Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO vs NODAK. The Sioux and their fans are looking for redemption

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
    Ouch, but the coach will not allow them to use this as an excuse.
    Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
    Eric's Twitter
    The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
      My question is, are there any bridges in Omaha? Hopefully not, if this series goes bad for either fan base there won't mass bridge jumping come Sunday evening.
      LOL

The Bob Kerrey pedestrian bridge across the Missouri River is right next to the arena.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Big test for UNO. Got a nice road sweep against DU, but both wins were in OT and Denver looks a little suspect. I think the keys will be UNO's goaltending (which isn't a good sign for the Red Mavs) and can UNO stay out of the penalty box (also not promising). UNO has given up an astonishing 18 PPG's. Holy Jesus! I know they stunk on the penalty kill last year, but this is funk... on a whole new level.
        UNO has outscored every opponent they've played when skating at even strength this year, and, when they aren't...........

Comment

I think it should be a rough series.
          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
          Eric's Twitter
          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

UNO wins the first and third periods. Problem for North Dakota is that they only got two goals in the second and UNO got four total in the first and third.

And, I really though that UNO was outplayed by UND for only the 2nd half or so of the 2nd period tonight.

UNO really dominated the first period of this game.

Right now, this does not look like a vintage North Dakota team to me.

Denver head coach Jim Montgomery said after our sweep out there last weekend that his team really had a tough time with UNO's team speed and I thought that was definitely a theme out there tonight as well.

All of a sudden, too, Ryan Massa seems to have turned into an actual goaltender.

I think this was the worst effort I've seen by North Dakota in this series very short history. When UNO beat UND 8-4 in their first ever game at the Ralph, that game was all about UNO basically playing the entire 2nd period of that game on the power play and getting five power play goals in that period. Dunno if UNO would have won that game, otherwise. Even when UND tied the game tonight, I never really felt very "threatened" by them, watching this game.

I have to think UND comes out with their hair on fire tomorrow afternoon. They don't want to dig themselves any deeper a hole than the one they've already started on. In this conference, losing streaks will bury you.

I'll be interested to see how many green jerseys that are still in town tomorrow afternoon, too.

North Dakota fan, after watching UNO for the first 6 games of the season, you have no idea how shocking the last 3 games have been, because they have been the polar opposite of those first 6 games. Its been like watching a totally different team.
            Last edited by Red Cows; 11-10-2013, 12:22 AM.

Comment

UND might have a few kinks to work out but when they do I'd hate to be their opponent. Fun series to watch. Have a safe drive home Sioux.
              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

UNO did not deserve to win this game.

Let's start with Coach Blais' bizarre goaltender choice for this matinee. Ryan Massa, last night, had what was easily his finest game as a collegian, by far, and his reward for this stellar performance and being one of the three stars of the game? A seat on the bench! Instead, Coach Blais puts true freshman Kirk Thompson out there, who has a junior's resume' that makes one wonder why he was offered a scholarship in the first place, and he promptly scores on himself early in the first and then gives up another equally ridiculous and embarrassing goal at the 6:11 mark of the 2nd period that gets him immediately jerked from the game (Coach Blais could not get him off the ice fast enough) all the while being quite correctly yelled at by our gap-toothed leader as he was making his way to, and, collecting himself on the spot on the bench that he had just earned himself.

So, UNO spotted UND a couple goals that a competent netminder would never have given up in this game. It's really hard to win a game when you are giving aid and comfort to the enemy.

Throw in UNO's total waste of nearly 4 minutes of of 5 on 3 skating in the last 10 minutes of the game, where, not only was UNO never in any danger of scoring, they didn't even really look like they even had a 2 man advantage, or, were even on the power play, and you have a team that pretty much itself shot itself in the foot this evening. I mean, skating 5 on 3 we had a hard time even keeping the puck out of our own end! It was some of the most totally blithering power play(s) that you'll ever see.

On the plus side, the entire weekend (and I know UND was a bit shorthanded) they never looked like they could really skate with us. Kudos to them for exploiting what we utterly gave them and beating us as a result tonight. We got what we deserved. Good teams take what they are given when the door is open even so much as a crack and that is precisely what UND did to UNO today. They said "Thank you very much" and took what was literally handed to them and made hay.

This was a bit of a reversion to prior form for UNO tonight and this is a loss that may haunt them down the road, somewhere, because, this was a game UNO should have won.

I suspect that the next time we play UND they will play a lot better than they did this weekend. It appears that they have some growing pains going on with them, much like we obviously do.

The third period tonight was on the wilder periods of hockey I have seen in a quite while, FWIW. Win or lose, it was very entertaining.

