Topic for Discussion - Ages of DIII hockey players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Topic for Discussion - Ages of DIII hockey players

I'm getting excited for this upcoming year and woke up this morning with not much to do. I started thinking about the ages of DIII players and wanted to somehow figure out the average age of each team. This really didn't take as long as I thought it would with the help of a website (www.eliteprospects.com). I realize that some teams don't have all the birth dates for every player so this isn't 100% accurate, but I feel like it is pretty darn close. Most teams have junior players filling out their rosters and all of their birth dates are on there. When a birthdate wasn't listed, it was most likely a younger player who came right out of High School or Prep School. I've listed the teams from the 2012-2013 season below from youngest in the country to oldest in the country. The ages are present day...so how old each player would be right now. If someone is 21 and 1 month and another player is 21 and 11 months, they are both counted as 21. Again, I realize this isn't 100% accurate but I think it's as close as we can get! It includes the DII schools as well. Would love to get some thoughts about it all...if it's what you expected, if you're surprised to see a team younger/older than you thought they were, etc.

My observations....3 out of the 4 teams that made it to Lake Placid last year are the oldest in the country (Utica, Oswego, Eau Claire). The 2 that made it to the finals were the 2 oldest. The 4th team, Norwich, was the 23rd youngest.

I expected Plattsburgh to be a lot older, but they came in as the 30th youngest. Not only do they seem like the team to beat this year, but they also seem loaded for a couple year run.

I'm a NESCAC follower and I expected most of the NESCACs to all be in the youngest 20 or so. I was surprised to see Williams (#31) and Amherst (#29) as old as they were compared to the other NESCACs...not compared to all the other teams of course. I was extremely surprised to see Middlebury as the 2nd youngest team in the entire country. Following them last year and reading some NESCAC blogs, Middlebury could be gearing up for another run in a year or two. I also expected Bowdoin (#16) to be a little older based on the size and speed of some of their players.

The average age of all DII/DIII teams is 21.54.

The difference in age between the youngest two schools (Stonehill 20.0 and Middlebury 20.23) and the oldest two schools (Eau Claire 22.75 and Oswego 22.95) is almost 3 years. Crazy when you think about it like that. If Oswego played Stonehill it would be like everyone on Oswego was 23 and everyone on Stonehill was 20. With a game roster of 21 players, that an extra 63 years of experience! 52.5 years of experience for the Middlebury vs. Eau Claire game.

The list is below...sorry about making such a long post...I wasn't sure how else to get it in here. Would love to get a good discussion going about it all!

Avg. Age Team
    1 20 Stonehill
    2 20.23 Middlebury
    3 20.41 Nazareth
    4 20.63 Southern New Hampshire
    5 20.63 Suffold
    6 20.63 Tufts
    7 20.64 St. Johns
    8 20.67 Trinity
    9 20.7 Conn. College
    10 20.77 Colby
    11 20.8 Assumption
    12 20.8 Babson
    13 20.92 Concordia Univ.
    14 20.95 Hamilton
    15 20.95 Skidmore
    16 21.05 Bowdoin
    17 21.1 Wesleyan
    18 21.11 Lawrence
    19 21.14 Fitchberg
    20 21.15 Hamline
    21 21.15 Southern Maine
    22 21.16 Salve Regina
    23 21.2 Norwich
    24 21.24 New England
    25 21.26 Lake Forest
    26 21.28 Nichols
    27 21.3 St. Olaf
    28 21.35 Umass Dartmouth
    29 21.36 Amherst
    30 21.38 SUNY Plattsburgh
    31 21.38 Williams
    32 21.4 Curry
    33 21.4 SUNY Canton
    34 21.42 SUNY Brockport
    35 21.43 Morrisville State
    36 21.43 Univ. of New England
    37 21.45 Finalndia
    38 21.5 Saint Anselm
    39 21.53 Franklin Pierce
    40 21.58 St. Michaels
    41 21.59 Western New England
    42 21.64 Bethel
    43 21.65 Becker
    44 21.65 Elmira
    45 21.65 Umass Boston
    46 21.69 St. Thomas
    47 21.71 Johnson & Wales
    48 21.71 Salem State
    49 21.73 Concordia College
    50 21.79 Worcester
    51 21.83 Northland
    52 21.86 Framingham
    53 21.88 SUNY Geneseo
    54 21.88 Wentworth
    55 21.91 Gustavus Adolphus
    56 21.91 SUNY Cortland
    57 21.95 Augusburg
    58 21.96 Castleton
    59 22 SUNY Potsdam
    60 22.04 Adrian
    61 22.05 Hobart
    62 22.07 Saint Mary's
    63 22.12 Wis. Superior
    64 22.17 Wis. Stevens Point
    65 22.17 Westfield
    66 22.19 Manhattanville
    67 22.19 Marian
    68 22.2 Wis. River Falls
    69 22.21 SUNY Fredonia
    70 22.24 Buffalo State
    71 22.25 MSOE
    72 22.26 St. Norbert
    73 22.28 Neumann
    74 22.36 St. Scholastica
    75 22.36 Plymouth State
    76 22.36 Wis. Stout
    77 22.5 Utica
    78 22.75 Wis. Eau Claire
    79 22.95 SUNY Oswego

Re: Topic for Discussion - Ages of DIII hockey players

The average age of a US undergraduate is 21.3 years - 18.7 years at initial enrollment.
    Larry Normandin
    SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
    WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by fanofhockey1 View Post
      I'm getting excited for this upcoming year and woke up this morning with not much to do. I started thinking about the ages of DIII players and wanted to somehow figure out the average age of each team. This really didn't take as long as I thought it would with the help of a website (www.eliteprospects.com). I realize that some teams don't have all the birth dates for every player so this isn't 100% accurate, but I feel like it is pretty darn close. Most teams have junior players filling out their rosters and all of their birth dates are on there. When a birthdate wasn't listed, it was most likely a younger player who came right out of High School or Prep School. I've listed the teams from the 2012-2013 season below from youngest in the country to oldest in the country. The ages are present day...so how old each player would be right now. If someone is 21 and 1 month and another player is 21 and 11 months, they are both counted as 21. Again, I realize this isn't 100% accurate but I think it's as close as we can get! It includes the DII schools as well. Would love to get some thoughts about it all...if it's what you expected, if you're surprised to see a team younger/older than you thought they were, etc.

My observations....3 out of the 4 teams that made it to Lake Placid last year are the oldest in the country (Utica, Oswego, Eau Claire). The 2 that made it to the finals were the 2 oldest. The 4th team, Norwich, was the 23rd youngest.

I expected Plattsburgh to be a lot older, but they came in as the 30th youngest. Not only do they seem like the team to beat this year, but they also seem loaded for a couple year run.

I'm a NESCAC follower and I expected most of the NESCACs to all be in the youngest 20 or so. I was surprised to see Williams (#31) and Amherst (#29) as old as they were compared to the other NESCACs...not compared to all the other teams of course. I was extremely surprised to see Middlebury as the 2nd youngest team in the entire country. Following them last year and reading some NESCAC blogs, Middlebury could be gearing up for another run in a year or two. I also expected Bowdoin (#16) to be a little older based on the size and speed of some of their players.

The average age of all DII/DIII teams is 21.54.

The difference in age between the youngest two schools (Stonehill 20.0 and Middlebury 20.23) and the oldest two schools (Eau Claire 22.75 and Oswego 22.95) is almost 3 years. Crazy when you think about it like that. If Oswego played Stonehill it would be like everyone on Oswego was 23 and everyone on Stonehill was 20. With a game roster of 21 players, that an extra 63 years of experience! 52.5 years of experience for the Middlebury vs. Eau Claire game.

The list is below...sorry about making such a long post...I wasn't sure how else to get it in here. Would love to get a good discussion going about it all!

Avg. Age Team
      1 20 Stonehill
      2 20.23 Middlebury
      3 20.41 Nazareth
      4 20.63 Southern New Hampshire
      5 20.63 Suffold
      6 20.63 Tufts
      7 20.64 St. Johns
      8 20.67 Trinity
      9 20.7 Conn. College
      10 20.77 Colby
      11 20.8 Assumption
      12 20.8 Babson
      13 20.92 Concordia Univ.
      14 20.95 Hamilton
      15 20.95 Skidmore
      16 21.05 Bowdoin
      17 21.1 Wesleyan
      18 21.11 Lawrence
      19 21.14 Fitchberg
      20 21.15 Hamline
      21 21.15 Southern Maine
      22 21.16 Salve Regina
      23 21.2 Norwich
      24 21.24 New England
      25 21.26 Lake Forest
      26 21.28 Nichols
      27 21.3 St. Olaf
      28 21.35 Umass Dartmouth
      29 21.36 Amherst
      30 21.38 SUNY Plattsburgh
      31 21.38 Williams
      32 21.4 Curry
      33 21.4 SUNY Canton
      34 21.42 SUNY Brockport
      35 21.43 Morrisville State
      36 21.43 Univ. of New England
      37 21.45 Finalndia
      38 21.5 Saint Anselm
      39 21.53 Franklin Pierce
      40 21.58 St. Michaels
      41 21.59 Western New England
      42 21.64 Bethel
      43 21.65 Becker
      44 21.65 Elmira
      45 21.65 Umass Boston
      46 21.69 St. Thomas
      47 21.71 Johnson & Wales
      48 21.71 Salem State
      49 21.73 Concordia College
      50 21.79 Worcester
      51 21.83 Northland
      52 21.86 Framingham
      53 21.88 SUNY Geneseo
      54 21.88 Wentworth
      55 21.91 Gustavus Adolphus
      56 21.91 SUNY Cortland
      57 21.95 Augusburg
      58 21.96 Castleton
      59 22 SUNY Potsdam
      60 22.04 Adrian
      61 22.05 Hobart
      62 22.07 Saint Mary's
      63 22.12 Wis. Superior
      64 22.17 Wis. Stevens Point
      65 22.17 Westfield
      66 22.19 Manhattanville
      67 22.19 Marian
      68 22.2 Wis. River Falls
      69 22.21 SUNY Fredonia
      70 22.24 Buffalo State
      71 22.25 MSOE
      72 22.26 St. Norbert
      73 22.28 Neumann
      74 22.36 St. Scholastica
      75 22.36 Plymouth State
      76 22.36 Wis. Stout
      77 22.5 Utica
      78 22.75 Wis. Eau Claire
      79 22.95 SUNY Oswego
      I expect Oswego's average age to drop like a stone this year
      http://www.patriottreeco.com

Comment

Originally posted by OSU2010 View Post
        I expect Oswego's average age to drop like a stone this year
        Correct. I think what needs to be done (now that he has most of the data) is find the average freshman age per school. Numbers like this are inflated when you have a senior heavy team like OSU and a freshman heavy team like Plattsburgh. The question that's raised is the average age of incoming players.
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Great discussion. Very interesting. From my casual observation I've noticed a lot of prep school players come right out of school and go straight to the NESCAC. A. Better students go to better schools. B. many prep school kids spend at least 1 extra year in school due to either repeating a year or pg'ing.

I would have, and still do think the age you post as average age would be the average age of a freshman entering school. Not the average age of the team. It seems to me most kids play a year, maybe 2 of juniors. Freshman would be 20.5 and seniors would be 24.5. Making the average around 22.5 depending on the distribution of class year(freshman through senior).

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo46 View Post
            Great discussion. Very interesting. From my casual observation I've noticed a lot of prep school players come right out of school and go straight to the NESCAC. A. Better students go to better schools. B. many prep school kids spend at least 1 extra year in school due to either repeating a year or pg'ing.

I would have, and still do think the age you post as average age would be the average age of a freshman entering school. Not the average age of the team. It seems to me most kids play a year, maybe 2 of juniors. Freshman would be 20.5 and seniors would be 24.5. Making the average around 22.5 depending on the distribution of class year(freshman through senior).
            Using the NESCAC blog that list the incoming recruits, here are the current average age of the NESCAC recruiting classes. Middlebury has the youngest class of incoming recruits to go along with the 2nd youngest DII/DIII team last year. Hamilton, going with more junior products than prep school kids, is the oldest incoming group of freshmen. All in all, the NESCACs are all very close in terms of age. The average age of the conference as a whole is 19.549. Anyone else have any interests in doing their favorite league?

Middlebury - 19
            Tufts - 19.375
            Conn. College - 19.4
            Williams - 19.4
            Wesleyan - 19.625
            Trinity - 19.64
            Amherst - 19.6
            Colby - 19.75
            Bowdoin - 19.7
            Hamilton - 20

Comment

Your initial methodology is flawed. A team heaavily loaded with upperclassmen will have a higher "average" age than a predominately freshman-sophmore team. If you expand your NESCAC incoming ages you would have something. Perhaps you won't have much to do tomorrow morning and you can expand this.
              Formerly known as NUSuntan

Comment

The other question is how do D-III ages compare to D-I and as someone mentioned, you'd have to include some sort of variance factor that accounts for the makeup of the team by class year.

Comment

Follow this thought further, what ist he average age of NCAA football, baseball, basketball players ( DI-DIII), who are not privileged to be paid...sorry...receive scholarships to play junior hockey (USHL, BCHL, NAHL, EJHL, AtJHL, etc.)? Why does the NCAA look past this for hockey?

Comment

Originally posted by reggiedunlop View Post
                    Follow this thought further, what ist he average age of NCAA football, baseball, basketball players ( DI-DIII), who are not privileged to be paid...sorry...receive scholarships to play junior hockey (USHL, BCHL, NAHL, EJHL, AtJHL, etc.)? Why does the NCAA look past this for hockey?
                    Speaking only for US Juniors
                    USHL - totally free to player
                    NAHL - player pays billeting only
                    the rest - player pays for it all.

The NCAA has no problem with any of this. What the NCAA WOULD have a problem with is some players paying and a select few not (unless it was income related)
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

IMHO-addresses financial structure for u.s. junior hockey: http://oldtimehockeyfornow.blogspot....or-hockey.html

Comment

Originally posted by The Real Georgia Peach View Post
                        Your initial methodology is flawed. A team heaavily loaded with upperclassmen will have a higher "average" age than a predominately freshman-sophmore team. If you expand your NESCAC incoming ages you would have something. Perhaps you won't have much to do tomorrow morning and you can expand this.
                        I was going to post the exact thing. Well, except for the last sentence...lol!

Comment

Something that gets overlooked is when kids are recruited. if a kid is going for the dream of a D1 scholarship and playing in the USHL or the NAHL Coaches in D3 will hold off recuiting till the kid gets close to aging out. This is out of respect for the kid's dream. It appears that the Junior path has a longer tradition in the west, probably do to the NAHL and USHL are fairly close. What parent wants to shell out $4000. to $6000. a year for their kid to play in the EJHL, tougher choice than the NA or the USHL. What coach wouldn't want an older, more mature kid to Coach?

Comment

Originally posted by 2freshedges View Post
                            Something that gets overlooked is when kids are recruited. if a kid is going for the dream of a D1 scholarship and playing in the USHL or the NAHL Coaches in D3 will hold off recuiting till the kid gets close to aging out. This is out of respect for the kid's dream. It appears that the Junior path has a longer tradition in the west, probably do to the NAHL and USHL are fairly close. What parent wants to shell out $4000. to $6000. a year for their kid to play in the EJHL, tougher choice than the NA or the USHL. What coach wouldn't want an older, more mature kid to Coach?
                            They certainly recruit the older players but apparently they aren't that happy with the trend. At Parker's BU retirement presser he mentioned complaining about the age of current players with his former player, longtime Bowdoin coach Terry Meagher.

Comment

Originally posted by nescachockey View Post
                              They certainly recruit the older players but apparently they aren't that happy with the trend. At Parker's BU retirement presser he mentioned complaining about the age of current players with his former player, longtime Bowdoin coach Terry Meagher.
                              Parker spent a lifetime turning boys into men, so its understandable he wished it could have stayed that way...parents today fueling their kids chasing a dream until they are no longer kids...
                              LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Working...
                              X