PDA

View Full Version : National D-III Pick 'Em Challenge: Week 3

Pages : [1] 2

Ozz
11-11-2013, 10:14 AM
The D-III Pick 'Em Challenge is different than most of the Pick 'Em games played on these boards because not only do you have to pick winners for each game, but you need to decide how confident you are in each pick. Each week, I will choose any five games that are being played in D-III and your job is to pick the winner of each game and then rank them one through five based upon how confident you are in each pick. The game you feel most confident about will be worth 5 points and the game you feel least confident about will be worth 1 point. You do not need to predict the score of the game, simply pick the winner and assign it a point value one through five. Also, you must use each point value one through five. Also, there is will be a BONUS Question each worth 1 additional point! Questions? Ask away!

Past Champions
2012: NorthernLite
2013: 97osu

Past Runner Ups
2012: Captain Obvious
2013: Ozz

Week Three
Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)
Castleton @ New England College (November 16)
Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)

BONUS
True or False? Plattsburgh will score 3 or more Power Play Goals this weekend (@ Buff State & @ Fredonia)

Ozz
11-11-2013, 10:14 AM
After a feast of Week 1 games, the scores for Week 2 fell quite a bit. The biggest reason was the Hobart win over Utica. Those who navigated the treacherous waters the best were Raidineer, cosmo46, & NUProf as they each scores 10 points for the week to lead the pack. This puts them near the top of the leaderboard after only two weeks of play. I find satisfaction in picking difficult games and low scores makes me a smile (that sounds evil). Each week I will also put up the average scores so that you can see just how you fared against the others.

Week 2 Stats
Total Number of Participants: 24
Highest Score: 10
Lowest Score:2
Average Score: 6.125

Standings after Week 2..

Total Points (Week 2 Points) - Name

22 (9) - PburgHockey
22 (10) - Raidineer
21 (9) - 97osu
21 (10) - cosmo46
20 (10) - NUProf
20 (7) - UCBadger
20 (5) - norm1909
20 (7) - oldguard
19 (6) - LakerFan11
19 (6) - NEHockeyFan07
19 (8) - CardFan
18 (3) - StoutHockeyFan44
18 (6) - jcase
18 (9) - Ozz
17 (6) - Birdwatcher
17 (6) - jabber811
16 (6) - OSU2010
16 (2) - kimmerdog
15 (4) - Cadet Color Man
15 (4) - NorthernLite
14 (3) - Captain Obvious
12 (3) - hawk
12 (5) - CARDS_rule_the_Burgh
9 (n/a) - DanyDOSU2015
5 (3) - Oldtimehockey

NorthernLite
11-11-2013, 10:39 AM
Week Three
3) Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)
1) Castleton @ New England College (November 16)
2) Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
5) Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
4) Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)

BONUS
True or False? Plattsburgh will score 3 or more Power Play Goals this weekend (@ Buff State & @ Fredonia)

Cadet Color Man
11-11-2013, 10:55 AM
Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16) 3 points
Castleton @ New England College (November 16) 1 point
Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15) 2 points
Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15) 4 points
Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15) 5 points
BONUS
True

hawk
11-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Week Three
3) Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)
1) Castleton @New England College (November 16)
2) Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
5) Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
4) Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)

BONUS

Captain Obvious
11-11-2013, 12:05 PM

BONUS

Ozz
11-11-2013, 01:26 PM

BONUS

Don't forget to assign point values...

Ozz
11-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Standings have been updated in the 2nd post of this thread...

CardFan
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Week Three
3-Bowdoin @ Middlebury
2-Castleton @ New England College
5-Morrisville @ Cortland
1-Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg
4-Geneseo @ Hobart

BONUS
True

97osu
11-12-2013, 11:40 AM
Week Three
5 Pts = Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)
4 Pts = Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
3 Pts = Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
2 Pts = Castleton @ New England College (November 16)
1 Pts = Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)

Bonus = True

oldguard
11-12-2013, 01:05 PM
Week Three
5 Geneseo @ Hobart
4 Morrisville @ Cortland
3 Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg
2 Castleton @ New England College
1 Bowdoin @ Middlebury

FALSE

NEHockeyFan07
11-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Week Three
4. Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)
1. Castleton @ New England College (November 16)
3. Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
2. Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
5. Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)

BONUS

NUProf
11-12-2013, 01:31 PM
After a feast of Week 1 games, the scores for Week 2 fell quite a bit. The biggest reason was the Hobart win over Utica. Those who navigated the treacherous waters the best were Raidineer, cosmo46, & NUProf as they each scores 10 points for the week to lead the pack. This puts them near the top of the leaderboard after only two weeks of play. I find satisfaction in picking difficult games and low scores makes me a smile (that sounds evil). Each week I will also put up the average scores so that you can see just how you fared against the others.

To humor an old academic type, could you call this the mean (or arithmetic mean if you want to be real formal). The mean is one average, there are others measures that are also averages , such as the median. (An average is any measure of central tendency for a data set. Many people mistakenly use mean and average interchangeably)

Also, just for grins, could you report the sample standard deviation? (the one in which you divide by n-1)? Excel can do it for you. If so, we (or I to be more precise, because I'm probably the only one who cares) can estimate our percentile ranks from the Empirical rule. :D The bigger your sample standard deviation, the eviler you have been, too.

97osu
11-12-2013, 03:06 PM
To humor an old academic type, could you call this the mean (or arithmetic mean if you want to be real formal). The mean is one average, there are others measures that are also averages , such as the median. (An average is any measure of central tendency for a data set. Many people mistakenly use mean and average interchangeably)

Also, just for grins, could you report the sample standard deviation? (the one in which you divide by n-1)? Excel can do it for you. If so, we (or I to be more precise, because I'm probably the only one who cares) can estimate our percentile ranks from the Empirical rule. :D The bigger your sample standard deviation, the eviler you have been, too.

I have used mean and average interchangeably whenever the chance has presented itself. I will not be mistaken any longer. Thanks Doc;)

LakerFan11
11-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Week Three
5-Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)
3-Castleton @ New England College (November 16)
1-Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
4-Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
2-Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)

BONUS

Ozz
11-12-2013, 08:01 PM

Prof, you forgot two things...

1. I graduated from the best University in the country with a Math Ed. degree (But I certainly not profess to a better understanding of math than you)
2. I did this last year Here for example (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?102909-National-D-III-Pick-Em-Challenge-Week-14&p=5601148&viewfull=1#post5601148)

I will begin to calculate the MEAN, MEDIAN, and the STANDARD DEVIATION....but I refuse to calculate the MODE!

NUProf
11-12-2013, 09:00 PM
Prof, you forgot two things...

1. I graduated from the best University in the country with a Math Ed. degree (But I certainly not profess to a better understanding of math than you)
2. I did this last year Here for example (http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?102909-National-D-III-Pick-Em-Challenge-Week-14&p=5601148&viewfull=1#post5601148)

I will begin to calculate the MEAN, MEDIAN, and the STANDARD DEVIATION....but I refuse to calculate the MODE!

The mode is silly for quantitative data, and I used to teach out of textbook that advocated the use of the midrange as an average. I do remember the degree, which is cool, but I think my University (actually it is legally a College by virtue of a famous Supreme Court decision) will top yours :D

:D :D (All in fun I hope you know)

Meanwhile the Avs are looking horrible against Carolina as I type this :(

jabber811
11-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Week Three

4 POINTS - Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)
3 POINTS - Castleton @ New England College (November 16)
2 POINTS - Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
1 POINT - Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
5 POINTS - Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)

BONUS
True or False? Plattsburgh will score 3 or more Power Play Goals this weekend (@ Buff State & @ Fredonia) - TRUE

StoutHockeyFan44
11-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16) Bowdoin 2
Castleton @ New England College (November 16) Castleton 1
Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15) Cortland 4
Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15) Stout 3
Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15) Hobart 5

BONUS
True or False? Plattsburgh will score 3 or more Power Play Goals this weekend (@ Buff State & @ Fredonia) - TRUE

kimmerdog
11-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Week Three

4 Pts = Geneseo @ Hobart (November 15)
5 Pts = Morrisville @ Cortland (November 15)
3 Pts = Wisconsin-Stout @ Augsburg (November 15)
2 Pts = Castleton @ New England College (November 16)
1 Pts = Bowdoin @ Middlebury (November 16)

Bonus = True