TV coverage -- pros and cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV coverage -- pros and cons

There was another mention in the Minnesota Golden Gopher thread about when the team got TV coverage a few years back. I was about to reply there, but thought a new thread on the subject would be better suited.

I have mixed emotions about televised games, particularly as someone who is regularly in attendance at the games and not watching the TV live. Here are some top-of-mind thoughts.

Obviously, the biggest "pro" for having TV coverage is getting more exposure to the public; that's something every team would love. I'm assuming that the school would also get a cut of the associated advertising revenue as well (though maybe not). And for fans like myself who are actually at the game, the wonderful invention known as a video recorder allows us to go back and review anything we might have missed, or just to be able to watch the game again.

The one big "con" for a fan attending the game in person is that TV adds a half-hour to the length of the game (give or take a couple minutes); it's not a deal-breaker, but can be noticeable. As for TV timeouts themselves, I used to find them enjoyable because it gave the pep band more opportunities to play, but lately (at least at Minnesota men's hockey games) they're being used more and more for advertising and related announcements. And does the ability to watch the game on TV dissuade people from actually attending in person?
    Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
    Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
    Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Re: TV coverage -- pros and cons

Most productions/broadcasts of women's games are part of a package deal made by a production company or television station/network to broadcast men's marque sports. As they say, the only bad publicity is no publicity. I would bet that it is a wash on whether you gain or lose bodies during games that are broadcast. (picking up some who say "oh, hey let's go to the game" and losing some that say "hey, let's save a trip since we can watch it on the tube." Plus, I think you are likely to pick up bodies for games following a broadcast due to the increase in visibility. Of course, a lot depends also on the quality of the broadcast in both picture and announcing, and how much promotion is done for the broadcast prior to the game.

Overall, I'd rather see two or three games of any particular team broadcast in their area vs none at all.

Comment

Re: TV coverage -- pros and cons

The Oswego Classic is on the air live now - Cortland St V Castleton St. Oswego St. meets New England College later today

http://athletics.oswego.edu/showcase/?Live=169#close
      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Working...
      X