Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Great game Saturday and my dislike of UMich has been ratcheted up a number of notches already. I couldn't see much of the scrum at the end of the game - I was in 112 - and sight lines weren't good for that. All I did see was a crumpled body, I assumed that was Zengerle, and also Barnes with his jersey over his head. Did anyone think the hit on Zengerle should have been a 5 and/or more? I just didn't see the hit. And any word on the league looking into possible supplemental action against players on both teams?
    Go Badgers!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
      Great game Saturday and my dislike of UMich has been ratcheted up a number of notches already. I couldn't see much of the scrum at the end of the game - I was in 112 - and sight lines weren't good for that. All I did see was a crumpled body, I assumed that was Zengerle, and also Barnes with his jersey over his head. Did anyone think the hit on Zengerle should have been a 5 and/or more? I just didn't see the hit. And any word on the league looking into possible supplemental action against players on both teams?

The hit on Zengerle wasn't overly hard or overly cheap. He just wasn't expecting it and was caught off guard. A 2 was sufficient.

I like that his teammates jumped in though.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
        Speaking of getting hit by projectiles, that guy in 110 (possibly 109) who caught that puck coming in hot...that was a nice catch.
        Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
        I'd say 111, as I was in 109 and he appeared two sections over from me. But agreed - great snag..
        It was 110, a few rows if front of where I sit.

And if #8 ever puts one in at home (his play has been improving over the last few weekends), please let me hear the student section bust out a "Who's your Paape" CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP chant.

Comment

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

And if #8 ever puts one in at home (his play has been improving over the last few weekends), please let me hear the student section bust out a "Who's your Paape" CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP chant.

I hope that kid scores. You work hard for so long, I imagine it's hard not to freak out a little the first time you're in the KC with the puck on your stick and a net to shoot at. It helps that he's had a couple chances now. When it happens Chuck's headline better include something like "Big Paape leads the Badgers!"

Hard not to like David Ortiz even if you hate Boston. Leaving out his most recently famous one, here's a couple of Big Papi quotes:

"I just swing hard in case I hit it -- that's it."

"Everybody has something to prove each year. Everybody has a responsibility in this game. Even the batboy."
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

"Who's your Paape" CLAP CLAP CLAP-CLAP-CLAP chant.
              Maybe getting the student section to do it anyway would put him over the hump!
              Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                The hit on Zengerle wasn't overly hard or overly cheap. He just wasn't expecting it and was caught off guard. A 2 was sufficient.

I like that his teammates jumped in though.
                Thanks. Agreed too.
                Go Badgers!

Comment

Non sequitur thought - What if last year's team had both Justin Schultz and Craig Smith?

Comment

Craig Smith
                    Nick Leddy would have shut him down.

Comment

Non sequitur thought - What if last year's team had both Justin Schultz and Craig Smith?
                      I had a similar thought the other night:

How would UW's program have changed if one or two players had stuck around an extra year (like Craig Smith who despite being clearly ready to move on we didn't expect to leave at the time, or Ryan Suter who was probably NHL ready already but the NHL was locked out his first season off campus)? Taking Suter as an example: how much further could the team have gotten in 2004-05 with him on the blueline? Would we have been able to be one of the all-WCHA Frozen Four? Which of our freshman D-men that season (Engel, Drewiske, Klubertanz, Piskula) could have not been a Badger because of Suter coming back, and how would that have impacted recruiting and results in the future?

In some cases, I'm sure we'd be surprised at just how much some things could've changed.
                      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                        I had a similar thought the other night:

How would UW's program have changed if one or two players had stuck around an extra year (like Craig Smith who despite being clearly ready to move on we didn't expect to leave at the time, or Ryan Suter who was probably NHL ready already but the NHL was locked out his first season off campus)? Taking Suter as an example: how much further could the team have gotten in 2004-05 with him on the blueline? Would we have been able to be one of the all-WCHA Frozen Four? Which of our freshman D-men that season (Engel, Drewiske, Klubertanz, Piskula) could have not been a Badger because of Suter coming back, and how would that have impacted recruiting and results in the future?

