X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU 2013-2014: Ready to Quinn

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Our powerplay is great???
    They have the 3rd best PP% in HE despite having the 9th best offense. They do something different (better) when they are up a man... maybe that something is just not playing the 3rd or 4th lines.
    Last edited by Agganis; 12-16-2013, 03:48 PM.

Comment

The reason why I'm most optimistic about Quinn is because his recruiting was stellar. Now he's trying to win with guys not of his own choosing and who may not fit the style he's trying to play. So, do you change how you want to do things to fit what you have, or do you implement your own way for the benefit of the few kids that you want to build around, even if it means taking a few extra losses during the year? I have no problem with a down year or two if there's a sustained payoff afterwards and I think most fans would agree with that.
      Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
        They have the 3rd best PP% in HE despite having the 11th best offense. They do something different (better) when they are up a man... maybe that something is just not playing the 3rd or 4th lines.
        USCHO has them listed as 7th in Hockey East (maybe that is league games only). 20.29% overall. Last year we were 17.49%, the year before that 22.84% so it seems somewhat consistent over the past few years???

Also... I really doubt that Quinn has one foot out the door for the NHL.... unless something about the dynamic of working at BU is very very different from what he anticipated. I think he will be here and be successfull for a while (just my gut feeling).
        Last edited by ericredaxe; 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Mookie heard Quinn say in the club room at his introduction meeting that this was not a rebuilding situation. That things were not broken. That pieces were in place. And that tree was a very good class of recruits coming in with him.
          When that comment was made the previous coach was sitting 15 feet away. Not the place to be critical

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
            Given his generally sub-par to putrid season thus far, I'm not exactly sure what O'Regan's prospects are at this point outside of BU hockey. Were he kicking butt every night, or even setting up perfect passes that his linemates were whiffing on, I'd say fine but most of the time you don't even notice him on the ice. That's not a recipe for bigger and better things, so in his case I'd strongly advise staying the 4 years, bagging a degree and if he has a solid junior and senior year the sky's the limit. For him to leave early from a position of negotiating strength with whoever has his rights, he'll need a HE MVP level performance next year.
            I wouldn't have recommended that Warsofsky, Cohen, Bonino, Coyle, Clandening, Nieto, Gill, or Cisse leave early either. I mean it worked out for Coyle, Bonino (though there's really no reason Bonino shouldn't have stayed another year), and Nieto (he's at least palyed a few games at the NHL level), but these players seem to think that all they have to do is have a decent year in college and then they'll just make their living playing hockey. Like Colby Cohen and Sahir Gill and Yasin Cisse are so confident they'll make a good living playing hockey that they can't spend one more season playing against top tier college teams and getting a college degree to fall back on? Colby Cohen left for the pros close to 4 years ago and has played 3 games in the NHL. Nieto will probably end up playing consistently at the NHL level and making good money, but did he need to leave after his junior year? Was he that confident? He was definitely good (real good occasionally), but he wasn't even the top scorer on a team that missed the NCAA tournament. These guys playing for BU seem to think they're destined to make millions and be a star in the NHL and BU is just a waiting room. They figure they'll come here and live the life partying and being the star athlete. Like the upcoming game isn't really a big deal because the scouts aren't there or it doesn't matter and they just have to bide their time until the team that drafted them comes calling. Seems like just a lot of lazy prima donnas with inflated egos and expectations for their future have been coming through BU. This year seems to have fewer (if any) of those types, but it also seems to be lacking in talent as well. Can BU maybe get some players with talent and a will to win?

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Our powerplay is great???
            Ok good. I think anything over 20% is definitely good. Over 23% would be great.

Comment

• Originally posted by DLG View Post
              When that comment was made the previous coach was sitting 15 feet away. Not the place to be critical
              i thought it was a good place to be honest. (pirate, this was not a presser, but in the club room for donors/club seat holders/etc) certainly when one of the first questions was whether or not quinn was going to clean up the behavior problems or let it happen over and over like the previous coach. then someone asked about the putrid power play that we've been forced to watch for the past however many years.
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

So, do you change how you want to do things to fit what you have, or do you implement your own way for the benefit of the few kids that you want to build around, even if it means taking a few extra losses during the year? I have no problem with a down year or two if there's a sustained payoff afterwards and I think most fans would agree with that.
                and those that don't post here , lol. For those, give the freaking guy a chance! its totally insane this whole thing youze are talking about.

