• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats - Marty Scarano

Great question Aerman!!

Comment

Guys, I apologize in advance, because I will continue to (unintentionally) sound like a shill for Huddleston. But I'm simply going to say it again, without quoting an earlier post of mine verbatim. This guy's intent is EXTREMELY solid, and his plan to transform the school into a noteworthy, leading-edge state university is one with which I'm personally on board, and in which I'm personally invested. We may never be a Michigan or Texas, but I hope we one day elevate ourselves beyond current level of discussion/comparison.

My experience with Huddleston is that he has little appetite for the status quo, is willing to openly challenge the funding situation (going to bat hard for the university system), and is continuously pushing the envelope for progress... I would urge you to identify a school that has as much on their agenda, pound-for-pound, as UNH: PTP, the new Comm's School, Franklin Pierce JD/MBA, Cowell, etc. It's a pretty freaking impressive slate of events given the funding climate and a woefully underpenetrated alumni $$$ base (I can assure you, having seen some of the sausage-making for PTP, that there are MANY alums who could stroke a check for some if not all of the Cowell $5M, but for whatever reason, aren't prying open their wallets; unfortunately, the loyalty and stewardship necessary to get to improved alumni contributions just doesn't appear to be there, consistently.).

I think the admissions question, while relevant (Michigan, UNC, Texas aren't winning championships and being competitive using slates of Rhodes scholars), should be separated from the agenda the University has laid out, inclusive of the Cowell upgrades (and yes, Greg, we need a dang scoreboard in the Whitt!!).

And I understand your passion about the Coach McC situation, Chuck, but, I think unless we see the TOTALITY of the facts, and the longer-term context of why the decision was rendered, we can't possibly understand the legal and ethical ramifications of the decisions the University chose to make (even if we don't agree with those decisions, in the end). Additionally, a more factual basis might explain the AD/Admin's current behaviors as well. We just don't have the COMPLETE data.

I realize that what I'm saying runs against the general trend on the thread, but I'm just trying to create a little balance.

Oh, and as for "blue skies"... we did snag the Mass and NH Gatorade POY's in football on signing day... they must have been following the Cowell story!!
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

I've been lurking below the surface on this thread, thanks wildcatdc for drawing me out. I have a lot of pride in the U, while not agreeing with everything they do, I believe their hearts are in the right place. The "6 percent on athletic and recreational facilities" seems reasonable. The current facility is pretty shabby, hard to take pride in. The stadium project is similar to old Kingsbury > new Kingsbury, McConnell > PTP, Snively > Whitt, etc. with mixed initial reaction followed by growing understanding and finally an "isn't this great, why didn't we do it sooner?" reality.
        Last edited by Darius; 02-05-2014, 01:45 PM.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
          Guys, I apologize in advance, because I will continue to (unintentionally) sound like a shill for Huddleston. But I'm simply going to say it again, without quoting an earlier post of mine verbatim. This guy's intent is EXTREMELY solid, and his plan to transform the school into a noteworthy, leading-edge state university is one with which I'm personally on board, and in which I'm personally invested. We may never be a Michigan or Texas, but I hope we one day elevate ourselves beyond current level of discussion/comparison.

My experience with Huddleston is that he has little appetite for the status quo, is willing to openly challenge the funding situation (going to bat hard for the university system), and is continuously pushing the envelope for progress... I would urge you to identify a school that has as much on their agenda, pound-for-pound, as UNH: PTP, the new Comm's School, Franklin Pierce JD/MBA, Cowell, etc. It's a pretty freaking impressive slate of events given the funding climate and a woefully underpenetrated alumni $$$ base (I can assure you, having seen some of the sausage-making for PTP, that there are MANY alums who could stroke a check for some if not all of the Cowell $5M, but for whatever reason, aren't prying open their wallets; unfortunately, the loyalty and stewardship necessary to get to improved alumni contributions just doesn't appear to be there, consistently.).

I think the admissions question, while relevant (Michigan, UNC, Texas aren't winning championships and being competitive using slates of Rhodes scholars), should be separated from the agenda the University has laid out, inclusive of the Cowell upgrades (and yes, Greg, we need a dang scoreboard in the Whitt!!).

And I understand your passion about the Coach McC situation, Chuck, but, I think unless we see the TOTALITY of the facts, and the longer-term context of why the decision was rendered, we can't possibly understand the legal and ethical ramifications of the decisions the University chose to make (even if we don't agree with those decisions, in the end). Additionally, a more factual basis might explain the AD/Admin's current behaviors as well. We just don't have the COMPLETE data.

