UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

You have a chitstorm brewing. Stir the pot !!
    sure why not

Comment

Thanks to Pland27 for bringing this old thread deservedly out of mothballs. I'd forgotten it was even out there.

So let's get caught up on today's Blue Skies News here on USCHO ... but first:

Originally posted by Pland27 View Post
      Here's a question. The university said: "After an investigation..." What investigation? By who? Involving who? The Dover newspaper wrote that the incident happened on a Saturday night and McCloskey was fired the following Monday. It's hard to believe that all who witnessed the "incident" were interviewed in that short time span. If the time frame is correct, it sounds like a PC Kangaroo Court to me.
      Reading the stuff from yesterday's FDD, it looks like Coach McCloskey was suspended on the Monday after the incident, first met with the kangaroo court on Wednesday (and from Coach's standpoint was not even afforded the courtesy of knowing the details from his *accusers* - whomever they may have been - perhaps Marty and/or the HR persons themselves?), and then was called in Thursday when he was officially terminated. Which was then followed by the ridiculously ham-handed and libelous media release, and here we are. Just to drag the appropriate references over into this thread, here it is:

Coach McCloskey's version and supporting documents from yesterday's Foster's Daily Democrat

As I stated in the other thread ... the best part of this is that unless Coach is reinstated (and presumably receives a written and very public apology, along with restoration of back pay), then this is headed for civil litigation, and then there will be a long line of people who were included in the so-called *investigation* who will be subpoenaed for depositions under oath. Blue Skies would be at the top of their to-do list, no doubt. Can't wait. Must-see TV.

But hey ho, no worries here ... our boy Blue Skies is on the job, and wouldn't you just know there would be a counter-offensive today that is just a little too serendipitous on what otherwise would appear to pretty much be a non-story, which appears in today's edition of the Union-Leader:

McDonnell makes Blue Skies and UNH top brass grovel to keep him on board ... just barely

Looks like Coach McDonnell took that one straight out of the Coach Umile playbook, circa 1999 (?). Well played, Coach. And very interesting to see how Coach McDonnell didn't feel the need to comment to the media on this non-story, but Blue Skies did.

Wonder if President Huddleston had any separate discussions with Blue Skies during their two day grovel-fest to revisit some of the more recent developments in the McCloskey case?

No doubt more to come here soon on the Blue Skies News Network ...
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Last month I had a conversation with Scarano about the possibility of Sean leaving.... His response... "Everyone's replaceable."

Comment

Well, I can't say that is entirely true. I have had several conversations with Marty about Sean and he said that we are so lucky to have him and losing him would hurt a lot. I think it is unfair to paint this picture as perpetual chaos just because people like to pile on. Is everything perfect in UNH athletics...no. That said, unless you know all the details behind decisions that are made then be careful with criticism. Remember, schools with large buckets of funding can cover up for a lot of mismanagement. UNH does not have that luxury.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat13 View Post
            Well, I can't say that is entirely true. I have had several conversations with Marty about Sean and he said that we are so lucky to have him and losing him would hurt a lot. I think it is unfair to paint this picture as perpetual chaos just because people like to pile on. Is everything perfect in UNH athletics...no. That said, unless you know all the details behind decisions that are made then be careful with criticism. Remember, schools with large buckets of funding can cover up for a lot of mismanagement. UNH does not have that luxury.
            Sean should leave....he could easily be on Chip's staff with the Eagles or get a D-1 job.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              ... the best part of this is that unless Coach is reinstated (and presumably receives a written and very public apology, along with restoration of back pay), then this is headed for civil litigation, and then there will be a long line of people who were included in the so-called *investigation* who will be subpoenaed for depositions under oath.
              Reinstatement is unlikely, even more so now that the interim coaches are in place for the remainder of the season. UNH needs this to go away quickly and quietly.

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              90 is the (Manch)Vegas, over/under on the number of quiet days before an undisclosed settlement.
              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Reinstatement is unlikely, even more so now that the interim coaches are in place for the remainder of the season. UNH needs this to go away quickly and quietly.
                Aren't the interim coaches his previous assistant(s)? If so, they wouldn't need to go anywhere, no??

Having said that ... I do realistically accept (as I'm sure Coach does as well) that a return behind the UNH bench this season (if ever) is unlikely.

As far as "quickly and quietly" ... given that Coach McCloskey is (rightfully) most concerned about the negative impact his professional reputation has taken due to the actions of Blue Skies and Co., I can't see Coach stopping short of demanding that UNH issue a written and very public apology on how they (mis)handled the situation with the press in its immediate aftermath, so I really don't see how UNH gets this to go away "quietly". "Quickly" is well within their reach, but almost certainly involves some high profile people making public statements involving serious backtracking on prior statements (plus some $$$$ for the economic impact, breach of contract etc.) so "quickly" and "quietly" may be mutually exclusive outcomes in this instance.

Found it fascinating that after FDD released its stories yesterday from Coach's standpoint, and followed that up with an article on how Coach McDonnell was exploring his options with UMass Amherst, Blue Skies went running to the UL to plant today's non-story about his grovel-fest with President Huddleston to keep McDonnell in town. Guess Blue Skies isn't on speaking terms with Foster's these days.
                Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Aren't the interim coaches his previous assistant(s)? If so, they wouldn't need to go anywhere, no??
                  True, but UNH would now be taking something, a promotion and possible additional recently given salary(?), away from them.

As far as "quickly and quietly" ... given that Coach McCloskey is (rightfully) most concerned about the negative impact his professional reputation has taken due to the actions of Blue Skies and Co., I can't see Coach stopping short of demanding that UNH issue a written and very public apology on how they (mis)handled the situation with the press in its immediate aftermath, so I really don't see how UNH gets this to go away "quietly". "Quickly" is well within their reach, but almost certainly involves some high profile people making public statements involving serious backtracking on prior statements (plus some $$$$ for the economic impact, breach of contract etc.) so "quickly" and "quietly" may be mutually exclusive outcomes in this instance.
                  I don't anticipate a written apology, but a lawyer crafted correction to the original statement and a settlement. This can't be good for recruiting coaches now or in the next few years. If UNH had the resources quick and quiet would be likely. $$$ makes up for a lot.
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

I don't anticipate a written apology, but a lawyer crafted correction to the original statement and a settlement. This can't be good for recruiting coaches now or in the next few years. If UNH had the resources quick and quiet would be likely. $$$ makes up for a lot.
                    Anything coming out of UNH at this point will be lawyer crafted, no doubt. It will be written, and it is going to have to be released to equally wide distribution as the original statement. If the correction hits those qualifiers, it should basically amount to an apology.

If UNH expects to be able to bury a "correction" in the small print of the Union Leader over Memorial Day weekend, and for that to be satisfactory to Coach McCloskey, then I truly think they are "whistling past the graveyard" on this.

So how does this mess get resolved?

Going on what Coach McCloskey has said in each and every one of his communications, it seems pretty clear he is (rightly) concerned first and foremost with righting the libelous slur on his personal and professional reputation.

By seemingly all accounts (at least on here), UNH Athletics is working on a shoestring budget, with no truly deep pockets out there in the private sector to fund a huge $$$$ settlement, which might otherwise convince even the most idealistic plaintiff to fold their tent.

So the perfect solution would be to give Coach McCloskey what he has been asking for - a quick but sincere and well-distributed apology or "correction" - and a relatively small sum to deal with the rest.

If Blue Skies can't man up, admit his egregious mistake in the tone of the original press release and his insinuations in it, and make this as *good* as possible in the interests of both UNH and Coach McCloskey ... serious questions should be asked about him continuing in his current position.

See how BS likes it when people start talking about pulling the rug out from under his career. Karma, etc.
                    Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM.

Comment

so a coach cant even grab a kid's shoulder after being cussed at/given the cold shoulder?

