PDA

View Full Version : St. Lawrence University 2013-2014: Carey, Carey, carry us to Placid ... And beyond?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

Spaceman
01-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Let's face it, losing is never fun....

It's important to try to keep things in prospective as well. While the Saints are on a 5 game skid, let's take a look at those games. They lost a 1 goal game at North Dakota, a 1 goal game at Cheel, a 1 goal game against Clarkson at home, a loss at UVM with a Clarkson hangover and finally a loss after a month long break.

The wheels haven't falling off. This team can win and will win.

Losing can be frustrating and back biting can begin. Hopefully the players will focus on what they themselves need to do to improve and try to be positive. I get a sense that once the Saints get a win back under their belt, they will be primed for a nice second half run.

Chin's up everyone. Just keep working hard and good things will come.

Got 6, Want More
01-08-2014, 11:10 AM

It's important to try to keep things in prospective as well. While the Saints are on a 5 game skid, let's take a look at those games. They lost a 1 goal game at North Dakota, a 1 goal game at Cheel, a 1 goal game against Clarkson at home, a loss at UVM with a Clarkson hangover and finally a loss after a month long break.

Losing can be frustrating and back biting can begin. Hopefully the players will focus on what they themselves need to do to improve and try to be positive. I get a sense that once the Saints get a win back under their belt, they will be primed for a nice second half run.

Well, if the guys are a bit frustrated, I am right there with them. The frustrating part for me is I know the talent level and I know how this team can play. They played a great game at Harvard, a great series at Ferris State. Clearly, some things have to change. We need more production from the other three lines. We need better Penalty Killing and goaltending. We need more emphasis on team defense and we have to learn how to protect a lead and stay out of the box. Not a fun game to watch last night. SLU looked pretty flat for the first half. I hate games over the winter break. That's what I will gripe about today...don't love this schedule. While I love the fact we had a series with FSU, Maine, Northeastern and UND, I would like to see SLU in some tourneys and this is a long layoff with only 1 game in a month by the time we drop the puck again.

I know this team can be good but I am starting to question when they will break out of this. Our remaining schedule is not exactly a piece of cake. We have two games against Q-Pac, home against Yale, home and home with Princeton who will not lay down with a coach like Bob Prier, two games each against Union and RPI and a road trip to Cornell and Colgate. I won't mention Brown...oh, I just did. That is a difficult schedule. More difficult than the first half in my opinion. We better find a way fast or this will be another crappy exit for a senior class that actually is pretty talented.

I also continue to be mystified by the fact we get guys that were decent scorers in touch leagues such as the USHL and their offense disappears once they arrive (noteable exclusions are Bayreuther and Sweetman) who are two guys we should not be relying on for offense to the extent we are now where I would guess they both are outscoring complete forward lines from last night.

bcarlisle
01-08-2014, 05:30 PM
I only watched the 3rd period. We looked pretty flat even though we had some sustained offense around the UVM penalty. That's what struck me. Compare the team energy level last night to the Yale game. it seems like they should be really much more up for a UVM game.

Are the students still out? To the extent I could see and hear, Appleton looked empty -Since they don't mic the crowd noise, its hard to tell -- but the crowd sounded like the Appleton crowd at one of my 1966 6:00am pee wee league games --with just seven Moms and three hungover Dads in the stands.

critsports
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM

I'll credit you with being an optimist Tayt. Long layoff and rink rust aside, I thought last nights game would be a good litmus test to tell us what to expect the rest of the way. Granted after not playing in game conditions for so long you do expect some rough edges. However Tayt the other side of the argument is that UVM played a bunch of lackluster ties against some of our other ECAC teams recently. My expectation was that while rust might have been present on timing.....that things like energy, enthusiasm, hitting and speed would have been off the charts.
Not to be negative....but I think we flunked the litmus test and I fear the rest of the year will be mediocre at best. If you can't come out and dominate at home and be flying after being that well rested....what will happen when we are in the midst of the grind of the rest of the schedule. For these older eyes.....a very disappointing effort and result.

Saints#1
01-08-2014, 06:31 PM
I only watched the 3rd period. We looked pretty flat even though we had some sustained offense around the UVM penalty. That's what struck me. Compare the team energy level last night to the Yale game. it seems like they should be really much more up for a UVM game.

