PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota at Notre Dame 11/8 & 11/9

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

gopher wes
11-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Didn't see a thread yet so here goes....

Minnesota is coming off of a tough weekend against Bye.

Notre Dame is coming off of a split against Vermont.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Begin.....

Steve_MN
11-04-2013, 10:14 AM
Should definitely be an interesting weekend of hockey. Both are highly skilled teams, and I'll be interested to see how Minnesota handles that on smaller (200x90 as I understand it) ice.

First time Lucia has ever brought a team to South Bend.

Driftryder
11-04-2013, 11:24 AM
The Friday game is on NBC Sports Network and the Saturday game is streamed on NBC sports online from what it sounds like.

5mn_Major
11-04-2013, 11:26 AM
I'll be honest, I have no need for us to play Notre Dame. Jackson has touted a big strategy to focus on Minnesota. But overall the school has made its decision to look east...I see no need to give them a great relationship with our state as well. And in a rare side note, we won't even have our Saturday game televised because of the series.

MadCityRich
11-04-2013, 11:36 AM
I'll be honest, I have no need for us to play Notre Dame. Jackson has touted a big strategy to focus on Minnesota. But overall the school has made its decision to look east...I see no need to give them a great relationship with our state as well. And in a rare side note, we won't even have our Saturday game televised because of the series.

Not a Minny fan, but hate the domers. I wish they'd go 0-infinity in every sport. Sweep 'em.

GopherFan89
11-04-2013, 11:37 AM
This game would have been so much better if Notre Dame was still ranked #2. Should be another good test for the Gophers since there's a lot of hockey that's played on the smaller sheet. I'm betting that there were more than a couple of practices at Ridder during the bye week. Size may trump speed this weekend.

The Rube
11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
Sweep.

gopheritall
11-04-2013, 12:29 PM
Should definitely be an interesting weekend of hockey. Both are highly skilled teams, and I'll be interested to see how Minnesota handles that on smaller (200x90 as I understand it) ice.

First time Lucia has ever brought a team to South Bend.
Agreed. Should be very interesting weekend and a good measure of the team. Despite the ranking the Gophers have, we have some flaws and would love to see a strong effort against a good team on a smaller sheet of ice.

Surprised that nobody has started to worry if Don Lucia will have a picture taken in a Notre Dame jersey. ;)

TV coverage is less than ideal but we will muddle through somehow.

HarleyMC
11-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Nicely done. Provincial Jack*** Post of the Month. :D

Koho
11-04-2013, 12:30 PM

They are a quality opponent which helps the team develop, tDon's AM and he gets to see Mario. tDon has a little more say in who they play than you do and he has reason to play them, so it is going to happen. The Sat TV thing sucks.

And as for if they are rated #2 or not (GF89), 5 seconds after the puck is dropped, it matters none, especially this early in the year. What will matter is how fun the game is to watch and who wins.

Please, someone, post a link when available. And does anyone know for sure if a password is needed?

Driftryder
11-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I think the smaller ice sheet stuff gets way over-hyped, which is fine. These kids all learned how to play hockey on the smaller sheet, also all of our freshman have only played 4 games on the larger sheet I think they should be ok. My opinion of course. :)

Driftryder
11-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Here is the link Koho for Saturdays online game.

http://stream.nbcsports.com/liveextra/#live-events

Koho
11-04-2013, 12:37 PM
I think the smaller ice sheet stuff gets way over-hyped, which is fine. These kids all learned how to play hockey on the smaller sheet, also all of our freshman have only played 4 games on the larger sheet I think they should be ok. My opinion of course. :)

I agree it is a little overblown, although the effect also varies with the team you are playing. A slower, trapping team does get a little tougher on smaller rink.

Driftryder
11-04-2013, 12:39 PM
I agree it is a little overblown, although the effect also varies with the team you are playing. A slower, trapping team does get a little tougher on smaller rink.

agreed.

Do Notre Dame fans post on these boards?

mnstate0fhockey
11-04-2013, 12:47 PM

I generally agree with this. The one way in which i do think it makes a difference is that we have a young, smaller (yet ultra talented) team. On the big ice the youth and size isn't as big of a factor against older, larger teams as the young guns we have can use their speed and skill to offset that. On a smaller sheet that becomes more difficult.

Generally speaking though, this Gopher squad is talented and gritty enough where ice size shouldn't be as big of a factor though.

5mn_Major
11-04-2013, 12:58 PM
Nicely done. Provincial Jack*** Post of the Month. :D

I don't hate them, I just see no need as they are focused on the east and can't get us televised. In hockey in my state, ND's brand is no better than a dozen other schools. Not sure why that's hard to understand...

D2D
11-04-2013, 01:06 PM
I really like the idea of having Notre Dame on the non-conference schedule. They're a quality program, have huge name recognition and the travel distance is manageable. But most importantly for me, it's BRAGGING RIGHTS, as I have a lot of family who are Irish grads, including a brother who played hockey there. So...............the Gophers better win!

BigM3810
11-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Should be a good series. It will tell if the Gophers are really worthy of the #1 ranking.

80Miracle
11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
This is a big series for Notre Dame. Anytime #1 comes into your building the Irish will be pumped. I see a split. Notre Dame wins 5-4 on Friday and Minnesota wins 6-3 on Saturday.

GopherFan89
11-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Does Notre Dame play markedly better at home rather than away?