PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

freak
04-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Might be cheaper to build a six-level parking deck BEHIND the Whitt, next to the alum building, you know, partially hidden behind the trees. Then, we would be just like BC; high-end "NHLer" recruits would come flocking to UNH, the whole nine yards. What do you say, BS35?

Only if they can find a way to make it look like a brick building from the early 1900s.

Snively65
04-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Only if they can find a way to make it look like a brick building from the early 1900s.

True; gone is the brick yahd in Eppin'

Felger
04-06-2014, 10:31 AM
True; gone is the brick yahd in Eppin'

Epping no longer has the brickyard. But it has added a Starbucks. Says something right there about the decline of our society.

Chuck Murray
04-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Epping no longer has the brickyard. But it has added a Starbucks. Says something right there about the decline of our society.

Another sign of that decline (if not the impending apocalypse :eek: ) can also be found in Epping.

Three words: The Holy Grail

Mind you, not a bad place. But quite a *statement*, looking at the big picture and all ...

Snively65
04-07-2014, 12:09 AM
Another sign of that decline (if not the impending apocalypse :eek: ) can also be found in Epping.

Three words: The Holy Grail

Mind you, not a bad place. But quite a *statement*, looking at the big picture and all ...

Love da Grail. :-)

sonar
04-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Got your "crest" on the wall?

Snively65
04-07-2014, 08:41 AM
Got your "crest" on the wall?

I think so. Mom's side is Marriott; unfortunately not the hotel chain founding side, but rather stone cutters. :-)

wildcatdc
04-07-2014, 09:06 PM
For those of you wanting big Marty to grab the mic, the Rutgers AD gave us a nice example today of why sometimes silence is golden. :-)

Snively65
04-07-2014, 09:51 PM
http://www.tnhonline.com/news/crunching-the-numbers-1.3157319#.U0NW07HD8qQ

" “Our hope is to stabilize the student fee,” Marty Scarano, director of UNH Athletics, said."

The Zlax45
04-07-2014, 10:28 PM
http://www.tnhonline.com/news/crunching-the-numbers-1.3157319#.U0NW07HD8qQ

" “Our hope is to stabilize the student fee,” Marty Scarano, director of UNH Athletics, said."

1k dollars per student is pretty steep since at least 90 percent of the students don't even attend a game during their days in Durham. At least you can say the Campus Rec fee, can be used by the students.

freak
04-08-2014, 06:02 AM
1k dollars per student is pretty steep since at least 90 percent of the students don't even attend a game during their days in Durham. At least you can say the Campus Rec fee, can be used by the students.

As I've mentioned before, I used to take part in a "Spirit Focus Group" with athletics. I suggested removing hockey from the athletics fee and making it a student season ticket. I felt that students would attend more regularly if they had to open up their own wallets, instead of masking the costs through the athletics fee, and couldn't count on just getting their "free" ticket each week.

Athletics claimed it was a non starter because they needed hockey in the athletics fee to subsidize the rest of the department. Makes one wonder just how bad the financials are for the rest of the department with the fee that high.

JB
04-08-2014, 02:03 PM
As I've mentioned before, I used to take part in a "Spirit Focus Group" with athletics. I suggested removing hockey from the athletics fee and making it a student season ticket. I felt that students would attend more regularly if they had to open up their own wallets, instead of masking the costs through the athletics fee, and couldn't count on just getting their "free" ticket each week.

Athletics claimed it was a non starter because they needed hockey in the athletics fee to subsidize the rest of the department. Makes one wonder just how bad the financials are for the rest of the department with the fee that high.

No state money can be used for Athletics. State money can only be used for acedemics, which means everything else is on its own even things like dining and housing.

The only way athletics has a budget is from "income": fee, donations, gate (not sure if they get some from concessions) and from NCAA.

Snively65
04-08-2014, 03:11 PM
No state money can be used for Athletics. State money can only be used for acedemics, which means everything else is on its own even things like dining and housing.

The only way athletics has a budget is from "income": fee, donations, gate (not sure if they get some from concessions) and from NCAA.

With the exception of salaries, right?

JB
04-08-2014, 04:57 PM
With the exception of salaries, right?

My understanding is State money can only be used for academics, period, no substitutions, no exceptions, etc. Don't know how they figure it out.

Snively65
04-08-2014, 05:53 PM
My understanding is State money can only be used for academics, period, no substitutions, no exceptions, etc. Don't know how they figure it out.