I realize that what I'm saying runs against the general trend on the thread, but I'm just trying to create a little balance.

Oh, and as for "blue skies"... we did snag the Mass and NH Gatorade POY's in football on signing day... they must have been following the Cowell story!!
          I appreciate your efforts to bring balance to the discussion. I'm actually in favor of upgrades at the stadium, and had to laugh when I saw Huddleston describing the current state of affairs as a 1930's stadium, or something to that effect (100% true and agree BTW). I did have questions about the nature of the proposed funding when it first came out, and I thought Huddleston did a good job trying to explain how it was going to work. Invoking the comparison to The Whitt was shrewd.

Although I am not an alum, I have kids who are, and therefore I have written many checks and want that investment to be maximized for them long-term. That it's two towns over from the WIS Estate is an added bonus. I would agree that the progress around the campus over the years has been impressive, and has contributed in no small part to the post-Pease AFB closing success of the area as an economic engine. I want to see that continue well into the future, for myself, my kids, and eventually my kids' kids.

Good to hear that Coach McDonnell has lined up some "blue chippahs" for next season. Coach Herrion is hopefully taking notes.

Now ... as to our boy BS35, I can say that with as much information that has come out recently on this entire regrettable incident, we have probably only seen the "tip of the iceberg" come out in the local media. I have received additional bits and pieces of information from various sources - some of which I've shared in the past on this thread, and which has generally been shown to have been reliable and accurate. I don't post stuff on here unless it is confirmed AND I believe it, and I am not an easy "sell". There is more information out there - MUCH more, and some VERY recent - which is not out there yet, and which (1) is either unconfirmed, or (2) is confirmed but I do not have permission to share. I hate saying that, I really do. But if things go as I would expect ... based on both human nature and my general familiarity with legal processes, I would expect some very interesting stuff might be forthcoming fairly soon. And it's not going to reflect very favorably on how BS35 has handled (and is continuing to try to handle) the situation with Coach McCloskey.

I am 100% open to a balanced account of the goings-on, but to date the information coming from one side of the issue has proven to be credible and accurate, and the (limited) information to rebut that has been anything but. If/when that changes, I'm not going to stick my fingers in my ears and ignore it. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen, either.

And I would sincerely hope that IF Huddleston is indeed not a "status quo guy" as you've described him, he will also be open to "taking the bull by the horns" and resolving the serious injustice done to his former Head Women's Hockey Coach by his current 35 years and counting, everything is just fine and dandy, status-quo-huggin' athletics director. All done under Huddleston's watch, mind you. JMHO.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            I appreciate your efforts to bring balance to the discussion. I'm actually in favor of upgrades at the stadium, and had to laugh when I saw Huddleston describing the current state of affairs as a 1930's stadium, or something to that effect (100% true and agree BTW). I did have questions about the nature of the proposed funding when it first came out, and I thought Huddleston did a good job trying to explain how it was going to work. Invoking the comparison to The Whitt was shrewd.

Although I am not an alum, I have kids who are, and therefore I have written many checks and want that investment to be maximized for them long-term. That it's two towns over from the WIS Estate is an added bonus. I would agree that the progress around the campus over the years has been impressive, and has contributed in no small part to the post-Pease AFB closing success of the area as an economic engine. I want to see that continue well into the future, for myself, my kids, and eventually my kids' kids.

Good to hear that Coach McDonnell has lined up some "blue chippahs" for next season. Coach Herrion is hopefully taking notes.

Now ... as to our boy BS35, I can say that with as much information that has come out recently on this entire regrettable incident, we have probably only seen the "tip of the iceberg" come out in the local media. I have received additional bits and pieces of information from various sources - some of which I've shared in the past on this thread, and which has generally been shown to have been reliable and accurate. I don't post stuff on here unless it is confirmed AND I believe it, and I am not an easy "sell". There is more information out there - MUCH more, and some VERY recent - which is not out there yet, and which (1) is either unconfirmed, or (2) is confirmed but I do not have permission to share. I hate saying that, I really do. But if things go as I would expect ... based on both human nature and my general familiarity with legal processes, I would expect some very interesting stuff might be forthcoming fairly soon. And it's not going to reflect very favorably on how BS35 has handled (and is continuing to try to handle) the situation with Coach McCloskey.

