Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Barn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    UNO recruit Avery Peterson is the 2014 winner of the "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" award:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/249201251.html

I love how this Minneapolis Star Tribune article makes no mention of where he is going to be going to school---or where 3 other candidates for the award are headed with him.

Congrats, Avery, and, welcome to Omaha. You, too, Phil, Steve, and Luc.
    To be fair to the Star Tribune, that was just the press release from the organization that gave the award away. I've read some other articles today where UNO was mentioned.

On a side note, I live in Eden Prairie like Steve and Luc, and you guys will love those two. Luc played the entire state tournament with a broken hand, and if that's not a heart-and-soul player, I don't know what is.

Comment

UNO recruit Avery Peterson is the 2014 winner of the "Mr. Minnesota Hockey" award:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/249201251.html

I love how this Minneapolis Star Tribune article makes no mention of where he is going to be going to school---or where 3 other candidates for the award are headed with him.

Congrats, Avery, and, welcome to Omaha. You, too, Phil, Steve, and Luc.
      Why? The award is for his high school achievements. Not sure why it's the Star Tribune's job to discuss your program's recruiting. Sure, they could have probably mentioned where he was going to play for college. I am sure HE would have appreciated that, but your take on the number of finalists heading to UNO is a bit overblown.

If this were 5 years ago, having 4 of the Minnesota Mr. Hockey finalists would mean a whole lot more. You've got to consider the players who would have been eligible to win the award, but forewent their senior season to play with the NTDP (Glover, Dougherty, Gersich) or the USHL (Sheehy, Hurley, etc..). There were roughly 30 players who left MN high school hockey early to play juniors, and a number of other players who have played all of their hockey at programs like Shattuck, who would probably have been a factor.

It's a nice award, and I am glad Peterson was rewarded for coming back for his senior season, but the award just isn't the same as it used to be. Minnesota high school hockey isn't quite the same, and is still changing. A larger and larger percentage of this state's top players aren't hanging around until their senior season to win the award.

Not saying the recruits you landed aren't good (Peterson is a Wild draft pick and we are excited about him too). Just explaining the reality of MNHS hockey these days. Sad to see, but probably inevitable. It will still be a fun and competitive league, but will probably become more and more of a younger player's league. And since the Mr Hockey award is handed out to the top senior player, that award will mean less and less.
      Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-10-2014, 02:32 PM.
      @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
      On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
      High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        Why? The award is for his high school achievements. Not sure why it's the Star Tribune's job to discuss your program's recruiting. Sure, they could have probably mentioned where he was going to play for college. I am sure HE would have appreciated that, but your take on the number of finalists heading to UNO is a bit overblown.

If this were 5 years ago, having 4 of the Minnesota Mr. Hockey finalists would mean a whole lot more. You've got to consider the players who would have been eligible to win the award, but forewent their senior season to play with the NTDP (Glover, Dougherty, Gersich) or the USHL (Sheehy, Hurley, etc..). There were roughly 30 players who left MN high school hockey early to play juniors, and a number of other players who have played all of their hockey at programs like Shattuck, who would probably have been a factor.

It's a nice award, and I am glad Peterson was rewarded for coming back for his senior season, but the award just isn't the same as it used to be. Minnesota high school hockey isn't quite the same, and is still changing. A larger and larger percentage of this state's top players aren't hanging around until their senior season to win the award.

Not saying the recruits you landed aren't good (Peterson is a Wild draft pick and we are excited about him too). Just explaining the reality of MNHS hockey these days. Sad to see, but probably inevitable. It will still be a fun and competitive league, but will probably become more and more of a younger player's league. And since the Mr Hockey award is handed out to the top senior player, that award will mean less and less.
        Yeah, I asked about the why's of all this in your (Gopher) thread and got a lot of informative replies that put this in it's proper context for me. I had no idea so many high school players were leaving before they even became seniors. That certainly has to water down the award to some degree, I am sure.

That said, WCCO in Minneapolis sure took note since they ran a story about UNO recruiting in Minnesota during their nightly newscast that was in the Mr. Minnesota Hockey-context. If you didn't see my post of this before, here it is, again:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/0...ockey-players/
        Last edited by Red Cows; 03-10-2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I asked about the why's of all this in your (Gopher) thread and got a lot of informative replies that put this in it's proper context for me. I had no idea so many high school players were leaving before they even became seniors. That certainly has to water down the award to some degree, I am sure.

That said, WCCO in Minneapolis sure took note since they ran a story about UNO recruiting in Minnesota during their nightly newscast that was in the Mr. Minnesota Hockey-context. If you didn't see my post of this before, here it is, again:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014/0...ockey-players/
          Don't get me wrong, I am thrilled that these kids are getting an opportunity to play D1 hockey, and for a great program and great coach. I'm an Eden Prairie alum and it is awesome to see Spinner and Snuggarud get the opportunity.

I saw that article. Nice piece. It will be fun to see what those kids can do at UNO.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

UNO defenseman recruit Luc Snuggerud from Eden Prairie, MN wins the 2014 Reed Larson Award given annually to the top senior boys’ high school hockey defenseman in Minnesota:

http://www.letsplayhockey.com/todays...son-award.html

Besides his having been a finalist, too, for the "Mr. Minnesota Hockey Award".

Snuggerud is the second-highest rated high school prospect in the NHL Central Scouting ranking for the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, besides.

Congrats, Luc, and, welcome aboard!

