PDA

View Full Version : St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44

Saints#1
03-16-2014, 10:00 PM
The final team is locked in for next weekends championship weekend in Lake Placid as Cornell knocks off Clarkson 1-0 in overtime.

Saints#1
03-16-2014, 10:01 PM
How many Saints fans are heading down to Lake Placid to watch some good hockey? I know I'll be there for sure! :)

vicb
03-16-2014, 10:40 PM
The final team is locked in for next weekends championship weekend in Lake Placid as Cornell knocks off Clarkson 1-0 in overtime.

We was robbed ;) . Stupid Feola.

Kepler
03-16-2014, 11:49 PM
How many Saints fans are heading down to Lake Placid to watch some good hockey? I know I'll be there for sure! :)

We should have a USCHO meetup. There must be at least a hundred regular ECAC posters I've not met.

BTW, has anybody ever gone to Whiteface for the Saturday a.m.? I've thought about it over the years and might finally pull the trigger on it.

Kepler
03-16-2014, 11:51 PM

It was a helluva game that could have gone both ways.

The guy who really robbed you was Bardreau with that ridiculous diving save when Iles was down and our net was 99% empty. Casey's going to see that in his dreams all summer.

I think I asked this before, but why is there no Clarkson thread on USCHO anymore? Does the Roundtable make it superfluous (I know that's why there's rarely a Cornell thread here).

hockeyplayer1015
03-17-2014, 12:57 AM
Leckster, to answer your inquiry about "where is Stevenson, anyways?"... he's toiling in the ECHL, not putting up spectacular numbers, however he has improved statistically each year. Playing for Wheeling this year, had 7 games in SWB in the AHL.

bcarlisle
03-17-2014, 01:16 AM
INot something I had hoped to be saying when let's face it, St. Lawrence hockey has been already battling some rebuilding years the past few years. I'm sick of losing and would like to think we could be a consistently winning program. I would prefer not to have to wait a few years (I mean, who would?), but it appears we may not have much of a choice :(

Saints#1 Nobody likes to lose and it's probably fair to say that this year our talent may have exceeded our record, but I'd like to stick up strongly for our coaching staff.

St. Lawrence has, on balance, done more with fewer resources over the year's than any program I can think of. By a mile. It seems to me that we do that by being St. Lawrence and true to ourselves. We hire great coaches and think of them as teachers. They recruit great kids (who happen to be great players) and the faculty stays off their back. And then we let them do their jobs. We don't leave our coaches twisting in the wind when times are tough.

Times change. When Carvy got here, he confronted the need to do some catch up and fast. Other schools (like Union and Yale notably, not to speak of QPeck), were putting ever greater resources against hockey. Everything Carvy is doing seems to me to be bringing us up to speed for the long run, even knowing that we'll never match other schools dollar for dollar. His outreach to past players and alumni supporters leverages a resource that has been largely unattended to. He has worked with the administration and trustees to set up a mechanism for donations and he has gone out and secured some major contributions directly for the program, something that's never formally been undertaken before. To me, these are all reallly positive long term signs that maybe go unseen.

My point is that we are not just confronting a transition from Marsh recruits to Carvel recruits; it's much more than that. We are also facing a big sea change in the way college hockey is financed, even at the most seriously academic (and laughably "non-scholarship ") schools in our league.

I do know that Carvey is doing all the right things with the trustees, alumni and faculty and that many of these things probably could have seen some attention long before his arrival. Joe Marsh was the perfect coach for his time but I think we now have a new coach who is cut out for these new times. And Carvey does that while still being fully cognitive of and embracing of the truly unique tradition that is St. Lawrence hockey.

So, I'd give him a lot more rope. I don't know much at all about the Xs and Os of coaching or how you go about fixing a leaky PK but I'd bet on NHL experience any day. If Gavin Bayreuther is any indicator of Carvy's eye for talent and recruiting prowess, I think that we are looking at a coach with the potential longevity, record and respect accorded a Jack Parker, a Charlie Holt and even a Joe Marsh. And, I say that acknowledging that next year might be a tough one too.

Besides I will stipulate that you have no idea just how tough it can be to be an SLU hockey fan unless you lived through the mid to late seventies. This season was cherry pie compared to that.

Being a Saints fan is a long haul commitment. Patience.

TimU
03-17-2014, 07:47 AM
Saints#1 Nobody likes to lose and it's probably fair to say that this year our talent may have exceeded our record, but I'd like to stick up strongly for our coaching staff.

