No announcement yet.

Cornell and UNO square off for the first time, EVER, at UNO, Oct 25th & 26th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornell and UNO square off for the first time, EVER, at UNO, Oct 25th & 26th

Sheesh, that took a while.

UNO down to 4 Division One teams that they still have yet to play after this weekend. Sacred Heart, Robert Morris, Renssalaer, and Penn State.

UNO begins the murder's row portion of their schedule this weekend following up Cornell with (in order) Denver, North Dakota, Michigan, and Miami.

Yikes.

Cornell starts off their regular season against UNO after an exhibition win against York University.

I've been trying to explain to all my buddies that Cornell is the REAL Big Red, since Cornell's been using that moniker since 1916, but myopic Huskers fans around here see it otherwise.

Since the Friday night game is Cornell's first "real" game, I give the edge to UNO on Friday night, they having "already" played 4 games, and, an exhibition game of their own.

Discuss.

Re: Cornell and UNO square off for the first time, EVER, at UNO, Oct 25th & 26th

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    I've been trying to explain to all my buddies that Cornell is the REAL Big Red, since Cornell's been using that moniker since 1916, but myopic Huskers fans around here see it otherwise.
    It's not rampant, and it certainly isn't any kind of official cheer (i.e. our cheerleaders don't ever say it, our student sections don't chant it), but reading comments on on social media, lots of Badgers fans say, "go big red!" Even though it's fairly minor, it bugs me a ton. Leading up to that overhyped Nebraska-Wisconsin football game in 2011, I remember they tried to tell us "Wisconsin - the real Big Red." I only thought "NO! Neither of these teams is the 'real' Big Red! That's Cornell!"

Comment

Re: Cornell and UNO square off for the first time, EVER, at UNO, Oct 25th & 26th

Just for the record, Cornell fans don't cheer "Go Big Red!" We cheer "Let's Go Red!"

The only time you see "Go Big Red" at Cornell is on merchandise, and that's probably so the manufacturer can use the same design for multiple teams.
      Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Watch out for the Cornell Head Coach, he is devious. And Ferlin, who is an absolute beast around the net.
        YALE HOCKEY
        2013 National Champions

Comment

Agree that Ferlin is a beast; most fun (returning) player to watch is Cole Bardreau - great combination of ice awareness, skating, stickhandling, and passing. If he's on his game, you'll really enjoy (or hate!) watching him ply his trade. I just hope that some of our freshmen are even better!
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

The UNO radio promos for this series here in Omaha feature a voiceover guy that refers to Cornell as "Ker-nel" during the ad.

Good grief.

Very typical of the bush league and almost non-existent promotion here of UNO hockey, which is supposed to be the school's "signature" sport.

Comment

Could be the nicest way we're referred to all year....

Comment

wow that was embarrassing. brock montdip**** needs to take tomorrow night of and celebrate his time in the box. The Sioux are going to hand our butts to us.
                UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

This game was one of the worst of the Dean Blais era here.

Somehow, UNO managed to turn a 1 goal lead with just over 11 minutes remaining in the game into a deficit in the space of 12 seconds. The Mavs gave up 3 more power play goals in this game. This result, despite holding Cornell to only 20 shots on goal. And, against a team playing its first game of the season. On the road. In front of the largest crowd so far this season at UNO.

I can't be too judgmental about UNO goalie Kirk Thompson since the defense in front of him is so bad, it's hard to gauge his goaltending abilities. That said, he doesn't inspire in any way.

Much the same can be said about this team, in general. No real fire is evident and the play looks disorganized. During UNO's first power play Cornell looked like they were the ones with the man advantage. I'd have a hard time telling anybody that asked me who the leader of this team is, because, it isn't evident to me at all.

I don't recall ever seeing UNO, in program history, almost all of which of which I have seen, take many stupider penalties than the ones that Jake Guentzel took at 16:54 of the 3rd period, followed by Brock (Mr. Penalty) Montpetit's immediately thereafter at 17:53 that allowed Cornell to finish pretty much the entire last 3 minutes of the game on the power play, much of it with a two man advantage. Really, when do you ever see penalties called against the home team like that, when they are behind by one goal unless they are particularly egregious? A two man advantage situation with under a few minutes to play? I'd be hard pressed to name another bigger mass exodus by the fans from a UNO game, ever, with time remaining on the clock, than the one that happened after Montpetit's penalty (when the score was still 5-4) since it meant that UNO would killing a 5 on 3 for over a minute and would be facing a man advantage for what was left of the game after that. Needless to say, Cornell scored and the few people left in the building did just that. Left.

I don't have high hopes for tomorrow night at all. If UNO was going to split this series, this is the game I thought they'd win, since Cornell had yet to play a game. If I was Cornell, I'd have all the confidence in the world tomorrow night, deservedly so.

UNO has coming up, in order, Denver, North Dakota, Michigan, and Miami. Based on what I have seen of this team so far, it would not shock me at all if UNO doesn't win a single one of those games. Seriously. That seems unlikely, but..............

Ryan Walters or not, this is not a good team right now. Not at all. Special teams, defense and goaltending are pretty scary, to say the least.

I am an unapologetic UNO fan but this was an absolute abortion tonight and continues my concerns that Coach Blais has somehow "lost interest". The longer he's been here the more steps backward we are taking. It doesn't seem that way, it's what's actually happening. The paper here has sort of put the program on notice as well:

http://www.omaha.com/article/2013102...-level-of-play

Onward to tomorrow night.