God only knows we can use some blue line help.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post

If this were 5 years ago, having 4 of the Minnesota Mr. Hockey finalists would mean a whole lot more. You've got to consider the players who would have been eligible to win the award, but forewent their senior season to play with the NTDP And since the Mr Hockey award is handed out to the top senior player, that award will mean less and less.
              It always impresses me more to see high school kids finish playing at their high school until they graduate and the same goes for college kids who don't skip out of college to turn pro. One bad concussion in the pros and I'll bet a player would be bad to have that college degree in place.
              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Hard hitting () expose' about UNO being jerked around by the City of Omaha and MECA respective to the upcoming NCHC tournament and the scheduling of a Demi Lovato concert that conflicts with it:

http://www.omaha.com/section/mavs

Rob White of the Omaha World Herald should be ashamed for writing this complete and total fluff piece. He apparently only asked Josh Archibald, Michael Young, and Dean Blais about this. What did you think they were going to say about this situation? I could have predicted their quotes without you writing this article. Do you really think they would say that this might be some sort of problem?

How about asking the legion of irate UNO fans, Rob, or the school's administration, or, the Athletic Department about this?

I guess that would have required him to actually do his job.

How about a mention of the untold financial loss the school will be taking here as result of this? This gave the school one less day to sell tickets and forces them to sell tickets for weeknight games, too, which is a problem here relative to where the game is and where the population base that goes to games live.

My prediction? The Thursday night game will be among the worst attended games of the season, if not THE worst. All thanks to the City of Omaha and MECA.

FYI, the Omaha World Herald has not won a Pulitzer Prize in journalism since 1943, one of the longest droughts by a major daily in this country. This sort of article is a window into why this is.

Comment

UNO recruit Avery Peterson of Grand Rapids named the Associated Press Minnesota High School Player of the Year:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wild/249372171.html

And is joined on the all-state first team by another UNO recruit, Luc Snuggerud of Eden Prairie.

Comment

This article is a couple months old, but it is worth reposting here about UNO recruiting in Minnesota:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...ckey-prospects

Even though Gopher fans are sort of pooh-poohing UNO's incoming class as "one they wouldn't trade their incoming class for", UNO's class sure seems to be attracting and commanding a good deal of attention. I know it has attracted mine, as well as that of our fans.

In the FWIW category, here, too, is the UNO recruiting thread at Mavpuck:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9535

Comment

• Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Anybody watching the UNO/DU series tonight, streaming, on the NCHC web site shouldn't have much trouble picking me out of the crowd since I'll have very little company.

Ticket sales are abysmal. My bet is the crowd will be under 5,000 tonight.

It is a very nice day and I have hopes for a good walk-up.

Starting this series on Thursday night is a disaster for ticket sales. Thank you, MECA and the City of Omaha.

Comment

• Re: UNO '13-'14 Season Thread: Barnstorming Through a New League and Raising a New Ba

Anybody watching the UNO/DU series tonight, streaming, on the NCHC web site shouldn't have much trouble picking me out of the crowd since I'll have very little company.

Ticket sales are abysmal. My bet is the crowd will be under 5,000 tonight.

It is a very nice day and I have hopes for a good walk-up.

Starting this series on Thursday night is a disaster for ticket sales. Thank you, MECA and the City of Omaha.
                        Well I'm out of work pretty much and if nothing comes in by April 15 I will have to close my doors so I'll be watching from home. My source of occasional free tickets was unavailable today. I wouldn't mind letting the air out of demo lavotti's bus tires for entertainment purposes. I predict a fire breathing effort in spite of dean blais' inability to inspire this team.
                        UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

I wouldnt have bought a ticket either if I had to watch that dance off in person.... Embarrassing....
                          Whiney Ferris Knuckle-dragger:"You're exactly right, the WMU students & fans are out of control. The Lawson Lunatics are a bunch of wild animals with zero class or civility"

Comment

Announced crowd of 3,873 and looked like a LOT less than that
                            tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                              Announced crowd of 3,873 and looked like a LOT less than that
                              Yeah, looked like they added one of those 3s onto the beginning or end.
                              Originally posted by SJHovey
                              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                              Originally posted by Brenthoven
                              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                                Yeah, looked like they added one of those 3s onto the beginning or end.
                                My guess at the arena was 3,000 or so. The building is huge (it seats 17,100 for hockey) and the upper level opposite the camera side was open as well (read: people you can't necessarily see on TV).

Pretty lackluster game for a tourney game. It was 70+ today and the ice was bad not even 10 minutes into each period. Big detriment to a great skating team like UNO is.

The hardcore UNO fans were at this game, though. The people that came represented.

If not for a goal by Montpetit that now has a place on the prettiest in school history list, maybe, we're still playing, perhaps.

Despite UNO taking 4 of 5 from DU this season, even as UNO fan, we don't look manifestly better than DU to me.

Looks like DU decided to goon it up and go all Reg Dunlap to some degree since they pretty clearly targeted Josh Archibald. Was easily the angriest crowd I have seen at a UNO game, despite the actual size of the crowd, in some time. Archibald's ridiculous double minor made Coach Blais perhaps the maddest I have ever seen him on our bench. He almost never leans over the boards to yell at or even talk to a referee and he looked like he was actually ready to go after one tonight. Not the best officiated game I have ever seen, either.

There will be quite a few more people at the game tomorrow night.

Comment

Working...
                                X