St. Lawrence has, on balance, done more with fewer resources over the year's than any program I can think of. By a mile. It seems to me that we do that by being St. Lawrence and true to ourselves. We hire great coaches and think of them as teachers. They recruit great kids (who happen to be great players) and the faculty stays off their back. And then we let them do their jobs. We don't leave our coaches twisting in the wind when times are tough.

Times change. When Carvy got here, he confronted the need to do some catch up and fast. Other schools (like Union and Yale notably, not to speak of QPeck), were putting ever greater resources against hockey. Everything Carvy is doing seems to me to be bringing us up to speed for the long run, even knowing that we'll never match other schools dollar for dollar. His outreach to past players and alumni supporters leverages a resource that has been largely unattended to. He has worked with the administration and trustees to set up a mechanism for donations and he has gone out and secured some major contributions directly for the program, something that's never formally been undertaken before. To me, these are all reallly positive long term signs that maybe go unseen.

My point is that we are not just confronting a transition from Marsh recruits to Carvel recruits; it's much more than that. We are also facing a big sea change in the way college hockey is financed, even at the most seriously academic (and laughably "non-scholarship ") schools in our league.

I do know that Carvey is doing all the right things with the trustees, alumni and faculty and that many of these things probably could have seen some attention long before his arrival. Joe Marsh was the perfect coach for his time but I think we now have a new coach who is cut out for these new times. And Carvey does that while still being fully cognitive of and embracing of the truly unique tradition that is St. Lawrence hockey.

So, I'd give him a lot more rope. I don't know much at all about the Xs and Os of coaching or how you go about fixing a leaky PK but I'd bet on NHL experience any day. If Gavin Bayreuther is any indicator of Carvy's eye for talent and recruiting prowess, I think that we are looking at a coach with the potential longevity, record and respect accorded a Jack Parker, a Charlie Holt and even a Joe Marsh. And, I say that acknowledging that next year might be a tough one too.

Besides I will stipulate that you have no idea just how tough it can be to be an SLU hockey fan unless you lived through the mid to late seventies. This season was cherry pie compared to that.

Good point about the 70s. I wasn't there, but I have heard there was some question as to whether SLU would give up on D1 hockey prior to the hiring of Mike McShane. More recently, I remember driving 4 hours to Canton in the spring of '98 to see SLU get demolished by Ylae, by a score of 6-0 I believe, to end a pretty miserable season. That team was just not good . . . but because they weren't very good, it was in a way easier to take when they lost. This year SLU had one of the top 2 or 3 forwards in the country, the best PP in the country, the best freshman defenseman in the league if not in D1, and quite a bit of talent. We saw what they were capable of in October and November, and then . . . poof. And there were things that were just difficult to fathom for fans (e.g., how can a team with this much talent, this level of coaching instruction, and this kind of skating abilty, have a PK percentage in the low 60s?????). This year was hard to watch.

Five years from now, we may be looking at this year as that weird season when nothing went right, and ten years from now maybe the only way it'll stick in our collective memory is when people debate whether Greg Carey was the best scorer in school history, and wonder whether he would've broken the record if only ______________________."

Got 6, Want More
03-17-2014, 01:58 PM

Yeah, that is about as close as you can get. Still a great turn around season for Clarkson and Casey. Feola didn't do us any favors on Saturday. A few years ago, I saw the player on our team carrying the puck get called for interference, this weekend our guy was carrying the puck twice and we were called for a slash. Pretty much complete nonsense. No way in hell actual penalties were 6-1 or 6-2 to end the game but that's what you can expect with ECAC officiating....pure crap.

A few comments:

Looking at the Colgate roster, maybe we should be doing some recruiting in the CJHL still. It seems like 80% of their roster is from that league that is right in our back door. Who was our last CJHL player? Sean Flanagan? Brock McBride?

Bruce, good stuff and spot on. Carvy is a smart, hard-working, class dude, just like Hurley is. Good things will come. In some ways, this team was a lot like Joe Marsh's first team in 85-86. Two totally different types of players between the two older classes and two younger ones. As long as we can get scoring out of the returnees and newcomers, I think we will be better next season, and I think this team could make some noise in 2-3 years. However, Bayreuther is a Marsh / Hurlbut recruiter wrapped and delivered by Saint Alum Allie Skelley who was coaching Bayreuther at Holderness 2 years ago. His trajectory is just unreal. They weren't even sure he would enter this year, but he was playing so well they had to get him started at SLU. Recruits that are all Carvy's are still good such as Sweetman, Hudson, Dahl, Graham, Masella, and the promise of the classes coming in the fall and the next two years is extremely good. I've seen some video on guys like Bailey Conger and I think we were lucky to snatch him up against the Hockey East big dogs. The other thing that can be said about Carvy and Hurley is that they know the North Country, Canton and SLU hockey. We are extremely lucky to have the three coaches we do.

