PDA

View Full Version : MSU Spartan Hockey 2013-14: Sipping the hemlock again

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

owslachief
11-29-2013, 07:53 AM
I didn't get a chance to see either of ends of the offensively offensive exhibition last weekend, but reading the quotes I wonder how you can be "competitive" and notch one goal in 6 periods.

Princeton comes into Munn for a Friday / Sunday matchup. They're 3-8. For the fourth-straight weekend, MSU gets an opponent with a decided losing record, and naturally presents a ready target for that opponent to get healthy, record-wise. Spartans can easily be 3-9 after the weekend. Princeton's last 2 games they earned a split against 2013 FF finalist Quinnipiac.

Lots of grumbling right now even from the earliest Anastos supporters.

UMICH
11-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Only sipping the hemlock?

Spartanforlife4
11-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Nice 4-1 win tonight against Princeton. Due to the football game they'll be playing again Sunday at 1. A win would be nice, especially for some confidence going into the series with the #1 Gophers next week.

Spartanforlife4
12-01-2013, 02:52 PM
Nice 8-1 blowout win today. Might've been at a cost though, as Walsh was taken out by a Princeton player and hurt his knee.

I guess we'll see how far we've come since UMass-Lowell next weekend.

owslachief
12-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Just a sip

Bonin21
12-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Now you're all in big, big trouble.

owslachief
12-01-2013, 08:21 PM
Now you're all in big, big trouble.
cause it's poison?

state of hockey
12-01-2013, 10:53 PM
cause it's poison?

Cause it's PEOPLE.

owslachief
12-02-2013, 08:27 AM
I get it now. It was a kind of visual pun, like you're all in B1G, B1G trouble. Let's just hope the Spartans don't look past Minnesota. They could be an upper-half team this year!

Bonin21
12-02-2013, 09:28 AM
I feel like there's been way too much spin for a Billy Madison quote about how the Gophers are coming into your barn next weekend.

owslachief
12-02-2013, 09:50 AM
I feel like there's been way too much spin for a Billy Madison quote about how the Gophers are coming into your barn next weekend.

To me this had more of a Carl Spackler feel.

UMICH
12-28-2013, 02:11 AM
So I see that you've called it a year already...

Spartanforlife4
12-28-2013, 05:55 PM
1-0-1 is a good weekend. Tie against a team that swept us earlier in the year and then a complete domination of the #3 team in the land. Take out the great saves and that's probably a repeat of last year's 7-2 game at Munn. Hopefully we can fare better than we did last year in the games following.

Next test will be important for getting some breathing room in the conference. Pick up 5 or 6 against OSU, then follow it with PSU and we could cushion ourselves in 3rd with a chance at 2nd.

UMICH
12-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Yes you did completely dominate us today, it hurts me to say that. However, see we really do not deserve to be #3. I'm not trying to take anything away from your guys but to be honest we're not that good...

I'm thinking 7-9 at best.

Spartanforlife4
01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
Start the 2nd half of the season tonight in the loneliest arena in the country.

UMICH
01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Start the 2nd half of the season tonight in the loneliest arena in the country.

Trite except when Michigan is there it's maybe half-full. That's a rivalry, when people don't even understand the game yet they go...

Hockeybuckeye
01-11-2014, 12:05 AM
There was 5234 in attendance tonight. Would have probably had over 6000 easy if the Blue Jokers weren't playing at home tonight. Yeah it's big and hard to fill but we have filled it several times when hosting Michigan and we hold the NCAA indoor attendance record for hockey in a facility actually on a school's campus.
I think there will be a much larger crowd for Saturday's game and hopefully more Spartan fans make it down as well to support their team.

UMICH
01-11-2014, 02:05 AM
There was 5234 in attendance tonight. Would have probably had over 6000 easy if the Blue Jokers weren't playing at home tonight. Yeah it's big and hard to fill but we have filled it several times when hosting Michigan and we hold the NCAA indoor attendance record for hockey in a facility actually on a school's campus.
I think there will be a much larger crowd for Saturday's game and hopefully more Spartan fans make it down as well to support their team.

But most of your fans who come to hockey games against Michigan do not understand the game. They come incorrectly hoping that there will be a fight. It just shows how utterly pathological your fans are...

BTW, I saw your game on TV tonight. There is no way there were 5,234 people there. 523 sounds more like it...

Hockeybuckeye
01-11-2014, 11:04 AM
The way the arena spreads out it makes it look deceptive but that's how many tickets were scanned coming into the arena so it's accurate. And that's a pretty big assumption on what OSU fans come to a game for. I will give you the sport has grown slowly here because the University until lately has not made promoting hockey a priority. There is a new assistant AD here who oversees the hockey program and he's pretty passionate for the sport so we'll see what comes of his efforts but in a B1G school football & basketball will always reign. I've been here for the whole 50 years of the program and am a better judge of our fans than an outsider, no insult intended UMICH.

UMICH
01-11-2014, 02:36 PM
I've never been to a hockey game in ohio nor will I. But seriously, how can you deny any of what I said (ok 523 people might be a slight exaggeration on how few people were there but I was doing it for affect). I recall Michigan games down there with 16,000 people, why such a drastic drop-off in attendance? ohio residents are seriously pathological about Michigan, not in the same way as sparty in that they do not care if they win and only if Michigan loses. ohio wants to win, but they also want Michigan to lose. I actually can respect that because you care about winning first and Michigan losing second, with sparty it's the other way around. I think that percentage of tickets scanned versus seats in the arena would be a better judge because you do have a huge arena.