Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    I'm not a big fan of spending money on non-education facilities unless there is some positive financial result.
    I'm trying to stay neutral/keep an open mind on this matter... I'd love to see a stadium built and I think it's way over due, but I need to hear more about this "business plan" they have. I think when they say it will create a "big economic impact" on downtown Durham that is kinda a joke. I don't think it will cause a huge increase for Business downtown. I don't think that many more people will start going to the games either. Maybe for the first couple years just to check out the new facilities but then it will prob. go back to what it has been lately(total assumption, could totally be wrong on that though). I'd also like to see more of the 25 mil needed raised through fundraising. If that many people are on board/ corporate sponsors I think it's very doable to get a good chunk of the money.

Now... I can certainly understand a persons opinion not to spend a lot of money on athletics. But by your thinking all UNH sports besides hockey would never (or hardly ever) get upgrades in facilities because they don't make money for the school. Now at some point a school does need to open their wallets and spend money on facilities. Whether it is on academic buildings, dining halls, dorms or athletic facilities. It needs to happen at some point. They need to keep evolving and develop the campus so they can stay on par/compete with other schools for students & good athletes with a good looking campus. The campus just can't stay stuck in the past, at some point they need upgrades. Now at what point do you let some air into the wallet and make long overdue upgrades? Someone brought up the field house. That's an old, out of date building. For all of those who are opposed to the new West Stadium or don't want to fund non-ed facilities, at what point do you upgrade or replace the field house then? When it's 100? 200? or 300 years old?(I think that's why the BBall team is so bad. HA) Same goes for the football stadium. At what point do you upgrade it? Because it's long overdue. Lots of people say just get rid of the football program because they drain money. I can understand that but I just don't think that's going to happen b/c if they keep making NCAA's the school likes the national attention as well as a host other reasons whether you agree or not. And if it's going to stay for the long haul then they certainly need/ deserve some upgrades. As long as it's done properly (lots of fundraising, no increase in tuition, ect.) I can get on board.

Comment

The basketball team doesn't even have a locker room to go to at halftime! They end up in a conference room for the athletic department
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

From the outside (Michigan) looking in, UNH should use the "McCloskey debacle" to "jettison" Scarano and bring in a "real" AD, eh?

Comment

Czarry, no disrespect but how do you know if hockey is profitable or not? Ive heard that before from maybe Greg. Are the books open to the public? Maybe they are and if so put it out there. How much of a profit are we talking about? What are the costs? Are the costs just operating costs or do they include the costs to fund tuition and room and board for the players. I dont know any of this. If you do then back it up. And since when is a public university held out to be a for profit organization?
          Last edited by e.cat; 02-07-2014, 05:49 AM.
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

ECat...I think it is widely known, and generally understood, that revenue from the hockey program supports a large percentage of the athletic department budget...It is the ONLY revenue producer at UNH....I'm sure their budget is available to the public and accessible for your scrutiny...If you want to dig the numbers out and make them available to everyone on this board, be my guest.....I have my own job and no time to do that...
            Your statement of "I don't know any of this" says it all and is a telling commentary on your posts........And who ever said a public university should be held out to be a "for profit" organization? This football proposal comes down to making difficult choices....courageous choices....I question Marty Scarano's ability to make these choices....he certainly hasn't exemplified much courage, in any respect, during his tenure...

Comment

Czarry, you're the one saying that hockey carries the load but can't back it up. Im not digging into the numbers. You supposedly have already done that. You're lack of clarity on this tells me that this is just pure speculation on your part. If you can't back it up then don't put it out there would be my suggestion.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that hockey is making much if anything if they're giving tickets away for free!!

Comment

Sorry ecat....I'm wasting my time responding to you.......

Comment

Originally posted by Czarry View Post
                    Sorry ecat....I'm wasting my time responding to you.......

One other thing before you run away and hide. Umile himself told me that the 50/50 was hockey's biggest fund raiser. What does that bring in $10k, maybe $20k on a good year? That might buy a lot of jockstraps but not exactly carry the load for the rest of UNH athletics Carry on....

Comment

can't resist...just one more thing e.cat.....
                      I guess you don't play golf....
                      you really really are displaying how little you know....!!!!

Comment

ECat...I think it is widely known, and generally understood, that revenue from the hockey program supports a large percentage of the athletic department budget...It is the ONLY revenue producer at UNH....I'm sure their budget is available to the public and accessible for your scrutiny...If you want to dig the numbers out and make them available to everyone on this board, be my guest.....I have my own job and no time to do that...
                        Your statement of "I don't know any of this" says it all and is a telling commentary on your posts........And who ever said a public university should be held out to be a "for profit" organization? This football proposal comes down to making difficult choices....courageous choices....I question Marty Scarano's ability to make these choices....he certainly hasn't exemplified much courage, in any respect, during his tenure...
                        ONLY revenue producer? Sorry, Czarry, but any sport where a single ticket is purchased, for a single event, for a value of greater than zero dollars, produces REVENUE. If what you are implying is that hockey is the only program which produces a PROFIT, than that makes more sense. Even if it were the case (and I actually would not be surprised, if you consider such REVENUE sources as team apparel/etc.) - if this were your argument for the elimination of non-profitable programs, than it shows an absurdly astounding lack of knowledge on your part of how the financing of collegiate athletics works. This is the VERY BASIS of Title IX (however you come down on THAT argument, and I prefer not to go down that rat-hole).

Whether you're a Michigan, a Maine, an Amherst, or God forbid a BC, the PROFITS from one sport are almost always used to subsidize the ability to field multiple sports. In the land of big-time 1-A, that typically means that football carries the load. Here, if it's hockey, than so be it. That's the way it works.

Setting aside e.cat's for-profit/not-for-profit point (and I actually get what he's saying, as evidenced by my last paragraph), the challenge the athletic department has is to balance the desire to have the normal set of "sports offerings", if you will, with the economics of the situation at hand. I would tend to think that most rational D1-level schools would see a competitive football program being part of the sports offerings that comprise the typical college experience. Especially for a school whose team has delivered 10 STRAIGHT PLAYOFF SEASONS. Shut 'em down now? Yeah, real courageous. What that would show me (personal opinion here) is a complete lack of will to make big invetsments in a winning program, and make them work. THAT'S courage, and is representative of the types of investments that those in private industry have to make every day, and deliver upon.
                        Last edited by wildcatdc; 02-07-2014, 10:34 AM.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Wildcatdc ... Yes, I should of said the major revenue producer and the only profit center.... Sorry..
                          Really didn't want to get into this football discussion anyway... The reason for me starting this thread (see my first post) in the first place, was solely to express my outrage to Scarano's handling of the McCloskey firing....would like to keep the debate on that subject...

Comment

Wow, the whole West Stadium debate seems to have polarized opinion between our hockey-first and football-first factions. While I'm unquestionably in the hockey-first faction, I don't think there's any reason that IF the finances can be generated via fundraising without impacting adversely on tuition, there shouldn't be a commitment to upgrading the football facility. It is frankly beyond embarrassing to the school that the current facility is FAR worse than high school facilities in Portsmouth and Exeter (and I'm sure elsewhere across the state - I mention those two due to proximity to Durham). The proposed facility is NOT Gillette Stadium North, or even close. It should be do-able. But then that brings us back full-circle to the constant underlying subject of our thread ...

This football proposal comes down to making difficult choices....courageous choices....I question Marty Scarano's ability to make these choices....he certainly hasn't exemplified much courage, in any respect, during his tenure...
                            I couldn't agree more. During his tenure at UNH, it would be charitable to BS35 to say that overall, UNH athletics have been "treading water". Men's Hockey has gradually fallen from where they were before he arrived, and Men's Hoops is pretty much status quo - as in abjectly abysmal. Even Football ... while Coach McDonnell has enjoyed a superb run with his team over the last 10 years, recall (1) he was NOT hired by BS35, but by his predecessor, and (2) Coach Bowes before him also had a long run of successful teams, too.

I'm not going to get into the smaller sports, as the underlying assumption there is that - as good, bad or mediocre as they all may be - they are not adding to the "bottom line". And they exist in large part due to revenues generated by the revenue-generating sports, of which Hockey is probably the only one that runs a "profit" or even close. So the question to me becomes ... why then is UNH satisfied to rely on only Hockey to be the revenue-positive sport? Look around, the biggest lost opportunity in the entire Athletics Department without question is Basketball. Smaller rosters, low equipment costs, travel to schools generally much closer than the other sports ... that all makes Basketball a MUCH better prospect to generate revenue for the department and the school than does Football, with its huge rosters, high equipment AND medical costs, and the sheer expense of traveling with a huge entourage to far-away road games.

And the kicker for the Basketball situation is ... IF someone were to ever get the program(s) off the ground, the infrastructure for the growth of the program is already in place. Once the program(s) succeeds to bang out Lundholm Gym (something I've experienced only in the Drapeau/Alosa/Chapman years in the '90's) ... the Whittemore Center is already in place, and offers the opportunity to double or treble the capacity of Lundholm. I know that is "dreamland" right now ... but BS35 has had almost 15 years to fix the situation, and is no closer to doing so than he was the day he started. In fact, it's probably even further removed now than it was back then.

Bottom line, BS35 has been the face of UNH Athletics during a period when one word - "complacency" - can best describe what's been going on across the various high-profile athletic programs. "Courage" has been in extremely short supply, as shown when he had the chance to back his Women's Hockey coach, but took the coward's way out and dismissed him. His concept of "leadership" is apparently to bully volunteers, coaches, players and his remaining minions into remaining mum about their personal feelings on the situation.

If President Huddleston is indeed the "agent for change" I think he has a major obstacle currently sitting in the AD's chair ...
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Just to be clear, Chuck, I'm hockey-first, by a LONG shot. Let's not generalize here.

My comments regarding Cowell/West come from a UNH-centric, not football-centric POV. That should be pretty obvious.... I don't think I've minced words here! :-)

Comment

And BTW, Chuck, I agree with your last statement. I do wonder what the Prez is thinking with regards to Scarano. He has executed a big decision or two in the human resources realm, so I know he's not afraid to pull the trigger when required. That stated, and in his defense, I've never taken him for a sports-centric administrator... He has tended to be a bit broader in his scope, and may not be as willing to drive that bus (perhaps to the detriment of the AD position, I will hand you that)

Comment

Working...
                                X