Adrian Hockey, 2013-2014: By George, the Lowe Haaf of the Towns are Gray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adrian Hockey, 2013-2014: By George, the Lowe Haaf of the Towns are Gray

Shut up. This is what we're going with this year.

The intersquad scrimmage was tonight, so here we go. Got a look at the freshman. I think we'll be okay.

A lot of production to replace this season, especially from the losses of Dovey, Graham and Merasty. I fully expect Ranalli to continue to improve, as well as Cousineau and Shelby Gray. Freshmen Jeremy Olinyk, Brett Pinkerton and Austin Hervey could also be nice additions to the scoresheets this season, too. Where we really need improvement, IMHO, is the production from our defensemen. In years past, we had Klaver, Waller and Stansik back there putting in 30+ points a season, and last year we really didn't have that. Sure, Ryan Gieseler chipped in 15 and Chris Leone had 12, but we've got to get more back there. Hopefully Jake Flegel, Michael Hoy and David Haaf can do something about that.

Now, then. Let's address the 800 pound elephant in the room: St. Norbert. This league is going to be much different this season. SNC and CSC have joined the conference, and brought the league name with them. Strangest thing I've ever seen, but whatever. I'm not going to duck it. St. Norbert enters as the favorite, and rightfully so. Adrian, and the rest of the NCHA for that matter, must simply raise their game. We'll see if we can do just that. We'll find out in February in De Pere.

There's no reason this league should not be a 2-bid conference in years going forward. But we're going to have to prove that out on the ice.

All right, let's go.
    FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Re: Adrian Hockey, 2013-2014: By George, the Lowe Haaf of the Towns are Gray

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    Shut up. This is what we're going with this year.

There's no reason this league should not be a 2-bit conference in years going forward. But we're going to have to prove that out on the ice.

All right, let's go.
    Fixed your post - couldn't resist
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

I can't believe YOU of all people.....

God, that was fun...

Comment

For sure a conference to watch. We've seen what adding a team like Adrian has done to the lower end teams of the league, one only has to think adding SNC will only make it grow that much more. Kind of reminds me a lot of the SUNYAC. Two great teams, a couple above average, a couple average, and a couple teams who really need to get better still.
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

I can't believe YOU of all people.....
          Just too easy...It was like a 6 inch putt.
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            For sure a conference to watch. We've seen what adding a team like Adrian has done to the lower end teams of the league, one only has to think adding SNC will only make it grow that much more. Kind of reminds me a lot of the SUNYAC. Two great teams, a couple above average, a couple average, and a couple teams who really need to get better still.
            History doesn't necessarily repeat itself, but it sure does rhyme. Much like everyone had to raise their game when Adrian joined the league, now Adrian (and the rest of the league, for that matter) must adjust for the new additions. I just hope this one isn't as painful for the rest of the league as it was when we joined.

As for the league this year, I think Northland and Lawrence are in real trouble. I think this is finally the year Concordia takes a big step forward. Yeah, I know, I've only been saying that for 5 years or so. As for Lake Forest and Finlandia, they should take another step forward, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough to make a significant dent in the standings.

God, that was fun...

Comment

As for the league name, I think it was an obvious move to change the National perception of the league. Let's face it, the MCHA has had a negative connotation to it since it's inception. The league has improved exponentially since 2007, but the National image hasn't improved as much accordingly.

The new name has the National recognition and accolades that the "new" NCHA hopes to uphold. Plus, it simplifies things with the women's side of things.

Comment

Not much I can add to these observations. It's really difficult to gauge the talent on this team in an iter-squad game. Both goaltenders put on a great show.
                From what I saw, this year's team certainly has much more size at both ends of the rink, without sacrificing a great deal of speed.
                Won't know how offensively gifted this group will be, but we should have a clue right off the hop on the upcoming road-trip to Northland.

Most here expect the NCHA to be a 2-3 team race and have circled Jan 31, Feb 1 on the schedule, however I expect there will be a few speed bumps along the road that may surprise the favourites.

Have a great season Bulldogs !!
                Last edited by NorthernLite; 10-28-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

With the exception of the 13-14 minute mark of the 3rd period, a really nice win tonight at Northland. Ranalli had a pair, Pinkerton got his first goal and assist, Hoy got his first goal, and Hervey and Olinyk got their first career points as well. Leone and Davies were both +3 on the night.

