PDA

View Full Version : UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45

ClOuD 9
03-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Or if they can have even the mediocre one that they have at Alfond. When the Whit was built we were told that, structurally, it could support a four sided, state of the art, center ice scoreboard. If you remember, at the beginning they still used the old Snively scoreboards at either end. Then Tyco ponied up their ill-gotten money to support what we have today. I remember a Friends meeting back in the mid-90's when somebody from the management company (another sore subject) assured us that some day the "state of the art" scoreboard would be part of the Whit. However. 20 years later we're still waiting.

The Whit is still a good facility, better than all but a few in the East, but it needs a spruce up. Especially when it is mostly empty like it was this past weekend, you can see how drab it has gotten in places. The ceiling needs a good cleaning and the concourse and aisle stairs need a refinishing. But that takes some money beyond what no doubt is budgeted for the maintenance. And with the athletic department having moved on to the Cowell Stadium redo, it appears that the Whit is now almost an afterthought.
Needs a new sound system as well, if you are in the first four or five rows behind the high glass most things John says over the PA are completely unintelligible. I'm no sound technician so maybe this is stupid, but some speakers behind the seating bowl pointing down the rows may do wonders.

goblue
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
If I recall, they recently (2011, '12) sandblasted and painted the ceiling. I was told the lights were supposed to be replaced at that time but the budget slashes by legislature negated that.
Sometimes the lights are the only thing that's buzzing at the Whitt, sad to report. Snarkiness aside, we picked up the stream for Saturday's game, and the buzzing of the lights was distinctly heard in the background, just under the announcers' voices.

Greg Ambrose
03-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Sometimes the lights are the only thing that's buzzing at the Whitt, sad to report. Snarkiness aside, we picked up the stream for Saturday's game, and the buzzing of the lights was distinctly heard in the background, just under the announcers' voices.

I guess we could say there are a myriad of minor projects that need to be done. Sort of like my house. If it is not one thing, it's another. Even if you can budget for it sometimes you don't have the time, or worse, you can't find someone to do the job for you at a decent price. But you need to prioritize, because some things are more important than others. My wish list, in order, would be, first by a wide margin, a center ice scoreboard with decent video, then an upgrade of the sound system, and finally a resurface of the concourse and aisles. Of course, the ultimate wish list would be an on-facility weight room and a lounge area for players and/or fans but those are just pipe dreams unless some rich egomaniac who wants his name plastered all over the arena ponies up. Can't see that ever happening.

ClOuD 9
03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
#1) Jumbotron
#2) Sound system
#3) Lighting system (really negatively effects tv games imo)
#4) Sound panels in the ceiling. The Garden has them and it helps to keep noise in, the exposed beams really play havoc with the acoustics in the Whitt
#5) Resurface aisles, concourse, etc

To do list after I win Powerball:
Widen the concourse
Extend the series of boxes at the top of the bowl behind the opposing team's bench all the way around the arena creating additional premium boxes and in effect enclosing the concourse and trapping more noise in the playing area.
LED ribbon board around the interior of the now enclosed rink
Lounge area(s)
Matching set of 2nd level luxury boxes on the non-student end zone
Balconies on the two sidelines
Underground parking garage (accessible through the cement wall where Snively meets the Whitt)
Foot traffic bridge to/from A Lot over the train tracks

Greg Ambrose
03-19-2014, 02:33 PM
#1) Jumbotron
#2) Sound system
#4) Sound panels in the ceiling. The Garden has them and it helps to keep noise in, the exposed beams really play havoc with the acoustics in the Whitt

Widen the concourse
Extend the series of boxes at the top of the bowl behind the opposing team's bench all the way around the arena creating additional premium boxes and in effect enclosing the concourse and trapping more noise in the playing area.
Lounge area(s)
Underground parking garage (accessible through the cement wall where Snively meets the Whitt)

Regarding the parking. Am I the only one driven crazy by the fact that the alumni center lot is 2/3 empty for most games. Back in the glory days we were told that the spaces had to be reserved for the big shots in Concord and big donors who would grace us with their presence only if their walk from car to arena was less than two minutes. Well even then few biggies came to games and, if they did, they would not be seen before or after. We all have friends or acquaintances who have had season tickets that go back to the Snively days, some for the almost 50 years. Do they get any consideration for these coveted spots? Short answer no! The alternatives now are A lot (total nightmare) and the lot across from the late lamented New England Center. Back when the NEC was operating, you couldn't park there either. When people lament the difficulty in attending Friday night games, I believe it has as much to do with the parking situation as it does with the 7 o'clock starts. At his point would you not think that our all-knowing AD would throw season ticket holders a little sop and give at least those with the longest tenure of attendance one of those premium parking spots. Dream on I guess.

BTW, a foot bridge over the tracks from A Lot to the Dairy Barn has always been on my wish list. Probably not doable because of National Dept. of Transportation rules. But if they ever did, how about an incentive where you have the option of parking for free if you walk around but. pony up a buck, you can cross the bridge. What a fundraiser!

Snively65
03-19-2014, 02:38 PM
BTW, a foot bridge over the tracks from A Lot to the Dairy Barn has always been on my wish list. Probably not doable because of National Dept. of Transportation rules. But if they ever did, how about an incentive where you have the option of parking for free if you walk around but. pony up a buck, you can cross the bridge. What a fundraiser!

