Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Part of the solution is to slash ticket prices. Admit that this isn't currently one of the top three draws (there are only 2 right now) on campus.

Make all of the seats in the 100 & 200 level $15 a game. Make the 300s $10 a game. Better to have a full stadium that would have more money for concessions and merchandise than maintain the hard line on ticket prices and draw 7k a game. 7k of people who will not be enjoying the atmosphere and will be less in the mood to buy merch and maybe even food & drink.

Promote it as a family fun activity rather than as a hockey game.

The most successful minor league teams understand their market and promote their product in just this way. Take the Mallards for instance. They're not selling baseball. They know they're not the Brewers or Major League Baseball. They're selling the experience - come out to the ballpark and enjoy an affordable day with your family.

Anyway, a few years of cheap tickets and hooking people and maybe you could begin to raise prices again.
    Completely agree with you G. You're spot on.
    Go Badgers!

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Part of the solution is to slash ticket prices. Admit that this isn't currently one of the top three draws (there are only 2 right now) on campus.

Make all of the seats in the 100 & 200 level $15 a game. Make the 300s $10 a game. Better to have a full stadium that would have more money for concessions and merchandise than maintain the hard line on ticket prices and draw 7k a game. 7k of people who will not be enjoying the atmosphere and will be less in the mood to buy merch and maybe even food & drink.

The most successful minor league teams understand their market and promote their product in just this way. Take the Mallards for instance. They're not selling baseball. They know they're not the Brewers or Major League Baseball. They're selling the experience - come out to the ballpark and enjoy an affordable day with your family.

Anyway, a few years of cheap tickets and hooking people and maybe you could begin to raise prices again.
      You are absolutely right on.

I have women and men's tickets. So tomorrow with the Women's and Men's back to back, I wanted to take all my kids to the game (4 vs my normal 2 tickets). So I went to UW badgers.com to get 2 extra men's and 2 extra women's tickets. The womens tickets for 2 students with ticket fees is $6. OK, well my total cost for the 2 men's and 2 women's tickets was $73, subtract $6 and the two men's seats cost $67 for 2 $24/face value seats. Ridiculous. I did it to give my wife the afternoon to herself, but I guarantee, I won't be doing that again. And now they got rid of the ticket marketplace and you have to use stub hub and those prices were even higher than the $67 for two tickets.

We are going to sneak snacks into the game, because I am not buying snacks at their inflated prices after getting gouged in ticket fees.

Athletic Dept - get your heads out of your collective butts and realize this is too costly.

Oh and where are the banners again!!
      gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

More people in the venue at a lower ticket price not only boosts revenue from parking and concessions, but it improves the product. Better atmosphere, and more people will want to come back, not just for the hockey, but for the fans. As it is now, with current die-hard fans and a student section, people who come for a fun family activity are more likely to get caught up in the whole college hockey thing. Even if they're not getting loud every night, they're more likely to start following the team as a fan, especially if games are regularly televised. Not every new person is going to start following the team closely, but more will if you try getting more people in at a lower price per person.

With the points you made, I'm envisioning 2 kinds of TV ads - 1 is what I've seen a bit of already, a more dramatic video, with a couple big hits and a goal. The other would be marketing it as a fun family activity. I've seen ads of that nature for sports teams of both low and high profiles. Quick montage of the students doing a fun thing, then a bunch of families enjoying it, throw in one hockey highlight plus fans reacting...you guys probably know the type of commercial I'm talking about if you've watched enough sports programming. Then how does it end? "Tickets starting at just____" or "Family four packs available [insert details here]."

Also, to prospective recruits, a larger crowd looks more impressive. Actually, to potential fans, a larger crowd looks more impressive.

Badger Bob Johnson kind of did that, didn't he? Kind of a "hey, why don't you come to a hockey game?" sort of thing. It'll open the door to new fans, and it's not lke it would drive away old fans.
        Last edited by WiscDC; 01-10-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I think your prices are about right, and now with the Madison Capitials drawing more away, it will be even tougher to get the $24 / ticket. But we all know there is no way they will lower ticket prices, absolutely no way. They are way too greedy and there is not enough common sense up there to do that. Maybe when enough of us season ticket holders get fed up and don't renew they will be forced to lower prices.

I am so close to just calling it quits and buying a couple games here and there, and giving up my season tix that I have held for both nights for 15 years. The team is going to be much worse next year, we already know that. Smaller crowds and worse product next year and at that point is it really worth it to continue the season tickets.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

They will not do this, it makes too much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
              How many Rockford Icehog games did you catch when Skille & Dowell were playing down this direction? I'm guessing none or not many at best. People aren't generally driving an hour and a half to watch hockey that is one (or multiple....in the case of college) steps away from the show. Hell....people don't drive an hour and a half to watch the show on a regular basis.
              I just made it a point to see them when they played the Admirals in Milwaukee.

