ever taken in a HS football game on Friday night in (say) Exeter or Portsmouth before? Yeah, they have those light thingies too. And really nice stands on BOTH sides of the field too. Shocking :eek: I know. :rolleyes:

Before I give credit for a stadium that hasn't been built yet, though, I think it's fair to ask questions why it's taken SO long to even get to this point, given the Football program's ten year run at or near the top of their division nationally. Frankly, I'm surprised more progress didn't take place before Ricky Santos graduated. Kudos to Coach MacDonnell for continuing the program's run. Hopefully someday when someone turns the Hoops program around, it won't take these visionaries in the AD's office a decade to move the furniture across the street.

5. Yep, some assistant's crazy perversions were an obvious outcome of Marty's lack of talent/management ability.

OK so maybe that was a little bit of "piling on" ... :o

zoofer
05-12-2014, 07:03 PM
Appreciate the discussion Gents.....the one thing I'll add is that much of what has happened to both hockey teams starts with the Admissions Director who was placed about 7 pr 8 years ago now....it is with his obstinance that many fine people, and quality athletes have been turned away from UNH. While no one of these athletes would've been a savior, I do know that both Coach's over this time period have asked MS to address the situation to no avail....and yes the issue was brought to Huddleston's attention, so I'd have to say that both men are compliant in the discussion of both program's demise......
And I find it interesting wildcatdc that aside from football, the programs you mention are of the female persuasion, which until the Coach Mc incident, never saw MS in attendance! Unless of course it had NCAA implications at home.....then certain peacocks were evident!

Darius
05-16-2014, 10:17 AM
Cowell Stadium Renovations Continue (May 16, 2014):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp6qd0rNt5g&feature=youtu.be

Aerman
05-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Now I'm confused. No doubt, it's my own fault for not paying attention. I thought Cowell was just getting lights. What else is happening and does it connect to the "big picture" future plans for West?

Chuck Murray
05-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Now I'm confused. No doubt, it's my own fault for not paying attention. I thought Cowell was just getting lights. What else is happening and does it connect to the "big picture" future plans for West?

I do believe them fandangled new gizmos they's callin' "lights" is arrivin' dur'n summah fo' next seezin'. :D

Beyond that, I think the rest (West Stadium) depends on whether fundraising hits its goals.

Seems BS35-going-on-36's crew trots out a weekly video to keep the momentum building ... putting aside my thoughts on how badly he's messed other things up, I do hope this project succeeds despite him. :o

Darius
05-19-2014, 10:17 AM
Now I'm confused. No doubt, it's my own fault for not paying attention. I thought Cowell was just getting lights. What else is happening and does it connect to the "big picture" future plans for West?http://unhstadium.com/

Hover over About The Project and click VIEWBOOK (PDF) for a summary with visual renderings.

Darius
05-20-2014, 01:36 PM
Cowell Stadium Update (May 20, 2014)

The access road behind the west side of the stadium has been laid out, and holes have been dug in preparation for light installation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1LMbR5G2pQ

Czarry
06-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Mike Lynch , BU AD, has resigned... Marty Scarano shouldn't be allowed that courtesy... He should be fired..the silence remains deafening...