Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post

And Mersh always looks like he's pulling a sled out there. Dude is seriously slow.

Mersch is one of a few guys that actually looks faster with the puck than without it.

Doesn't bother me much though, he's in there to bang 'em in. I like his character and I expect him to respond well to this last weekend.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey Vol. XXVIII: This could be a banner year, but how would we know?

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
      I guess I fall more toward the solosvett and gurt side of the coin. I am so sick of mediocrity being acceptable. So many down seasons since the 2006 NC. I am sick and tired of it. Against the good teams we have played, we are 1-5. And half of those games we didn't come prepared to play. Where is the coaching staff and player leaders on this team? How can you not be ready to play on a veteran team?

Maybe I am overreacting and overly negative, but I continue to see red flags. Which says nothing for the cluster we will have next year unless we find some hidden gems in the next few months of recruiting.
      I don't think you're overreacting. I see the red flags too, we all have I think. It's the mediocrity that gnaws at me and an AD that doesn't seem to get it. I was thinking about this and realized - I think - that Gwozdecky is not coaching right now...maybe he's waiting in the weeds to see how this season goes at his alma mater. He would bring instant respect to the program.
      Go Badgers!

Comment

• Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
        I don't think you're overreacting. I see the red flags too, we all have I think. It's the mediocrity that gnaws at me and an AD that doesn't seem to get it. I was thinking about this and realized - I think - that Gwozdecky is not coaching right now...maybe he's waiting in the weeds to see how this season goes at his alma mater. He would bring instant respect to the program.
        He's an NHL asst. with Tampa

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
          One side note from the first big ten series is that I didn't think that the the officiating could get worse than the WCHA last year, but apparently I was wrong.
          I thought the same thing...when the phantom penalty phase began, I was sure I would see one of the Shepherd boys or their pet who always seems to work the same games...but then it was these newbies. And they were awful. Also, looked like Minnesota had been taking dive lessons from Robbie Earl
          Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
            He's an NHL asst. with Tampa
            Darn....thanks Chuck.
            Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by TUSCHWI View Post
              I don't think you're overreacting. I see the red flags too, we all have I think. It's the mediocrity that gnaws at me and an AD that doesn't seem to get it. .
              That's just it in a nutshell. Mediocrity. What's transpired is that from 1995 to 2013 you have mostly mediocrity and the few good seasons 99, 04-05, 05-06, 2010 are used as an excuse to maintain the status quo but the overall body of work leaves us with this and it's certainly not Eaves' fault Sauer fell on his face in recruiting but it is HIS job to right that ship.

It's tough to swallow that in 18 years there's been no consistency to UW hockey in terms of wins and losses and set against the backdrop of the foundation Bob Johnson built it's not excusable, it really isn't.

Jury is still out on this particular team and we'll see how they fair in the next 8, but I'll submit a lot of this discussion is also taking into account the potential excuse fest we'll see next year and the year following (until that changes I think we have a right to be skeptical).
              Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                That's just it in a nutshell. Mediocrity. What's transpired is that from 1995 to 2013 you have mostly mediocrity and the few good seasons 99, 04-05, 05-06, 2010 are used as an excuse to maintain the status quo but the overall body of work leaves us with this and it's certainly not Eaves' fault Sauer fell on his face in recruiting but it is HIS job to right that ship.

It's tough to swallow that in 18 years there's been no consistency to UW hockey in terms of wins and losses and set against the backdrop of the foundation Bob Johnson built it's not excusable, it really isn't.

Jury is still out on this particular team and we'll see how they fair in the next 8, but I'll submit a lot of this discussion is also taking into account the potential excuse fest we'll see next year and the year following (until that changes I think we have a right to be skeptical).
                In my opinoin, the excusefest only comes about if there is some sucess this season. While Eaves was never given a chance from day one by some who would have preferrred Mark Johnson were hired, even the most ardent Eaves backers are asking questions out loud at this point. With major attrition to season ticketholders, lack of success (and I mean top 2-3 in conference) or NCAA appearance (and some success there) may likely be the last straw with Eaves. I hope he has a wildly successful season and it culminates in a serious run at #7...but we shall see.

I don't know how much an assistant for an NHL team in Tampa makes, but I would suspect it is compareable in terms of salary to an elite D1 head job and there has to be some allure to being the head guy when you have been for as long as Gwoz was in Denver.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                  I don't know how much an assistant for an NHL team in Tampa makes, but I would suspect it is compareable in terms of salary to an elite D1 head job and there has to be some allure to being the head guy when you have been for as long as Gwoz was in Denver.
                  Doubt the money matters if it's close. All about career trajectory.