God, that was fun...

Comment

As for the league this year, I think Northland and Lawrence are in real trouble. I think this is finally the year Concordia takes a big step forward. Yeah, I know, I've only been saying that for 5 years or so. As for Lake Forest and Finlandia, they should take another step forward, but I'm not sure it's going to be enough to make a significant dent in the standings.
                    Northland and Lawrence are in real trouble, but Finlandia could be just as bad. Time (graduation) has not been good to NC and LU. NC losing McIntosh and Wright, and LU losing Scurfield and Bushbacher has severly hurt both offenses. Sivnert quitting hockey was a real blow to the netminding at LU. Meanwhile, Finlandia had a nightmare start to their season.

Lake Forest had a wonderful road win with Podolsky getting the shutout win, and McAloon potting two goals. The new era begins for LFC. They could finish as high as 4th in the new NCHA.

I see both SNC and Adrian getting post season bids.
                    2011-2012 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM CHAMPION
                    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA PICK'EM 2ND PLACE
                    THE NCHA -ADRIAN-AURORA-CONCORDIA (WI)-FINLANDIA-LAKE FOREST-LAWRENCE-MARIAN-MSOE-NORTHLAND-ST. NORBERT-ST. SCHOLASTICA

Comment

How is it possible that Lawrence is in trouble? Every time I have brought that up I have been ridiculed here and been told they are a team on the rise. The coach has been there long enough if they were going anywhere it would be obvious by now and before anyone brings up MSOE in the usual unrelated manner I don't think we are going anywhere this year either. We are not the same team we were a few years ago. Lake Forest, Marian and Concordia are the teams that are getting better while as much as I hate to say it MSOE has gone backwards and Lawrence has gone nowhere.
                      A decade of excuses.

MSOE RAIDER HOCKEY!!

Comment

Originally posted by Raidineer View Post
                        How is it possible that Lawrence is in trouble? Every time I have brought that up I have been ridiculed here and been told they are a team on the rise. The coach has been there long enough if they were going anywhere it would be obvious by now and before anyone brings up MSOE in the usual unrelated manner I don't think we are going anywhere this year either. We are not the same team we were a few years ago. Lake Forest, Marian and Concordia are the teams that are getting better while as much as I hate to say it MSOE has gone backwards and Lawrence has gone nowhere.
                        The gap that once existed between the bottom & top of the "former" MCHA has been filled in. Teams like Concordia and Lake Forest had the longest route to respectability and will attract the most attention. Lawrence was always a step ahead, while Marian & MSOE always competed and challenged.

Lawrence alway seemed to find a way into the MCHA tournament. They have a good coach who seems to get the most out of his players. That said, it's pretty apparent that he hasn't been able to recruit players to get them to the next level.

With the exception of Concordia, I don't forsee a real change in the pecking order in the new NCHA.

Northland Finlandia will struggle and may win 2-3 games.
                        Lawrence and Lake Forest will be a step ahead.

Concordia, Marian,MSOE will compete and are capable of winning any game on their respective schedules.
                        I figure we'll see these three at .500 or better.

CSC,SNC & Adrian will likely get through the conference schedule with 2-4 losses.

Comment

Lawrence beat Marian tonight. Okay, now what? Because I've got nothing.

Adrian over MSOE, 4-1. Shackell went out early in the 1st after some sort of collision with Evan Wilson.

God, that was fun...

Comment

Adrian over MSOE, 4-1. Shackell went out early in the 1st after some sort of collision with Evan Wilson.
                            I was at the game and it appeared that he hit his head on the ice after the collision with the MSOE player. Needed help getting off the ice.
                            Adrian pretty much handled MSOE for the entire game, other than a short four minute spurt in the third period when MSOE showed some life. Adrian's PP looked good. Did not allow MSOE many quality scoring chances....Final point...MSOE had to have one of the smallest starting lineups I have ever seen in D-3 Hockey. Could not compete against Adrian's size, esp on the boards..
                            SNC Men:
                            Five Time National Champions: 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014. 2018....
                            NCHA Champions: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2017. 2018, 2019...
                            SNC Women:
                            O'Brien Cup Champions: 2013.

Comment

I'm looking forward to watching the the home opening weekend.vs. unbeaten Concordia (Wis.). Always a fun weekend. Very anxious to see how the new class responds to home ice.

Comment

Working...
                              X