Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by Gandalf the Red View Post
    It has been many years since I went to a BB game (they are insanely boring in person w/ all the time outs and stoppages in play, and I like BB too), but back then they did show a hockey score from the previous weekend. I can understand not celebrating a loss (no need to mention friday's game), but overall it is in UW's interest to show the casual fan that they are succeeding in any/all sports. And as you point out, possibly get some interest going in that same casual fan to spend a friday or saturday at the KC for hockey.

Actually w/ the start of Big10 hockey they should be pimping the crap out of Men's hockey. While many here (myself included) have previously bemoaned the start of Big10 hockey and the end of the "old" WCHA, this could be a real selling point to get some extra people into the seats for a series versus teams they know like Michigan and Michigan State. While this doesn't necessarily excite me, it might some Big10 sports junkie who wants to see Michigan State get their *** handed to them in some other sport.

Just a thought. I honestly don't know sometimes who runs marketing for a lot of things, not just UW. I'm no expert, but if I or WiscDC sees the obvious shortcomings of something how do those who are getting paid to get stuff right blow it when it appears so easy to the naked eye?
    Yeah, they never show losses, only wins. But they do show wins in everything. At Saturday's football game, they showed a swimming meet score in addition to the team sports that won. They normally would show the hockey score, but I really don't get why something from Saturday wasn't shown on the following Tuesday.

Running that Big Ten Hockey promo at a football or basketball game would please me quite a bit.

Regarding those obvious shortcomings and people being paid to do things...I did try to get one of the athletic marketing internships for this year. My resume wasn't nearly good enough to have a chance, so I have to resort to sending in periodic messages when things p*** me off. I do everything I reasonably can to promote UW hockey, but it's nothing compared to what the athletic department itself could do...imagine that! I just find it so odd that they've shown so many signs of caring and wanting to fix the problem, but blatant incompetency continues to arise.

Comment

Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by burd View Post
      UND is considering adopting a policy barring them from playing schools whose fans abuse native americans. I think they should go a step further and stop playing teams whose fans aren't as sensitive to others as Sioux fans are, but then they would probably be left with only intrasquad games.

North Dakota Empaths would be a fitting name

I wasn't at the game, but I hear it was anybody's game until the refs swallowed their whistles. sigh.
      American International would fit these rules I would think.
      Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
      Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
      Originally posted by UWisco
      It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
        Yeah, they never show losses, only wins. But they do show wins in everything. At Saturday's football game, they showed a swimming meet score in addition to the team sports that won. They normally would show the hockey score, but I really don't get why something from Saturday wasn't shown on the following Tuesday.

Running that Big Ten Hockey promo at a football or basketball game would please me quite a bit.

Regarding those obvious shortcomings and people being paid to do things...I did try to get one of the athletic marketing internships for this year. My resume wasn't nearly good enough to have a chance, so I have to resort to sending in periodic messages when things p*** me off. I do everything I reasonably can to promote UW hockey, but it's nothing compared to what the athletic department itself could do...imagine that! I just find it so odd that they've shown so many signs of caring and wanting to fix the problem, but blatant incompetency continues to arise.
        People don't care if its rowing or football, if UW has won people will cheer. But it is an opportunity to also promote other UW sports, and sorry for rowing and swimming, but Men's hockey can actually MAKE UW money. I'm not even sure if it is making money now, but it can and that is wasted opportunity for Barry to stockpile some more cash to waste on his self promotion.
        Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
        Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
        Originally posted by UWisco
        It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

UND is considering adopting a policy barring them from playing schools whose fans abuse native americans. I think they should go a step further and stop playing teams whose fans aren't as sensitive to others as Sioux fans are, but then they would probably be left with only intrasquad games.

North Dakota Empaths would be a fitting name
          Good stuff burdy... Really makes a guy think... In fact, first chance I get I'm voting UND some sort of humanitarian award. I mean considering all this on top of Coach Hakstol spending all that time and scholarship money on his prison rehabilitation program -- you guys really deserve something.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I did try to get one of the athletic marketing internships for this year.
            What? Guys... how did we not make this happen for DC?

I'm for one am ashamed. Between all of us we must know somebody. Or somebody who knows somebody. I mean what good is posting on an internet hockey message board if you can't get your pals to pull a few strings once in awhile? Maybe grease a few palms...

Hand out cement shoes?

Besides this is exactly the kind of thing we need. We start DC out small... a little while later he get's Capobianco's job. (btw-Is that really a job?) Then before you know it, he's poised to take over the whole shootin' match! Our guy on the inside spending $250 million a year on hockey!

This is how it's done.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

The cluelessness of the athletic department continues to bewilder me. It's Tuesday, and the hockey teams played this past weekend. On the Badger Rewind at tonight's basketball game, they announced Badger volleyball and women's basketball scores, but did not show

#12 Wisconsin -- 3
              #8 Miami (OH) -- 2
              Are your bball fans really that clueless to think Florida has a hockey team? I can't really speak for our bball fans, the 50 of them are following all of our buy games to pay for the hockey teams trips out west now

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                Are your bball fans really that clueless to think Florida has a hockey team? I can't really speak for our bball fans, the 50 of them are following all of our buy games to pay for the hockey teams trips out west now
                I included (OH) for 2 reasons -- 1) It seems pretty standard, though I always say "Miami" in a hockey context or "Miami University" in any context instead of "Miami of Ohio." But mainly 2) It made my text align more nicely.
                Last edited by WiscDC; 11-20-2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

To be fair, there are 5 pro teams and 5 junior teams in Florida. Maybe it would just be easier on everyone if they moved the school south.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

I have some very important news - CHUCK-A-PUCK!

Edit: Also, did any of you win the sweepstakes?
                    Last edited by WiscDC; 11-21-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah baby, it's Friday!

Who's ready for some Badger hockey!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                        Yeah baby, it's Friday!

Who's ready for some Badger hockey!?!

Should be some great Badger Hockey tonight at the Prairie Palace.

Comment

Should be some great Badger Hockey tonight at the Prairie Palace.

I believe it's on TV too.

Comment

I believe it's on TV too.
                            It's funny, growing up the only college Hockey on TV to be had at my house was watching the Badger replay on WPT. Tonight I have my choice of watching the Goofs vs. Ugly Dogs or the Plains People vs. the Barky Dogs... I imagine there are people in the world that would call that progress.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              It's funny, growing up the only college Hockey on TV to be had at my house was watching the Badger replay on WPT. Tonight I have my choice of watching the Goofs vs. Ugly Dogs or the Plains People vs. the Barky Dogs... I imagine there are people in the world that would call that progress.

I was referring to the Badger women at North Dakota.

It's on FS-Wisconsin tonight.

Comment

I was referring to the Badger women at North Dakota.

It's on FS-Wisconsin tonight.

That there is some progress!

Sadly, I am in sunny Florida at the moment and my rabbit ears are not getting FS-Wisconsin, (Haven't tried stringing up the tinfoil yet, though.) thus my choices are limited to the aforementioned. I may watch the goofs to practice hating on them for next week. Can never be too prepared.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X