This season was frustrating. I don't have an explanation. I have some opinions but I am not going to share them here and second guess a great coaching staff and undercut individual players who I believe gave everything they had to give. Another player we lost that I thought was pretty good was Nelson Armstrong...I don't even remember what happened to him. I can say I don't remember a season when I remember being able to see the play develop and know we are going to get scored on several seconds before we do. The 4th goal on Saturday was an example, you could see half the net open and everyone going one way and knowing even a soft shot back against the grain would be a goal.

I would love to be going to LP, but it's a tough sell without SLU being there. Have fun and may the best team that doesn't start with Q win.

vicb
03-17-2014, 04:54 PM
As I stated before: we was robbed. Stupid Feola

lso, here are pictures of the two disallowed Clarkson goals...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi5ICQYIcAA2cMy.jpg (the puck is in Iles glove in this photo)

Yep it sure looks like a Clarkson player pushed him into the net according to Feola.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi4624aCcAAQ8NF.jpg (this is the play that was reviewed and was called no goal. no video angle could have caught the puck but Mr. Tansey's camera sure did)

freego
03-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Nelson Armstrong is with the Peterbourgh (sp?) Petes

ColSkate65
03-17-2014, 06:07 PM
Enjoyed watching the Saints this past weekend. You have a bunch of really great skaters and guys who can fly. Either team could have won this series. Greg Carey is awesome - you were lucky to have him. I root for SLU when I'm not pulling for my alma mater. Sorry we had to end your season but best of luck next year. You guys are always tough....and a class act :)

Muskieman
03-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Good point about the 70s. I wasn't there, but I have heard there was some question as to whether SLU would give up on D1 hockey prior to the hiring of Mike McShane. More recently, I remember driving 4 hours to Canton in the spring of '98 to see SLU get demolished by Ylae, by a score of 6-0 I believe, to end a pretty miserable season. That team was just not good . . . but because they weren't very good, it was in a way easier to take when they lost. This year SLU had one of the top 2 or 3 forwards in the country, the best PP in the country, the best freshman defenseman in the league if not in D1, and quite a bit of talent. We saw what they were capable of in October and November, and then . . . poof. And there were things that were just difficult to fathom for fans (e.g., how can a team with this much talent, this level of coaching instruction, and this kind of skating abilty, have a PK percentage in the low 60s?????). This year was hard to watch.

Five years from now, we may be looking at this year as that weird season when nothing went right, and ten years from now maybe the only way it'll stick in our collective memory is when people debate whether Greg Carey was the best scorer in school history, and wonder whether he would've broken the record if only ______________________."

I was there in the 70's, and KNOW FOR FACT that the option of going to D-3 VERY NEARLY happened. Mike McShane, and then Joe Marsh, saved D-1 hockey at SLU in my somewhat informed opinion. I could tell numerous stories about how bad it was back then but will just tell one here: The whole TEAM was allowed 4 rolls of tape (2 W and 2 B) for their sticks, pads, etc. at each practice. I got caught more than a few times giving in to players' demands and giving them more, only to get my ***** reamed - and I mean reamed - by the coaches. So yes, this season was a walk in the park compared to the 70's.

This season was frustrating for sure. That 6-2-2 start fooled me, but our future looks very bright.

bcarlisle
03-17-2014, 07:58 PM
I was there in the 70's, and KNOW FOR FACT that the option of going to D-3 VERY NEARLY happened. Mike McShane, and then Joe Marsh, saved D-1 hockey at SLU in my somewhat informed opinion. I could tell numerous stories about how bad it was back then but will just tell one here: The whole TEAM was allowed 4 rolls of tape (2 W and 2 B) for their sticks, pads, etc. at each practice. I got caught more than a few times giving in to players' demands and giving them more, only to get my ***** reamed - and I mean reamed - by the coaches. So yes, this season was a walk in the park compared to the 70's.