Comment

The fact alone that Gwoz is in the pros says a lot. Because if he wanted to be in the college game right now he could be. He could always pull a Blais in a couple of years I suppose, maybe even the same way with a new or building program, but as far as UW? That ship has sailed.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

8 additional Badger games to be on TV

DATE OPPONENT FS Wisconsin Announcers Wisconsin Channel Announcers WC Air Time
                      Dec. 6 Penn State Braun/Andringa Vogel/Vincent 10 p.m.
                      Dec. 7 Penn State Braun/Andringa Vogel/Perrin 10:30 p.m.
                      Dec. 27 UAH Braun/Cerniglia Vogel/Perrin 10 p.m.
                      Dec. 28 UAH Braun/Cerniglia Vogel/Perrin 10:30 p.m.
                      Jan. 3 Alaska Anchorage Braun/Andringa Vogel/Welsh TBA
                      Jan. 4 Alaska Anchorage Braun/Andringa Vogel/Welsh TBA
                      Jan. 11 Michigan Braun/Richter Vogel/Vincent TBA
                      Jan. 25 Ohio State Braun/Richter Vogel/Vincent TBA

Now about those banners....
                      Last edited by icebadger; 12-02-2013, 04:32 PM.
                      Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                      Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                      sigpic
                      Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                      1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

In my opinoin, the excusefest only comes about if there is some sucess this season. While Eaves was never given a chance from day one by some who would have preferrred Mark Johnson were hired, even the most ardent Eaves backers are asking questions out loud at this point. With major attrition to season ticketholders, lack of success (and I mean top 2-3 in conference) or NCAA appearance (and some success there) may likely be the last straw with Eaves. I hope he has a wildly successful season and it culminates in a serious run at #7...but we shall see.

Back in 02 I was on the Eaves bandwagon, and believe it or not I can be convinced to hop back on if he can shake the mediocrity between the once every 3 or 4 years great seasons (an oversimplification but not terribly far off) and start winning consistently

I also hope the team turns the corner and they can make a run at #7.

...One other aspect of their record I'm worried about: w/early season losses to good and great teams I'm not sure the team really *knows* they can travel to a BC or MN and win, they've got to actually start winning against some of these top 5 teams prior to the playoffs so they KNOW they can do it and play with confidence.
                        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                          The fact alone that Gwoz is in the pros says a lot. Because if he wanted to be in the college game right now he could be. He could always pull a Blais in a couple of years I suppose, maybe even the same way with a new or building program, but as far as UW? That ship has sailed.
                          Or could Gwoz be in the NHL because the Tampa gig was the quality opportunity that came up in hockey for him? It wasn't as if there was a ton of high end college jobs open last Summer. A guy like Gwoz wasn't taking just any college coaching gig...in fact there are probably a couple hand fulls that he might consider....and I would suspect UW would be one if it ever came open.

Comment

Or could Gwoz be in the NHL because the Tampa gig was the quality opportunity that came up in hockey for him? It wasn't as if there was a ton of high end college jobs open last Summer. A guy like Gwoz wasn't taking just any college coaching gig...in fact there are probably a couple hand fulls that he might consider....and I would suspect UW would be one if it ever came open.
                            Could be the Tampa gig comes with great weather!

For what it's worth my opinion is this: Gwoz is 60. If he had really wanted it, he probably could have stayed at DU longer, but he essentially ultimatum'd himself out of there. He's in the NHL now and I think at this point in his career he's going to angle for a top pro job one way or the other. The reason I say that you won't see him at UW is because essentially it's the same old, same old. At least close enough. He doesn't have to coach. A guy reaches a certain age/point in his career where he realizes it's not going on forever and has to decide what he wants to spend his time on. Maybe he'd get excited if another B1G school opened up a program or something like that... Something new or different in the college game... But why come into the pressure cooker of an established program when you left a similar situation that for whatever reason you decided you weren't that fired up about doing anymore? I just don't foresee any circumstance that would put him in Wisconsin. (Unless he retires and wants to volunteer!)

I'd like to see him get a shot in the NHL in the next couple of years... I think he'd do well.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              Could be the Tampa gig comes with great weather!
                              But...snow! And pond hockey!

Comment

Gwoz was fired in part because he expected a contract extension and was unhappy one was not able to be negotiated &/or ruffled some feathers in that process (which is hardly the stuff he want's to retire from the grind to a beach...hell, pro hockey is probably more exhaustive then college where there are limitations on how much you can work with the athletes each week and how much they have to be students) and because despite virtually always winning 20 plus games...he was getting bounced from the tourney quick in the end.

Gwoz would be an excellent candidate if Eaves were to get bounced. His DU program was the antithesis of the biggest complaint about Eaves (well 2nd biggest after the dreaded "style of play") namely inconcistancy. Gwoz winning 20 games a season was an annual ritual his last dozen years.

Comment

Working...
                                X