PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Four Finalists for 2015-2018

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

Nick Papagiorgio
11-01-2013, 01:33 PM
Also, while I'm on my high horse, could someone show me evidence that the Boston bids have been half-arsed and inferior to other bids? Does anyone have access to a Boston bid that has been submitted and another one to compare it to? And no, Boston not receiving the FF since 2004 is not evidence that there was anything wrong with their bid.

Or is everyone doing message board retweeting of one originally unverified opinion and passing it off as fact because everyone keeps typing into this little text box thing here?

I've seen this written a million times here now and want to know if someone has actual proof.

My solution, put this thing in Tampa permanently. I've been to some great places for the FF and my 24 hours in Tampa trumps everything else by far.

goldy_331
11-01-2013, 02:22 PM
Or is everyone doing message board retweeting of one originally unverified opinion and passing it off as fact because everyone keeps typing into this little text box thing here?

Someone heard it came from their cousin's barber and it is now GOSPEL on this board.

brassbonanza
11-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Too bad you never made it to the WCHA Final Five. ;) Then you could have experienced that joy. :rolleyes: But I don't disagree with what you're saying. Unless the Gophers play the Whioux or SCSU in the F4, I don't see alcohol being an issue.

I would suspect were there to be a BU-BC F4 game at the Garden, there would be more than a few alcohol incidents.

BU2K
11-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I would suspect were there to be a BU-BC F4 game at the Garden, there would be more than a few alcohol incidents.

We restrict those to Sully's. :)

Tampa all the way.

COHockey
11-01-2013, 03:17 PM
I say no Boston not because of the city, or their bid, or anything to do with their breach of their contract with the NC$$. Boston is a great city. I had an awesome time playing tourist, decompressing from what I still call "the Iraqi project", my hotel was incredible, and the food/drinking was top notch. The on-ice play was beyond great. I did not even know about their breach of contract until last year. What I do know, from my personal experience, was that I thought the Fleet Center, and the officials in charge of hosting the FF, did an awful job of hosting.

My seats were through DU, sitting in the lower bowl corner. The usher for our section was a long time usher, I think he said it was his seventh year ushering for the Bruins. We got there early and I was talking to him. First he indicated he got zero, ZERO preparation on it. They never told him the teams playing, the college atmosphere, that there were no alcohol sales, NOTHING. He said that he already knew about the teams and a bit of differences in college hockey (mainly because this is a good college hockey town). But if one did not pay attention to the news and was an average usher, they would have been clueless. He said all that he was told was that if any of the regular ushers wanted to schedule the days and once he got there, his portal assignment.

My experience immediately at the Fleet Center and around was either like "give me your money" or "oh, another college thing". Compare this to DC where even if they had no idea about the FF, we were treated well, or at Tampa, where every bar for a five mile radius knew what was going on. Heck, I saw a sign at a bar as far away as Kissimmee.

When it was time to renew my season tickets later that summer, I was talking to someone at the front office about the Frozen Four and how great it felt over the summer, but was told about the mix-up of seats given to UMD and how UMD was blamed that they oversold their allotment. He said that during those three days (and the couple days prior), the Fleet Center treated Maine, UMD, and Denver like s**t every time an issue was brought up. He complained about simple maintenance things (like cold water faucets) ignored because it did not affect NHL play, but other maintenance issues were fixed immediately because they would have affected the Bruins after the FF was over.

On top of all this is the evidence collected by pgb-ohio on lottery seat assignments being worse than other FF before and after just tells me that Boston is not the way to go.

I have some more complaints about Boston not directly relating to my experience (all since the marathon bombing) so I will leave it off this post. It would take me a few minutes to dig up the quotes from the Boston police anyhow.

I want to go back to Boston again, especially playing tourist. But another FF there? I'd prefer elsewhere.

Priceless
11-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Also, while I'm on my high horse, could someone show me evidence that the Boston bids have been half-arsed and inferior to other bids? Does anyone have access to a Boston bid that has been submitted and another one to compare it to? And no, Boston not receiving the FF since 2004 is not evidence that there was anything wrong with their bid.

I've seen this written a million times here now and want to know if someone has actual proof.

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw it posted in a newsgroup somewhere.

MichaelMaineFan
11-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Boston, St. Paul, Denver, Tampa or DC.

dubbie31
11-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Id take it in Denver again. No one can complain about a trip here either...except maybe the distance to travel but for the most part we can host a good party. I know the BC fans wouldn't complain about coming back, they have great memories.

BC/HE
11-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Id take it in Denver again. No one can complain about a trip here either...except maybe the distance to travel but for the most part we can host a good party. I know the BC fans wouldn't complain about coming back, they have great memories.

When in Denver you knew the Frozen 4 was going on, for there were street banners hanging from streetlamps all over the city reminding you of it. A requirement such as this should be a consideration in granting a bid. As good as being in a city like Boston can be for NCAA hockey fans, that nagging feeling that no one else around cares seems to be a major sticking point. Hopefully Boston's and everyone else's bids read into this that you have to make it an event that draws the attention of locals even if they do not attend. Make them interested in making it into a big event outside of the arena as well and you will win the hearts of the fans.

Ralph Baer
11-01-2013, 08:44 PM
When in Denver you knew the Frozen 4 was going on, for there were street banners hanging from streetlamps all over the city reminding you of it. A requirement such as this should be a consideration in granting a bid. As good as being in a city like Boston can be for NCAA hockey fans, that nagging feeling that no one else around cares seems to be a major sticking point. Hopefully Boston's and everyone else's bids read into this that you have to make it an event that draws the attention of locals even if they do not attend. Make them interested in making it into a big event outside of the arena as well and you will win the hearts of the fans.

Boy is DC in trouble then, especially considering it's Cherry Blossom Festival time.

Carmine Scarpaglia
11-01-2013, 11:31 PM

Nope can't go to Denver again. They had a toilet that wouldn't flush Thursday and it was still broken two days later back behind section 106. It's true! Going to have to pass on them, how could they submit such a half-azzed bid like this that they would have a clogged toilet and not fix it! Unacceptable. COHockey thinks they are a TERRIBLE host because of this. Going to have to just keep going back to Tampa I guess.

NEVER AGAIN for Denver!

pgb-ohio
11-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Well, it would have been more efficient to simply point out that Denver isn't one of the finalists this time. But you're obviously having a great deal of fun with the rants. ;)

At the same time, your attempts to trivialize the issues with the Boston bid(s) are misguided. In any sort of joint commercial venture, it's important to have a functional working relationship with your partners. You don't need to be BFFs, but minimum levels of communication and trust are crucial. Absent those, the product will be less than it should be.

I agree with both of your personas; ;) Boston should get another tournament. Preferably in 2015. And yes, Boston is great city to visit, no disagreement there either. But much more importantly, New England is home to a significant percentage of the Frozen Four fanbase. That fanbase deserves another chance to attend the event locally, and to enjoy the privilege of hosting. What needs to happen is for the powers-that-be to sit down, negotiate in good faith, cut a reasonable deal and live up to it.

Yes, the conduct of a small group of Boston's business leaders has been called into question. No, your entire community has not been "disparaged," to use Sean's word.

pgb-ohio
11-02-2013, 01:07 AM
Regarding the ice, I remember how indignant I first was when I started seeing commercial logos in the ice. But now, I donít even notice them, and I also recognize that eliminating them really is a big deal. And it should be a point of pride that the FF is on a rink that also is home to NHL and Stanley Cup games, not a fact to be hidden. I think they should do away with this requirement.Very well put.

UMICH
11-03-2013, 12:50 AM
This won't be popular but Detroit is building a new arena for the Red Wings (they haven't finalized it yet). I'm thinking the 2018-ish date sounds about right.

Detroit is a fantastic sports town despite the bad reputation it gets from the media.

CLS
11-03-2013, 06:48 AM
This won't be popular but Detroit is building a new arena for the Red Wings (they haven't finalized it yet). I'm thinking the 2018-ish date sounds about right.

Detroit is a fantastic sports town despite the bad reputation it gets from the media.If the plans aren't finalized yet, perhaps they didn't enter a bid, or the NCAA wanted to see an operational building first. But in any case, I'd be fine with attending a FF in Detroit. I'll admit to boycotting the last FF there, but it was because of the football field aspect, not because it was in Detroit.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
11-03-2013, 08:10 AM
So UW's Tampa bid lives on, but the Milwaukee one is dead.

There are any number of reasons that this could be true, and none would surprise me.

RaceBoarder
11-03-2013, 10:13 AM

There are any number of reasons that this could be true, and none would surprise me.

Barry wants a vacation to a warm place in April :p

RaceBoarder
11-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Barry wants a vacation to a warm place in April :p