Are the students still out? To the extent I could see and hear, Appleton looked empty -Since they don't mic the crowd noise, its hard to tell -- but the crowd sounded like the Appleton crowd at one of my 1966 6:00am pee wee league games --with just seven Moms and three hungover Dads in the stands.

It was definitely empty. The smallest crowd I have seen since ... Well, actually I have never seen that small of a crowd at Appleton, but yes the students are out and the weather wasn't the greatest and it was a weeknight. All things combined explain the empty arena.

Saints#1
01-08-2014, 06:36 PM
I'll credit you with being an optimist Tayt. Long layoff and rink rust aside, I thought last nights game would be a good litmus test to tell us what to expect the rest of the way. Granted after not playing in game conditions for so long you do expect some rough edges. However Tayt the other side of the argument is that UVM played a bunch of lackluster ties against some of our other ECAC teams recently. My expectation was that while rust might have been present on timing.....that things like energy, enthusiasm, hitting and speed would have been off the charts.
Not to be negative....but I think we flunked the litmus test and I fear the rest of the year will be mediocre at best. If you can't come out and dominate at home and be flying after being that well rested....what will happen when we are in the midst of the grind of the rest of the schedule. For these older eyes.....a very disappointing effort and result.

While I notably don't have older eyes ;) :p I have followed the Saints for close to 20 years now and I have to agree with you here. It doesn't look good right now, especially considering the circumstances. Hopefully they prove us wrong!

critsports
01-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Hey....just saw this on another thread. College hockey has a poll up to vote for the top line in College Hockey. Carey-Carey-Wick are listed but way, way behind in the voting. Let's give our boys some votes!!!

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/1/10/5279798/college-hockey-boston-college-top-line-johnny-gaudreau-kevin-hayes-bill-arnold

Spaceman
01-12-2014, 12:14 PM
Hey....just saw this on another thread. College hockey has a poll up to vote for the top line in College Hockey. Carey-Carey-Wick are listed but way, way behind in the voting. Let's give our boys some votes!!!

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/1/10/5279798/college-hockey-boston-college-top-line-johnny-gaudreau-kevin-hayes-bill-arnold

More votes needed!

hockeyplayer1015
01-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Gavin is ranked as the #115th best North American skater in the mid-season CSS rankings. He is the top current NCAA player, although there are likely some recruits above him.

Spaceman
01-14-2014, 07:18 AM
Gavin is ranked as the #115th best North American skater in the mid-season CSS rankings. He is the top current NCAA player, although there are likely some recruits above him.

I would be shocked if he was not drafted, although I was shocked he was not picked for the World Juniors this year. It looks like team USA could have used him!

Spaceman
01-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Greg Carey can help the Saints win by scoring goals and scoring points.

We can help him by voting for the next Hobey winner. Voting starts today.

Let's go team and do our job in making him SLU's first Hobey Baker winner! http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/vote

Saints#1
01-14-2014, 06:21 PM

Let's go team and do our job in making him SLU's first Hobey Baker winner! http://www.hobeybaker.com/awards/the-hobey-baker-memorial-award/vote

Done! It certainly would be nice for SLU to get it's 1st Hober winner. I think he deserves and probably has a decent shot.

critsports
01-14-2014, 11:26 PM

Don't forget that you can vote once every 24 hours.....so go back in and vote each day for Greg!!!!!

Done! It certainly would be nice for SLU to get it's 1st Hobey winner. I think he deserves and probably has a decent shot.

His shot rests entirely on two things happening.
1. He has to continue his scoring pace.
2. The team has to finish with a winning record and do better in the second half. This is not a mandatory thing for him. But it will really hurt his chances if the team flounders......he will have almost no shot if the team does not make some noise.

Saints#1
01-15-2014, 12:00 AM
His shot rests entirely on two things happening.
1. He has to continue his scoring pace.
2. The team has to finish with a winning record and do better in the second half. This is not a mandatory thing for him. But it will really hurt his chances if the team flounders......he will have almost no shot if the team does not make some noise.

True! I do think both of the above mentioned we have a good shot at accomplishing. The way he has been on a tear scoring not only this season, but his entire 4 years leads me to believe that will continue in the second half. If we continue the trend from last season, we should be in for a second half run as well. Hopefully this season it spills over into the playoffs. At the very least, I love to see us make the Lake Placid weekend!