We had quite a few really talented players in the mid 70's (Kevin Campbell, Scott Graham, Peter Blair) and some really good guys as individuals (Harry Aikens & Tom Faludi come to mind). But what always struck me when I rode on the team bus was that there was very little team chemistry, not much interaction between the players, not a ton of laughter or goofing around (Dickie Popiel and George Goulakos excepted in the early Leon years.) Maybe not surprising given the losing seasons. The big personality guys (Hoot Owl Harris) rarely dressed and even more rarely went on the road. Bernie had a headlock on recruiting in the maritime provinces but there were a lot of good recruits who just washed out in clouds of smoke and puddles of warm beer and never played much at all. The nadir was my class of '78, which had only two recruits, one flunked out and Pinky, who never really got a clear shot. The locker room looked like Chechnya after the Russian tanks rolled through and nobody thought there was anything abnormal about that. We are so much better off today, tough season notwithstanding.

Muskieman
03-17-2014, 08:09 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi5ICQYIcAA2cMy.jpg (the puck is in Iles glove in this photo)

Yep it sure looks like a Clarkson player pushed him into the net according to Feola.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bi4624aCcAAQ8NF.jpg (this is the play that was reviewed and was called no goal. no video angle could have caught the puck but Mr. Tansey's camera sure did)

I listened via Clarkson Audio and "We was robbed" is an understatement on your part. Learned today that the intent rule is in place in case a Ref. drops his whistle. That's just plain stupid - there are 2 Refs. on the ice. That rule has got to be changed. It resulted in a team advancing to LP that very likely would have lost, given that SOG's were at a premium last night.

Muskieman
03-17-2014, 08:28 PM

Great post and spot on.

Only problem is that 13 yrs. w/out an ECAC Championship is asking for a LOT of patience. 6-2-2 had me thinking this team was going to break that drought and make a serious run at an NCAA Title. Our inability to kill penalties really tested one's patience and ultimately dashed any thoughts that I had when we were 6-2-2.

Trying not to be negative here, just wondering what could have been - if our PK was able to better and consistently get the job done.

Got 6, Want More
03-17-2014, 09:54 PM

Wow, that's brutal Vic. I just saw video. Really brutal. I guess the league really wants 4 teams in the NCAA and will screw the other members to get it. I actually felt halfway through the game on Saturday night at Colgate that the refs would not let us win the game. The **** they called and didn't call all weekend is mind boggling. As much as I love SLU and ECAC hockey, officiating is a serious issue facing the league. If I were Casey Jones, I'd be using a five inch nail to nail that VHS to Shagwell's and Stewart's foreheads. Sorry your season had to end that way. All any of us ask is that it be fair.

Muskieman
03-17-2014, 10:18 PM
Wow, that's brutal Vic. I just saw video. Really brutal. I guess the league really wants 4 teams in the NCAA and will screw the other members to get it. I actually felt halfway through the game on Saturday night at Colgate that the refs would not let us win the game. The **** they called and didn't call all weekend is mind boggling. As much as I love SLU and ECAC hockey, officiating is a serious issue facing the league. If I were Casey Jones, I'd be using a five inch nail to nail that VHS to Shagwell's and Stewart's foreheads. Sorry your season had to end that way. All any of us ask is that it be fair.

Along those lines, perhaps the league wanted the 4 teams in LP that would best assure that 4 ECAC teams made the NCAA's - 2 "locks" and another 2 that would have the best chance to still be on the bubble (see Colgate, Cornell) if both lost in the semi's. and got a lot of PWR help. Given Feola's officiating Sat. at Colgate and Sunday at Cornell, I'm left wondering. What happened last night to CCT reminded me of BC's 2nd goal in Manchester in '07, except the whistle clearly blew with the puck still under Petizian's pads and in the crease and 1-2 seconds before BC jammed it in. Lengthy review, and they called it a BC goal - Guess the Ref's. intent that night was NOT to blow the whistle - exact opposite.

Nothing though, including '88 and last night, will "beat" what happened to Colgate in 2000 in Albany. Coach Vaughn asked for a review, it was denied, and replays clearly showed the 'Gate had scored in OT to "beat" Michigan, only to "lose" later in OT.

joecct
03-17-2014, 10:36 PM
Carey and cash
@WharnsbyCBC: @FriedgeHNIC Can confirm Matt Carey, 22, to leave St. Lawrence after freshman year to join brother Greg in free-agent search ...

turk181
03-17-2014, 10:43 PM
Just read that myself....https://twitter.com/WharnsbyCBC ......first saw it from Elliotte Friedman about an hour ago.....https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC