Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
    I'm making my first trip up to the NC this weekend. What is the best way to get tickets and where are some good places to eat in the area?
    Been two years since I was in Canton and my guess is everything that was open then, might not be open now. You are not headed to the epicenter of gastronomic wonder. I'd pack a lunch. Lot's of forgettable places. Several including Pizza Hut where stories of lore abound about opposing teams getting rather ill after dining there.

As to tickets.....SLU typically does not sell out. You can call the ticket office: (315-229-5696) or, I don't think you'd be in much jeopardy buying at the door. There isn't a bad seat at Appleton.
    SLU

Comment

• Re: St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyon

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
      Speaking in regards to Appleton, you should be fine to walk up and buy tickets at the door, I would imagine it would be the same at Cheel as well. Doors open at 6:00, get there around 5:45 and you should be fine ...

In Canton, the Club is a decent restaurant for a full sit down meal. Sergi's is a really nice Italian restaurant with great food (famous Pizza Rolls). In Potsdam there is Between the Buns, which is quite delicious as well (really good Burger there). If you're willing to drive an extra 15 minutes into Ogdensburg then I would highly recommend Busters, always enjoyed my time there and the food is excellent.
      Thanks for the recommendations. I'm glad to hear that I should be able to get tickets at the door. I usually like to get tickets in advance but my travel plans are contingent on the weather and would hate to shell out the money for tickets and not use them. Excited to see the NC buildings for the first time, plenty of history and tradition up there.

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
        Been two years since I was in Canton and my guess is everything that was open then, might not be open now. You are not headed to the epicenter of gastronomic wonder. I'd pack a lunch. Lot's of forgettable places. Several including Pizza Hut where stories of lore abound about opposing teams getting rather ill after dining there.

As to tickets.....SLU typically does not sell out. You can call the ticket office: (315-229-5696) or, I don't think you'd be in much jeopardy buying at the door. There isn't a bad seat at Appleton.
        Canton has always been pretty rough for food options and I never really understood why. Potsdam actually has quite a bit more in terms of dining options and some are quite nice. There are a few new ones (The Hop, Between the Buns) and some old reliables (Mama Lucia's, Eben Hearth, Maxfields, Scoops), definitely more than Canton has.
        St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
        4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
        2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
        16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
        9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
        2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
          Thanks for the recommendations. I'm glad to hear that I should be able to get tickets at the door. I usually like to get tickets in advance but my travel plans are contingent on the weather and would hate to shell out the money for tickets and not use them. Excited to see the NC buildings for the first time, plenty of history and tradition up there.
          No problem at all, always glad to help. You'll love both arenas and they are both completely different in terms of atmosphere and style. It's a great time at both buildings, enjoy!
          St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
          4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
          2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
          16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
          9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
          2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post

I've heard the legend of the Canton Pizza Hut. It's one of my favorite stories of ECAC travel lore. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
              In Potsdam there is Between the Buns, which is quite delicious as well (really good Burger there).
              I have to say, "Between the Buns" seems to me a very strange name for a restaurant. That phrase doesn't exactly whet my appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                I have to say, "Between the Buns" seems to me a very strange name for a restaurant. That phrase doesn't exactly whet my appetite.
                Homophobe!

You can still get a decent sandwich or meal at the Best Western in Canton. That is where the teams stay.

Yeah, i think there is going to be more than the DQ's. Not that that is how I'd prefer to weaken our opponents, but in 1988 we had to play Clarkson with 5 guys serving game DQ's for a brawl at the end of OT at Dartmouth. Each team last 5 guys for less than that.

Yeah, although it would be tough to lose a guy like Bennett, that UNH Women's coach was canned for grabbing a players facemask on the bench. A public display like that, he is lucky if it is just 2 games. RPI is not blameless, their coaches were just as much involved and the players leaving the bench is not good and I am sure that will be looked at too.
                9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                  Homophobe!

You can still get a decent sandwich or meal at the Best Western in Canton. That is where the teams stay.

Yeah, i think there is going to be more than the DQ's. Not that that is how I'd prefer to weaken our opponents, but in 1988 we had to play Clarkson with 5 guys serving game DQ's for a brawl at the end of OT at Dartmouth. Each team last 5 guys for less than that.

Yeah, although it would be tough to lose a guy like Bennett, that UNH Women's coach was canned for grabbing a players facemask on the bench. A public display like that, he is lucky if it is just 2 games. RPI is not blameless, their coaches were just as much involved and the players leaving the bench is not good and I am sure that will be looked at too.
                  Granted that it should be looked a,t but undoubtedly RPI's players left the bench to celebrate the victory although they quickly got involved.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Homophobe!
                    Male or female, between the buns is not what I want when I order food!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                      Granted that it should be looked a,t but undoubtedly RPI's players left the bench to celebrate the victory although they quickly got involved.
                      I know. It is hard to blame them. But when the fracas broke out they should have skated back to their bench. If I was Coach Bennett, that would have upset me. If that had gotten out of hand, having those extra players on the ice would have made it much worse.

