Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2013-2014 Union Dutchmen - Can U Three Peat?

One thing I always say when rink improvements come up is that I would rather attend a game in a sold out 2000 seat rink than a game that's only 1/2 to 3/4 full in a larger rink. Look at some of the teams that play in borderline pro rinks and how many actually fill the place? I watched some of the CC and Wisconsin game in what appeared to be a great venue...and they didn't appear to draw flies. My thoughts are that we should update and enhance Messa as it is...and not push for a flashy rink and lose the home ice advantage that comes from the on campus experience.

Comment

I would not expect an off campus facility. In addition to the cost, it is out of character for the college. I think an upgrade of Messa is likely the only viable alternative, even if it means losing some seating. If capacity is reduced, it will make it a harder ticket to get and likely increase ticket sales and sellouts. I was pretty impressed with the recent crowds especially with the students on break. There were just under 2,000 for Dartmouth, for a midweek game during semester break. The current facility is woefully inadequate if not potentially dangerous and I am hopeful that something constructive is near which will address these issues and maintain the current atmosphere which makes it such a challenge for visiting teams. Of course I've been harboring the same hope for the past 10 years.
      Last edited by Wholin1; 12-16-2013, 09:19 AM.

Comment

We just need a wealthy alum to donate a few million bucks for a nice upgrade
        LET'S GO UNION DA DA DADADA

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
          We just need a wealthy alum to donate a few million bucks for a nice upgrade
          You in?

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
            You in?
            Sure, let me get back to you in 5-10 years.

If I ever make enough money to make a really significant donation to campus, I can assure you the hockey team/rink will see that $$$.

Comment

I didn't comment on the games in St. Cloud this weekend, but this sums up how I feel: If you had told me before the weekend that we'd go 1-0-1, I would have been very happy. Having said that, being 20 seconds away from a weekend sweep against the #1 team in the country and not being able to close it out is extremely disappointing. I'm not complaining in at all (how could anyone complain about Union's play over the past 4 weeks?), but to come that close and not get the win hurts just a bit.

This has been a hell of a first half and I look forward for what's in store for this team in 2014. Hopefully this season will be a special one -- We got a taste of the Frozen Four in 2012 and I think I speak for everyone when I say we are craving a return.

Comment

Union moves up to #6 in the latest USCHO Poll. http://www.uscho.com/rankings/

1 Minnesota (32) 12- 2-2 978 2
                2 Ferris State (12) 14- 2-3 914 4
                3 Michigan 10- 2-2 888 3
                4 St. Cloud State ( 4) 11- 2-3 855 1
                5 Providence ( 2) 11- 2-3 834 5
                6 Union 12- 3-3 717 10
                7 Boston College 10- 4-2 688 6
                8 Quinnipiac 13- 3-3 685 7
                9 Clarkson 12- 3-1 610 8
                10 Massachusetts-Lowell 11- 5-0 564 9
                11 Yale 6- 3-3 452 11
                12 Miami 9- 7-2 374 12
                13 Notre Dame 10- 7-1 364 13
                14 Wisconsin 8- 5-1 329 15
                15 Cornell 7- 4-2 315 14
                16 Northeastern 9- 5-2 270 16
                17 Denver 9- 6-3 161 20
                18 Lake Superior 10- 7-1 152 17
                19 Nebraska-Omaha 8- 7-1 100 19
                20 Minnesota State 11- 7-0 67 NR
                Others receiving votes: Rensselaer 54, Vermont 47, North Dakota 29, Maine 22, New Hampshire 18, Ohio State 9, Mercyhurst 3, Bentley 1.

Comment

How do we win only 38% of face offs and do so well! puzzling! 6 different players scored this weekend , that's tough to defend against. Perhaps more face off wins more shots on net more scoring opportunities, more goals. solutions anybody?

Comment

I'm more worried about the PK than faceoffs.

Union is 55th out of 59 D1 teams in PK at 75.4%. In their 10 game unbeaten streak, the Dutchmen PK is just 71.4%. Over the last five, the PK is 66.6%.

The team is excelling in spite of it for now, but that's not a number you can be comfortable with long-term.

Obviously, the positives far outweigh the negative with this team, but it has its warts like any other.

Comment

Union moves up in hockey polls
                      http://www.dailygazette.com/weblogs/...e-hockey-poll/

ECAC League Teams Showcased in National Spotlight
                      http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2013-1...National_Polls
                      DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                      DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by rdf8585 View Post
                        I'm more worried about the PK than faceoffs.

Union is 55th out of 59 D1 teams in PK at 75.4%. In their 10 game unbeaten streak, the Dutchmen PK is just 71.4%. Over the last five, the PK is 66.6%.

The team is excelling in spite of it for now, but that's not a number you can be comfortable with long-term.

Obviously, the positives far outweigh the negative with this team, but it has its warts like any other.
                        Great observation, I didn't realize it was so bad, the PK was one of our strong suits too, face offs impact that too but obviously there's more to it than that.

Comment

Union sweeps this week's ECAC Hockey men's awards:

http://bit.ly/1hZhoiX

Comment

Did anyone go to the Garnet Blades event in NYC last night? My invite must have gotten lost in the mail...

Comment

Originally posted by UnionHockeyManiac View Post
                              Did anyone go to the Garnet Blades event in NYC last night? My invite must have gotten lost in the mail...
                              I was there...and yours wasn't lost. Jeremy Welsh donated a Canucks jersey that he and his teammates all signed. It went at auction for $2,500.00.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                                I was there...and yours wasn't lost. Jeremy Welsh donated a Canucks jersey that he and his teammates all signed. It went at auction for $2,500.00.
                                Wow. I assume you had the winning bid?

I don't know why I didn't get an invitation. I had plans last night, but I would have gladly canceled. The event was just 8 blocks from my office.

Comment

Working...
                                X