Comment

Red Cows - although I'm not sorry you're disappointed by last night's result (and I hope you're disappointed again tonight!), I really appreciate your recap. It's very refreshing to see a fan of a losing team passionately, yet honestly, assessing what went wrong rather than the typical "it's all the [ref's, ice's, boards', hot dog vendor's] fault, and the other team is just a bunch of [goons, cheap-shot artists, divers, whiners, cheaters]!"

May you go undefeated the rest of the regular season - starting tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks for the summation of what I saw Redcows. I think Kirk has been playing great considering his lack of experience at this level. I'm not even bothering to go tonight.
                      UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Series post mortem and thoughts.

Ironically, UNO actually played better on Saturday night than Friday but the team is still an unmitigated special teams disaster. Cornell very efficiently and adeptly exploited this glaring weakness in our game, despite being outshot 40-13 Saturday night, and scored all 4 of their goals on the power play as UNO allowed Cornell to overall go 7-15 on the power play on the weekend. When skating at even strength, UNO outscored Cornell 4-2 this weekend. UNO has given up 11 power play goals in the last three games.

The defenseman and our goalies are a huge problem on this team along with all the dumb penalties we continue to commit. Alex Simonson, who doesn't play a lot, much less take faceoffs, was afforded both opportunities on Saturday night and committed an interference penalty during a faceoff in the 2nd period! That ended his night as he did not play again the rest of the game. Ryan Massa is not the answer at goalie and I thought Coach Blais would give Reed Peters a start in goal just to see if he was somebody that could do something inspiring between the pipes, because its going to be needed with a defense corps as bad as we have if we are going to compete this season.

On a side note, the series was very poorly officiated, but this did not have much to do with the outcome of the series and, in fact, I thought Cornell got the worst of it, even, on Saturday night. Suffice to say that UNO fans (me included) have been yelling at two of the clowns on the crew that did this series for over a decade, since they go back to our CCHA days. I don't think I have ever seen a home series UNO has played where more animated conversations took place between the captains of each team and the officials. Cornell fan, I assume John McCarron is a law student since I have never seen an opposing team captain have more conversations with, and, lobby officials like that guy did this weekend. Between all the grousing with officials and all the penalties by both sides, Friday night was easily the latest I have gotten home after a Friday night UNO game that didn't go into overtime, in my recollection.

Our guys showed me some spunk for the first time all season in the last 5 minutes of last night's game, finally, as they really had Cornell on their heels for really the only time all weekend as they attempted their furious comeback, with Walters "tying goal" going in about 1 second after the final horn. I don't know what the huge scrum was all about after the horn, but I suspect it was frustration by our guys at having come up one second short. That's the closest thing to an out and out brawl I've seen a college hockey game in some time and I note that some penalties were dealt out at the 20:00 minute mark after the fact, but nobody, to my surprise, is tossed for their team's next game, despite the fact there were some obvious candidates. How Brock Montpetit (who has now been ordained by our fanbase as "Montpenaltybox") escaped being assessed something in there is a mystery to me since he was one of the main combatants.

Congrats to Cornell for seizing the opportunity and walking though the doors that UNO cracked open for them and walking in to take what was given them, a mark of what good teams do. Our team has some growing up to do that it is imperative that they do in a hurry.
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 10-27-2013, 11:08 PM.

Comment

"On a side note, the series was very poorly officiated, but this did not have much to do with the outcome of the series and, in fact, I thought Cornell got the worst of it, even, on Saturday night. Suffice to say that UNO fans (me included) have been yelling at two of the clowns on the crew that did this series for over a decade, since they go back to our CCHA days."

I don't recognize the lead officials that did your series as former CCHA referees. Todd Lacina, one of the AR's is the only name I recall. Maybe you got those guys as a local rotation when you were in the old WCHA.

FWIW, when the B1G was formed, they named former CCHA director of officials Steve Piotrowski as their coordinating head of officials. I have seen some of our former CCHA officials doing games for the B1G (AR such as Tony Molina, lead officials like Aaron, McInchak, Langseth, Hill Pochmara) but we have only had three official home games so far. I tried to look up the list of officials on the B1G's website but couldn't find it- I believe there are 20 lead officials though. My guess is, the B1G interviewed and hired some of the same officials from the CCHA and old WCHA and integrated them with the NCHC, also, so all three conferences could be sharing them. I know that I didn't recognize the lead officials that did our weekend games against BU and UML.

I saw former CCHA officials Hall, Froberg and Sergott do a NMU game this season. Derek Shepherd (old WCHA) and Aaron did a WMU exhibition game. Wilkins did a WMU-ND game. Gawlik has done games as a lead and as an AR. So, no telling what or who we are going to get week to week. Former CCHA offical Kronforst has done some games, too.

Either way, the common opinion for college hockey officiating seems to remain the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                            I assume John McCarron is a law student since I have never seen an opposing team captain have more conversations with, and, lobby officials like that guy did this weekend.
                            Nah, that's a Schafer thing. After almost every call he has the captain discuss something with the ref.
                            Cornell '82

"The first time I went to a Cornell game, I was in awe. I'm a big believer that sports fans should get out and see everything -- the Indy 500, the Super Bowl, the Kentucky Derby. I've seen all that, and there's nothing like Lynah Rink." - Carl McKee, father of Cornell Goalie, David McKee

Comment

Rivalry
                              States--Colorado vs Nebraska
                              Summit League--Denver vs Omaha
                              NCHC--DU vs UNO
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X