PDA

View Full Version : Round 1 of nWCHA Tech vs Northern

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Huskiefan906
10-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Both teams off to less than hoped for start to the season.
Tech hampered by D. Johnstone out of the lineup after first game. Tech has showed flashes of the type if team they can be. Hopefully, NMU provides all the motivation required this upcoming weekends.

aygwm2
10-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Right, the losses to Wisconsin look a little worse after Wisco got spanked by both BC and BU this past weekend. But, NMU looked pretty good against UNO this past weekend (splitting), though what kind of team UNO will be like over the course of the season remains to be seen.

NMU has also been without their spark-plug Reed Seckel to begin the season. I have no idea what his status is or when he'll be back.

Looking forward to watching the home & home series this weekend; and, I hope both arenas will be packed to add some atmosphere to the nWCHA rivalry.

RaceBoarder
10-21-2013, 12:54 PM
woof!!!

Shirtless Guy
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Right, the losses to Wisconsin look a little worse after Wisco got spanked by both BC and BU this past weekend. But, NMU looked pretty good against UNO this past weekend (splitting), though what kind of team UNO will be like over the course of the season remains to be seen.

NMU has also been without their spark-plug Reed Seckel to begin the season. I have no idea what his status is or when he'll be back.

Looking forward to watching the home & home series this weekend; and, I hope both arenas will be packed to add some atmosphere to the nWCHA rivalry.Michigan Tech has been in every game and fought hard to tie up games in the 2nd and 3rd period but just can't get over the hump thus far and finish a game strong including taking a lead (have not lead a second of a game yet). Their power play has really struggled without Siego at quarterback so they need to figure that out yet. The defense has been very strong and until Sunday crazy penaltyfest, they were actually even during the PK with 2 SHGs and 2 PPG allowed. I expect the shorties to continue, this team has some speed and will get shorthanded opportunities. Hopefully a home game and a rivalry game will help get the Huskies on the right track this weekend and start of nWCHA play with a bang.

bigblue_dl
10-21-2013, 12:59 PM
subscribed

Huskiefan906
10-21-2013, 06:49 PM
subscribed

I still remember the added intensity of a Tech/ Northern series, i.e. watching Phil Berger and Jeff St. Cyr chop trees while
going at it in front of the Tech net. This should be a lot of fun to watch this
weekend.

RaceBoarder
10-22-2013, 12:01 PM
These threads were a lot more fun 6 years ago...

NMU should have Reed Sekel back this weekend... That should be a nice addition for scoring... Also a confidence boost...

That being said, rivalry game... Just flip a coin... Hell, just look at this series from 10 years ago... NMU wins in dramatic fashion on Friday and then we have the Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned on Saturday... ****... I feel old now :mad: :( 10 years already?

bigblue_dl
10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
These threads were a lot more fun 6 years ago...

NMU should have Reed Sekel back this weekend... That should be a nice addition for scoring... Also a confidence boost...

That being said, rivalry game... Just flip a coin... Hell, just look at this series from 10 years ago... NMU wins in dramatic fashion on Friday and then we have the Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned on Saturday... ****... I feel old now :mad: :( 10 years already?

That was 10 years ago? **** me.

aparch
10-22-2013, 12:57 PM
That was 10 years ago? **** me.

No kidding. I feel really old now.

What an awful game that Saturday night was.

aparch
10-22-2013, 12:58 PM
And this thread is missing some Mojo...

bigblue_dl
10-22-2013, 01:15 PM
No kidding. I feel really old now.

What an awful game that Saturday night was.

It definitely was awful until the last 3 minutes or so.

UpNorthHockey
10-22-2013, 02:07 PM
It'll be a close series. Of the two teams, I think Tech has had the tougher schedule. All Tech's games were 1 goal except the game the refs won. I'm not impressed with NMU's losses to WI or their victory over a UNO team that split with Bentley. Tech has the greater firepower, but I'd give NMU the edge on D. I'm picking Tech to sweep in a penalty laden, physical series.

stuckinwi
10-23-2013, 11:39 AM
It'll be a close series. Of the two teams, I think Tech has had the tougher schedule. All Tech's games were 1 goal except the game the refs won. I'm not impressed with NMU's losses to WI or their victory over a UNO team that split with Bentley. Tech has the greater firepower, but I'd give NMU the edge on D. I'm picking Tech to sweep in a penalty laden, physical series.

Please please no penalty laden games after last week. I'm still having nightmares...

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Tech really needs to focus and get these wins, or else it's going to be difficult to have much confidence traveling to Yost. Tech will try to use their speed to frustrate NMU and draw penalties, so we need to get that powerplay going. Officiating should at least be more even, as that was a total hack job by that HEA crew on Sunday at Notre Dame.

Twitch Boy
10-23-2013, 12:49 PM
and then we have the Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned on Saturday... ****... I feel old now :mad: :( 10 years already?

I thought that game was 6 years ago at the Berry.

Okay, now I feel old.

bigblue_dl
10-23-2013, 02:30 PM
For the young-ens:
http://www.uscho.com/box/mens-hockey/2003/10/18/northern-michigan-vs-michigan-tech/
http://www.uscho.com/recaps/2003/10/18/wild-comeback-gives-michigan-tech-win/

RaceBoarder
10-23-2013, 02:54 PM
I thought that game was 6 years ago at the Berry.

Okay, now I feel old.

I thought it was fair game to talk about Jordan Foote going turtle :p

Shirtless Guy
10-23-2013, 03:04 PM
I thought it was fair game to talk about Jordan Foote going turtle :pJordan Foote should have gone MJ when the New York Rangers when he was pushed to either attend MTU in 2004-2005 or go MJ. Would have saved a scholarship and a bunch of headaches...

bigblue_dl
10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Jordan Foote should have gone MJ when the New York Rangers when he was pushed to either attend MTU in 2004-2005 or go MJ. Would have saved a scholarship and a bunch of headaches...

Nah, the stories were worth it.

I like how the NMU folks are so proud that their boy was able to beat the **** out of a guy with a dislocated shoulder. :p

FadeToBlack&Gold
10-23-2013, 03:29 PM
I like how the NMU folks are so proud that their boy was able to beat the **** out of a guy with a dislocated shoulder. :p

After they ran Teslak and re-injured him, and Stewart took that hilariously pathetic swan dive. ;)

Then the following night in Houghton, trotted out that dusty old Ramada Trophy that wasn't even up for grabs and celebrated with it like they won a national championship. :rolleyes: