PDA

View Full Version : WCHA: Let's talk Hockey!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Freddie
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Whereas the "other" WCHA thread only seems interested in: griping about travel, griping about people griping about travel, new-realignment rumors and the price/quality/value of media coverage...I'm starting a new thread to focus on...guess what...HOCKEY!

Freddie
11-12-2013, 04:03 PM
I know it is awfully early, but this weekend's BG-Ferris series is looking HUGE. A sweep either way could really put the 'sweeper' firmly in the driver's seat, and rock the 'sweepee' back on their heels.

Shirtless Guy
11-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I know it is awfully early, but this weekend's BG-Ferris series is looking HUGE. A sweep either way could really put the 'sweeper' firmly in the driver's seat, and rock the 'sweepee' back on their heels.I see what you're saying but I think it's way to early to say that when 2 of the teams have only played 2 games and play each other this weekend. If either of them sweeps the other, they will be right where BGSU is right now with games in hand on FSU or BGSU. That and the fact that 2 of those wins were against UAH, I wouldn't put much in the "driver seat" its going to be hard to beat most of the WCHA in their home building, winning this conference might just come down to the schedule balance of who gets to play UAH 4 times (sorry to say it GFM).

Since I mentioned the schedule, seems kind of odd that one of the teams that started WCHA earlier than 6 of the teams has only played 2 games while others have played 6?

purpleinnebraska
11-12-2013, 04:24 PM
I know it is awfully early, but this weekend's BG-Ferris series is looking HUGE. A sweep either way could really put the 'sweeper' firmly in the driver's seat, and rock the 'sweepee' back on their heels.

Not so fast. I'm not trying to be unkind to a couple of our conference brethren, but a lot of the conference standings all year will hinge on "Have you played Huntsville or UAA lately?" There have been 10 series so far in the WCHA. In those 10, there were 5 sweeps, 4 of which involved UAH, UAA, or both. There have been 5 series that involved neither team. 4 of those were splits, the one exception being BSU-FSU, and that was FSU at home. The point being, I think we're going to need to see a lot more matchups before anybody looks like a "driver's seat" team.

purpleinnebraska
11-12-2013, 04:25 PM
Note to self: Shirtless Guy is a quicker thinker than me, by approximately 11 minutes.

beaverhockeyfan
11-12-2013, 04:32 PM
I like what I have seen out of BSU's underclassmen! This is going to be a fun ride, league wide!

Jimjamesak
11-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Not so fast. I'm not trying to be unkind to a couple of our conference brethren, but a lot of the conference standings all year will hinge on "Have you played Huntsville or UAA lately?" There have been 10 series so far in the WCHA. In those 10, there were 5 sweeps, 4 of which involved UAH, UAA, or both. There have been 5 series that involved neither team. 4 of those were splits, the one exception being BSU-FSU, and that was FSU at home. The point being, I think we're going to need to see a lot more matchups before anybody looks like a "driver's seat" team.
I think UAA isn't as bad you think they are. As last weekend showed, there's a big gap between UAA and Huntsville.

bigblue_dl
11-12-2013, 06:10 PM
We don't need 2 threads. These topics belong in the existing WCHA thread.

Seawolf Fan
11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
Wow! not sure who died and appointed you king???
This thread in a few posts has talked more hockey than the other one has in several hundred.
Let's keep the talk on this thread about hockey...............
Yeah I also think it's a bit early to say any team is in the catbird seat.
Every matchup every weekend has 4 points for the taking.
I also like that some folks think UAA is going to be a sure 4 point weekend.
Overconfidence has been the undoing of more than one team.

purpleinnebraska
11-12-2013, 06:38 PM
I think UAA isn't as bad you think they are. As last weekend showed, there's a big gap between UAA and Huntsville.

I don't doubt that they're better than last year. But there's a big gap between "better than last year" and "will finish in the top half of the conference."

BG_Falcons
11-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Carpenter is back for BG this weekend, so that should be fun.

Freddie
11-12-2013, 06:52 PM

Nobody dragged you here against your will.
If the 'other' thread EVER spent ANY time talking about Anything even REMOTELY related to hockey, we'd have stayed there.

Freddie
11-12-2013, 07:05 PM
I agree that its early, but I stand by my thought that this week's Ferris-BG series is huge.

Most everybody expected Ferris to be a contender, and they have not yet done anything to dispel that idea. Most pre-season predictions had BG 'in the mix' for home ice, but I don't think anybody (outside of BG) thought they'd be more than that.

Many current WCHA fans might not realize the extent of the history these programs have from their CCHA days. These teams really don't like each other.

I wish I could be there in person:(

Jimjamesak
11-12-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't doubt that they're better than last year. But there's a big gap between "better than last year" and "will finish in the top half of the conference."
Not as much as you think. I think some people are selling UAA short. As far as I can see the only gap right now is between Huntsville and the rest, everything else in this conference is up in the air.

gfmorris
11-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Don't worry, if y'all had been nice and not brought up the gap, I would have brought up the gap. 1.0 G/GM won't cut it.

GFM

Freddie
11-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Don't worry, if y'all had been nice and not brought up the gap, I would have brought up the gap. 1.0 G/GM won't cut it.

GFM

Considering how close to death you guys were, its not surprising you're struggling. I mean no disrespect, we went thru VERY similar stuff at BG. Stay the course, keep the faith.

FadeToBlack&Gold
11-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Anyone overlooking UAA is in for a nasty surprise. Tech found that out during last year's Winter Carnival series, and that was under Dave Shyiak.

Twitch Boy
11-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Anyone overlooking UAA is in for a nasty surprise. Tech found that out during last year's Winter Carnival series, and that was under Dave Shyiak.

Can confirm. Wins over the Q and Denver are nothing to sneeze at. UAA looks downright scary at times. Their power play especially is improved (though most of that came against Huntsville.) They're also quite fond of hitting the warp drive in the third period. No lead is safe.

Wi.Huskies Fan
11-12-2013, 08:27 PM

I agree. I was at that game. You could hear a pin drop walking out of there.
No win is a guarantee in the WCHA. UAH is going to surprise somebody this year.

FadeToBlack&Gold
11-12-2013, 08:31 PM
I agree. I was at that game. You could hear a pin drop walking out of there.
No win is a guarantee in the WCHA. UAH is going to surprise somebody this year.

I just hope that we learned our lesson last season at home, going into the Sully in two weeks.