Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College hockey scored as a cross-country meet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College hockey scored as a cross-country meet.

I am disappointed in th forum. How many weeks into the season are we and not a single thread trumpeting one conference's dominance over the others.[FN1]. To remedy this, I simulated the first-ever College Hockey Invitational. That is, I assumed each conference was a cross-country team, each school a runner, and each school's RPI rank this week was the order in which it finished the "race." I calculated each conferences' score accordingly. The results are bellow:
    1) Hockey East (50)
    2) ECAC (64)
    3) B10 (77)
    4) NCHC (92)
    5) WCHA (98)
    6) Atlantic Hockey (316)

Full results are here. [FN3]

For those unfamiliar, in cross country each team receives points equal to its first five runners' finish order. The team with the lowest score wins. (E.g., If team A's first five runners finish 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 and team B's first five finish 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, team A has 25 points and team B has 30 points; team A wins.). [FN2]

[FN1] I didn't search the forum; this may be false. If it is, I don't care.

[FN2] See generally http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_c...unning#Scoring.

[FN3] I am sure I made some mistakes; I am not an excel wizard. Feel free to point them out, and I will fix them.
    Union Class of '07

Re: College hockey scored as a cross-country meet.

I understand you want to grade it as a cross country meet but why not rank the entire league? It's flawed because the Big Ten only has 6 teams. So there score would naturally be lower cause your taking into account their second worst team's RPI. The best way to figure out what conference is best is to take each teams RPI in their respective conferences, add them all up, and divide by the number of teams in the conference. If you do that it comes out like this:

Big Ten: .5422
    Hockey East: .5312
    ECAC: .5163
    NCHC: .5125
    WCHA: .5121
    Atlantic: .4077
    Quinnipiac University '15
    ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
    ECAC Championship: 2016
    NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
    Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

In other words the average RPI for each conference?

But that lets one strong team in a small conference skew the results the other way, blah, blah, blah...
      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
        I understand you want to grade it as a cross country meet but why not rank the entire league? It's flawed because the Big Ten only has 6 teams. So there score would naturally be lower cause your taking into account their second worst team's RPI. The best way to figure out what conference is best is to take each teams RPI in their respective conferences, add them all up, and divide by the number of teams in the conference.
        Maybe you did this in your calculation and I missed it, but wouldn't you have to subtract the intra-conference games from RPI calculation first?

Also, you make a very good point about conference size and scoring a cross-country meet. In a cross-country meet, you count the top 7 finishers from each school; even though you only score the top 5. The other two runners, with a low-place finish, can make the other schools' scores higher.

In a dual meet, a perfect score is 15 - 50. One school takes the top 7 places, so that the other school's top 5 are 8 - 12 inclusive.
        "Hope is a good thing; maybe the best of things."

"Beer is a sign that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy." -- W. B. Yeats

"People generally are most impatient with those flaws in others about which they are most ashamed of in themselves." - folk wisdom

Comment

Not to mention, if you're taking USCHO's RatingsPI, it doesn't even calculate it correctly. The weightings are done wrong, and there's nothing for quality wins.

Comment

Originally posted by FreshFish View Post
            Maybe you did this in your calculation and I missed it, but wouldn't you have to subtract the intra-conference games from RPI calculation first?

Also, you make a very good point about conference size and scoring a cross-country meet. In a cross-country meet, you count the top 7 finishers from each school; even though you only score the top 5. The other two runners, with a low-place finish, can make the other schools' scores higher.

In a dual meet, a perfect score is 15 - 50. One school takes the top 7 places, so that the other school's top 5 are 8 - 12 inclusive.
            Didn't subtract the intra conference because that skews against the ECAC because the Ivy's play one or no non conference games up to this point
            Quinnipiac University '15
            ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
            ECAC Championship: 2016
            NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
            NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
            Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Working...
            X