Comment

I'm sure Quinn will do a great job in the long run. But, any coach that gets drastically outplayed by Merrimack and Bentley in 3 straight games is fair game for questioning.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                    Nieto will probably end up playing consistently at the NHL level and making good money, but did he need to leave after his junior year?
                    There was tremendous pressure on drafted kids to leave after junior year because of the previous CBA and the rules governing free agency/draft rights after the fourth year of college. I am not totally sure if that's changed since the last lockout but that's my understanding of how it worked since the '04 lockout ended.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by RefereeGrav View Post
                      I'm sure Quinn will do a great job in the long run. But, any coach that gets drastically outplayed by Merrimack and Bentley in 3 straight games is fair game for questioning.
                      I think that is a very fair thing to say. We can't forget that there is going to be some learning curve for the new head coach as well. And I agree, I'm sure he will do a great job in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrance View Post
                        I wouldn't have recommended that Warsofsky, Cohen, Bonino, Coyle, Clandening, Nieto, Gill, or Cisse leave early either. I mean it worked out for Coyle, Bonino (though there's really no reason Bonino shouldn't have stayed another year), and Nieto (he's at least palyed a few games at the NHL level), but these players seem to think that all they have to do is have a decent year in college and then they'll just make their living playing hockey. Like Colby Cohen and Sahir Gill and Yasin Cisse are so confident they'll make a good living playing hockey that they can't spend one more season playing against top tier college teams and getting a college degree to fall back on? Colby Cohen left for the pros close to 4 years ago and has played 3 games in the NHL. Nieto will probably end up playing consistently at the NHL level and making good money, but did he need to leave after his junior year? Was he that confident? He was definitely good (real good occasionally), but he wasn't even the top scorer on a team that missed the NCAA tournament. These guys playing for BU seem to think they're destined to make millions and be a star in the NHL and BU is just a waiting room. They figure they'll come here and live the life partying and being the star athlete. Like the upcoming game isn't really a big deal because the scouts aren't there or it doesn't matter and they just have to bide their time until the team that drafted them comes calling. Seems like just a lot of lazy prima donnas with inflated egos and expectations for their future have been coming through BU. This year seems to have fewer (if any) of those types, but it also seems to be lacking in talent as well. Can BU maybe get some players with talent and a will to win?

Ok good. I think anything over 20% is definitely good. Over 23% would be great.
                        you are missing one thing
                        most of the players you mentioned could care less about a BU degree. They came there to play hockey and get biggr and stronger. They are that at 21/22 and its time to move on and play 70-80 games vs losing to Bentley.

Bonino would not have benefited 1% by staying another year. Colby Cohen would be doing the same thing either way and can always get the few credits in the summer and on line. Gill would still be in echl and his degree at BU means zero from where he comes from, even though he can still get it if he wants

Comment

Terrance you're lumping together a lot of players who left for different reasons.

Bonino wasn't going to accomplish anything more here and had NHL level talent. Cohen was an awful defenseman, he might as well scram while still having some glow from being championship game MVP even though he was terrible that whole game until the last 5 seconds. Coyle's style of play wasn't fitting with the dump and suck, constipated offense so he left. Cisse was a bust so he left. Nieto and Gill probably felt there was no point toiling on a bad team for one last year.

Regarding O'Regan, the team should be getting better, and as it does he has a chance to showcase his skills more. His best move is most likely to try to put on a show in college and develop some better skills. He's taken a big step backward this year and if any scouts are at the games they surely can see the same thing.

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

Comment

Cohen was an awful defenseman, he might as well scram while still having some glow from being championship game MVP even though he was terrible that whole game until the last 5 seconds.
                            All the d-men were awful in that game. Didn't he practically lead the team in goals most of the next year? Colby hating is just your thing forever?
                            Boston University 2009 Champs
                            Notre Dame 2012-?

Comment

Admittedly I probably haven't watched BU throughout the entire season, but I know I've seen them enough to say that the players are not responding to Quinn's system. He needs time to phase it in, but during the Bentley game, BU was predictable. They played a disinterested style, and the players looked visibly disinterested in the style. I don't know what's going on, but they all looked like they'd all rather have been somewhere else but on that ice. And Bentley's 2-goal second period just buried them. Walking off the ice, the team into the locker room on the jumbotron looked defeated. THat's all on the coaches. For Quinn to stand at his presser and say, "there's going to be changes" and he's mad means that the season is in danger of falling off the rails really fast IMHO. I don't know if it's youth or what, but at this point, it's a matter of his coaching doing something drastic. IN 3 games, they've unraveled the improvements they made earlier in the season. They were outclassed in every facet of the game.

Maybe the break before Harvard will do them good.
                              Last edited by Humanoid; 12-17-2013, 09:30 AM. Reason: wrote third period instead of 2nd period.
                              Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by candycanes99 View Post
                                All the d-men were awful in that game. Didn't he practically lead the team in goals most of the next year? Colby hating is just your thing forever?
                                I don't think mind-reading is your strong suit, so I suggest you keep your day job, whatever that is. Cohen was a bad defenseman his whole career. He was slow and clumsy and easy to get around.

Having said that, and not knowing him personally, him scoring that goal was a beautiful thing, and if it got him a cup of coffee in the pros and a few more ho's visiting his dorm room, good for him. Far from having anything against the man, again a person I don't know off the ice, I wish the clumsy bahstid all the best.

Comment

Working...
                                X