SUCS @ UND Nov 1-2, The Pups Visit the Palace on the Prairie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUCS @ UND Nov 1-2, The Pups Visit the Palace on the Prairie

Since UND is playing the U-18 team and the skating mullets are in Hamilton NY for a "who cares?" series against Colgate we might as well spend 2 weeks talking about Erin Marvin and all the non-calls/bad penalty calls against UND.

The Huskies travel to UND for their first taste of NCHC action and a chance to take some very important points home. Below are the pre-season capsules from college hockey news.

North Dakota

Head Coach: Dave Hakstol
    2012-13 Record: 22-13-7, 14-7-7 WCHA (3rd)

Changes: Almost half of the team’s scoring from a year ago will not return for the 2012-13 campaign in Grand Forks, and that includes graduated seniors Corban Knight (49 points last season) and Danny Kristo (52 points).

Strength: Goaltending. Last year, now-sophomore Zane Gothberg and now-senior Clarke Saunders split time in the crease for the Sioux, and the tandem proved to be successful. In the NCAA tournament, Gothberg earned a 2-1 win in the first round against Niagara, but it was Saunders who earned the start for the West Regional final that ultimately saw North Dakota fall to eventual national champion Yale. The duo will battle for playing time this season, but expect Hakstol to start the year with the familiar rotating starters, as he did in the opening weekend against Vermont.

Weakness: Although North Dakota has a tendency to reload its squad year after year, it’s certainly conceivable that last year’s losses to graduation – with all of the scoring left to find elsewhere this year – may be too much to replace, at least in the short term. Expect senior defenseman Dillon Simpson to help guide North Dakota in its early NCHC era.

2013-14 Outlook: North Dakota has developed a reputation for being a late-blooming team but can ill-afford to fall behind quickly in what will be one of the most competitive leagues in the new-look college hockey landscape. ND kicks off the NCHC schedule with a trip to Miami in what will be a battle of arguably the top goaltending duos in the league, and two of the most accomplished teams in college hockey over the past several seasons.

Said coach Dave Hakstol about the outlook for his squad, “Our season will be dictated by the work has done over the summer, over the last three weeks, and what our guys are doing to get better today. The predictions are all left to somebody else. I won’t be making any.”

St. Cloud State

Head Coach: Bob Motzko
    2012-13 Record: 25-16-1 overall, 18-9-1 WCHA (1st)

Changes: There’s no doubt the Huskies will miss 2013 Hobey Baker winner Drew LeBlanc. Signed as a free agent by the Chicago Blackhawks after the Huskies fell to Quinnipiac at the NCAA Frozen Four last April, LeBlanc led the team in scoring with 50 points. Between LeBlanc, Ben Hanowski and Nick Jensen, all with powerful scoring abilities, the Huskies lose a lot of firepower. Fortunately, they have incoming recruits like Ben Storm, a 6-foot-6 Colorado Avalanche prospect out of the USHL, to help fill the voids.

Strength: The Huskies only lost four players from a season ago, and as a result, will return an experienced team that just played in a Frozen Four. St. Cloud also returns three of its top four scorers from a year ago and boasts developing stars like Joey Benik, who displayed his capabilities late last season after returning from an injury.

Defensively, Andrew Prochno has a strong presence on the ice, and combined expected solid goaltending from Ryan Faragher, the Huskies should be able to keep their goals-against count reasonably low.

Weakness: A void on defense. “I really think the biggest hole we have to fill this season is Nick Jensen,” coach Bob Motzko explained. “He wasn’t just one player; he was the heart of that defensive core, he was the heart of our penalty kill, he was the heart of that last minute of play. In big moments, he was the guy on the ice.”

2013-14 Outlook: The experience of advancing to last year’s NCAA Frozen Four, while boasting the nation’s Hobey Baker winner, was undoubtedly an invaluable experience for the Huskies, who have the makeup to make another run in post-season action.
    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Re: SUCS @ UND Nov 1-2, The Pups Visit the Palace on the Prairie

Put the Boone's Farm back in the cooler, this party sucks.
    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

rabble, rabble
      Last edited by Slap Shot; 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Or jan brady visits the hostile and abusives...

Comment

If North Dakota's strength is goaltending, I like our chances.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            Zing!

Thinking there will be some "Gothberg, Gothberg...you suck." Chants this weekend.

Splitsky.

Comment

Given Faragher's stats are about equal to Gothberg's, Rocco should score about 30 on him. If he can avoid the goalposts.
              Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
              when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
              Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                Given Faragher's stats are about equal to Gothberg's, Rocco should score about 30 on him. If he can avoid the goalposts.
                Yeah, given Rocco's two goals on the season, I think some of Gretzky's records are in jeopardy.
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

What an original name for the title of this thread?! How long did that take?
                  Originally posted by Skeeterman
                  Lady Wore Black is a hottie.
                  "I love hockey, it is such a great sport. I love how the outfielders use their baseball bats to hit the ball across the ice field, pass the punter for nothing but net shot from downtown." - Unknown

"No matter what happens in college hockey tournament, the Yankees will not win the World Series this year." - Mr. wore Black

Comment

Yeah, given Rocco's two goals on the season, I think some of Gretzky's records are in jeopardy.
                    I'm pretty sure even if Rocco scored five goals/game for the rest of the season that Gretzky's records wouldn't be in jeopardy. This may come as a surprise to you, but doing things in college hockey has literally no effect on NHL records.
                    Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
                    when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
                    Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      I'm pretty sure even if Rocco scored five goals/game for the rest of the season that Gretzky's records wouldn't be in jeopardy. This may come as a surprise to you, but doing things in college hockey has literally no effect on NHL records.
                      This may come as a surprise to you, but no player has ever scored 20 points in a series, let alone 30.

Rocco won't top 50 points this season. Don't know who has the D-I record and am not going to look it up. Point is Rocco won't score half of whatever the record is. He should be worried about the Flickertails getting a split this weekend.

Comment

This may come as a surprise to you, but no player has ever scored 20 points in a series, let alone 30.

Rocco won't top 50 points this season. Don't know who has the D-I record and am not going to look it up. Point is Rocco won't score half of whatever the record is. He should be worried about the Flickertails getting a split this weekend.
                        Tony Hrkac!
                        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                          Tony Hrkac!
                          I was going to guess Hrkac or Aaron Broten.

Comment

I was going to guess Hrkac or Aaron Broten.
                            The only reason I remember is because former Bulldog Bill Watson is number 2 for most points in a single season.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Lady wore Black View Post
                              What an original name for the title of this thread?! How long did that take?
                              You're just noticing the thread title now? I know you guys had a big important series with Colgate over the weekend but what took so long to see this awesome thread title?
                              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X