Ontario Board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Board

When trying to access either of the Ontario Boards ( http://www.network54.com/Forum/679250/ ) got the message:

"The forum was deleted by its owner.--"

Just wondering if other users are getting the same message?.

Re: Ontario Board

I got the same message.
    ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
      I got the same message.
      So no warning Poof Gonzo....Makes you wonder what triggered it.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
        So no warning Poof Gonzo....Makes you wonder what triggered it.

Uh oh, now I may have to go to the library and check out a book. What a shame.

Comment

It might be a Network54 thing as there is only one forum listed now under hockey. There used to be many.
          ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Canada has finally wised up and dropped hockey for basketball

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
              It might be a Network54 thing as there is only one forum listed now under hockey. There used to be many.
              That is not the case. I found some Network54 Hockey Boards on the boys side still well alive and kicking with plenty of postings today.

Comment

That is not the case. I found some Network54 Hockey Boards on the boys side still well alive and kicking with plenty of postings today.
                Just went back to one of them and found a discussion on the demise of the Girls board.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/672275/

It is one thing to lock it, it is quite another for 10 years of history to be deleted outright.

here are the links of the board, 2 deleted, the oldest one dormant for years, but not deleted:

Only one still present is the first incarnation from back in 2003.

2003 Forum (Statsy's) : http://www.network54.com/Forum/260296/
                2004 Forum (Dice original edition ): http://www.network54.com/Forum/283026/
                Open Forum (Current Dice edition): http://www.network54.com/Forum/679250/
                Last edited by OnMAA; 11-21-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                  Canada has finally wised up and dropped hockey for basketball
                  At my alma mater that is the case for sure. They have been CIS B-bal champs (mens) for 9 of the last 11 years. They would be a very solid NCAA D1 squad. There has been a strong trend of improving B-Bal north of the 49th in recent years.

Comment

I was born and raised in Europe and know more about the Canadian and American History than the average person born in North America.
                    At my alma mater that is the case for sure. They have been CIS B-bal champs (mens) for 9 of the last 11 years. They would be a very solid NCAA D1 squad. There has been a strong trend of improving B-Bal north of the 49th in recent years.
                    OK, good at North American history, how are you at North American geography?

According to Wikipedia:

"Although parts of Vancouver Island and parts of Eastern Canada are located south of the 49th parallel, and parts of the United States (Alaska, Northwest Angle) are located north of it, the term 49th parallel is sometimes used metonymically to refer to the entire Canada-U.S. border. This can be misleading, since many of Canada's most populated regions (and about 72% of the national population) are located south of the 49th parallel, including the two largest cities Toronto (43°42' north) and Montreal (45°30' north), the federal capital Ottawa (45.25° north) and the capital cities of all provinces except the Prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba), these being the only three provinces entirely north of the 49th parallel. The three Maritime provinces are each located entirely south of the parallel; however, the vast majority of Canadian territory lies north of it."

But never mind, I knew what you meant.
                    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

Originally posted by ManBehindTheCurtain View Post
                      OK, good at North American history, how are you at North American geography?

According to Wikipedia:

"Although parts of Vancouver Island and parts of Eastern Canada are located south of the 49th parallel, and parts of the United States (Alaska, Northwest Angle) are located north of it, the term 49th parallel is sometimes used metonymically to refer to the entire Canada-U.S. border. This can be misleading, since many of Canada's most populated regions (and about 72% of the national population) are located south of the 49th parallel, including the two largest cities Toronto (43°42' north) and Montreal (45°30' north), the federal capital Ottawa (45.25° north) and the capital cities of all provinces except the Prairie provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba), these being the only three provinces entirely north of the 49th parallel. The three Maritime provinces are each located entirely south of the parallel; however, the vast majority of Canadian territory lies north of it."

But never mind, I knew what you meant.
                      Well aware of the Geography. North of the 49th is a saying not an actuality. Near where we live, the border between the US and Canada is actually the 45th parallel for a long stretch. Not far from here, when driving north bound near the border, there is a sign that reads "Halfway to the North Pole". Southern tip of Ontario (Pelee island) is further south than north end of California.

Population wise, about 85-90% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the US-Canada border, even though Canada's land mass is much larger than that of the US.

Born and raised in Europe. Lived near the 53rd and even though that is much more north than were we live today (45th), it was a much milder climate. If New York would be in Europe, it would be further south than Barcelona and Rome, places considered very south in Europe, with sub-tropical like climates.
                      Last edited by OnMAA; 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

54° 40′ or fight, @$^#$&.

Comment

Just went back to one of them and found a discussion on the demise of the Girls board.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/672275/

It is one thing to lock it, it is quite another for 10 years of history to be deleted outright.

here are the links of the board, 2 deleted, the oldest one dormant for years, but not deleted:

Only one still present is the first incarnation from back in 2003.

2003 Forum (Statsy's) : http://www.network54.com/Forum/260296/
                          2004 Forum (Dice original edition ): http://www.network54.com/Forum/283026/
                          Open Forum (Current Dice edition): http://www.network54.com/Forum/679250/
                          Oh no...say it aint so!!! Did the Dinosaur Dictators running the OWHA finally get their way?? They've been lobbying to shut these down for years! Ha...lots of fun there..

Comment

What are those who love to bad mouth kids and coaches going to do? The world would be a better place if they shut down that network for good. This forum should not be viewed as a substitute (I hope).

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              What are those who love to bad mouth kids and coaches going to do? The world would be a better place if they shut down that network for good. This forum should not be viewed as a substitute (I hope).
                              I agree with you that there was way too much rubbish on that board as posting was anonymous, and little policing. That board was much better and more informative back in the day when our kids were still in minor hockey. Like you would not want the USCHO board to become the vehicle for that region, but my reason for posting initially was to A: find out what happened to it and B: Hopefully trigger someone to take up the torch and create a much more rational login driven board with better self policing to serve the Ontario Minor Hockey region.

Comment

Working...
                              X