Big win for RPI. That shouldn't be overlooked. Union is very good. But I have a feeling there is some supplemental discipline coming and that's too bad for RPI as they travel to the other nerd school.

Comment

Guys like Essery who have been good for 5-10 goals per season their whole careers has, in his case, 0-2-2 for the season. Beyond that our fortunes lie in goaltending and team defense and our goaltending was particularly bad the weekend the central NY CU's visited Canton.
                        Maybe the only ray of sun from the weekend: Sweetman 2 points, Smolcynski 2 points, Martin 2 points, Ward 2 points; goals from Dahl, Bayreuther, and Hudson; assists from Hughes and Essery.
                        But, counter that with 11 GA. Which follows last weekend's 9 GA, the 9 GA from Vermont, and the Clarkson 9 GA insult.
                        It just doesn't look like a defense, and it just doesn't feel like a team.
                        But there's 10 games left-6 at home. Maybe, just maybe-we can turn around like we did last year and hit the first round home level. We have the talent.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
                          We are a team that anybody should be licking their chops to play. Since November, the sum of the parts is much less than the sum of the individuals, for whatever reason. There are a lot of quality hockey players, and more importantly, quality young men in that dressing room that deserve a better fate than they are getting right now.

The past 2 months has been almost the same story game in and game out. Very poor defense, goaltending and penalty kill. Average, at best, 5 on 5. Above average power play that cannot win the game by itself. And a diminished (arguably disappeared) threat of secondary scoring.

All the things that we were doing right for the first 6 weeks has ceased to happen. The things we were getting away with is now hurting us, seemingly every instance that we make a mistake. I have no doubt that SLU will dig out of this hole, but the question is if it will happen before October.
                          Along those lines, I just got off the phone with a third-year student at SLU who called seeking an annual donation. She said, and I'm quoting her, "I see that you've donated to the M's & W's Hockey Programs in the past, your support is much appreciated, and both teams are having great seasons." I politely corrected her and nearly vomited after hanging up the phone.
                          GO SAINTS.

Comment

Originally posted by saintsdad View Post
                            Maybe the only ray of sun from the weekend: Sweetman 2 points, Smolcynski 2 points, Martin 2 points, Ward 2 points; goals from Dahl, Bayreuther, and Hudson; assists from Hughes and Essery.
                            But, counter that with 11 GA. Which follows last weekend's 9 GA, the 9 GA from Vermont, and the Clarkson 9 GA insult.
                            But there's 10 games left-6 at home. Maybe, just maybe-we can turn around like we did last year and hit the first round home level. We have the talent.
                            Yes, that's the bottom line. We are just a disaster in our own zone. All 6 guys...for at least 20 minutes per game. Fix that and good things can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by TimU View Post
                              Male or female, between the buns is not what I want when I order food!!!
                              Come on Upton.....I've seen you devour a hamburger, which was served between the buns in less time than it took me to put the ketchup on my own burger!!

Originally posted by saintsdad View Post
                              One of the positives of the weekend was indeed more balanced scoring. Still, like you point out.....it's the score at the end of the game that matters and in that regard scoring 3,4,5 goals is not good if the opponents score more. Defense is a team activity.....it's a combo of goal tending, D-Man play and forwards coming back for support and picking up men. It's also a mind set. I think our team, D included, is so hell bent on scoring they abrogate all their defensive responsibilities. I'd almost like to see us play one game where the team ignores offense and focuses on keeping the other team off the board. See if they can pitch a shut out and take what offense is given to us when the opportunity presents itself.

In other news and opinions.........I think both Union College, followed by the ECAC, showed major character weaknesses with their decisions on the end of game fisticuffs. Name me one other sport.....college or in any academic institution where if a coach struck a player...he would get a slap on the wrist??? Bennett should have excused himself from the program first and gone home for the rest of the season. Come back next year. If not Bennett self imposing punishment on himself....then the University showed (IMO) poor judgement in handing down a very weak suspension. Then the even weaker ECAC league office follows up and says....."yeah, we agree with Union...that's enough!" Also feel a message should have been sent to the RPI staff as well.
                              SLU

Comment

Nice interview with Carvel and Wells
                                http://www.stlawu.edu/media-room/dis...nd-chris-wells

Comment

Working...
                                X