PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

Greg Ambrose
04-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Pretty impressive..??? I think not....Marty is turning a couple of condemned squash courts into a glorified study hall for D-1 athletes... for $1.9M....(what's wrong with the library?...aren't these kids isolated enough from the rest of the student body...????) This guy has to go...enough already....everything he touches turns to s____!

Boy do I agree with that. When I was at UNH over 40 years ago the hockey players, including Umile, were the big guys on campus. They had easy access to fraternity acceptance and, of course, all had pretty good looking girlfriends. But, and this is a big but, they were not isolated from the student body as a whole. You would have classes with them, you would see them in the library, at the MUB, and around the campus. I am removed from this now except for going to the game but I have gotten a sense over the last 10 years or so that the hockey team specifically, and athletes in general, are more removed from the student body as a whole. The time demands on them, practices, skull sessions, weight training, etc. leaves less time for them to be just college kids. Or at least it seems to be that way. I'd like to hear some input on this from folks a lot younger that those who post frequently. Maybe my perceptions are wrong but I'd like someone who is a student or had recently been a student to weigh in on this.

BTW, the post from "New Hampshire Cats Fan" seems suspiciously like a post from the athletic department. Especially when it is posted on the other thread and includes the tag line "maybe more appropriate for this thread." According to who?

New Hampshire 'Cats Fan
04-30-2014, 10:00 AM
BTW, the post from "New Hampshire Cats Fan" seems suspiciously like a post from the athletic department. Especially when it is posted on the other thread and includes the tag line "maybe more appropriate for this thread." According to who?

haha...I am far from being a part of the athletic department. I live in Nashville these days, which would make it a bit challenging to run things in Durham :). Anyway, because our "main man" was featured in the article, I thought it would be more appropriate to post it here...thinking about this after I already posted the link in the other thread.

ClOuD 9
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Did you consider McCloskey to have success at UNH? If you did, you really need to look into what UNH women's hockey is about...they fired Karen Kay for not winning and McCloskey didn't even have a sniff of success that Karen did.
Karen Kay:
Win %: .689
Overall Record: 215-90-25
Accomplishments: 2 ECAC Regular Seasons, 1 ECAC Tournament, 2 Final Fours, 2 national championship games, 1 national title

Brian McCloskey:
Win %: .683 (through start of last season)
Overall Record: 246-104-38 (through start of last season)
Accomplishments: 6 Hockey East Regular Seasons, 4 Hockey East Tournaments, 2 Frozen Fours, 0 national championship games, 0 national titles

Also keep in mind that the landscape of women's hockey has changed considerably, in Kay's final season there were only two conferences and 19 Division I programs.

Darius
04-30-2014, 10:15 AM
Pretty impressive..??? I think not....Marty is turning a couple of condemned squash courts into a glorified study hall for D-1 athletes... for $1.9M....(what's wrong with the library?...aren't these kids isolated enough from the rest of the student body...????) This guy has to go...enough already....everything he touches turns to s____!Is this something all schools offer, similar to an athletes only weight room, that recruits consider?

Patman
04-30-2014, 10:28 AM
Is this something all schools offer, similar to an athletes only weight room, that recruits consider?

yes... a lot of them staff them full of tutors as well.

Darius
04-30-2014, 10:43 AM
It's hard to ignore that whenever something really negative emerges from "behind the curtain" of UNH Athletics, within 24 hours BS35 rolls out the latest of his "visionary" projects.

Maybe before we could say how this may have just been coincidental ... that's becoming increasingly difficult.

Athletes: BS35 promised to include us in the process. Then he broke those promises.
BS35: Whatever. Grow up. No one cares. *poof* Latest "visionary* project to the media.

You have to wonder how many other "projects" BS35 has stacked up for the next slew of crap to hit the fan.

I guess that "gag order" on the Women's Hockey team is really paying dividends now ... :pIntelligent. Evil, but intelligent?

HockeyRef
04-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Intelligent. Evil, but intelligent?

I can think of a few others but..Hey just curious wonder if UNH athletics does some kind of "exit" interview of sorts when athletes leave early. I mean these girls already pretty much summed up their feelings in the paper but wonder of they would be able to voice those opinions directly to Oz himself?! Anyone know if such a thing exists there?

Snively65
04-30-2014, 12:06 PM
My sarcasm was missed yet again in my earlier post, but one needs to consider that all of the "networking" opportunities in the new center will help scholar athletes to explore more efficiently their exit strategies.

Chuck Murray
04-30-2014, 01:24 PM
I can think of a few others but..Hey just curious wonder if UNH athletics does some kind of "exit" interview of sorts when athletes leave early. I mean these girls already pretty much summed up their feelings in the paper but wonder of they would be able to voice those opinions directly to Oz himself?! Anyone know if such a thing exists there?

Oz. That's great. :) Wish I'd thought of that one. :p The shoe definitely fits. :D

freak
04-30-2014, 02:10 PM
It's hard to ignore that whenever something really negative emerges from "behind the curtain" of UNH Athletics, within 24 hours BS35 rolls out the latest of his "visionary" projects.

Maybe before we could say how this may have just been coincidental ... that's becoming increasingly difficult.

Athletes: BS35 promised to include us in the process. Then he broke those promises.
BS35: Whatever. Grow up. No one cares. *poof* Latest "visionary* project to the media.

You have to wonder how many other "projects" BS35 has stacked up for the next slew of crap to hit the fan.

I guess that "gag order" on the Women's Hockey team is really paying dividends now ... :p

This.

HockeyRef
04-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Oz. That's great. :) Wish I'd thought of that one. :p The shoe definitely fits. :D

Well your "behind the curtain" kind of gave me the idea... ;) This entire scenario has reeked of it and it has taken the careers of student athletes to pull it back...

Snively65
04-30-2014, 03:08 PM
And, I suspect that there will be "break-throughs" in the Cowell expansion project rolled out at the appropriate times in an attempt to mask other "bad news" revelations over the next few months.

HockeyRef
04-30-2014, 03:24 PM
And, I suspect that there will be "break-throughs" in the Cowell expansion project rolled out at the appropriate times in an attempt to mask other "bad news" revelations over the next few months.

Personally I am holding out for the 'tron or video board at the 'Whitt...:rolleyes:

UNHHKYRKS
04-30-2014, 05:11 PM
Personally I am holding out for the 'tron or video board at the 'Whitt...:rolleyes:

Yeah, seriously! Can we just secretly hope for things to keep getting worse until Marty pushes this through to appease us? ;)

Scott
04-30-2014, 05:40 PM
Marty is going to be the guest speaker at the UNH Alumni Association cocktail reception on May 8. No doubt that he will be laying out his "grandiose" plans for the Athletic Dept. for those in attendance (read: pandering for alumni $$$). No doubt that there will likely be a few hockey fans in attendance...hopefully those who are there will ask some key questions.

Snively65
04-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Marty is going to be the guest speaker at the UNH Alumni Association cocktail reception on May 8. No doubt that he will be laying out his "grandiose" plans for the Athletic Dept. for those in attendance (read: pandering for alumni $$$). No doubt that there will likely be a few hockey fans in attendance...hopefully those who are there will ask some key questions.

How can an alum get a ticket to the reception?

Also, this thread is closing the number of posts gap fast with our off-season thread!

HockeyRef
04-30-2014, 06:28 PM
How can an alum get a ticket to the reception?

Also, this thread is closing the number of posts gap fast with our off-season thread!

TODAY is the deadline to get a tix to this prestigious event...if you call 800-891-1195 or visit http://www.unhconnect.unh.edu/lakes2014 you might still be able to go...that's the info on our info we got (hubby is an alum). We still might go too...checking it out as we speak..

It appears they are still taking registrations here; I'm amazed I know a few people on the "list" but then again we do live in the Lakes Region so I'm not that surprised. We've had the invite on the fridge for awhile; when hubby gets home I'll see if he still wants to go.

zoofer
04-30-2014, 06:33 PM
If Marty controls the Alum get-together the way he handled his appearance with the Friends group, he'll be making sure of the agenda with tight control! The Friends meetings are open to the public, however the night that Marty came to speak, it was "closed", and a gentleman who had driven up from Boston to attend the meeting was told he could not stay.....
To Hockeyref, many of the players have expressed their feelings to Marty.....a couple walked out on his meeting where he told them they would be included in the search....a couple have directly sent him Emails expressing their disgust with how he has treated them.....it goes beyond embarrassing how this team has been treated by UNH! Yes this whole affair is the creation of Marty jumping the gun, cow towing to a couple of parents whining, and his ill use of being PC, however has anyone heard from Pres. Huddleston? Any Trustee? So as I said on the girls thread, do we really believe that any coach or employee at the Field House trusts their boss?

HockeyRef
04-30-2014, 06:55 PM
If Marty controls the Alum get-together the way he handled his appearance with the Friends group, he'll be making sure of the agenda with tight control! The Friends meetings are open to the public, however the night that Marty came to speak, it was "closed", and a gentleman who had driven up from Boston to attend the meeting was told he could not stay.....
To Hockeyref, many of the players have expressed their feelings to Marty.....a couple walked out on his meeting where he told them they would be included in the search....a couple have directly sent him Emails expressing their disgust with how he has treated them.....it goes beyond embarrassing how this team has been treated by UNH! Yes this whole affair is the creation of Marty jumping the gun, cow towing to a couple of parents whining, and his ill use of being PC, however has anyone heard from Pres. Huddleston? Any Trustee? So as I said on the girls thread, do we really believe that any coach or employee at the Field House trusts their boss?

Ugh. I knew it was bad but wow, not this bad. I'm glad they have expressed their feelings directly to him. The longer I am in education and officiate sports the more I see of this kind of thing; but it's just unfathomable how this team has been treated from the stories here and in the paper. After what has appeared in the papers, here, if President Huddleston isn't paying attention, well, I just don't know what to say. It sure has been an embarrassment to his college and while I'm not exactly up to snuff with his relationships despite having 2 kids go through the past 7 years, I would think he has to be mindful of the climate. In closing 3 years ago just days before my son graduated from UNH his faculty held a vote of "no confidence" regarding President Huddleston. We wondered how he must've felt addressing the crowd and graduates knowing how his staff was feeling as he stood in front of them speaking. Of course, no such thing could ever happen at the field house, can you imagine? Time will tell. Again I hope the team can put this behind them and start anew with positive stuff.

Darius
04-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Ugh. I knew it was bad but wow, not this bad. I'm glad they have expressed their feelings directly to him. The longer I am in education and officiate sports the more I see of this kind of thing; but it's just unfathomable how this team has been treated from the stories here and in the paper. After what has appeared in the papers, here, if President Huddleston isn't paying attention, well, I just don't know what to say. It sure has been an embarrassment to his college and while I'm not exactly up to snuff with his relationships despite having 2 kids go through the past 7 years, I would think he has to be mindful of the climate. In closing 3 years ago just days before my son graduated from UNH his faculty held a vote of "no confidence" regarding President Huddleston. We wondered how he must've felt addressing the crowd and graduates knowing how his staff was feeling as he stood in front of them speaking. Of course, no such thing could ever happen at the field house, can you imagine? Time will tell. Again I hope the team can put this behind them and start anew with positive stuff."A vote of this nature is a tactic used in a difficult labor dispute," Huddleston said. "It represents the level of frustration faculty feel about not having a contract, and their concern for the future of the University in uncertain times. I know the faculty themselves are divided on the merits of this voting process – organized by one of the negotiating parties, on a rushed schedule, with hundreds of faculty not eligible to vote, and my testimony to the Senate Finance Committee misrepresented by the AAUP leadership."

"Out of the approximately 420 faculty members who were eligible to vote, 202 did so. There were 129 votes of "no confidence" and 72 votes of "confidence."

http://www.tnhonline.com/unh-professors-union-votes-no-confidence-in-president-mark-huddleston-1.2210137#.U2GlddhOW00