Here is another TNH article from February 2013 about funding athletics at UNH with student fees. So, if each student pays $1k in fees, how is a $26 million annual athletics budget, including salaries, covered? Hockey ticket sales?

http://www.tnhonline.com/student-senate-pushes-athletic-dept-to-lower-athletics-fee-1.2993757#.U0RumLHD8qQ

zoofer
04-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Well you save money by having Scarano destroy and decimate the women's hockey program! Given that the hockey community is as right as it is, do you think the men's team won't be affected when the word gets out on how UNH, in this case Scarano, has abused, bullied and treated the women players'? No parent will trust UNH until someone gets control of what's going on over there!

Chuck Murray
04-08-2014, 10:18 PM
Well you save money by having Scarano destroy and decimate the women's hockey program! Given that the hockey community is as right as it is, do you think the men's team won't be affected when the word gets out on how UNH, in this case Scarano, has abused, bullied and treated the women players'? No parent will trust UNH until someone gets control of what's going on over there!

Let's not forget the potential Title IX implications on the Men's side of the house, IF something does happen with the Women's team. Not saying that impact would be felt in the Men's Hockey program, but you know the drill ... equal opportunity for both genders is the law under Title IX, so if one side takes a hit, then there is some "balancing" that needs to be done. Ask UNH Baseball and a few other abandoned UNH Men's sports programs over the years how it all works out ... :(

JB
04-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Here is another TNH article from February 2013 about funding athletics at UNH with student fees. So, if each student pays $1k in fees, how is a $26 million annual athletics budget, including salaries, covered? Hockey ticket sales?

http://www.tnhonline.com/student-senate-pushes-athletic-dept-to-lower-athletics-fee-1.2993757#.U0RumLHD8qQ

You do realize I am referring to only the money from the State.

Note NH is last in per capita funding of public higher education and was last before the last budget had a huge cut. The entire state university system (UNH, Plymouth, Keene, Manchester) was getting $100M FY10-11 and it dropped to $51M in FY12-13. (State budgets are biennium budgets) The drop in system funding hit UNH (Durham) by $32.5M a year over the last two years. Right now (maybe they decided and I missed it) they are wrangling over the FY14-15 budget, system is requesting $100M/yr again, Governor is offering 75M and 90M.

It is this money from the State that can only be used for academics only at least that is what is used to be, I doubt it has changed. Realize the total University Revenue is $538.5M so the money from the state is only 6.6%.

Undergrads are between 12k & 13k. Call it 12k and round the fee to an even $1,000 so about $12M in athletic fee input. The balance of $14M just can't come from the “States” $35.7M (last year). The need to find it in the other $490.8M in University revenue.

All of the above is from public docs on the web... no insider info here.

The Zlax45
04-09-2014, 03:03 PM
You do realize I am referring to only the money from the State.

Note NH is last in per capita funding of public higher education and was last before the last budget had a huge cut. The entire state university system (UNH, Plymouth, Keene, Manchester) was getting $100M FY10-11 and it dropped to $51M in FY12-13. (State budgets are biennium budgets) The drop in system funding hit UNH (Durham) by $32.5M a year over the last two years. Right now (maybe they decided and I missed it) they are wrangling over the FY14-15 budget, system is requesting $100M/yr again, Governor is offering 75M and 90M.

It is this money from the State that can only be used for academics only at least that is what is used to be, I doubt it has changed. Realize the total University Revenue is $538.5M so the money from the state is only 6.6%.

Undergrads are between 12k & 13k. Call it 12k and round the fee to an even $1,000 so about $12M in athletic fee input. The balance of $14M just can't come from the “States” $35.7M (last year). The need to find it in the other $490.8M in University revenue.

All of the above is from public docs on the web... no insider info here.

I just rather see Student Fees being used in a more productive matter than supporting an athletic department that doesn't bring in that much money at all. 1k dollars is a lot of money for someone to just give away every year.

Snively65
04-09-2014, 06:25 PM
I just rather see Student Fees being used in a more productive matter than supporting an athletic department that doesn't bring in that much money at all. 1k dollars is a lot of money for someone to just give away every year.

But, I think that what JB makes clear is that a slightly larger part of the Athletics annual budget comes from the general fund, hence tuition. So, whether you call it tuition or fees, it still adds up to the same amount. I also do not think that it would be any problem for the accounting office to assure that none of the Athletics annual budget comes from the state, as that $50 to $100 million, whatever, is such a small percentage (around 6 to 7%) that it can be directed elsewhere. And, obviously, state funds cannot cover the Cowell Stadium expansion or the more important Jumbotron for Lake Whitt. :rolleyes: