Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU @ MTU: Spartans travel to Houghton, return home defeated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSU @ MTU: Spartans travel to Houghton, return home defeated?

Michigan Tech hosts Michigan State for the first time since they left the CCHA (probably?). Michigan Tech has played mostly close games with 4 of its 6 losses being in 1-goal games. Their only win was at home. Hopefully home is a happy place and they can take it to the .500 Spartans.

Thoughts?
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Re: MSU @ MTU: Spartans travel to Houghton, return home defeated?

1. Hoping the weather in the visitors' section isn't different than for the partisans.
    2. Hoping don't need to feed Valium to my co-pilot going over the Bridge.
    3. Hoping the bad luck continues for the home team - at least for one game. Perhaps this is a case of catching a team when it's down.

If you believe Mel Pearson, they're real close to turning it around.

As for tSpartans, several freshmen look like goal-scorers, but the captain is playing like a captain. However ... get them on the road and we'll see if the trend continues.

Comment

Tech hockey: Undefeated at home.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Tom Anastos: s.hitty coach or turrible comissioner?
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

If Tech gets the powerplay going, and gets good goaltending out of either Copley or Phillips, it ought to be a long weekend for Sparty.

Otherwise, flip a coin.

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            You spelled "and" wrong.
            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
              I'd swear you're warming to him.

Comment

Pietila, Petan and Johnstone need to start scoring their usual points per game. Nothing against Heitala and Neville, but the fact that they are leading the team seems to me caused mostly by the scoring void left by the regular leaders. Tech's strength this season is its offense. In order to live up to the pre-season prediction of 3rd place, our offensive machine needs to get going and soon. Whether we sweep this w/e or not, we'd better put in more than 1 or 2 goals per game.

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                  You spelled "and" wrong.
                  It appears I did
                  Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                  I'd swear you're warming to him.
                  Yeah poor guy has to coach at State.
                  tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Mentally cutting and pasting from the other thread, I think this is a critical series for MSU. The last time MSU played an unheralded team on the road, it was a train wreck. Simply put, MSU is a very young team needs to learn how to play on the road without getting boatraced, especially in the second period.

I think, when you compare Massachusetts and Tech, the talent level is about the same. But I have a feeling, given the 30-year hiatus, Tech's building will be much nastier.

It'll be a test that'll set the tone for the rest of the season. If MSU leaves with a split, I think there's a chance MSU can put together a respectable season. If MSU gets swept, though, we're probably looking at 20 or more losses again.

Also, tossing aside whatever the final scores will be this weekend, I hope this team can find some sort of discipline and not take absurdly boneheaded penalties.
                    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Michigan Tech hosts Michigan State for the first time since they left the CCHA (probably?).
                      IIRC, 1984 was the last time MSU played at Tech. I'm at work, so I don't have a media guide in front of me.

Regardless, I wasn't alive the last time MSU trekked to Houghton.
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        IIRC, 1984 was the last time MSU played at Tech. I'm at work, so I don't have a media guide in front of me.
                        Regardless, I wasn't alive the last time MSU trekked to Houghton.
                        Infant.

Didn't a State player climb the glass or something to tussle with an MTU fan at that time? Or am I just repeating a myth?

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                          Infant.

Didn't a State player climb the glass or something to tussle with an MTU fan at that time? Or am I just repeating a myth?
                          The story I've heard was that MSU was up for Winter Carnival one year, and after the buzzer sounded on Saturday, with Tech having swept the series, the MSU goalie took off his glove and blocker after the handshake line was over, and gave the rowdy crowd a two-finger salute as he left the ice. Probably exaggerated - I could see flipping the bird at a particularly annoying fan in the tunnel, and the story snowballing over the years from there.

Comment

I was there as, after the first period, he skated the entire length of the ice with the bird flying. then back. Also with the bird flying. This was in the snake pit however. I believe there was also a time when the two goalies met at center ice during a brawl and went at it.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              The story I've heard was that MSU was up for Winter Carnival one year, and after the buzzer sounded on Saturday, with Tech having swept the series, the MSU goalie took off his glove and blocker after the handshake line was over, and gave the rowdy crowd a two-finger salute as he left the ice. Probably exaggerated - I could see flipping the bird at a particularly annoying fan in the tunnel, and the story snowballing over the years from there.
                              What's a goalie to do? I suppose the alternative is to score one for the opposition and wave adieu to the coach.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFCdXDAA3-U

Comment

Working...
                              X