But I wasn't talking or expecting that these people would go to Madison frequently or over and over.

I think it's unusual/odd that people in Milwaukee that are hockey fans have never done it just once.

But, I'm a Milwaukee resident that drives to Madison at least 10 times a winter for hockey games, including women's.
              It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

It's a wonder they haven't contacted me yet today.

My profession btw is in marketing/advertising. This is 101 stuff which probably explains why it's beyond them.

We did case studies way back in college on minor league sports teams and also Disney. Successful minor league franchises understand these concepts. Disney understands what they're selling and trust me, it ain't roller coasters.

For UW, they need to make a Badger hockey game something that is desirable to attend and to be honest, the team itself is only a part of that equation.

Comment

Originally posted by tristarscoop View Post
                  I just made it a point to see them when they played the Admirals in Milwaukee.

But I wasn't talking or expecting that these people would go to Madison frequently or over and over.

I think it's unusual/odd that people in Milwaukee that are hockey fans have never done it just once.

But, I'm a Milwaukee resident that drives to Madison at least 10 times a winter for hockey games, including women's.

I think that if Madison were, say, 40 minutes away, it'd be more likely. There's just a line somewhere that most people won't travel beyond for certain things.

I would guess that there is a bubble map that UW has that shows where their ticket holders reside and I'd also guess that the vast majority for hockey are and were much closer to Madison than football would be.

I had a meeting with someone at the KC last spring (they wanted my company to advertise at the KC) and he indicated this to be the case, but I don't remember the details.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                    They will not do this, it makes too much sense.
                    Do you think it is because they think " ALL we have to do is win a few more games, and the rink will be full, and the bank account, too." and blame it all on the coach if it doesn't work out.
                    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
                    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

I do agree ticket prices are a problem since the economy dumped 4 years ago, though the decline started before than. The only reason I'm going to a men's game this year is the black Friday sale. If the 300's were always that price I'd go to more games. The other issue is the cost of parking, that needs to be addressed as well. I hold out hope they'll lower prices, though it's highly unlikely.

Why not do a men's/women's double header at the K/C to add value to the purchase?

I like the idea of cultivating the the Milwaukee market for the TV end of it since if ratings were better, they would be in a better position to fight off the Bucks for tv time.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                        Do you think it is because they think " ALL we have to do is win a few more games, and the rink will be full, and the bank account, too." and blame it all on the coach if it doesn't work out.

To be honest, their actions say that they are in fact that out of touch. Hard to know what they're thinking though.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

I like the idea of cultivating the the Milwaukee market for the TV end of it since if ratings were better, they would be in a better position to fight off the Bucks for tv time.

First off, I don't think that Badger hockey will ever supplant an NBA tv deal. I doubt they're even in the same city, let alone ballpark when it comes to the economics.

Second, I'm starting to think that the Bucks can't be long for Milwaukee. Call it a hunch... coz that's all it is.

Comment

I think that if Madison were, say, 40 minutes away, it'd be more likely. There's just a line somewhere that most people won't travel beyond for certain things.

I would guess that there is a bubble map that UW has that shows where their ticket holders reside and I'd also guess that the vast majority for hockey are and were much closer to Madison than football would be.

I had a meeting with someone at the KC last spring (they wanted my company to advertise at the KC) and he indicated this to be the case, but I don't remember the details.
                            I wonder what the hockey and basketball maps would look like. People travel far for big-time college football, and do so no more than 7 weeks per year for home games.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                              I wonder what the hockey and basketball maps would look like. People travel far for big-time college football, and do so no more than 7 weeks per year for home games.

Football, by far, had the greatest reach, although it still wasn't as statewide (& Chicago) as I would have thought. The vast majority were still from southern (mostly central) Wisconsin.

Basketball was closer to hockey, but that makes sense as it's more of a commitment in terms of number of trips to Madison, weeknights etc...

I just scoured my office for whatever they gave me in terms of info - it was probably in there - but I must have pitched it when we didn't work with them.

EDIT: Nothing (in terms of detail) in my email either...
                              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 01-10-2014, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                                I'd love to see the maps for BB, FB M & W hockey (I love maps). Years ago after a men's games there would be a good amount of cars heading north on 151 to Sun Prairie, Columbus, Beaver Dam and points north.

Travelling...FWIW, I have women's season tix and don't mind driving almost an hr 1 way twice a weekend for home games, but I would not do it if I didn't have a fuel sipping car or if they charged for parking. It's such a great value and great product that 2 hrs of drive is not a problem. I feel lucky I live within driving distance.

Milwaukee....yeah I guess the Yucks will always be on top of UW hockey over there. I just remember the Bank 1 Badger Hockey Showdown and how awesome it was. We can only hope they just go away.
                                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Working...
                                X