Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quinnipiac & Princeton @ RPI & Union (12/6, 12/7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quinnipiac & Princeton @ RPI & Union (12/6, 12/7)

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
    No wonder Cornell has such a "tradition" of cheap BS.
    I got to RPI soon after Ned left-but the stories were still fresh. I am not sure if he took his same style to Cornell or not but I would imagine he did.
    Take the shortest distance to the puck and arrive in ill humor

Comment

Originally posted by DrDemento View Post
      I got to RPI soon after Ned left-but the stories were still fresh. I am not sure if he took his same style to Cornell or not but I would imagine he did.
      From the stories I've heard, if he didn't then a variety of strange coincidences took place.

(Though to be honest I have heard stories of such hijinks about every famous Olde Tyme Hockey coach except maybe Tim Taylor who as we know shat marble.)
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

No wonder Cornell has such a "tradition" of cheap BS.
        Oh, Flag. Never change.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Oh, Flag. Never change.
          Oh, Ivies. Never learn sarcasm.

Comment

When is it not? Darn Tigers must have their precious squeakball on Ivy League TV.
            For the record, Princeton's basketball team is scheduled to play a home game against Fairleigh Ridiculous at 7 PM that evening.

Though the idea of RPI scheduling its hockey game at 4 PM to accommodate Princeton fans who want to listen to the hockey game on the radio before going to the basketball game stretches the bounds of credibility a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
              Though the idea of RPI scheduling its hockey game at 4 PM to accommodate Princeton fans who want to listen to the hockey game on the radio before going to the basketball game stretches the bounds of credibility a bit.
              The cancer, stretching the bounds of credibility? Get outta town.
              Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cloud View Post
                The cancer, stretching the bounds of credibility? Get outta town.
                That's tempting to go in the signature.

Comment

Only those of us around a very long time remember some of those antics-our esteemed coach, Ned Harkness, was one to use everything and anything available to help his teams.
                  One of my favs is that he turned the heat in the bdlg up when they were playing a much faster team. Or, turn the lights off to slow down the game
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                    One of my favs is that he turned the heat in the bdlg up when they were playing a much faster team. Or, turn the lights off to slow down the game
                    There were stories of overhead lights suddenly not working so well over the end where an opposing goalie spent two periods. And of course the HFH doors being open at the stage end when the RPI team defended that goal so they could skate forward with a slight wind at their backs. True or not-they do make for some interesting stories.

Comment

There were stories of overhead lights suddenly not working so well over the end where an opposing goalie spent two periods. And of course the HFH doors being open at the stage end when the RPI team defended that goal so they could skate forward with a slight wind at their backs. True or not-they do make for some interesting stories.
                      The open-doors-at-the-stage-end idea may explain why, during the Harkness era, RPI defended at the stage end in the first and third periods of each game.

It wasn't until the late '60's, when Tom Nichol complained that he was being distracted by the noise being made by the band that was on the stage behind him two periods a game, that Garry Kearns decided to switch things around, figuring that having the other team's goalie distracted by the band two periods a game was better than having the wind at RPI's back.

Of course, in those days there were screens, not glass, atop the boards, and the screens didn't provide much insulation from the noise. It's questionable whether the band continued to be as much of a distraction after glass was put in, and maybe even more questionable whether they constitute as much of a distraction now that they are up in the stands, rather than on the stage that doesn't exist anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                        One of my favs is that he turned the heat in the bdlg up when they were playing a much faster team.
                        I'm guessing that happens at quite a few rinks even today. The old home ice advantage!
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

The open-doors-at-the-stage-end idea may explain why, during the Harkness era, RPI defended at the stage end in the first and third periods of each game.

It wasn't until the late '60's, when Tom Nichol complained that he was being distracted by the noise being made by the band that was on the stage behind him two periods a game, that Garry Kearns decided to switch things around, figuring that having the other team's goalie distracted by the band two periods a game was better than having the wind at RPI's back.

Of course, in those days there were screens, not glass, atop the boards, and the screens didn't provide much insulation from the noise. It's questionable whether the band continued to be as much of a distraction after glass was put in, and maybe even more questionable whether they constitute as much of a distraction now that they are up in the stands, rather than on the stage that doesn't exist anymore.
                          Back in the sixties, RPI had open skating sessions some evenings at the HFH(I went every chance i could get)-virtually everyone on the ice skated around in a counter clockwise direction. There were times that those doors wer open and IIRC it did seem like skating away from the stage felt aliitle like going downhill and coming back the other side was bit more of an uphill sensation.
                          Last edited by DrDemento; 11-29-2013, 07:49 PM.

Comment

questionable whether they constitute as much of a distraction now that they are up in the stands, rather than on the stage that doesn't exist anymore.
                            Apparently we make it very hard to hear on the opposing bench.
                            RPI Pep Band
                            GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                            🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                            2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                            2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Lets give this a kick since these are now all of teams' next games.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Good luck with the juggernaut from Hamden, that steamroller is headed down hill.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X