Next up for UNO, the Weasels, at home, who we've not played since the officials screwed us in overtime of our NCAA regional game with them two seasons ago in St Louis. The seniors on our team all played in that game and I hope they all remember it, well.
                Last edited by Red Cows; 11-11-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

There was no doubt who was the better team on the ice this weekend. That being said, UND put forth a much better effort tonight and was about to squeak out the win.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                    Next up for UNO, the Weasels, at home, who we've not played since the officials screwed us in overtime of our NCAA regional game with them two seasons ago in St Louis. The seniors on our team all played in that game and I hope they all remember it, well.
                    Still in denial, eh? It's one thing to have a game winning regional tourney goal waived off for a questionable whistle (cough, Miami in Ft. Wayne, cough) vs. having the puck actually go in the net (and it did based on sound mathematical principles) without said inadvertent whistle. Get over it, UNO had enough chances to win that game.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                      Still in denial, eh? It's one thing to have a game winning regional tourney goal waived off for a questionable whistle (cough, Miami in Ft. Wayne, cough) vs. having the puck actually go in the net (and it did based on sound mathematical principles) without said inadvertent whistle. Get over it, UNO had enough chances to win that game.
                      I know it's water under the bridge but I still like having some fun with it although it still frosts me. If it takes 15 minutes to overturn the call on the ice (no goal) then you have to be LOOKING for a reason to do so.

I toyed with the idea of starting a discussion thread for this weekend for the series entitled "Michigan at UNO, 11-15 & 11-16---It still isn't a goal" but I figured that I'd just heap abuse on myself, no matter how deliciously funny I might find the idea to be.

The tragic part of the whole thing is that was the best team UNO has ever had (IMHO) and based on subsequent events it isn't implausible that we'd have ended up in the title game instead of Michigan, and that's what hurts, particularly at a program like ours where success has been somewhat, shall we say, fleeting?

By the way, we miss playing Michigan every year around here. A pretty good case can been be made that UNO fan hates your guts more than that of any other other team. (with apologies to Bowling Green)

It's the "other" Nebraska team's turn to punk Michigan this weekend! (We hope). I feel it my duty to remind you that brooms went out on the ice the last time you were here. Methinks this is a tad bit better Michigan team than that one was, however, and which team of ours shows up this weekend is anybody's guess.

Comment

Does it bother UNO fans that lots of people wear Huskers stuff instead of UNO stuff to hockey games? Not a single UNO fan by me was wearing Mav stuff. I guess it just means you can tell who the diehards are from the casual fans.

Just a question. Maybe you guys are used to it and both schools do wear the same colors.

Comment

Originally posted by sfo19 View Post
                          Does it bother UNO fans that lots of people wear Huskers stuff instead of UNO stuff to hockey games? Not a single UNO fan by me was wearing Mav stuff. I guess it just means you can tell who the diehards are from the casual fans.

Just a question. Maybe you guys are used to it and both schools do wear the same colors.
                          Whatever school you support, if you live in Nebraska, you own Husker stuff. It's like SCSU fans and camo.

Comment

Red Cows.... I was just having fun, also. Most Michigan fans that I know respect your program. I had a good relationship with several of your fans. I was at the Joe when they beat Michigan in the CCHA semi's (and lost to MSU-2000?) They have had some really good teams under Kemp and now under Blais. And yes, that team a few years back was really good. No telling what would have happened against CC if they would have moved on. We called it the WCHA gauntlet which we passed... until the Championship game... and OT at that.

I also know that the hatred is a bit one sided, like the overall W-L record against Michigan. It is that ugly underbelly that has been nothing more than a mere annoyance (and a source of embarrassment for some of the Red Army faithful who take it a bit too far) when we do meet on the ice. Maybe the program will find better success in the NCHC, being the third conference affiliation since the inception to D1 hockey in 1997-98. One thing is for sure, the excuses are running thin... can't blame a biased CCHA; can't blame a bias set of officials; can't blame no TV contract or media coverage, and can't blame our program that has been accused of "cheating" "gooning" and having "horrible fans".

And, as much as Michigan fans and our own Seniors remember that regional game in 2011,where UNO had a 2-0 lead at one time, not many remember the St. Valentines weekend Massacre in 2010. It was your send off to the WCHA and a well deserved sweep.

Let's not mix in that other sport, though, considering that school in Lincoln is not of the same affiliation as yours... and will be entertaining that school from north of us in East Lansing this weekend. As far as I am concerned, a meteorite could fall on the stadium and it wouldn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                              Whatever school you support, if you live in Nebraska, you own Husker stuff. It's like SCSU fans and camo.
                              I get that.

I'm just saying if a UNO fan is going to try to chirp me at your arena, if you're wearing a Husker shirt at a UNO game... It's just too easy.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                                I don't. Never have probably never will. Never gave 2 craps about the huskers and the football crowd. It's very nausiating to listen to matt davidson go on and on for 5 hours before kick off and another 3 hours during the game talking through his nose about the big red. I live in Omaha and I will stay a UNO fan even when UNL starts a D1 hockey program. And yes it annoys the hell out of me when people wear their husker garb to the hockey games and it's sickening when there's a football game being played the same time there's a hockey game and people stand around watching the football game on the tv's in the concourses lounge and suites. I like to turn on the radio and hear a quick 10 minute pregame hockey show on the way to the game and it's time to get down to business.
                                UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Working...
                                X