North Dakota 2013-14 season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Dakota 2013-14 season

Got tired of coming here day after day and not seeing a dedicated thread to one of the top-5 teams in the nation!

UND hosts Team Russia this weekend for a pair of games, gotta be excited about seeing so many Olympic caliber players under one roof! i.e. Finnish, Swedish, German and players, and of course Russian Olympians

Re: North Dakota 2013-14 season

Should be an interesting weekend against Team Russia. In the Wednesday press conference Idalksi talked about getting a chance to see a UND lineup this weekend that will be similar to what they'll have in February with their Olympians gone. Also with the Russians losing 8-0 to Duluth and then beating Bemidji, it should make for some good games.

Also here's their preview for the weekend, with the Idalski interview in it, http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle...CLID=209326470.

Lastly, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by HankScorpio View Post
      gotta be excited about seeing so many Olympic caliber players under one roof!
      Team Canada is playing an exhibition/Olympic warm up game vs Team USA at The Ralph on Dec.20/13.

Comment

Sluggish start for UND yesterday, maybe too much tryptophan in the players' systems? lol. But being that it was Team Russia's third game this week, it's really no surprise that they came out looking better at the start of the game. You would think that UND will come out better today!

They just posted their "February" lineup for today's game. https://***********/UNDWHockey/status/406873738357911552/photo/1 Be interesting to see how the younger players respond to not having Karvinen, Tapani and Eisenschmid in the lineup.

Comment

Good performance from UND yesterday. http://http://www.undsports.com/View...B_OEM_ID=13500

Shaw got the shutout and it sounded like the Russian goalie put up a good fight herself too. I'll be really interested to see how Russia does against Duluth this Monday. Doubt it will be another 8-0 blowout, jet lag had to play a huge part in that.

Comment

Big weekend series coming up at Clarkson. Huge implications for pairwise rankings too, and it would be great for UND to make a statement to solidify itself as a top-3 team. I think UND's biggest key to success this weekend will be staying out of the box, though that could be bit easier said than done with non-WCHA officials... What are everyone else's thoughts on this matchup?

Comment

What are everyone else's thoughts on this matchup?
              Whioux's going to win

Not sure if I should end it with a period or a question mark. At home or even neutral ice I would favor UND to win both. But the games will be played on Clarkson's home ice and it's a long road trip to get there which would seemingly tilt the balance in the Golden Knights' favor. All things considered, I think UND will need very solid or better goaltending to come home with a split.
              Last edited by D2D; 12-02-2013, 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm out on the limb with estimating a Clarkson sweep per my current week poster poll. Big series for both alright.
                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  Whioux's going to win

Not sure if I should end it with a period or a question mark. At home or even neutral ice I would favor UND to win both. But the games will be played on Clarkson's home ice and it's a long road trip to get there which would seemingly tilt the balance in the Golden Knights' favor. All things considered, I think UND will need very solid or better goaltending to come home with a split.
                  How do they travel, Fly to Syracuse and then bus rest of the way ?.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                    I'm out on the limb with estimating a Clarkson sweep per my current week poster poll. Big series for both alright.
                    As stated previously this series has HUGGGGGGEEEEEE NC$$ Pairwise implications for both teams. For Clarkson their tie and loss to Mercyhurst as well as their losses to Cornell and Harvard have really put them behind the eight ball in the Pair Wise. IMHO Clarkson needs to win these games more than N Dakota.

For Clarkson to win these games:
                    1) Get some scoring on the PP
                    2) Like North Dakota stay out of the box
                    3) Not make mistakes in their defensive zone like they did against Cornell and Hahvad.

Jamie Lee Rattray is their best forward and will be all over the ice. IMHO she is as good as any forward in Division 1. She has been carrying the scoring load for Clarkson lately. It would be real nice to get Carley Mercer back to scoring goals. Gagnon and Styner have come alive lately in the scoring column. Senior and 2 time ECAC Goalie of the Year Erica Howe has played well lately in the nets. She does not face many shots but stops most of the ones that get thru. Can't wait to see how Clarkson does against N. Dakota. I am guessing first team to get to 3 goals will win either game. I hope it is Clarkson. LGT LGT LGT
                    Last edited by vicb; 12-03-2013, 07:53 AM.
                    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                      Easiest way from Chicago - direct flights into Watertown on American Airlines, then a short bus ride to St Lawrence/Clarkson. Easier than going to Syracuse I would think.

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                        As stated previously this series has HUGGGGGGEEEEEE NC$$ Pairwise implications for both teams. For Clarkson their tie and loss to Mercyhurst as well as their losses to Cornell and Harvard have really put them behind the eight ball in the Pair Wise. IMHO Clarkson needs to win these games more than N Dakota.
                        The Pairwise is the one area that can really hurt WCHA teams, since they can't get as many nonconference games in, which then in turn hurts their RPI is more closer to their conference winning percentage. Also, UND is equally in need of these two games, the loss to Ohio State hurts and the win/tie against Duluth only helps if Duluth can stay a team under consideration. And the loss/tie to Wisconsin at home hurt, it's gonna be harder to make those points up on the road.

At least the one thing that should be good is showcasing to other teams around the country that North Dakota is still a threat after losing the Lamoureuxs. The coaching staff has done a fantastic job with getting in solid recruits and IMO I think it's really changed the dynamic of the whole WCHA.

Comment

The Pairwise is the one area that can really hurt WCHA teams, since they can't get as many nonconference games in, which then in turn hurts their RPI is more closer to their conference winning percentage. Also, UND is equally in need of these two games, the loss to Ohio State hurts and the win/tie against Duluth only helps if Duluth can stay a team under consideration. And the loss/tie to Wisconsin at home hurt, it's gonna be harder to make those points up on the road.

At least the one thing that should be good is showcasing to other teams around the country that North Dakota is still a threat after losing the Lamoureuxs. The coaching staff has done a fantastic job with getting in solid recruits and IMO I think it's really changed the dynamic of the whole WCHA.
                          Thanks for the information on UND. Looks like both teams need wins in this series.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                            Easiest way from Chicago - direct flights into Watertown on American Airlines, then a short bus ride to St Lawrence/Clarkson. Easier than going to Syracuse I would think.

That makes sense. Had not thought of Watertown as a larger airport, but suspect part of it's larger than expected service is to serve the major military base nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                              That makes sense. Had not thought of Watertown as a larger airport, but suspect part of it's larger than expected service is to serve the major military base nearby.
                              The problem is getting from Grand Forks to Chicago. Grand Forks is served by one of those regional carriers with Delta painted on the fuselage. There's going to have to be a stop at MSP. For a flight to Chicago they will have to change planes to an actual Delta or change airlines to American. Then when they get to ORD they face the same situation in reverse, Watertown is served by a regional carrier with American painted on the fuselage. Which means there is going to be another plane change (and if they are still on Delta an airline change). Geez, that sounds like an absolute certainty of lost luggage.

Syracuse might be a better idea even given the much longer bus ride at the end as the flight part could possibly be accomplished with only one stop, only one plane change.
                              Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Working...
                              X