Comment

The really sad part of this entire scenario if you check out the stuff on Foster's, is that this kid was apparently a disciplinary issue going back to LAST season, and the coaching staff apparently did not even want to bring her back. But apparently due to injuries, they were convinced (presumably by BS himself) to keep the kid on board, due to relatively low numbers and potential Title IX implications of less scholarship athletes. Talk about "taking one for the team" (i.e. the entire UNH athletics program) ... and this is how Coach McCloskey gets backed when disciplinary issues and lack of respect from the player come up yet again. Nice, huh? It's really just sickening ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          McCloskey was key in making those late 1990s - early 2000s great with his recruiting, I think.

He inherited a superb women's team from Karen Kay in 2002/03; Kay and her team won a national championship in 1997/98. McCloskey's teams went to the NCAAs from 2005/06 through 2009/2010, with FF appearances in 2006 and 2008. But, it all seemed to fall apart in 2010/11, with losing records since.

Just to set the record straight,
                          Under McCurdy 1977 - 1992 264-36-10 .852

Under Kay: 1992 - 2002 215-90-25 .652

1997-98....31-5-3
                          1998-99....23-7-5
                          1999-00....24-10-0
                          2000-01....17-17-0
                          2001-02....19-12-5

Under McCloskey: 2002 - 2013 219-97-36 .622

2002-03...27-7-2
                          2003-04...23-9-4
                          2004-05...21-8-6
                          2005-06...33-3-1
                          2006-07...28-4-5
                          2007-08...33-4-1
                          2008-09...24-6-5
                          2009-10...19-9-5
                          2010-11...14-16-2
                          2011-12...10-22-3
                          2012-13...14-16-4

I know a lot of UNH'ers on this side don't follow the women's game much, but in 2010, there was a coaching change made to address the recruiting issues. Also at play was a "dry spell" in terms of pull with admissions, which was, I believe felt on the men's side as well, which resulted in some of the de-comitments mentioned. The team was / is headed in the right direction again, but the climb in much tougher than the fall.

All this aside, certainly not a record deserving of the malicious manner in which he was terminated.
                          "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Thanks to Pland27 for bringing this old thread deservedly out of mothballs. I'd forgotten it was even out there.

So let's get caught up on today's Blue Skies News here on USCHO ... but first:

Reading the stuff from yesterday's FDD, it looks like Coach McCloskey was suspended on the Monday after the incident, first met with the kangaroo court on Wednesday (and from Coach's standpoint was not even afforded the courtesy of knowing the details from his *accusers* - whomever they may have been - perhaps Marty and/or the HR persons themselves?), and then was called in Thursday when he was officially terminated. Which was then followed by the ridiculously ham-handed and libelous media release, and here we are. Just to drag the appropriate references over into this thread, here it is:

Coach McCloskey's version and supporting documents from yesterday's Foster's Daily Democrat

As I stated in the other thread ... the best part of this is that unless Coach is reinstated (and presumably receives a written and very public apology, along with restoration of back pay), then this is headed for civil litigation, and then there will be a long line of people who were included in the so-called *investigation* who will be subpoenaed for depositions under oath. Blue Skies would be at the top of their to-do list, no doubt. Can't wait. Must-see TV.
                            I was at the game, but from the box score:Attendance: 213 I personally know at least half, if not more, of the attendees, at least one of whom was directly behind the bench and noticed NOTHING. I did not personally hear from one person who saw any untoward behavior on the bench, and it was all the buzz at the game the next day, with basically the same crowd. The witnesses for the U had better be polishing up on their purgery.
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                              I was at the game, but from the box score:Attendance: 213 I personally know at least half, if not more, of the attendees, at least one of whom was directly behind the bench and noticed NOTHING. I did not personally hear from one person who saw any untoward behavior on the bench, and it was all the buzz at the game the next day, with basically the same crowd. The witnesses for the U had better be polishing up on their purgery.
                              Not necessarily. If this guy has a history of temper flareups, possibly not visible to the public eye such as in the lockeroom, perhaps this "event" on the bench was the final straw. Unless any of you have been in the lockerooms, its all conjecture.
                              sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                                Unless any of you have been in the lockerooms, its all conjecture.
                                You wouldn't have cause to know, but DC is probably as close to the team as possible without being a member (any longer). When she speaks, there's not a lot conjecture taking place.
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X