PDA

View Full Version : UNO vs NODAK. The Sioux and their fans are looking for redemption

Pages : [1] 2

MAVFANJEFF
11-04-2013, 02:08 PM
and Archie has a bullseye painted on his back. Enjoy your stay folks.

Dirty
11-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I wish Archibald had Rex or at least Hamm painted on his back. They were way cooler Toy Story characters than Bullseye.

Red Cows
11-05-2013, 12:08 AM
I have no idea what this weekend might hold. I can envision almost anything happening after what both these teams did last weekend. I note that ticket sales for Saturday night, in particular, are pretty good. UNO, historically, does not draw real well before the holidays. One night per season I offer to "foot the bill" for anybody that I know--friends, acquaintances, customers--that would like to go to a UNO hockey game and this Saturday night is the night this season that I have extended that offer. I, for one, very much appreciate the fact that the Fighting Whioux will now be visiting us every year. The only team that is on the same radar screen with North Dakota around here is Michigan, and, looky here, they are coming the weekend after UND is here (followed by Miami the weekend after that). Win or lose, it's gonna be a fun next three weekends.

FWIW, North Dakota fan, the best UNO game I have ever attended, in terms of atmosphere and meaning (a relative term in this case) was the very first game that North Dakota and UNO ever played against one another on 11-19-10, a game that UNO lost. This was the biggest crowd in school history (11,181) for a game that wasn't "promoted", somehow, and featured the biggest student turnout I have ever seen, before or since, and is one of the few times in program history I was actually proud of our fans on the level I was that night. At the time it was played, it was the 2nd largest crowd in school history, overall. It is now somewhat farther down that list.

UNO's weekend in Denver was so much the antithesis of the season so far for them to that point that I don't have a good grasp on where they really are. I can say this, every time we have played North Dakota, the players have spoken of feeling very strongly about playing well "for Coach Blais" (every occurrence of which has occurred during his tenure) specifically because of his history there. So, I think the effort will be there. The results? Anybody's guess.

Slap Shot
11-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Is it possible to look for something most of them can't even spell?

Dirty
11-05-2013, 05:53 PM

Shouldn't you be causing SCSU fans to get their shorts in a know in their thread? Departing from this weeks' Minnesota Fan Manifesto might get you reprimanded.

MAVFANJEFF
11-07-2013, 03:08 PM
I wish Archibald had Rex or at least Hamm painted on his back. They were way cooler Toy Story characters than Bullseye.

LOL good one. Actually if The Sioux's coaches were paying attention they'd know to send their boys on the ice with the intention of getting under the skin of Brock Montpenalty. Hope to see a big crowd.

MAVFANJEFF
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM

That's what spell checker is for.

MAVFANJEFF
11-07-2013, 03:09 PM

That's what spell checker is for.

Tipsy McStagger
11-07-2013, 04:30 PM
*tumbleweed blows through thread

firstpusk
11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
http://gifeye.com/3484

MAVFANJEFF
11-07-2013, 05:25 PM
*tumbleweed blows through thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXiifFBHj5g

Slap Shot
11-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Shouldn't you be causing SCSU fans to get their shorts in a know in their thread?.

Unfunny Nation needs no help in that department.

Tipsy McStagger
11-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Big test for UNO. Got a nice road sweep against DU, but both wins were in OT and Denver looks a little suspect. I think the keys will be UNO's goaltending (which isn't a good sign for the Red Mavs) and can UNO stay out of the penalty box (also not promising). UNO has given up an astonishing 18 PPG's. Holy Jesus! I know they stunk on the penalty kill last year, but this is funk... on a whole new level.

Goon
11-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I have no idea what this weekend might hold. I can envision almost anything happening after what both these teams did last weekend. I note that ticket sales for Saturday night, in particular, are pretty good. UNO, historically, does not draw real well before the holidays. One night per season I offer to "foot the bill" for anybody that I know--friends, acquaintances, customers--that would like to go to a UNO hockey game and this Saturday night is the night this season that I have extended that offer. I, for one, very much appreciate the fact that the Fighting Whioux will now be visiting us every year. The only team that is on the same radar screen with North Dakota around here is Michigan, and, looky here, they are coming the weekend after UND is here (followed by Miami the weekend after that). Win or lose, it's gonna be a fun next three weekends.

FWIW, North Dakota fan, the best UNO game I have ever attended, in terms of atmosphere and meaning (a relative term in this case) was the very first game that North Dakota and UNO ever played against one another on 11-19-10, a game that UNO lost. This was the biggest crowd in school history (11,181) for a game that wasn't "promoted", somehow, and featured the biggest student turnout I have ever seen, before or since, and is one of the few times in program history I was actually proud of our fans on the level I was that night. At the time it was played, it was the 2nd largest crowd in school history, overall. It is now somewhat farther down that list.

UNO's weekend in Denver was so much the antithesis of the season so far for them to that point that I don't have a good grasp on where they really are. I can say this, every time we have played North Dakota, the players have spoken of feeling very strongly about playing well "for Coach Blais" (every occurrence of which has occurred during his tenure) specifically because of his history there. So, I think the effort will be there. The results? Anybody's guess.
My question is, are there any bridges in Omaha? Hopefully not, if this series goes bad for either fan base there won't mass bridge jumping come Sunday evening. :)

darker98
11-08-2013, 02:18 PM
http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=95373
This is not a good start.

Goon
11-08-2013, 02:37 PM
http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=95373
This is not a good start.

Ouch, but the coach will not allow them to use this as an excuse.

Red Cows
11-09-2013, 10:04 AM
My question is, are there any bridges in Omaha? Hopefully not, if this series goes bad for either fan base there won't mass bridge jumping come Sunday evening. :)

LOL

The Bob Kerrey pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River is right next to the arena.

Red Cows
11-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Big test for UNO. Got a nice road sweep against DU, but both wins were in OT and Denver looks a little suspect. I think the keys will be UNO's goaltending (which isn't a good sign for the Red Mavs) and can UNO stay out of the penalty box (also not promising). UNO has given up an astonishing 18 PPG's. Holy Jesus! I know they stunk on the penalty kill last year, but this is funk... on a whole new level.

UNO has outscored every opponent they've played when skating at even strength this year, and, when they aren't...........

Goon
11-09-2013, 01:34 PM
I think it should be a rough series.

Red Cows
11-10-2013, 12:15 AM
UNO wins the first and third periods. Problem for North Dakota is that they only got two goals in the second and UNO got four total in the first and third.

And, I really though that UNO was outplayed by UND for only the 2nd half or so of the 2nd period tonight.

UNO really dominated the first period of this game.

Right now, this does not look like a vintage North Dakota team to me.

Denver head coach Jim Montgomery said after our sweep out there last weekend that his team really had a tough time with UNO's team speed and I thought that was definitely a theme out there tonight as well.

All of a sudden, too, Ryan Massa seems to have turned into an actual goaltender.

I think this was the worst effort I've seen by North Dakota in this series very short history. When UNO beat UND 8-4 in their first ever game at the Ralph, that game was all about UNO basically playing the entire 2nd period of that game on the power play and getting five power play goals in that period. Dunno if UNO would have won that game, otherwise. Even when UND tied the game tonight, I never really felt very "threatened" by them, watching this game.

I have to think UND comes out with their hair on fire tomorrow afternoon. They don't want to dig themselves any deeper a hole than the one they've already started on. In this conference, losing streaks will bury you.

I'll be interested to see how many green jerseys that are still in town tomorrow afternoon, too.

North Dakota fan, after watching UNO for the first 6 games of the season, you have no idea how shocking the last 3 games have been, because they have been the polar opposite of those first 6 games. Its been like watching a totally different team.