I am 100% open to a balanced account of the goings-on, but to date the information coming from one side of the issue has proven to be credible and accurate, and the (limited) information to rebut that has been anything but. If/when that changes, I'm not going to stick my fingers in my ears and ignore it. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for that to happen, either.

And I would sincerely hope that IF Huddleston is indeed not a "status quo guy" as you've described him, he will also be open to "taking the bull by the horns" and resolving the serious injustice done to his former Head Women's Hockey Coach by his current 35 years and counting, everything is just fine and dandy, status-quo-huggin' athletics director. All done under Huddleston's watch, mind you. JMHO.
            You know, Chuck we actually are in violent agreement in a rather odd way. Simply stated, the more info that comes out, the more the iceberg is exposed, the more confused I get about the way the situation has been handled. It is precisely that increased feeling of confusion that has me wanting to understand the absolute core facts, and keeps me from drawing a conclusion. Odd, because as an Econ major, we were supposed to assume everything!!

You have access to info that I don't, and therefore, I can understand how your opinion would be more informed at this point. Looking forward to getting the dirt.... If it ever gets out there in the open!

Comment

Has not been all smooth sailing for President Huddleston the past few years either. The faculty voted him "no confidence" soon after Umile's team folded the tents two years ago this spring.

http://www.tnhonline.com/unh-profess...7#.UvLC27Eo6M8

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Has not been all smooth sailing for President Huddleston the past few years either. The faculty voted him "no confidence" soon after Umile's team folded the tents two years ago this spring.

http://www.tnhonline.com/unh-profess...7#.UvLC27Eo6M8
                Snives: PRECISELY PRECISELY PRECISELY why he's a change agent. This is why I support the guy. He's not an academic's academic. This came out, he brushed it aside and kept driving the bus. He's not kowtowing to the tenured and privileged. He's pushing for transformational change, and hasn't been afraid to simply follow the principles he's laid out.

To be clear here... I have no reason to be on a soapbox for the guy, outside of the fact that I want this school to be a highly-respected, cutting-edge state school (probably lingering issues from early in my consulting career, being surrounded by the pedigreed d-bags from Duke, MIT, Wharton, etc. - but that's my issue!). Having spent enough time with enough of the faculty and administrators a few times a year, I firmly believe he's just cut from a different cloth, and what we need. In retrospect, the no-conf vote didn't surprise me.... Not because it proved his incompetence, but rather, it proved that transformational change scares the poop out of people.

Sorry - I'm taking this way off topic. To be perfectly honest, I just hope my next trip back to the Nothern Hemisphere allows me a chance at some live Cats hockey. (3 hours time difference pretty much rules out staying up til 10:00 to START watching a game online). Given that the trip would coincide with the Garden weekend, I'm hoping doubly so.

Okay, stepping off the soapbox.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  Snives: PRECISELY PRECISELY PRECISELY why he's a change agent. This is why I support the guy. He's not an academic's academic. This came out, he brushed it aside and kept driving the bus. He's not kowtowing to the tenured and privileged. He's pushing for transformational change, and hasn't been afraid to simply follow the principles he's laid out.
                  Let's hope Huddleston scares the poop out of his AD half as much as the tenured faculty then.

Comment

This is all good discussion regarding the stadium and I would say Chuck that Huddleston's remarks in the Union Leader are timely for this thread. He talked about the specific funding mechanisms and the non-quantifiable benefits to my satisfactiin at least. I like the part about keeping the structure New Hampshire like in scale. Makes a lot of sense. Regarding UNH not becoming a Michigan or a Texas Wildcatdc, I'm not sure we need to or would want to go there. I think UNH can stand alone, uniquely New England culturally and we can celebrate that uniqueness and be proud of it.
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      When did ORHS move from the Landing rink to Lake Whitt?
                      The ORHS boys have played and practiced at the Whitt since it opened. As the other poster said, the girls started playing their games there this year. But don't forget there is also a very successful mens club team that practices and plays there and also a girls club team as well. They also have intramurals to deal with. M-F is usually well used. As for football, I think the stadium is a joke, but I believe the CAA is a very good thing for UNH. It's probably the best conference in the FCS top to bottom. All those schools are highly competitive athletically and academically. It makes sense to be in it. I hope that UNH never tries to step up. That would be a disaster. And the Patriot and Ivy Leagues are a step down. Remember they don't offer athletic scholarships (wink-wink).

