Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sp you want to play in the NCAA Tournament? Here's how you get there!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sp you want to play in the NCAA Tournament? Here's how you get there!

From the D-III Handbook

31.3.3.2 Selection Criteria. The governing sports committee responsible for the selection of the balance of the championships field shall select teams in Pools B and C based on the criteria below. The criteria of two or more teams shall be compared to determine the higher-ranked team. An attempt shall be made to determine the
    ranking of two or more teams after consideration of the primary criteria (see Bylaw 31.3.3.2.1). If the evaluation of the primary criteria does not result in a decision, the secondary criteria will be used (see Bylaw 31.3.3.2.2). All the criteria listed will be evaluated (not listed in preferential order). (Adopted: 1/12/04)

31.3.3.2.1 Primary Criteria—Ranking and Selection (All Contests Leading up to NCAA Championships).
    (a) Won-lost percentage against Division III opponents; (Adopted: 4/15/03, Revised: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13)
    (b) Division III head-to-head competition; (Revised: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13)
    (c) Results versus common Division III opponents; (Revised: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13)
    (d) Results versus ranked Division III teams as established by the rankings at the time of selection. Conference postseason contests are included; (Revised: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13,
    1/16/13 effective 8/1/13)
    (e) Division III strength of schedule (see Bylaw 31.3.3.2.3); and (Adopted: 1/13/10, Revised: 7/24/12 effective8/1/13)
    (f) Should a committee find that evaluation of a team’s won-lost percentage during the last 25 percent of the season is applicable (i.e., end-of-season performance), it may adopt such
    criteria with approval from the Championships Committee. (Adopted: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13)

31.3.3.2.2 Secondary Criteria—Ranking and Selection.
    (a) Non-Division III won-lost percentage; (Revised: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13)
    (b) Results versus common non-Division III opponents; and (Revised: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13)
    (c) Non-Division III strength of schedule. (Revised: 7/24/12 effective 8/1/13)

31.3.3.2.2.1 Performance in Previous Championship Season—Football. In football, if all primary criteria are equal among teams with undefeated records, performance in the previous championship season may be considered in the secondary criteria. (Adopted: 10/17/11)

31.3.3.2.3 Definition of Strength of Schedule.
    31.3.3.2.3.1 Baseball, Basketball, Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball and Volleyball. In baseball, basketball, field hockey, ice hockey, lacrosse, soccer, softball and volleyball, the strength of schedule shall be calculated by combining the opponents’ average winning percentage (OWP) with the opponents’ opponents’ average winning percentage (OOWP) on the weighted scale of two-thirds weight for OWP and one-third weight for OOWP. Further, on a sport-by-sport basis, the Championships Committee may assign different weight to home contests and away contests for purposes of calculating the OWP and OOWP. (Adopted: 1/13/10)
    Missing - OOC SoS. So we can discount that.
    Greater minds that I can attest as to whether or not the smoke filled room (SFR) has ever used the secondary criteria. Also note that once ranked, always ranked is not mentioned.

New - possible inclusion of the last 1/4 of the schedule, however I have seen nothing in the NCAA Nooz to indicate that the SFR will use it. Does the 1/4 truncate or round up? If truncate, the NESCAC counts 6 (24 + 3 / 7 = 6.857), while the NCHA it's 24 + 2 + 2 / 7 = 7.143. And do they count all the games (ECAC-E) or just the D-III games (ECAC-E 21 + 3 / 7 = 3.429)??

Games vs. out of region opponents count towards primary selection.

Unknown -- do home games count more than road games?

BTW a big thanks to the Prof who found this. The discussion is me and my feeble questions only.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Sp you want to play in the NCAA Tournament? Here's how you get there!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Missing - OOC SoS. So we can discount that.

Statistically the NCAA's calculation of OWP and OOWP is flawed. Even so, the OOC SOS for a conference has a direct influence on the OOWP of every team in the league. If your league plays lots of games against teams with a high WP, the indirect effect is to boost your OOWP, because everything within your league regresses to 0.500, and what does not can be attributed to the teams that you and your conference mates play out of league. If your league had a perfectly balanced insular chedule your OWP and OOWP would both be exactly 0.500.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Better early than.......

Are we to understand the primary criteria is weighted? That is, A carries more weight than say, D?

Can we presume "common opponent" are the teams in your conference only?

Ranking does count, (NCAA's) at the end......

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
        Better early than.......

Are we to understand the primary criteria is weighted? That is, A carries more weight than say, D?

Can we presume "common opponent" are the teams in your conference only?

Ranking does count, (NCAA's) at the end......
        No, No, and that's how the NCAA computes them.

Comment

But only the last (secret) ranking is used to determine Record v Ranked.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

who is Sp Joe???

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
              who is Sp Joe???
              Sp is what my teecher wud put on mi paper when I cud not spel.

10 points off.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

10 points off.
                +1
                Steve
                Penn State Class of '95
                Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                  who is Sp Joe???
                  The irony here is amazing.
                  FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

10 points off.
                    i was correcting it b4 Fish did,I kant speell four krap...

Comment

I found this NCAA Powerpoint document interesting.

Download Free Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 Viewer here.
                      Last edited by norm1909; 11-27-2013, 02:43 PM.
                      Larry Normandin
                      SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                      WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

I found the FA violations piece very interesting in terms of the number . It seems that (at least based on what we've seen in hockey), most of the time the sanction is really a slap on the wrist, and an admonition to get the players with illegal packages either off the packages or off the roster. Nobody is getting hit with a "vacate the title" or "you can't play in the post season this year no matter what" penalty, even though in some of the more notorious cases, there seems to have been knowledge and intent to cross the line.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          I found the FA violations piece very interesting in terms of the number . It seems that (at least based on what we've seen in hockey), most of the time the sanction is really a slap on the wrist, and an admonition to get the players with illegal packages either off the packages or off the roster. Nobody is getting hit with a "vacate the title" or "you can't play in the post season this year no matter what" penalty, even though in some of the more notorious cases, there seems to have been knowledge and intent to cross the line.
                          Don't even get me started. ...
                          Remy Babineaux
                          remyb616@gmail.com
                          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                            Thought you might weigh in on that one

I'm feeling feisty on Primelink eve eve, with armed with only a computer, HDMI cable, TV set and the (not always reliable as I recall) Link to the Primelink Video. In the past when I couldn't get to the games I ended up (in frustration) listening to WDEV because of excess buffering on the Primelink site.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                              #
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X