Or, how about a pedestrian tunnel? Might need a sump pump, but no big deal.

freak
03-19-2014, 05:20 PM

Extend the series of boxes at the top of the bowl behind the opposing team's bench all the way around the arena creating additional premium boxes and in effect enclosing the concourse and trapping more noise in the playing area

I've always been partial towards polycarbonate, floor to ceiling (or 10'-15' at least) panels around the top of the bowl. This would maintain the ability to watch from the concourse, but also help to trap sound. There is a huge volume of air over the concourse that helps to swallow what sound is produced.

UncleRay
03-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I guess we could say there are a myriad of minor projects that need to be done. Sort of like my house. If it is not one thing, it's another. Even if you can budget for it sometimes you don't have the time, or worse, you can't find someone to do the job for you at a decent price. But you need to prioritize, because some things are more important than others. My wish list, in order, would be, first by a wide margin, a center ice scoreboard with decent video, then an upgrade of the sound system, and finally a resurface of the concourse and aisles. Of course, the ultimate wish list would be an on-facility weight room and a lounge area for players and/or fans but those are just pipe dreams unless some rich egomaniac who wants his name plastered all over the arena ponies up. Can't see that ever happening.Are those the projects for Chez Ambrose or the Whit? :p

HockeyRef
03-19-2014, 06:37 PM
#1) Jumbotron
#2) Sound system

Widen the concourse
Lounge area(s)

Sounds great! I didn't know I was the only one who had considered what I'd do with potential PowerBall winnings for the 'Whitt... :D;)

ClOuD 9
03-19-2014, 06:59 PM
While we're ranting...
Here's another one: appeal to the legislature for an exemption to (or repeal of) the state law banning UNH from selling beer. Enact some safeguard restrictions like BU or the Garden where you won't sell to people under 25 with an out of state license (or just at all, to be extra safe) and profit.

Need more revenue? UNH state license plates. Create a blue and white color scheme, slap the Cat head logo on it - revenue and branding all in one.
<a href="http://umassalumni.com/licenseplate/">http://umassalumni.com/licenseplate/</a>
<a href="http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/blackbear.htm">http://www.maine.gov/sos/bmv/registration/blackbear.htm</a>

Snively65
03-19-2014, 09:11 PM
In 1908, there was the Curse of the Billy Goat, which the Chicago Cubs have yet to overcome. Then, in 1918, there was the Curse of the Bambino, which the Red Sox reversed in 2004. In 1959, there was the Curse of Rocky Colavito, which the Cleveland Indians have failed to resolve. So, now we have........?

Dropkicknh
03-19-2014, 09:22 PM
Or, how about a pedestrian tunnel? Might need a sump pump, but no big deal.

My friends father has worked at the university for somewhere around 30 years and knows a lot of what does and does not go on there. As he has explained before there will be no bridge over the tracks because Amtrak would have to allow it and the price is too steep. I believe there is the same issue with tunneling under, except that issue is power companies I believe.

Hux
03-19-2014, 10:31 PM
My friends father has worked at the university for somewhere around 30 years and knows a lot of what does and does not go on there. As he has explained before there will be no bridge over the tracks because Amtrak would have to allow it and the price is too steep. I believe there is the same issue with tunneling under, except that issue is power companies I believe.

Not Amtrak, but Pan Am Railways nee Boston & Maine.

scoreboard
03-19-2014, 10:40 PM
#1) Jumbotron
#2) Sound system

Widen the concourse
Lounge area(s)

My request for an improved Whitt would be:
#1 Skating Cheerleaders!
Every bit as entertaining and a lot cheaper than a Jumbotron. :)

ClOuD 9
03-20-2014, 07:11 AM
#1 Skating Cheerleaders!
They'd have to be good for it to work, the only school I've seen pull this off is Minnesota. I've always been of the opinion that unless they can hack it on the ice cheerleaders just don't belong at hockey games (I'm looking at you NU & Boston College).

Chuck Murray
03-20-2014, 09:16 AM
#1 Skating Cheerleaders!

The Minnesota skating cheerleaders remain my fondest memory of the 2002 Frozen Four. :)

UMaine losing to the home team in the Finals was (a distant) second ... :D

theprofromdover
03-20-2014, 09:42 AM
They'd have to be good for it to work, the only school I've seen pull this off is Minnesota. I've always been of the opinion that unless they can hack it on the ice cheerleaders just don't belong at hockey games (I'm looking at you NU & Boston College).

As a looooooong time season ticket holder at BC, I don't ever recall seeing cheerleaders at games.

Chuck Murray
03-20-2014, 09:55 AM
As a looooooong time season ticket holder at BC, I don't ever recall seeing cheerleaders at games.

I'm pretty sure I saw BC cheerleaders with the BC band at the Beanpot.

Having said that, I'd never seen BC do that before, so it may have been a one-off?

I didn't see either of the UNH-BC games this year (thank God) so maybe ClOuD saw it then ...

Felger
03-20-2014, 10:33 AM
The Minnesota skating cheerleaders remain my fondest memory of the 2002 Frozen Four. :)

UMaine choking to the home team in the Finals was (a distant) second ... :D

Fixed your post

theprofromdover
03-20-2014, 10:38 AM
I'm pretty sure I saw BC cheerleaders with the BC band at the Beanpot.

Having said that, I'd never seen BC do that before, so it may have been a one-off?

I didn't see either of the UNH-BC games this year (thank God) so maybe ClOuD saw it then ...

It's possible it was at the Beanpot. I haven't been to the Beanpot in >10 years.