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                        Shouldn't really matter with Umile...UNH should set the schedule for when Men's and Women practice which I would guess is 2pm and 4pm while the high school gets the rink at 6pm for a practice? Intramurals gets it at 8pm?

Just a guess
                        High school practices in the mornings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
                          High school practices in the mornings.
                          So point made even better...scheduling ice time is a non factor
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            This is all good discussion regarding the stadium and I would say Chuck that Huddleston's remarks in the Union Leader are timely for this thread. He talked about the specific funding mechanisms and the non-quantifiable benefits to my satisfactiin at least. I like the part about keeping the structure New Hampshire like in scale. Makes a lot of sense. Regarding UNH not becoming a Michigan or a Texas Wildcatdc, I'm not sure we need to or would want to go there. I think UNH can stand alone, uniquely New England culturally and we can celebrate that uniqueness and be proud of it.
                            Couldn't agree more. As a person who overtly (and often obnoxiously) carries the unique flag of NH/NE wherever life takes me, I'd hate to lose that sense. At the same time, establishing ourselves as a "destination state school", for specific reasons (CEPS, Whitt, PTP, Comm's, Cowell, Libby's, etc.) would be a pretty cool outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by ExHockeyguy View Post
                              The ORHS boys have played and practiced at the Whitt since it opened. As the other poster said, the girls started playing their games there this year. But don't forget there is also a very successful mens club team that practices and plays there and also a girls club team as well. They also have intramurals to deal with. M-F is usually well used. As for football, I think the stadium is a joke, but I believe the CAA is a very good thing for UNH. It's probably the best conference in the FCS top to bottom. All those schools are highly competitive athletically and academically. It makes sense to be in it. I hope that UNH never tries to step up. That would be a disaster. And the Patriot and Ivy Leagues are a step down. Remember they don't offer athletic scholarships (wink-wink).
                              Well the Patriot League does have schools that offer scholarships. And I'm not sure that Towson, Maine, URI or a few others are highly competitive academically. Certainly no more than UNH. But beyond all that, what is the upside, besides ego gratification, in having UNH playing JMU, Towson, W&M, et al? So what if the CAA is the best conference top to botton in the country. The schools in it don't make a profit, not even Delaware, playing football. I just can't see where playing that level of 1AA is beneficial financially to UNH in long run.

President Huddleston, in his remarks to the Union Leader, described the excitement throughout the state over UNH's run to the semi-finals as "palpable." Merriam defines that as "noticeable". Now, I don't live in New Hampshire, but some of my best friends in the world (sports fans all) who do did not seem terribly worked up about UNH's playoff success (perhaps things were different in Keene, Claremont, and Berlin). However Huddleston used his description as one of the justifications for the Cowell expansion. Marty has used as one justification the anticipated uptick in activity in downtown Durham after a game. Really? Show me the marketing study that says that's true.

I don't follow President Huddleston's interaction with the faculty, students, staff, etc. as closely as some obviously do. But I have to question his acumen on this topic when I read in the same Union Leader article that the Governer, Speaker of the House, and President of the Senate (Democrats and Republicans btw) question the expenditure. Can't see the upside of taking on a big project like this when the powers that be who hold the purse strings for the University are lined up against you. Did he consult with them? Doesn't look like it, does it? So he'll just go his own way I guess. My skeptic antenna has me sensing that he will wind up suffering the same fate as countless UNH presidents in the past. One man's opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                President Huddleston, in his remarks to the Union Leader, described the excitement throughout the state over UNH's run to the semi-finals as "palpable." Merriam defines that as "noticeable". Now, I don't live in New Hampshire, but some of my best friends in the world (sports fans all) who do did not seem terribly worked up about UNH's playoff success (perhaps things were different in Keene, Claremont, and Berlin).
                                I think "palpable" was probably a slight exaggeration. I would suggest it was "palpable" throughout the UNH campus, and something a tad less only a few miles away in any direction. But you can't fault the guy for being a little overenthusiastic.

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                However Huddleston used his description as one of the justifications for the Cowell expansion. Marty has used as one justification the anticipated uptick in activity in downtown Durham after a game. Really? Show me the marketing study that says that's true.
                                I must have missed that one. My guess is BS35 has the aforementioned *marketing study* hidden in his personal safe, right next to the *investigative file* for the Coach McCloskey dismissal. And his letters to the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus.

Comment

Working...
                                X