In some cases, I'm sure we'd be surprised at just how much some things could've changed.
                        Suter didn't decide to leave until after school already started, so those other d-men you mention were on board either way.

Comment

Oh, that's right. I'd forgotten about that. Now that you mention it, I remember seeing the news in the Daily Cardinal.

Come to think of it, he's probably the one early departure who could've stuck around another season and had absolutely no negative side effects (in terms of contributing to un-balanced classes or somehow preventing another good player from coming in).
                          Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 01-13-2014, 08:40 PM.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I watched some of Penn St. vs. MN tonight. Barry needs to take a road trip and see what a student section can be like if they loosened the reigns a bit. Loved seeing all the signs and everyone banging on the glass. Looked a lot like the Dane back in the day with the band right on the glass.

Comment

Originally posted by TJbadgerfan View Post
                              I watched some of Penn St. vs. MN tonight. Barry needs to take a road trip and see what a student section can be like if they loosened the reigns a bit. Loved seeing all the signs and everyone banging on the glass. Looked a lot like the Dane back in the day with the band right on the glass.
                              I'm not sure I get what you're saying. The band is not on the glass at Pegula. They are at the top of the student section and the students make kind of a "U" shape around them. As for banging on the glass…hmm…I saw this a lot on tv Saturday night at the KC so, again, not quite sure I understand. Signs? Don't know much about that thought I don't know if a sign is what a good student section makes.

That said, to say UW is out of touch with how to "direct" (can't think of a better word) student sections in general, is an understatement. So I'm with you on that. This year I sat at CR in the disability section due to a family member needing the seats. We were located right behind the student section and I was just amazed how they treated them. Pack em in one by one like sardines and heaven forbid they try to move. You couldn't sit down if you wanted to, there is just no room. And the security is constantly hounding students for everything. It takes forever for them to get into the game. I now believe it when students say its not their fault for why they arrive so late. I'm sure it kills attendance, especially for the lesser games (of which we have a lot). Sorry for the tangent.

Comment

Originally posted by UNI MadCat View Post
                                I'm not sure I get what you're saying. The band is not on the glass at Pegula. They are at the top of the student section and the students make kind of a "U" shape around them. As for banging on the glass…hmm…I saw this a lot on tv Saturday night at the KC so, again, not quite sure I understand. Signs? Don't know much about that thought I don't know if a sign is what a good student section makes.

That said, to say UW is out of touch with how to "direct" (can't think of a better word) student sections in general, is an understatement. So I'm with you on that. This year I sat at CR in the disability section due to a family member needing the seats. We were located right behind the student section and I was just amazed how they treated them. Pack em in one by one like sardines and heaven forbid they try to move. You couldn't sit down if you wanted to, there is just no room. And the security is constantly hounding students for everything. It takes forever for them to get into the game. I now believe it when students say its not their fault for why they arrive so late. I'm sure it kills attendance, especially for the lesser games (of which we have a lot). Sorry for the tangent.
                                Well...it is their fault. Arriving late is pretty much always an intentional decision made by the "fans" who waste their tickets. It doesn't actually take that long to get in. I always arrive before the biggest waves of traffic, but finding your seat happens very fluidly after your voucher is scanned. If people tried to move to different seats, it would be more chaotic. Actually, without rows and seats on the tickets this year, I was surprised at how well it worked.

Pack em in one by one like sardines
                                You worded it like it's terrible, but it makes perfect sense. "Like sardines?" It's no more packed in than in the rest of the stadium. Actually, there's more room in the student section, because people are standing, not sitting, so we adjust when necessary. That's a product of how close together the numbers on the bleachers are. The alternative to entering rows/seats one by one would be a mass stampede, leaving holes everywhere, and then you would have problems once you get to the back and people learn to hate each other.

I've never actually heard anyone say it's not their fault for why they arrive late. They get hammered, come late, and don't care they're at a football game anyway. It's pathetic*, and it is their fault.

*Especially because it forces fans who will actually support the program and get something out of being there have to pay more when tickets sell out because of the idiots.

Comment

Working...
                                X