BvillePucks
01-15-2014, 11:05 AM
Spaceman,
Love the recruits update - Thanks! If you don't mind please keep them coming on a regular basis. It's great to have everything compiled and not have to search out each individual player.
Question for all you Saints fans. I've been a lifelong Cornell fan and know that each game at Lynah has a good percentage of fans wearing CU gameworn jerseys. They have a sale at the end of each season and have done so for years. Does SLU do this? My daughter is a freshman at St. Lawrence and a die-hard fan. (I've already received my Cluck Farkson shirt from her). I'd love to get her a gameworn jersey if possible. Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide.

PS - Bringing my H.S. hockey team to the North Country this weekend for the Ogdensburg Tournament. We have tickets for SLU - Yale on Saturday night. Can't wait!

SLU Recruits Stats Update as of 12/28/13

Name
Position
Team
Games
Goals
Assists

2014 Recruits

Burmaster, Gregg
LW
Islanders

Eden, Mitch
D
Prince George

Gluchowski, Nolan
D
Tri-City

Lough, Ryan
LW
Green Bay

Marnell, Mike
LW
Des Moines

Purmal, Matt
D
Green Bay

Hayton, Kyle
G
Sioux City
16-5-1
2.26 GAA
.926 SV%

Ederer, Mike
LW
Buffalo- OJHL

Gicewicz, R.J.
D
Green Bay

Laidley, Michael
LW
Aurora- OJHL

Pritchard, Jacob
LW
Indiana

Gicewicz, Carson
W
Nichols School

Spaceman
01-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Spaceman,
Love the recruits update - Thanks! If you don't mind please keep them coming on a regular basis. It's great to have everything compiled and not have to search out each individual player.

How is this for timing?

SLU Recruits Stats Update as of 1/15/14

Name
Position
Team
Games
Goals
Assists

2014 Recruits

Burmaster, Gregg

LW
Islanders

Eden, Mitch
D
Prince George

Gluchowski, Nolan
D
Tri-City

Lough, Ryan
LW
Green Bay

Marnell, Mike
LW
Des Moines

Purmal, Matt
D
Green Bay

Hayton, Kyle
G
Sioux City
16-7-2
2.39 GAA
.923%

2015 Recruits

Ederer, Mike

LW
Buffalo-OJHL

Gicewicz, R.J.

D
Green Bay

Laidley, Michael

LW
Aurora-OJHL

Pritchard, Jacob

LW
Indiana

2016 Recruits

Gicewicz, Carson
W
Nichols School

BvillePucks
01-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Wow - Nice! Please know that your efforts are very much appreciated!
I know his stats are not overwhelming but I think the SLU recruit I am most excited about is RJ Gicewicz. I think he is going to be another slick, puck-moving D man in the Gavin Bayreuther mold (at least I hope so). Thanks again Spaceman!

How is this for timing?

SLU Recruits Stats Update as of 1/15/14

Name
Position
Team
Games
Goals
Assists

2014 Recruits

Burmaster, Gregg

LW
Islanders

Eden, Mitch
D
Prince George

Gluchowski, Nolan
D
Tri-City

Lough, Ryan
LW
Green Bay

Marnell, Mike
LW
Des Moines

Purmal, Matt
D
Green Bay

Hayton, Kyle
G
Sioux City
16-7-2
2.39 GAA
.923%

2015 Recruits

Ederer, Mike

LW
Buffalo-OJHL

Gicewicz, R.J.

D
Green Bay

Laidley, Michael

LW
Aurora-OJHL

Pritchard, Jacob

LW
Indiana

2016 Recruits

Gicewicz, Carson
W
Nichols School

NorthCountrySaint
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
True! I do think both of the above mentioned we have a good shot at accomplishing. The way he has been on a tear scoring not only this season, but his entire 4 years leads me to believe that will continue in the second half. If we continue the trend from last season, we should be in for a second half run as well. Hopefully this season it spills over into the playoffs. At the very least, I love to see us make the Lake Placid weekend!

I think this team is quite capable of a second half run. Carey x 2 will heat up and once the game start and the rust falls off, it should be a nice run. Need to get off to a good start against Brown, and don't forget how well Brown is playing of late (see: Brown 3, BC 3). Best of luck to the boys!

Muskieman
01-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Well, the Brown game just ended. That's the ONLY positive I can find right now. We WERE a 6-2-2 team at one point, has no injuries that I am aware of, and simply put, we have gone way south. WAY SOUTH!

Spaceman
01-17-2014, 09:40 PM
Gut check time. No better way to put things.

Glad I missed seeing this game.